The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2002, 08:49 PM   #81
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So much for remaining relatively anonymous!
My apologies for not self-editing.

Name (that you go by): Around here, it’s Lostgaeriel.
Future Aspirations: to design space suits or spacecraft for Mars mission
Goal in life: To work for NASA.
Short term goals: To finish my painting of Éowyn & Merry slaying the Witchking and to get thru 2nd year mechanical engineering with a B average next year.
Passion: Science and Art (what else is there?)
Hobbies: astronomy, drawing, painting, photography, hiking, writing poetry, watching baseball (while filling out the score sheet)
Famous for: being a karaoke star (amazed my co-workers at a sales conference)

Fave book: How can I limit it to only one? Cosmos, Contact and The Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan, The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, Persuasion by Jane Austen, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams, Honest to Jesus: Jesus for a New Millennium by Robert W. Funk, Chaos by James Gleick, The Ascent of Man by Jacob Bronowski, Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare, The Challenger Launch Decision: Risky Technology, Culture, and Deviance at NASA by Diane Vaughan, Lost Moon: The Perilous Voyage of Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger, Lewis & Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery by Dayton Duncan and Ken Burns, In His Own Write and A Spaniard in the Works by John Lennon, Recent Forgeries and SIGNLANGUAGE by Viggo Mortensen
Fave movie: 10 – OK? Casablanca, Singin’ in the Rain, You Can’t Take It With You, The Shop Around the Corner, Shane, Henry V (directed by Kenneth Branagh), Star Wars (the original 1977 release – you really had to be there, then), Apollo 13, A Walk on the Moon, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Fave sport: as spectator - baseball (Go Blue Jays!); as participant - hiking and horse-back riding (rarely get a chance at the latter)
Fave store: I’m including ‘services’ as well as ‘stores’ – places with great product and/or great service and attitude. I enjoyed talking with the owner of a great little hole-in-the-wall jewellery store called Vergina Gold Market at 12 Iphestou Street in Athens, Greece more than 20 years ago – bought a ring (nicknamed Narya) that I still love. I wonder if that shop is still there?

In Arizona (9 yrs ago): Turquoise Gallery, Joe Wilcox Indian Den, Native and Nature, and Silver Traditions in Sedona, the Tuba City Trading Post, Warner Bros. Studio Store in Scottsdale and Territorial Book in Tombstone. Finally Found…Antiques, etc. in Raleigh, NC. In Toronto, ON: Queen Street West in general, Efston Science, Aboveground Art Supplies, World’s Biggest Bookstore, Poison Ivy Hair by Design, Henry’s (photo/camera) and Downtown/Broadway Camera. Stratford, ON for the Festival and neighbouring Shakespeare for antiquing. Freeze-dried ice-cream and other delights from Space Trader Gift Shop at Johnson Space Center Houston. Best burgers at B.B. King’s Blues Club in Memphis tied with Fran’s on College St. and Lakeview Lunch on Dundas St., Toronto. Tree-free handmade papers from Fine Paper Co., Pasadena. Best chocolates from Kettle Creek Chocolates in St. Thomas, Digby’s in London and Sugar & Spice in Exeter - ON. Wonderful service when ordering from www.smartartpress.com and www.robertmanngallery.com.
Fave music: Don’t get me started! Queen, The Clash, John Denver, Peter Gabriel, The Beatles, George Harrison, John Lennon, Eagles, Robert Fripp, David Bowie, Brain Eno, Cheap Trick, Talking Heads, Ian Hunter, J. Geils Band, The Police, Arlo Guthrie, Carol King, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens, Simple Minds, Paul Simon, Riuchi Sakamoto, Rush, Judy Garland, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, George Frederick Handel, MASS Ensemble, B.B. King, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Ramones, Eric Clapton, Steve Miller Band, Fleetwood Mac, Doobie Brothers, The Guess Who, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Anthony Way, Charlotte Church, Frank Sinatra (early), Irving Berlin, George & Ira Gershwin, Arthur Freed & Nacio Herb Brown, Pink, Travis Tritt, Shania Twain, etc.
What you can't stand: closed minds and open-to-everything minds
What you plain dislike: licorice
Whom you admire: My mom, my dad, my sister, Carl Sagan, Jim Lovell, Gene Kranz, Martin Luther King Jr., Robert Kennedy, and *sigh* Viggo Mortensen!

What you most love to do: read
Your self-confessed flaws: perfectionist, procrastinator (they go hand-in-hand)
What intrigues/fascinates you: life, the universe and everything
What scares you: life, the universe and everything
Quotation to live by: Lostgaeriel cannot live by one quotation alone. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." — Frank Zappa [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"Always use the word impossible with the greatest caution." — Wernher Von Braun

"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are that good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." — Howard Aiken (1900 - 1973) American mathematician

Additional comments:

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." — Carl Sagan

"It's human nature to stretch, to go, to see, to understand. Exploration is not a choice, really; it's an imperative." — Michael Collins

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]
Old 06-05-2002, 08:54 PM   #82
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Name (that you go by): James nickname: Roadkill (or just Kill more often than not)
Occupation: Support Technician (fromerly Robotics Technician)--troubleshoot/repair industrial machinery (some computer controlled)
Future Aspirations: To go back to school, find someone to publish my rpg (if I ever finish it)
Goal in life: Live comfortably and make enough $ to put my kids through college and retire comfortably
Short term goals: Pay off some minor debts
Passion: RPG's (the paper and dice variety)
Hobbies: RPG's, CRPG's, hiking, camping, reading, partying (drinking german beer and smoking weed, though I rarely do either anymore)
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being sarcastic, wearing lederhosen and generally looking intimidating.

