The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #3041
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Credit cards and all their fine print and exceptions. 'Nuff said.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #3042
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Having to move classroom. To the point of transferring all the reading books from one room to the classroom next door. Pointless and time consuming.

Accidentally winding your slightly more obliging colleague up by throwing a strop about all the stuff living in the new classroom that has nothing to do with that class and pretty much chucking it out while she watches in horror.

Deserting a tip of a room due to feeling unwell, leaving said lovely colleague in the middle of the massive mess.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #3043
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

MCRmyGirl4eva has just left Hobbiton.
Bitchy sisters. (crescendo.)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #3044
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Falling ill like Mordor at the least convenient moment (as if there is a convenient moment at all).
Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #3045
crescendo.
Animated Skeleton

crescendo. has just left Hobbiton.
I assign not being able to find the movie you want to see
- Chris Colfer
crescendo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #3046
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Eye

Waiting for news. And waiting, and waiting, and waiting....

Do I call? ........ for the forty-second time?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #3047
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear" ...as long as the person you are phoning can be trusted to let you know ASAP then no.. you will feel you are doing something but it is probably just upping the stress overall...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #3048
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Stephanie Meyer
Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #3049
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The freaks at the TV chanel who decide to put a commercial on when Russia is entering the opening ceremonies of the olympics. Blasphemous Canadian TV!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #3050
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye Why must you torment me, creations of Melkor?

I assign nightmares to Mordor. They are truly the stuff of Mordor. In tonight's episode of TeaGEW's Mind Hates Her (and Everybody Else, for That Matter) our young heroine finds herself running and hiding from she knows not what. Her great escape takes her to a never-ending claustrophobic maze of underground tunnels without a map, and she's pretty sure it's the sewer. How will she escape? Find out in part two of her adventures of terror later on tonight.
I have really bad dreams every night. It doesn't matter what I dream about, there will always be something that scares the pants off of me, so I've trained myself to wake up and not put up with the BS that my mind puts me through every night. I hate that I have to do this, but I don't think they've found a cure for brains raping dreams. Really, if I could get a night's sleep without something terrible being the premise of my dreams, I'd be happy. Is this normal? Does anyone else have nightmares all the time? I was pretty sure that all of this was supposed to stop after I "grew up", so why do they continue?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #3051
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Er– TGEW, sure you haven't simply been playing too many videogames?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #3052
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If you are aware you are dreaming and can wake yourself out of one then that's lucid dreaming, and if you can harness that and 'train' your mind, then you can change your dreams and even explore the dream world!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #3053
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Er– TGEW, sure you haven't simply been playing too many videogames?
The funny thing is that I haven't played any video games for weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
If you are aware you are dreaming and can wake yourself out of one then that's lucid dreaming, and if you can harness that and 'train' your mind, then you can change your dreams and even explore the dream world!
Cool. I shall attempt this.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #3054
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Barring Lalwende's supremely great idea, perhaps there is post traumatic stress your brain is trying to find its way out of?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #3055
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Barring Lalwende's supremely great idea, perhaps there is post traumatic stress your brain is trying to find its way out of?
That could definitely be the case. A lot of very upsetting things have happened in my life over the past two years and sometimes I have a hard time handling it.

Today I learned that my father doesn't have enough money to pay our mortgage by himself anymore, so later on this week he has renters coming in to live in our house. Renting one's home out should not be this hard, I know, but this house has been in my family since my grandparents bought it when my mother was a girl and letting someone else live in my home, even for a little while, feels like intruding. The worst part is that I knew this was coming, I just wish that it didn't happen now. This whole situation can go to Mordor. All of it. I'm just done with being disappointed.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #3056
crescendo.
Animated Skeleton

Idiots who use their cell phones in class.
- Chris Colfer
Old 08-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #3057
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

BTW...

The previous post was by me. I didn't realize that my sis was signed in. LOL. Fail.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #3058
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Having to leave about 15 minutes before the Werewolf deadline. Every single time a Day starts. ><
Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 AM   #3059
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

*hugs G55*

Burnt cookies, and sisters who steal your chocolate
Old 08-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #3060
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When you see that you're the only Downer online. Not even the invisible people are around.

Edit: huh, while I was posting two other people appeared. *crosses fingers for a new post*
Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #3061
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I would assign the stores/shops that write $x.99 instead of just rounding it up a penny and having a nice round number. Why do they have to write $4.99 instead of $5.00?

Except that if I would assign that, all the shopping would be done in Mordor.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #3062
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

having your assigned parking space be under a tree full of strange berries and pigeons that poop all over your windshield. Then, having to work on the truck while laying on all those strange berries, and every time you sweep, the pigeons move around and knock down more berries. What's worse is, the berries have pits in them that dig into my back.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #3063
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I would assign the stores/shops that write $x.99 instead of just rounding it up a penny and having a nice round number. Why do they have to write $4.99 instead of $5.00?

