The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #401
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
The difference between English and American spelling should go to Mordor, too. Honestly, why couldn't you keep it at one system and vocab?
Absolutely. Bagsy our way wins.

Socrates. And Plato. And my Ancient Philosophy teacher with them. Make it a fight to the death between them in fact, preferably above the bubbling pit of Mount Doom's innards. Entertainment for all the family.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 PM   #402
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Let me see... 140 college girls... and me...

That doesn't sound very Mordorish at all!

I would tend to place it somewhere between awesome and heavenly.
My dear boy, I am one of those college girls. Which means that you are automatically evenly matched by wit and extreme good looks, as well as debate and observation skills. And then, after being immediately humbled by me, you'd have to deal with everyone else. I have a feeling that you'd be begging to go home within a week.

And interpretation besides the creator's should ought to go there. My photography is not a socio-political commentary on obesity and plasticity of American culture. I do not reflect the impressionable nature of children, nor cynically comment upon "televisions as babysitters". Both pictures mentioned are a study of light, reflection, color interaction, and shape. Also, convenience in completing an assignment, as both vending machine and television (Mordor-worthy creations in themselves) were easily within range of my room. In any case, my interpretation is the interpretation, and that should be that. If I did not create with the intent of a message, then the message is not there. It is your own bleedin' baggage that sticks it where it doe'n't belong.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:36 PM   #403
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Unsigned positive reps. Yes, I know it's all up to the repper & that I should just be happy with the thought & the comment (& I am), but darn it's annoying when you can't figure out who it is that repped you! Of course unsigned negs would be much worse, but in a different sort of way.

edit: of course it's the height of irony for me to receive an unsigned *snicker* for this post...& the height of cruelty for the repper to do such a thing.

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 09-28-2005 at 08:11 PM.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:32 AM   #404
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Math exams scheduled at seven in the morning on a Saturday, no question.

*poke* *poke* I thought you'll stop sending things to Mordor?

This one attracts Mordor like...umm...fangirls flock to the phantom. So there.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:16 AM   #405
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
Unsigned positive reps. Yes, I know it's all up to the repper & that I should just be happy with the thought & the comment (& I am), but darn it's annoying when you can't figure out who it is that repped you! Of course unsigned negs would be much worse, but in a different sort of way.

edit: of course it's the height of irony for me to receive an unsigned *snicker* for this post...& the height of cruelty for the repper to do such a thing.
That's hilarious, TOREstel. In a very... well... you know. In an ironic sort of way. Perhaps you could figure out these secret identities by the rep points given?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #406
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, come on, isn't it obvious who it is?

Anywho, slightly more on topic, I assign my own procrastination with regards to homework to Mordor. Sixth Form is such that, if one doesn't keep up and do homework the night it is set, it will build up, engulf the non-homework-doer, and spit them back out in a dark world full of frantically turning pages and pressing pen to paper in the middle of the night.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:21 PM   #407
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Anywho, slightly more on topic, I assign my own procrastination with regards to homework to Mordor. Sixth Form is such that, if one doesn't keep up and do homework the night it is set, it will build up, engulf the non-homework-doer, and spit them back out in a dark world full of frantically turning pages and pressing pen to paper in the middle of the night.
I'm guessing by your age that sixth form in England is the equivalent of 10th grade in the US. Good luck! 10th grade was evil. Forget what they tell you about freshman year being the hard one, since you've just started high school. Freshman year was easy. Sophomore year was an absolute nightmare. So I therefore send it to Mordor.

I also send trying to file incredibly small pieces of metal. You end up filing your fingers instead of the metal, and the piece you're working on is so small that the file keeps knocking it out of your hand. It then falls on the floor (which is almost the same color as the metal) and it takes you several minutes to find. Also those evil blades on small hacksaws. They're a pain to put in the saw, and they break if you so much as look at them the wrong way. There've been some days when I've gone through approximately 10 in 50 minutes. I really do love my jewelry making class, but boy can it be frustrating somtimes!
Old 09-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #408
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
I'm guessing by your age that sixth form in England is the equivalent of 10th grade in the US. Good luck! 10th grade was evil. Forget what they tell you about freshman year being the hard one, since you've just started high school. Freshman year was easy. Sophomore year was an absolute nightmare. So I therefore send it to Mordor.
I'm in 10th grade at the moment and agree. I loved my freshman year. But this first month of being a sophomore has been terrible.