Fave book: The Hobbit
Fave movie: None, but I like action and comedy
Fave sport: Soccer
Fave store: Any bookstore with a decent sci-fi/fantasy section
Fave music: Metal (the harder the better, just leave out the rap style lyrics) and classical

What you can't stand: Rap "music", people talking on cell phones when driving, non-corpreal punishment, organized religeon, anyone who tries to force their views on you, the War On Drugs (it's a failure and waste of tax money), thieves, white collar criminals, political correctness, hypocrites, most forms of propaganda (for whatever)
What you plain dislike: radio and tv commercials (there are too many and they last too long, just to try to brainwash me into using some product/service through repetitive exposure), teeny-boppers blasting their car stereo's after dark in residential area's and the regrettable lack of a public transit system in the USA (socialized medicine would also be nice)
Who you admire: no one
What you most love to do: game
Your self-confessed flaws: procrastination and trying to write too fast so anything written comes out sounding less thought out than it was (like most of my post here, and I have a tendency to get violent when both bored and intoxicated in public establishments
What intrigues/fascinates you: The nighttime sky
What scares you: the concept of Big Brother (and it looks like things are going that way, slowly but surely)
Quotation to live by: don't have one

Additional comments: I do like the quote "wherever you go, there you are"--I don't from who or where it comes.

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Tarthang ]
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 08:57 PM   #83
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Name (that you go by): James nickname: Roadkill (or just Kill more often than not)
Occupation: Support Technician (fromerly Robotics Technician)--troubleshoot/repair industrial machinery (some computer controlled)
Future Aspirations: To go back to school, find someone to publish my rpg (if I ever finish it)
Goal in life: Live comfortably and make enough $ to put my kids through college and retire comfortably
Short term goals: Pay off some minor debts
Passion: RPG's (the paper and dice variety)
Hobbies: RPG's, hiking, camping, reading, partying (drinking german beer and smoking weed, though I rarely do either anymore)
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being sarcastic, wearing lederhosen and generally looking intimidating.

Fave movie: None, but I like action and comedy
Fave store: Any bookstore with a decent sci-fi/fantasy section
Fave music: Metal (the harder the better, just leave out the rap style lyrics) and classical

What you can't stand: Rap "music", people talking on cell phones when driving, non-corpreal punishment, organized religeon, anyone who tries to force their views on you, the War On Drugs (it's a failure and waste of tax money), thieves, white collar criminals, political correctness, hypocrites, most forms of propaganda (for whatever)
What you plain dislike: radio and tv commercials (there are too many and they last too long, just to try to brainwash me into using some product/service through repetitive exposure), teeny-boppers blasting their car stereo's after dark in residential area's and the regrettable lack of a public transit system in the USA (socialized medicine would also be nice)
Who you admire: no one
What you most love to do: game
Your self-confessed flaws: procrastination and trying to write too fast so anything written comes out sounding less thought out than it was (like most of my post here, and I have a tendency to get violent when both bored and intoxicated in public establishments
What intrigues/fascinates you:
What scares you: the concept of Big Brother (and it looks like things are going that way, slowly but surely)
Quotation to live by: don't have one

Additional comments: I do like the quote "wherever you go, there you are"--I don't from who or where it comes.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:04 PM   #84
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Gee, We have a lot of procrastinators! And I'm just a "mother-in'law basher"!

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 06-07-2002, 07:01 AM   #85
Sindacuion
Animated Skeleton

Sindacuion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Name (that you go by): Sindacuion
Future Aspirations: Winning the lottery
Goal in life: Living
Short term goals: Chatting as much as I can, having a laugh
Passion: Baking (you might have noticed)
Hobbies: Baking, swimming, dancing, etc.
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Baking, umm..

Fave book: LotR
Fave movie: LotR: FotR (by now, don't know about the future)
Fave sport: Swimming.
Fave store: Prisma.
Fave music: Mixed.

What you can't stand: Strong perfume (don't ask, bad experiences with old teacher..)
What you plain dislike: Excercise.
Who you admire: People.
What you most love to do: Bake!
Your self-confessed flaws: Biting my fingernails (well, better than biting my toenails! overeating)
What intrigues/fascinates you: LotR.
What scares you: Ghosts!
Quotation to live by: Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Additional comments: Yee-haaw!!

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ June 07, 2002: Message edited by: Sindacuion ]
Old 06-07-2002, 08:18 AM   #86
Rosa_Baggins
Wight

Rosa_Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Name (that you go by):Rosa
Future Aspirations:dunno
Goal in life:to become the best i can be
Short term goals:to pass myexams an tests
Passion:snow sports
Hobbies:skiing,snowboarding,snowblading, gymnastics,horseriding,sprinting,kick boxing and fenceing
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself):talkin to much and being a boffin at art [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Fave book:The Hobbit
Fave movie:LotR,titanic and more in th future prob
Fave sport:...hmmm... horse riding and snowblading.Oh and hockey!!
Fave store:Mcdonalds (sp?)
Fave music: Well i like all types of music.

What you can't stand:People tha think they are hard and are the best at everything.
What you plain dislike:tomatos...yuk!!
Who you admire:People that reach there goals in life and have the determination to do things most people cant.
What you most love to do:singing
Your self-confessed flaws:my drama and acting abilitys...im just really bad at it.
What intrigues/fascinates you:dunno
What scares you:my brother [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quotation to live by:There is never a Rose without thorns......in other words even the most successful people have there bad sides and dont judge people when you first see them.

Additional comments:*sigh*dunno .......hullo!!:P
Old 06-08-2002, 11:24 PM   #87
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Name (that you go by): Susan, I guess. I like that one better than my real name
Future Aspirations: Get through college successfully
Goal in life: Get married and then be somebody's mother
Short term goals: Save a little money
Passion: Reading
Hobbies: Clay sculpture, theater
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Holding dinner parties with my friends (if someone out there reads this and has an objection, I concede that it may be a slight exaggeration [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img])

Fave books: The Last Unicorn and A Fine and Private Place by Peter S Beagle, Watership Down by Richard Adams, Left Hand of Darkness and Earthsea by Ursula K LeGuin, and others as well.
Fave movie: What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Fave sport: Swimming
Fave store: Who shops enough to have a favorite? Something with books in it, I guess. If I had to choose
Fave music: I collect Broadway soundtracks and I also enjoy listening to folk, older rock (meaning 60s and 70s), and the Beatles

What you can't stand: Pretentiousness, bigotry, intolerance
What you plain dislike: Smoking, thoughtlessness
Who you admire: Person I know: Dave, my theater teacher. He's one of the few truly good people that I know.
Person I don't know: Actor Edward Norton because, based on the interviews I've read, he seems intelligent and thoughtful and he loves his mother. He also values his private life, which is something I agree with.
What you most love to do: Read
Your self-confessed flaws: Impatience, extreme personal reserve (meaning I'm not outgoing enough), an intermittent failure to think before I speak.
What intrigues/fascinates you: People who are willing to stand up in front of a crowd of people and not let their fear overcome them. I want to be able to do that!
What scares you: Being abandoned and forgotten by those whom I love
Quotation to live by: "Stop and smell the Roses"

Additional comments: The internet is fascinating because while you're there you can be whomever you want to be. You can be "you", but the "you" you want to be instead of the "you" you really are.