It's psychological. You're more likely to buy if you see the smaller first number. Scientifically proven in studies, of course. Secondarily, because of sales tax. Everybody knows it's going to be over $5 anyway.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #3064
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:

Apart from Marks and Spencer (but that is not JUST a shop). They realised that we aren't stupit and did away with that a long time ago. Also here the ticket price is what you pay unless it is somewhere which deals mainly with trade where they may show ex-VAT price.

So when I first went to the states and was ignorant of Sales Tax I thought it was rip off a tourist time..

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #3065
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
So when I first went to the states and was ignorant of Sales Tax I thought it was rip off a tourist time..
Haha, yes, here if it says it costs $0.99 they really mean around $1.12.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #3066
crescendo.
Animated Skeleton

I assign people who say that they are fat when they are skinny. You wanna know fat, look at me! I am fat... not you
- Chris Colfer
Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #3067
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescendo. View Post
I assign people who say that they are fat when they are skinny. You wanna know fat, look at me! I am fat... not you
I do agree about skinny people complaining all the time that they are fat. I have a feeling they do that just to hear that they are not, in fact, fat.

On a similar note, I want to assign people who complain endlessly about being fat (with or without basis), but do nothing about it; continue eating sweets instead of proper food, continue not doing any physical exersize, etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #3068
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
You just need to know gentlemen like me who will approach it logically.

"Do we accept that I am lean? Oh we do...great. Give me one of your skirts and shirts, if I wear this around all day, you must agree never to say you're fat again in my presense. Deal?"

(Yes this did work with a friend...not sure what I would have done if the clothes didn't fit, but they were actually kind of perfectly comfortable)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #3069
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thing about skinny people saying, "I'm fat," two things are going on at once: (1) they are allowing the predominant culture to dictate the terms of their worth; (2) they are actually saying, "I don't like myself."
Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #3070
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

One song to the tune of another...

Realisin that the lyrics of Gilgalad was an elven king which I love in the Stephen Oliver setting, fit almost perfectly to the anodyne theme tune of a fairly dire sitcom and getting it as an earworm
http://youtu.be/aHtBUeXoyv4

Old 08-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #3071
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

A friend lived in my room for a month.

a) I have never been in the same house for so long with such a spoiled, helpless, and brainless girl of my age before. It was a nightmare.

b) My room was never so amess, even when I had clothing on the floor from a month ago. Ever heard that you leave things as you found them?

c) Not only are my things all over the place, but there are things from the kitchen, the office, the bathroom, and other rooms of the house lying in every corner. I'm glad she used them when she needed them, but how about putting them back once you're done?

I think that after that one month of her visit I need a year of recovery.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #3072
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
I do agree about skinny people complaining all the time that they are fat. I have a feeling they do that just to hear that they are not, in fact, fat.

On a similar note, I want to assign people who complain endlessly about being fat (with or without basis), but do nothing about it; continue eating sweets instead of proper food, continue not doing any physical exersize, etc.
My sister is going to Mordor? Okay.. I'll have a room to myself, then.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #3073
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Having just started a new semester in college, I've already decided that Calculus needs to be sent straight to Mount Doom.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #3074
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Having just started a new semester in college, I've already decided that Calculus needs to be sent straight to Mount Doom.
G55 doesn't allow math to be sent to Mordor, or else I'd send every math teacher above Grade 5
Old 09-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #3075
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Calculus belongs in Numenor. (I actually think this location is quite fitting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRmyGirl4eva View Post
G55 doesn't allow math to be sent to Mordor, or else I'd send every math teacher above Grade 5
That's quite right.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #3076
MCRmyGirl4eva
Shade of Carn Dûm

You're a nerd, G55!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #3077
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCRmyGirl4eva View Post
You're a nerd, G55!
Do I therefore belong in Mordor?

Really, though, I've never considered myself a nerd (books are cool but there's more to fun than books) but I'm the only person in my English class who enjoys doing Shakespear plays as a part of the books we study.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #3078
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign that annoying squishy sound your jaw can make sometimes when you're chewing. It's riiiiiight at the top next to the ear canal so I can hear it really well. And I've got some delicious chewy bread with real garlic in it.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #3079
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Seconded...also the click sound your eyelids make when they close...

Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #3080
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
I assign that annoying squishy sound your jaw can make sometimes when you're chewing. It's riiiiiight at the top next to the ear canal so I can hear it really well. And I've got some delicious chewy bread with real garlic in it.
My parents would revise this to "why does your jaw crack when you chew! Stop it!" (as if I had some type of control over the crackiness of my jaw),