To Mordor with it!

TORE, I agree. I've gotten positive reps with really funny comments but not signed. I would like to comment the person who repped me about how funny they are but I don't know who they are.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #409
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye I'm doing this but once . . .

. . . and I'm never doing this again. I've an alter-ego who relishes the idea of . . .

I would like to send my host Nilpaurion Felagund to Mordor! To Mt. Doom, in fact! Burn! Mwahahahaha!

Right. It already happened.

Enedwaith I would like to send Scodge (Psychology) coursework to Mordor, because it tried to eat Kath. And we wouldn't want that.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #410
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I agree with 10th grade. It was terrible. Mind, it was my own fault for deciding to get all of my core classes finished that year so I could have far fewer requireds my last two years of highschool... but still... that year was hard all around.

Off to Mordor with computer-monitor induced headaches, friends being sick, Psych tests, trying to decipher Shakespeare when there are so many fantastic distractions begging you to-- ooh, shiny.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #411
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

What's with everyone sending High School to Mordor?!

I wouldn't send my Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior year to Mordor. I'd repeat them if I had the chance. High School was great!

I had a more than full load, all my classes were AP, and I had to keep a high GPA, but despite that the workload was about zero compared to college.

I did all of my homework while I was sitting in class and still had time left over to be the class clown and crack jokes.

Then after school was out I had hours of free time that I could spend on music, sports, friends, and goofing off.

High school was easy street. I officially unassign High School from Mordor.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 AM   #412
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
I love high school too much to send it to Mordor. Although I would send a few maddening moments away (such as heeps of course work). I am applying to University and believe me you Year Ten-ers its absolutly horrific!!!!

Funerals. I send them to Mordor.
________
Toys Cam

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:56 AM   #413
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

refuting the phantom

Oh, most phantastic phantom, how silly you can be.

You see, I had no qualms about the rest of high school, just sophomore year (which still lies in Mordor, thank you very much. It's my Mordor, and you mustn't tamper). And it wasn't for course work or anything like that.

I was taking as many classes as I can (I was advised repeatedly to drop my second science class), with... one study hall a week. Incredibly neat stuff like studying iolic modes in Music Theory, or differentiating between quartz and halite in Enviro, molecular biology.... The classes were simply fun. And I never fell below high honors grades once in high school. Even if one class lagged, my sickeningly high scores in others kept me high on the rosters. And even though back then, a two-page paper was something to fret [read: not care, but procrastinate] about for a week, versus now being a common place nightly homework assignment, do not think, m'boy of Omaha, that t'was the course numbers that soured me on 10th grade.

Quote:
I did all of my homework while I was sitting in class and still had time left over to be the class clown and crack jokes.
If I can remember my homework schedule... it was somewhat like this:

History Class: do Bio homework.
Bio: do Enviro
Enviro: finish English
English: study Spanish
Spanish: do History
Health: draw because I had no art class
Music Theory: write my music, dissect classical pieces, finish other homework
Lab: do bio lab work
Study Hall: play flute in band room
Phys Ed: find all ways possible to avoid participation... except in soccer

In the end, my homework was generally done (this was before learning that there was not a single consequence gradewise to not doing it), leaving me with loads of free time after school. So it was not the homework that soured me on sophomore year, dear friend.

Sophomore year was simply a bit of growing up that I would not relinquish for the world, it having made me who I now am; however many memories of the experience are Mordor-worthy. I much prefer not to dwell on the petty fights, the "loves", the rumors spread about me, the threats made to me... sophomore year was, all in all, quite the experience... but at the time, it really sucked. And we are sending sucky things to Mordor. Capiche?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #414
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Posted by Fea:
Quote:
Perhaps you could figure out these secret identities by the rep points given?
I do know that the *snicker* rep was worth quite a few points & my main target is the one & only Nilp. But he's being his usually shifty & confusing self so I can't be sure. In the spirit of the WW games that are starting up, I am now suspicious of you, Fea, because of the tone in which you addressed the situation. As for the second one (the "hee hee"), I got another rep or two besides that in the time it took to check my User CP so I have no idea how many points it was worth. Oh well.
To make this a more 'on topic' post:

I hearby assign unsigned positive reps received for a post condemning unsigned positive reps to Mordor uh...to Mordor.