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 06-09-2002, 01:34 AM   #88
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Name:Erin
Future Aspirations:journalist, writer, photographer, archeologist............
Goal in life:to live a long and happy life
Short term goals:do well in high school and college
Passion:music and dance and art
Hobbies:writing, drawing, dancing(jazz, ballet, lyrical, and hip hop), photography, playing the violin, reading
Famous for: dancing and being in the journalism staff at school
Fave book:Lord of the Rings, Speak, Lurlene McDaniel books
Fave movie:Fellowship of the Ring, Rat Race, Meet the Parents, the Mummy Returns
Fave sport:dance(some may not consider it a sport, but I do)
Fave store:Bath and Body Works, Barnes and Noble
Fave music:Top 40 and some kinds of rock
What I can't stand:People who think they're all that, people who won't get off your back, spiders, and nails screeching on chalkboard
What I dislike:math, science, homework in general
Who I admire:My parents-they work so hard to let me do the things I like
What I would most love to do:see the world
What scares me:spiders, really big bugs, not doing well in school
Quotation:none
Comments:I live in the state of Idaho with my 17 year old sister and my parents. I first became interested in LOTR when the movie came out and read the book and the Hobbit in 10 days. I recently discovered this awesome site and come here almost every day. I hope to get to know more fans of Tolkien on this forum.
Ithaeliel-
We seem a lot alike, don't you think? I guess that's why we're friends!
Old 06-09-2002, 01:44 AM   #89
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I almost forgot!
Flaws:I'm shy around people I don't know well, but when I'm with friends and family, I talk way too much and don't let anyone squeeze a word in. As you see, I do that when I write too.
Old 06-09-2002, 07:23 AM   #90
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow Lostgariel (can't spell for toffee, sorry) I love space too. I used to get people saying 'astrology?' and I'd have to correct them with 'no astronomy'. I remember watching Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' on the TV when I was a kid and know most northern constellations and stars plus a bit about planets too. I'm not intelligent enough to work for NASA and the wrong nationality but my brother builds rockets for a hobby and sets them off into the stratosphere (he has to notify the local air traffic control).
Old 06-09-2002, 09:58 AM   #91
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I forgot a really good book: Holes. Hehe, sorry. I just remembered. :P
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:02 AM   #92
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Speak, good book!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 07:46 PM   #93
Lady Ancalima
Pile O'Bones

Location: Born in Rivendell; living currenty in Minas Tirith.
Lady Ancalima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady Ancalima
Sting

Name (that you go by): Allison (some do call me Mornaurwen)
Future Aspirations: I want to be an actor or Archaeologist
Goal in life: ?
Short term goals: Travel around the world
Passion: sports
Hobbies: sports and reading
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Probably for my weirdness and how good I am at Volleyball?

Fave book: The Two Towers
Fave movie: Black Hawk Down
Fave sport: Volleyball
Fave store: ???
Fave music: Anything

What you can't stand: LOUD GUM CHEWING...people bragging about the stupidest things
What you plain dislike:
Who you admire: Lucille Ball
What you most love to do: Sports
Your self-confessed flaws: so many...
What scares you: drowning and never achieving my dreams
Quotation to live by: Your dreams are your dreams, and only you have the power to achieve them. Everyone else are either hepers or obstacles.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:11 PM   #94
Sindacuion
Animated Skeleton

Sindacuion has just left Hobbiton.
Yo Quiero Bailar! (Excuse me, it's late and I'm tired.. I guess.)

[ June 22, 2002: Message edited by: Sindacuion ]
Old 06-22-2002, 11:25 PM   #95
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Name (that you go by): James
Future Aspirations: Happiness
Goal in life: See above
Short term goals: Happiness
Passion: Music - Guitar
Hobbies: Soccer, Video Games, Tolkien, Piano, Trumpet, Bass, Alto Sax
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being the greatest being ever. For more information see my entry in Wight-Bot's database.

Fave book: Hm...random pick - The Hobbit
Fave movie: Fellowship of the Ring
Fave store: Structure ?
Fave music: British rock, mostly. Oasis, Verve, Ride, Sigur Ros, Eric Clapton (Blind Faith, Cream, et. al), Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, King Crimson, Travis, Ocean Colour Scene, George Harrison, Brian Eno, Beatles, Coldplay, Hurricane #1, Heavy Stereo, Tangerine Dream, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Weller, Eric Johnson, Grateful Dead, the Police, U2, Radiohead, Slowdive, Doves, Queen, Spiritualized, Beatles, Peter Gabriel, some John Lennon, Handel, Back, Hadyn, Schubert, Liszt, Chopin, and on, and on, and on...

What you can't stand: Stubbornly stupid people *cough*my girlfriend's mother*cough*
What you plain dislike: See above
Who you admire: ORLANDO BLOOM! (Not really.) Jesus, girls with long hair, me, anyone that puts up with me, Andy Bell, Edge, Richard Ashcroft, Nick McCabe, JRR Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien, etc.
What you most love to do: Spend time with friends.
Your self-confessed flaws: N/A
What intrigues/fascinates you: Stuff.
What scares you: Norhing.
Quotation to live by: '...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.'

