The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien Hammer and tongs! ...and nails and glue and paint...

The backyard shed is in sore need of repair. The roof may be leaking a bit, and some animals - not sure if they are two- or four-legged - have chewed away at the bottom of the walls, allowing the weather to sneak in onto the shed floor. I'm hoping to one day replace the shingles on the roof, and replace, piece by piece, the outside walls. Been thinking about how to paint it. The doors - there are two - open just like those seen in Peter Jackson's FotR, and so I'm considering painting the doors like the West-Gate of Moria, though I haven't the skill of Narvi, and not sure what the modern equivalent is for ithildin. Reflective paint perhaps?

That said, I got to wondering: Is there any architecture, sans movie sets, that was inspired by Tolkien's works? Surely there are fans out there that had Gondolin or Orthanc in mind when designing some skyscraper.

I'm considering objects from small sheds to large superstructures. Any examples?
Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Our local Renaissance Fair(grounds) have built Bag End (to hobbit scale) for tours, though I've never been through it. I'm the only one of my friends who've ever been interested, and the Mead Stand always awaits. That's the only real thing I know of though.

Quote:
I'm considering painting the doors like the West-Gate of Moria, though I haven't the skill of Narvi, and not sure what the modern equivalent is for ithildin. Reflective paint perhaps?
In the movie, they used reflective tape, the same stuff they use to put lighting marks on the stage floor in the theatre. It glows in the dark so the actors can find it in the dark, and also reflects like a road-sign. When I was old enough to stay out after dark, my parents made me put it on my bicycle, so its pretty old technology. I'm sure it's not too expensive anymore.