Also any majorish sicknesses that causes anyone to miss the last seven basketball games of the season & wreck anyone's knees.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:20 AM   #415
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I hereby assign 28 hour shifts that end when there's too much light outside to fall asleep afterward to Mordor. I'm dead tired right now, but there's no way I'm going to nod off before tonight.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #416
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
I relegate AP Physics II to Mordor!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #417
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
I would never send my Highschool life to Mordor although I am glad to be done with it. There are simply too many Drama Queens in Highschool and too many hormone driven girls as well!!!!Both of those can go to Mordor untill they have cleaned up their act!!!!!

I am loving University so far, and I haven't discovered anything yet that is worth sending to Mordor.

However, I would like to send roadtests to Mordor!!!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #418
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
The pungent, musty smell of shinguards. It permeates everything and stinks up the soccer bag, uniforms, practice clothes, cleats, water bottle (that's pleasant, when what you're drinking stinks...), and not to mention bedroom. And washing doesn't even help. They look clean, but they still stink. Ugh. Along with days that are too warm for windows to be opened for fresh air and candles that fail to produce enough scent to counter the shinguards.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:59 PM   #419
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

here's to sending fake food (ie spray on butter, anything with dye, craft cheese, low fat whatever, aspartamine, non-dairy creamer, tv dinners, whatever) to mordor!!! depart into the darkness that awaits you and your masters!!
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #420
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hear hear, Eonwe!

What really gets my goat is linguistic imperialism - when English people in films are made to use American words.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was full of this sort of thing. So for example we had the very English Charlie and his very English father and grandfather, referring on numerous occasions to their 'pants'. Now, we know what a person with an American accent means by pants. But when a person with an English accent talks about pants, he means his underwear. What he puts on over his pants are trousers, which is what the characters clearly meant.
It's just silly, misleading and unnecessary - don't tell me an American audience wouldn't know what trousers were.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #421
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Lost passports and all the resulting complications. Grrrrr! Still in London.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #422
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Now, we know what a person with an American accent means by pants. But when a person with an English accent talks about pants, he means his underwear. What he puts on over his pants are trousers, which is what the characters clearly meant.
Pants to me is translated as meaning something is rubbish or useless. So you might say "I'm not reading anything fantasy after reading Tolkien, everything else is just pants." Trousers are 'kecks'.

I'm sending to Mordor: Anti-Cyclonic Depression. There I was this morning hopefully waiting for a glimpse of the partial eclipse, but the Anti-Cyclonic Depression that was the weather today (i.e. clouds and general greyness and an absence of any weather, even rain) made this impossible. It went a little darker but it was impossible to tell if this was just the unremitting Yorkshire gloom.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #423
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Sting

I send the people my father works for to Mordor. They want my dad to go on this week long business trip to Philadelphia. Guess when his plane leaves?? Thanksgiving day!!! I know, its terrible.

To Mordor with whoever made that decission.

I also send dish washers to Mordor.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #424
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Time to repay Fea and send tantalising SAVES to Mordor once more...

And the Norman Conquest (unlike Tollers, out of laziness not aesthetics)
Old 10-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #425
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Awful, aren't they, Ang.

I'll send to Mordor... my first Uni Psych test. When 14/25 students fail, regardless of pages upon pages of note-taking, scrupulous homework completion, hours of studying, and a lot of desire to pass, you know that there is something wrong. When one of the notes in the margin of the "little blue book" in which you've got eight full pages of short answers, compare/contrasts, and essays that you wrote in an hour says "you didn't need to go into this detail here" instead of commending you for knowing so well the difference between reinforcement and punishment...

Oh, and when you get full credit taken away because you wrote "study" instead of "science" on one of the questions. That entire test and test-taking experience is Mordor-worthy.

Also Mordor-worthy is living on the third floor when you take dance classes. Those stairs just plain hurt to climb up and down some days.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #426
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

By the power of the frustration of all high school seniors vested in me, I hereby banish the SATs to Mordor. Be gone with you!

I should not have to face a test that determines my whole future at 7:45 am on a Saturday. Actually, I should never have to face it. Period. It's not that I'm a bad student: my grades are very good, but I really do not test well. It's my second time through the SAT's. Yuck.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #427
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I send exams to Mordor. That and the seven students who failed the easiest History test on Tuesday.

I also send babysitting to Mordor. Especially when it's your younger sibling.