Additional comments:
A whole lot of people are really not good at anything. - George Carlin

[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]

[ March 07, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 06-23-2002, 02:23 AM   #96
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
Sting

Name (that you go by): Adam
Future Aspirations: In 18 months, I am marrying the most wonderful person in the world... Boy do I love her. After that, wherever God leads, possibly preaching, teaching, and/or writing.
Goal in life: To bring glory to my Heavenly Father in all I do.
Short term goals: Finding an internship, getting married, getting out of Corn!!! (I mean, Illinois.) Lord, PLEASE send me to Boston or Denver...
Passion: Promoting self-awareness and self-advocacy in the disabled community, ministering to their special physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs (I myself am in a wheelchair).
Hobbies: reading, listening to music, writing, philosophy, theology, politics...
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Well, I was one misspelled word away from making the National Spelling Bee in 6th grade, I placed third in the State DAR Essay Contest the same year...
I've been involved in a few theater productions on the community, high school, and collegiate stages as an actor and assistant director, and finally I was captain of both the Speech and Scholastic Bowl Teams my senior year of high school.
Fave book: LOTR, Catcher in the Rye by Salinger, C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning, any comic book written by Kevin Smith, and of course, the Bible
Fave movie: LOTR: FOTR, Any Star Wars movie, Citizen Kane, The Hustler, Pi, Good Will Hunting, anything directed/written by Kevin Smith (EXCEPT Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back... awful), Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness
Fave sport: Football, Baseball, Soccer (I'm not nearly as big on sports as I used to be)
Fave store: Best Buy, any independent book and/or record store
Fave music: You asked for it - Rock: Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, Foo Fighters, Ben Folds, The Cars, Queen, Led Zep... Punk/Metal: Misfits, AFI, Tool, POD, Project 86, Five Iron Frenzy, Squad Five-0, System of a Down, The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Green Day, Ozzy... Classical/Jazz: Beethoven, Pachelbell, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk... Folk/Other: Rich Mullins, Keith Greene, Jeff Buckley, Natalie Merchant, Billy Bragg, anything from O Brother, Where Art Thou?... Rap/Hip Hop/Funk: Knowdaverbs, FurtherMore, Outkast, George Clinton and P-Funk, G-Love and Special Sauce
What you can't stand: Limp Bizkit, the Left Behind books, blind patriotism, the 700 Club, Jar Jar Binks
What you plain dislike: The idea that partisan politics somehow belong in the Church...
Who you admire: Jesus, Rich Mullins, JRRT, C. S. Lewis, Rivers Cuomo, Sen. Jim Jeffords, my dad
What you most love to do: Spend time with my fiancee
Your self-confessed flaws: Bad temper (when it flares up), a tendency to do nothing at times, inconsistency
What intrigues/fascinates you: Cosmology, spiritual warfare, mob psychology, apologetics, comic books, the conflict between socialism and capitalism
What scares you: The erosion of our civil liberties and the erosion of the division of church and state which makes faithful proclamation of the Gospel possible
Quotation to live by: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength.

[img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2002, 09:58 AM   #97
Talking Hawk
Pile O'Bones

Talking Hawk has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Name (that you go by): I don't put my real name online, so let's just say it's Talking Hawk..
Future Aspirations: I would kind of like to find that "one" guy, and someday marry him in my religion's temple (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, if anyone's curious..)
Goal in life: As far as a career goes, I would want to be an author/writer. I love writing LOTR fanfics for the time being, but I'd someday like to make some money off my writing. =) I write romance, drama, off-the-wall comedy, angst..
Short term goals:
Passion: Writing
Hobbies: Writing =) I suppose reading too, but I prefer fanfics over books.. (I'm working on FOTR, though..I like it!)
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Hmmm.. Being a smarty-pants I suppose. I have a 4.2 grade-point average, am in English and Science honors, JROTC, and Japanese II. As you probably think, I have A's in all my classes, and I'm the kid who sits in the front row and raises her hand all the time. o_O My teachers like me for it, but as for the other students...heh heh. Let's just say that they get jealous or SOMEthing. =) It's all good though.

Fave book: Hm..."Twice Taken" (sorry folks, I haven't read enough of FOTR to call it my favorite book..)
Fave movie: Lord of the Rings, Miss Congeniality, and Surf Ninjas (okay, it's not my favorite, but it's HIL-A-RI-OUS..)
Fave sport: Eh...basketball, as long as I'm playing against people who can't play either. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Fave store: Hm...Borders?
Fave music: Calm, romantic music. Nothing dirty though. =p

What you can't stand: Forrest Gump!! (ACK, I saw that movie last night. It made me feel like crud..) Okay, what ELSE I can't stand? Hm...persistant noises that distract me from my work/concentration (ie, leaky faucet, crow outside the room that sounds like it's a dying duck, the laundry machine..).
What you plain dislike: Popular people that think they can be jerks to everyone.
Who you admire: Hm.. My mom, Jesus (not that they're on the same level, of course)..
What you most love to do: Hm..writing =) (Gee, that's like half of my responses, now isn't it?)
Your self-confessed flaws: I'm a perfectionist (to the extreme, at times..), I like to boss people around, I'm impatient (I HATE the phrase, "Patience is a virtue"..), at times easy to anger, and, um, hm...I'm sure there's some more, but I think I'll give it a rest. =)
What intrigues/fascinates you: The characters of LOTR; also cool-looking birds
What scares you: Hm...the devil? o_O
Quotation to live by: "If ye love me, keep my commandments." - John 14:15 (I think..)

Additional comments: I may go to BYU Utah for college...not sure yet. And for why I dislike Forrest Gump, not only was it a REALLY depressing movie (I hate not-feel-good movies), but it also may be because my older brother has mental "problems".. Just thought I'd throw that out there. (I think he's the reason why I'm bossy. =) )

-Talking Hawk
Merry shrugged his shoulders. “It could be a love triangle. Like about a week ago, I was in love with Angela AND Estella, but then I decided to break it off with Angela…” He sighed dreamily, but Pippin lifted an eyebrow. “Angela thought your name was Timothy,” he pointed out innocently, and Merry glared at him. “It could happen to anybody…” - Excerpt from my "Three Blind Spies" story (see fanfic section)
Talking Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 04:38 PM   #98
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Sting

I couldn't help but take a look at this thread. I was still just a newbie when I last posted here, and it's amazing how much one can change in a few months. So, here I go reposting my bio.