Another thing I send to Mordor is not being able to spend time with your girl/boyfriend. Reason is because my girlfriend is going to a dance tonight and I can't go. So with that I send my parents when they're in a bad mood.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:18 PM   #428
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
So with that I send my parents when they're in a bad mood.
Careful Glirdan. You don't want to open up that can of worms again ...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #429
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I hereby send to Mordor straight from England:

Prefab fish and chips at an English Pub that knows better.

The lack of a good Porter at any English Pub (other than Guinness, which belongs in the Shire).

Brit tailgaters, who are far and away worse than American tailgaters; seriously, they must have a deathwish! I admit that I didn't always drive as fast as the speed limit, but then I don't believe in sending my car into adverse camber at every bloody turn either! Who decided how fast you can drive around curves in that bloody country, anyway? But leaving no better than a five foot gap between their front bumper and my rear bumper, on average? Absolutely bonkers nuts, I tell you.

No paper currency smaller than a five pound note, can go to Mordor, and the resulting drag on my trousers pocket, full of 2 & 1 pound, and 50, 20, 10, 5, 2, and 1 pence coins. Oh, and the ease with which one can accidentally toss a 2 pound coin instead of the 2 pence coin in the guitarist begger's case on Victoria Street; they're virtually the same size and weight.

The snarling mess that is the London metropolitan road system.

To Mordor with all of it (still, I had a great time).
Old 10-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #430
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Brit tailgaters, who are far and away worse than American tailgaters ... Absolutely bonkers nuts, I tell you.
Hmm, mayhaps you encountered me on the road while you were over here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
The snarling mess that is the London metropolitan road system.
Amen to that. And you can throw the M25 Motorway and the London Underground in for good measure. In fact, the whole darn London public transport system, which I have to use every day, and which is teetering dangerously on the edge of complete and utter collapse.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #431
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmmmm..... whereas I quite agree about the mess that is M25 (especially between M1 and A3), I found the underground to be rather clear and understandable and usable, if complex (which it has to be, it being London, of course), though most of my use was during non-peak hours.

Was that you in the Yorkshire Dales, in the farm truck? Or was that you in the Cotswolds from Burford to Lechlade? I never really had tailgaters in and around London. Of course, how can one NOT tailgate in and around London? You just put up with the close proximity of all other vehicles, whether in front, behind, to right, or left.

Fellow Americans, you have no idea how narrow the lanes are in England! I will never again complain about a side street only having enough room for one car to get between parked cars on either side; in England the lanes actually do get narrower than a Mini Cooper at times, depending upon how close the houses on either side of the road are. Bring down a house to widen the road? The English would never do such a thing! Never!
Old 10-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #432
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
(especially between M1 and A3)
Don't I just know it. That just happens to be my part of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
I found the underground to be rather clear and understandable and usable, if complex
Using it twice a day at peak times is fittingly analagous to a bi-daily trip through Mordor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Of course, how can one NOT tailgate in and around London?
Yup. I have been reared on London driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Fellow Americans, you have no idea how narrow the lanes are in England!
On the plus side, the cars are a more realistic size over here. Actually, I love driving down narrow country lanes. They are most certainly the stuff of the Shire IMHO.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #433
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
On the plus side, the cars are a more realistic size over here.
Small cars that aren't made for a larger man should go to Mordor. I can't tell you how difficult it is to find a car that I can almost feel comfortable in. It's a rare car that doesn't force my knees into my chest.

Also feeling old when you're only in your late 20's needs to go to Mordor. Why can't I still feel young?

Painting apartments on Friday night and having to go to work on Saturday. That's no weekend!
Old 10-07-2005, 09:36 PM   #434
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

I'm not sure if I'd send "tailgaters" to Mordor or not. I suppose it depends on how you define them.

I think that it is perfectly acceptable to tailgate, honk, and flash your lights at someone who is going well below the speed limit- like going under 35 in a 45 zone.

But, people who tailgate when you are going the speed limit or above... yes, indeed, they should go to Mordor.

Unless it is rush hour. During rush hour, every car behind and in front of you for twenty miles is tailgating. That's just the way it is.
Quote:
Heh. I've seen pictures, and it looks horrible.

I think lanes should always have a tiny bit of padding to allow for the slight amount of swerving that usually takes place when you are trying to change clothes and eat dinner while driving.
Quote:
Go ahead- brag all you want about having "realistic" cars, but one day when you run a red light in your tiny little almost-a-car and smack into the side of my towering SUV, you'll probably feel awfully silly.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #435
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
Oh, and the ease with which one can accidentally toss a 2 pound coin instead of the 2 pence coin in the guitarist begger's case on Victoria Street; they're virtually the same size and weight.
Virtually the same size and weight? Perhaps the guitarist begger hypnotised you?