Name (that you go by): Erin, but you can call me Brinn
Future Aspirations: to become a screenwriter
Goal in life: to be happy
Short term goals: to continue to do well in school and get my homework done tonight
Passion: dance, violin, writing, drawing
Hobbies: look above
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Can't say that I'm famous for anything. I am very shy and invisible to those around me. During my math class today, I actually had someone ask me if I was new to the school. I've been going there for 3 years!

Fave book: LOTR, The Shannara Series, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Speak
Fave movie: FOTR, Moulin Rouge, Rat Race, Monsters Inc
Fave sport: Dance, of course!
Fave store: Barnes and Noble, Circuit City (for cds), Blockbuster (I'm a movie freak)
Fave music: Blink 182, Eminem, Avril Lavigne, TLC, Monica, Kelly Clarkson, and several different soundtracks

What you can't stand: gore, slackers in school, people who goggle over Legolas (sorry), the fact that Wal-mart lives in my neighborhood
What you plain dislike: drugs (illegal ones) and cigarrettes
Who you admire: my parents and anyone who is able to acheive their goals
What you most love to do: dance, chat at the Barrow Downs
Your self-confessed flaws: I'm obessive. Oh, and someone at my school has a brother who is going to TTT premiere in New Zealand. I'm so jealous!
What intrigues/fascinates you: LOTR, of course
What scares you: spiders, things that pop out
Quotation to live by: I still have none! Well, I guess I could use the one in my sig.

Additional comments: If my calculations are correct, there are 22 more days before FOTR: The Extended Edition is released and 58 days until TTT premiere. Yay!

I know there's been several new members since June. Feel free to post all about yourself!

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-06-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 05:22 PM   #99
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Name: (Joseph) or as I will soon be known in the future, Master
Occupation: Financial Officer (during the day)/ all time good guy (when on a date) / mad professor (in my spare time)

Future Aspirations: Take over the world
Goal in life: Rule the universe
Short term goals: Rule my own TV ( my sisters are living with me)
Passion: Life
Hobbies: Fishing, Reading- (thermo nuclear physics for dummies)

Famous for: (getting drunk at my work Christmas party)
Fave movie: Police Academy
Fave sport: 8 Ball
Fave store: n/a
Fave music: The Eagles, Hotel California
What you can't stand: Bad language
What you plain dislike: Stupidity
Who you admire:
What you most love to do: Spend time outdoors fishing
Your self-confessed flaws: Know it all
What intrigues/fascinates you: Women
What scares you: Women
Quotation to live by: Do not argue with a fool because they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:37 PM   #100
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Yay! This sounds like fun to revive.

Name (that you go by):Jillian, Elenna, Butterfly, Mouse...
Occupation: Disgruntled teen, writer, Barrow Downs junkie, grocery store cashier, actor
Future Aspirations: bohemian writer
Goal in life: to publish a book with my name bigger than the title, like Michael Crichton
Short term goals: Get my short stories in a magazine
Passion: Writing and theater
Hobbies: Writing, theater, my advanced gym course, political involvement
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Protesting the treatment of homosexuals at my school, getting detention, writing an article for the paper, getting another detention

Fave book: LOTR, Witches of Eileanan, anything Shakespeare, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Fave movie: LOTR, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Princess Bride, and everything Disney
Fave sport: To watch, soccer (IRELAND IS GOING ALL THE WAY THIS YEAR!!!!) to participate in, track and football (sure, I'm 5'3", but I can catch like none other)
Fave store: Barnes and Noble
Fave music: Rock, mostly Barenaked Ladies, System of a Down, Linkin Park, Creed, Good Charlotte... And I also like opera, classical, and Broadway. Go figure.

What you can't stand: idiotic school administrators, idiotic students
What you plain dislike: school food and the morons who make fun of me in the halls.
Who you admire: Anyone brave enough to be friends with me.
What you most love to do: Write
Your self-confessed flaws: Impatience, rebelliousness, the occasional bout of slacking.
What intrigues/fascinates you: Everything! This morning I was trying to figure out what I would call the color of blue that the sky is before the sun comes up.
What scares you: That Fahrenheit 451 is an accurate depiction of today's society, Komodo dragons, and chainsaws.
Quotation to live by: "If you can't find a door, kick in a wall"

Additional comments: There is a skunk living in my garage.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:20 PM   #101
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Name (that you go by): Philip
Future Aspirations: swim in large quantities of money, be a father, live a long and happy life
Goal in life: see above
Short term goals: graduate with a real high GPA
Passion: music (any kind)
Hobbies: playing drums, violin, a little piano, singing, football, tennis, hockey, basketball, video games,
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): being the luckiest person on earth, playing music, killing people twice my size in nearly every sport, doing well on everything (like tests) while only working 1/10th as hard as everyone else, taking over social occasions, being so nice that it's impossible to hate me, slacking off,

Fave book: LOTR
Fave movie: LOTR, Star Wars (all of them), The Matrix, Search for the Holy Grail,
Fave sport: football or tennis
Fave store: Kohl's (where I work part-time)
Fave music: classical-Dvorak/ modern-Everclear

What you can't stand: people with jerky attitudes
What you plain dislike: chicks who don't think I'm hot
Who you admire: my very own Dad
What you most love to do: hang out with friends
Your self-confessed flaws: I never put forth my best effort, I often don't stop and think, I procrastinate,
What intrigues/fascinates you: Physics, Geology, Biology, Chemistry, women,
What scares you: the future
Quotation to live by: "Do, or do not. There is no try."
Old 10-21-2002, 06:58 PM   #102
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Must make only a few questions for myself, or this could turn into a whole autobiograpy..

Name: Marie

Fav. book: Debating...either Lord of the Rings or the Silmarillion.

Fav. movie: Fellowship of the Ring, A Night at the Roxbury (FotR more)

Fav. music: Rock, Hard rock, Heavy Metal. My favorite band is Nickelback [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img], Drowning Pool, STP (to name a few..) but I also like Enya. And some classical songs, but I don't have titles or anything memorized. I like hearing cellos. And lutes. Bagpipes are pretty cool too.

Fav. Sport: I love hiking!

Goals in life: To be happy

What I can't stand: Hypocrites!! Stupidity. Oh!! And people who won't have a open mind, they only want to listen to themselves. The list goes on...

Who you admire: Chad Kroeger, people who are strong; they have many complicated things going on in their lives, yet they seem to hold it together, and they don't seek pity from anyone.

Quotation to live by: "Never give up on your dreams, you'll never live."

Additional Comments: Did you know that a pound bread isn't really a pound?
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:51 AM   #103
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Quote:
by Lush

Oh, and George, I'm a big fan of "What? Where? When?" as well. Do the Georgians still play with the Russians? We could duke it out, man!
Sorry to be so late, somehow missed the thing completely [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] .

We do. There'll be a tournament in Saransk sometime around December. I think my team will be up to it as well

yes, we could [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

=========================

hya, Susan, Ursual LeGuin is quite a writer I daresay [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

==========================

Alk, you never know what's going on in there (women's mind, i mean). They are just too unpredictable [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 06:21 AM   #104
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Anyone who was in any way curious about me, poor sick people that they are, will now receive the vital information for which they have thirsted for so long. The following details are subject to change without warning:

Name (that you go by): David. Also "Mad Dave", "Dave the Hat" and "Oi, pillock" I prefer the first.

Future Aspirations: To free myself from wage slavery; to write, if not publish, a book or two; to find out where the "free world" is and move there.

Goal in life: To become a famous wit, rake and wastrel.

Short term goals: To finish paying for my education, never again to waste so much money so badly.

Passion: Individuality. And the decriminalisation of certain herbs.

Hobbies: None. See "Future Aspirations" under "Wage slavery"

Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): I was a member of the winning team in the 1991 Air Training Corps aircraft recognition competition. I was also Thames Valley Wing champion for two years running.

Favourite book: I don't play favourites, but here are a few of the best I've read apart from the obvious Tolkien:
The Compleet Molesworth by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle; I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves; The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams; What is History? by E.H. Carr; The Outsider by Albert Camus and Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy. Those are in no particular order and there are many others.

Favourite film: Again too many to list, but Highlander, The Crow, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, Touch of Evil, Kelly's Heroes, Withnail and I, A Bridge Too Far and, predictably, Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Favourite sport: Snooker

Favourite shop: I don't have one. I like any small, dusty second-hand book-shops and bric-a-brac emporia.

Favourite music: Rock. As in on.

What you can't stand: The full list would crash the forum, but here's a reduced one:
Wilful ignorance; confident and self-assured incompetence; bombast; advertisements; false sincerity; intolerance; unprovoked rudeness; bigotry; inelegance; ingenuousness; ovine conformism; Britney Spears; cabbage; soap operas; cabbage...
And so forth.

What you plain dislike: Just dislike? Coleslaw and mayonnaise

Who you admire: Anyone who isn't exasperated by it all.

What you most love to do: Lie around on something soft with a good book, a cup of tea, some biscuits and a nice juicy joint, if I have one.

Your self-confessed flaws: Absent-mindedness; colossal arrogance; complete inability to make allowances and laziness.

I don't like sport, soaps or celebrity gossip. Apart from those, just about everything.

What scares you: People

Quotation to live by:
Quote:
Let 's eat, drink, and play till the worms do corrupt us,
'Tis certain, Post mortem Nulla voluptas.
For health, wealth and beauty, wit, learning and sense,
Must all come to nothing a hundred years hence.
Thomas Jordan (1612?-1685)

Additional comments:
Let it not now be said that less than half of you know half as much about me as they'd like. If you are anything like me, surfeiting, the appetite should sicken and so die.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:42 AM   #105
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

How dare you, unhappy mortal, to raise your eyes on Britney Spears?!!!!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

and cabbages just pushes the thing way too far [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2002, 06:51 AM   #106
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Do you mean to say that you do like them? I find your lack of taste disturbing. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 06:59 AM   #107
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

you are mental, man ( [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]), How can one possibly fall so low to dislike
Quote:
advertisements; false sincerity; intolerance; unprovoked rudenes
and CABBAGES!!! [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2002, 07:05 AM   #108
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

DISCLAIMER:

The previous 2 posts were committed by H-I in the late hours of his office-sitting, when mental stability leaves his skull for a stroll.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:23 AM   #109
Spectre of Decay

Sting

Quote:
you are mental, man
Guilty as charged, my old cauliflower sundae.

On the subject of madness, though, what sort of a loony likes freedom and writes poetry? We all need to be oppressed, inarticulate and unimaginative to be happy. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2002, 07:29 AM   #110
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Name (that you go by): Hiriel (it's my real name in Sindarin)
Future Aspirations:
Goal in life: to get a good education
Short term goals: I dunno, try to make my social life less internet based?
Passion:Books!
Hobbies:reading, watching movies
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Really brag? You asked for it! Being very humble I must admit that I'm actually really smart. My teachers aks me when they're unsure of something, seriously.

Fave book(I think I'll change that to author): Tolkien, Rowling, Brooks, Kerr, Lewis, Adams, Hornby, Christie, Holt and loads more
Fave movie: FOTR, STARWARS, Ice age, Moulin Rouge, Road to Perdition, Trainspotting +++
Fave sport:Ice hockey
Fave store:Avalon in Oslo, Norway
Fave music: pretty much everything. Right now I've been listening to 'Wonderwall' by Oasis over and over again.