Oh dear. I've started a reply. What can I send to Mordor in such a joyous state...?

Fossil fuels will do, on the subject of American cars. Moreover, the burning of the aforementioned.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #436
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
How about we send all of America to Mordor? Sorry, just kidding. Don't lynch me now!

I send studies to the deepest pits of the darkest corner of the most barren region of Mordor. Especially Organic Chemistry and Cellbiology right now...
Whoops, don't have time for this... Got to go and read my 1500 pages thick Biologybook.

Btw, this is my 50th post. Yiipiekay yey! What a great contribution to this forum...

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #437
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
Yes, I was thinking the same thing; although there were some (go-)car(t)s in England, made by Ford I think, that you could put in the bed of a Ram 2500. I do not recall seeing any of those on M1 or M25, and wise were all they who stayed away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM
Actually, I love driving down narrow country lanes. They are most certainly the stuff of the Shire IMHO.
Well, of course! Nothing beats it! Especially when it's a B road that the city folks must think are the plague. We found some of the greatest places by taking the country lanes that American tourists are expected to stay off of. Like Bibury, Coln Roger ... but now this is sounding like the Shire thread instead of Mordor, so I better stop and find something to rant about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormegil
Small cars that aren't made for a larger man should go to Mordor.
Surprisingly enough to me, there was one small car we were given a ride in that had tons of foot space; which I could tell you the model.

Okay, here's a Rant: Why does England observe the metric system in terms of weather (celsius) and liquid (litres of petrol), but not distance (miles)? At least in America, the failure to switch to the metric system can be blamed on laziness, and the continued use thereof in soda/pop/coke can be blamed on marketing (increase the size of the bottle a little and raise the price a lot). The English inconsistency may hereby go to Mordor (unless, of course, there is a logical answer to my question above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
I think that it is perfectly acceptable to tailgate, honk, and flash your lights at someone who is going well below the speed limit- like going under 35 in a 45 zone.
What about on a 16 degree (or greater) uphill grade in a Renault Clio, which doesn't have the guts to accelerate in ANY gear on such a slope? I swear, I was at least 10 below the speed limit, could not coax any more out of this (ahem) little French beast, and the farm truck was less than 2 feet off my tail; how was I even supposed to downshift without causing an accident (by the way, I did, and made the guy that much madder ... double meaning fully intended!) So little French cars with no guts can go to Mordor too.

And while we're on the topic of narrow lanes, I kid you not: the dotted line down the middle of the road STAYS in the middle of the road, while the lanes (two way traffic, now!) continually get narrower and narrower until the dotted line would by anyone's calculations look ridiculous, so it ceases as the (two way traffic) road continues to narrow until CLEARLY only one car can go through at a time. At Merton college in Oxford, there is one drive on which the dotted line continues along with the narrowing road until the road is only two feet wide, one foot on either side of the line; then a dead end. I wish I'd taken a picture. I had to laugh. But that, I would not send to Mordor.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #438
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Quote:
Heh. I've seen pictures, and it looks horrible

To quote the great Basil Fawlty....some of our English cars have steering wheels.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #439
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
I send wedding's to Mordor. They take up your homeowork time, and I need that time a LOT this weekend. That and the wedding is on a Holiday weekend. Now who does that? (I don't mean to offend anyone by that BTW)
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #440
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
some of our English cars have steering wheels
Ha ha! Wow, you guys are really getting advanced over there!

No no, staying in the lane wouldn't be the hard part (for me, anyway). It's just that the streets aren't big enough to allow for any passing. If a car is creeping along, you can't do anything about it- you just have to stay behind him. Where as here, if a car is creeping down my street I simply dart around him.

Also, I prefer to have a few feet of space between my vehicle and the vehicle next to me, which is being driven by a dolt who barely passed his driving test and has the quick, sharp reflexes of a drunken sloth.

You see, I've never hit anyone with my car, but I have had five people bump me. Two backed into me, one bumped me from behind, and one tapped me on my right side and one on my left. They assail you from all sides! I don't need wider lanes for myself, I need them to keep everyone else away!

Of course, it wouldn't be necessary if they just made it a bit more difficult to get a license. So I say, off to Mordor with easy driving tests!