What you can't stand: George W Bush!
What you plain dislike: People who could've been great, at for example school, but aren't because they can't bother to try.
Who you admire: my mum, Natalie Portman (yes, I'm serious, she's cool!), JRR and Christopher Tolkien
What you most love to do: sleep...
Your self-confessed flaws: I sleep too much, and when I'm awake I talk, and talk and talk forever (most of which is impossible to understand)
What intrigues/fascinates you: the history of pretty much everything from languages to pop music
What scares you: Bees. I'm allergic to the stupid little beasts.
Quotation to live by: "You laugh because I'm different - I laugh because you're all the same" unknown
"I chose not to choose life. I chose something else." Ewan McGregor in 'Trainspotting'
"Smart is sexy!" Jennifer Aniston
"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me." Harry Potter in JK Rowling's Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban

Additional comments: The school paper named me "Nerd of the Year 2002". When you're proud of the title, that proves that you deserve it!

I'm addicted to Granny Smith apples...
And to popcorn..

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 10-22-2002, 10:43 AM   #111
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

Oh. My. Gosh. How in the name of all that is sacred did I miss this thread?! As if my entire purpose for inhabiting this board was not complete self-promotion. I'm becoming a vague shadow of myself. Which brings me to my favorite topic. Ahem.

Name (that you go by): Kate. Lala. Josie. That girl that hangs out with Sarah all the time. Mostly Kate, though.
Future Aspirations: I want to own a small shop in London where I can make handcrafted wood furniture and go to school for the rest f my life. Also to marry well.
Goal in life: To make things beautiful.
Short term goals: To learn French.
Passion: Beautiful things -- this is not as shallow as it sounds. Don't be fooled, though, I am plenty shallow. Note Future Aspirations.
Hobbies: English style riding; drawing caricatures on napkins in coffee shops.
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): My smile, being the best high school essayist in the state of Georgia, the second best speller, and being the girl that wrecked her car into a brick building. All of these happened at least two years ago. Since then I've become less literate but better at handling vehicles. The smile still stands, though.

Fave book: Grendel, by John Gardner.
Fave movie: As Good As It Gets
Fave sport: Steeplechasing
Fave store: In order to keep from overloading the server, I'll make this short. Gaucho, Barnes & Noble, Steve Madden, Gap, and small boutique-type home furnishing and unique clothing shoppes. Until my recent hiatus from caffeine, Starbucks.
Fave music: Sigur Rós!!!!!!!!!! Also Dave Matthews Band and movie soundtracks.

What you can't stand: Intolerance and horror movies.
What you plain dislike: Meat. My addictive personality. Mushrooms. Sushi. Inability to appreciate beauty. Crassness.
Who you admire: My father.
What you most love to do: Socialising with my wonderful, wonderful friends at the cafe we frequent while foreign movies play.
Your self-confessed flaws: I'm arrogant, stuck-up, pedantic, selfish, manipulative, fickle, materialistic, and many other bad things.
What intrigues/fascinates you: Older, mutlilingual foreign men. Who aren't gay.
What scares you: Insects, horror movies, dependence.
Quotation to live by: "Even if you don't like him, he'll always have friends."

Additional comments: I don't have a sense of humor, and I don't have any opinions, so I am a very boring person. You don't want me to post more often than I do, trust me.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:04 AM   #112
Hanna_Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Hanna_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hanna_Gamgee Send a message via Yahoo to Hanna_Gamgee
1420!

Name (that you go by): Mira
Future Aspirations:
To get a good job.
Goal in life:
To get married and be happy.
Short term goals:
To graduate college.
Passion:reading
Hobbies:
chatting,dancing,watching movies
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself):
nothin that I can think of.
Fave book:LOTR
Fave movie:LOTR
Fave sport:gymnastics
Fave store:Best Buy
Fave music:all kinds

What you can't stand:telemarketers
What you plain dislike:bugs
Who you admire:Harrison Ford
What you most love to do:read
Your self-confessed flaws:Im shy.
What intrigues/fascinates you:Middle earth
What scares you:hights
Quotation to live by:
can't think of one

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Hanna_Gamgee ]
Old 10-22-2002, 11:53 AM   #113
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Hm, been here for ages, never discovered this thread! So here’s pretty much all you need to know about me!

Name (that you go by) : Varda (the stars are just for decoration!)
Future Aspirations: Not sure, just to go to university, get a job I enjoy, stuff like that.
Goal in life: Never forget about Lord of the Rings! Suppose to get married and all that.
Short Term Goals: Pass my Higher exams
Passion: Lord of the Rings [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Hobbies: Singing, writing, reading, going out with friends, internet (obviously)

Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself):
Hm, well my friends would say I’m famous for being sarcastic, but that’s probably not a good thing. Stubborn? Ok, there must be one good thing I’m famous for…ah, honesty!

Fave Book: Any LOTR book…sad, but Little Women is also a favourite, read it when I was younger – what can I say? Childhood memories!
Fave Movie: LOTR – FOTR, but I think I’ll like the next ones even better, O, most movies.
Fave Sport: Sport? What’s that?
Fave Store: H&M (clothes store), Waterstones (huge book store, great coffee place)
Fave Music: LOTR soundtrack, Destiny’s Child, The Corrs, Travis
]What you can't stand: Completely ignorant people, lying for no reason, people who can’t accept other people’s views (I could go on longer!)...oh, and neds. (if you don't know, just don't ask)
What you plain dislike: Physics.
Who you admire: Don’t really know…lots of people for different reasons.
What you most love to do: Hang out with friends
Your self confessed flaws: Too honest sometimes, too stubborn.
What intrigues/fascinates you: The whole concept and world of Lord of the Rings.
What scares you: Death.
Quotation to live by: Don’t really have one at the moment.
Additional Comments - I love LOTR!

EDIT: I'm 16 now!

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 10-22-2002, 11:58 AM   #114
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh well, guess I can't hide forever.

Name (that you go by): Maika (really, people have gotten used to it), Lady Despair, Scarface, Nynne (Danish for "hum" because I'm always humming and singing)

Future Aspirations: Only time will tell

Goal in life: To get through it alive

Short term goals: To move out of this place (my apartment, this city, this country)

Passion: Cryptozoo and Paranormal stuff, writing

Hobbies: Yoga, psychology, archaeology, morbidity

Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): Being insanely morbid at times, unable to be embarrassed, excellent cook

Fave book: Moby D*ck (c'mon BW, can't we even write THAT?), Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, 2001: A space odyssey,
everything by E.A. Poe and F. Kafka.
Oh, and then I once read something by a guy named Tolkien or something like that. Nothing impressive. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Fave movie: Event Horizon, Pitch Black, anything by Monty Python, anything by Clive Barker, maybe LOTR (we'll see about that when it's finished)

Fave sport: Hockey, Aikido, kick-boxing (no, I'm NOT violent!)

Fave store: The Barrow-downs store of course, Amazon.com (they have all the weird books I like)

Fave music: Everything NOT dance, rap or techno.

What you can't stand: Narrowminded people, racists

What you plain dislike: People who can't understand/accept that other people may have other beliefs, be it religious or political,
people who wear fur [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] (grrrr, now where's my red spraypaint...?)

Who you admire: My best friend who spends most of her time in a wheelchair and still does everything a lot better than me.

What you most love to do: Hey! There are under-age people here...heheh! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sleep, spending time at the Downs, sleep, read, sleep...

Your self-confessed flaws: Being too impatient, laziness, not taking enough care of myself (sometimes I forget to eat), being too mean to other people

What intrigues/fascinates you: Ghosts and everything paranormal, puzzles, forensics, people, that we're still here

What scares you: Knives

Quotation to live by: Hmm...

Additional comments: Uhm...

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 10-22-2002, 03:13 PM   #115
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Maikadilwen - "Passion: Cryptozoo and Paranormal stuff, writing"
Maika - I love cryptozoology! So what's your opinion on "rods" or "sky fish"? (I think I saw one of those little buggers when I was a kid.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:25 PM   #116
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh Birdie, if only you'd told me that 3 months ago, before we closed the forum for new members. I'm co-running a cryptozoo forum (very similar to the Downs, just CZ instead of Tolkien) and I'm pretty sure you'd be interested in the stuff we're doing. I'll let you know when (if) we re-open.
I'm writing a lot of theme articles for it, so feel free to PM me if you're interested in something. The last was about Tunguska (personal favourite).

In order to answer your question, I believe that everything's possible.
I don't have Arthur C. Clarke as my personal "hero" for nothing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, everyone. Shamelessly off-topic.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 10-22-2002, 05:34 PM   #117
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

Name (that you go by): anything you like, baby...
Future Aspirations: Novelist
Goal in life: Write, move, get revenge
Short term goals: silence the idiots at my school
Passion: um...what do you mean by that?! writing...dinner by candle light, long walks on the beach...other htings found in personal adds
Hobbies: scaring people at my school, writing...um...tring to think of something to do with all my free time
Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): the depressed loney idiot.

Fave book: Lotr
Fave movie: Lotr, the matrix
Fave sport: ice hockey
Fave store: i don't shop
Fave music: i don't listen to music

What you can't stand: people without a sence of humor, idiots
What you plain dislike: idiots
Who you admire: gimli, the off topic martyr
What you most love to do: write, climb trees, point out the idiocies of society
Your self-confessed flaws: overly emotional, low self esteem, irritable, anti-social, off topic, hyper, never satisfied with myself, suicidal tendenses..um...lets just say im pretty screwed up.
What intrigues/fascinates you: monkies. writing. finding new ways to hurt myself
What scares you: carnies
Quotation to live by: "it's not stupid, it's advanced!"
-Invader Zim
"Live for the moment."
-no idea who said that

Additional comments: i am a psycho

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumberTen ]
Old 10-23-2002, 12:22 AM   #118
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Maika,

Quote:
Nynne (Danish for "hum" because I'm always humming and singing)
huh, that's why I got Deadnight Chanter. That's poetical alteration of alltime hummer which expresses the thing as it is [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Goal in life: To get through it alive
I doubt you can manage it. Nobody can

NN10,

whom I you going to take revenge upon? And why?

Old 10-23-2002, 03:07 AM   #119
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Name (for internet purposes): Estelyn (I like my self-chosen name), Esty

Age: older than I look (better than the other way around!)

Future Aspirations: new horizons, creating something of lasting beauty, travelling around the world

Goal in life: becoming whom I am meant to be

Short term goals: finishing all the patchwork projects I’ve started (on second thought, maybe that’s a long-term goal!)

Passion: this site and its people; beauty in its various forms – visible, verbal, audible, edible

Hobbies: The Barrow-Downs, reading, patchwork

Famous for (okay this is where you get to brag about yourself): my jazzy gospel piano concerts, my home-baked caramel rolls, Grant County North Dakota Spelling Bee champion in 7th grade [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Fave books: (among many others) C.S. Lewis – Narnia, Perelandra; M.M. Kaye – The Far Pavilions; J. Austen – Pride and Prejudice; Lindsey Davis – the Falco series; Noah Gordon – The Physician; quite a few historical novels, books on psychology, and nonsense poetry

Fave movies: (in no particular order and subject to change) The Bridges of Madison County, Shakespeare in Love, Comedian Harmonists, Chocolat, Castaway, Truman Show, Shrek

Fave sport: to watch – figure skating; to do – walking

Fave store: Brook-Mays Music Store in Dallas, bookshops in London

Fave music: Bach, Gershwin, much of what lies between and some of what comes after – current favorite Nickel Creek

What you can't stand: posts that repeat what has been said 1000 times, that contain nonsense with no redeeming value, that attack others and their personal opinions, and that are just plain boring

What you plain dislike: real life interruptions when I’m enjoying myself on the internet

Who you admire: people who know exactly who they are and why they’re doing what they’re doing

What you most love to do: chat when all the fun people are on-line and at their witty best!

Your self-confessed flaws: procrastination, inefficiency, spending way too much time here

What intrigues/fascinates you: intelligent discussions that are way over my head

What scares you: the prospect of moderating Movies after TTT comes out!

Quotation to live by: All things work together for the best…

My pride and joy: The young man and young woman who have been the source of my greatest pain, my greatest privilege and my greatest learning experience

Additional comments: There’s no place like home – Barrow-Downs Sweet Barrow-Downs

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 04:58 AM   #120
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

whoa, that's what me calls loyalty. bravo [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]