Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #3601
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
It occurred to me, but I didn't feel like looking up the dates... maybe the Rohirrim just have technically advanced footwear?

I'll change it - thinking now, I have something else in mind...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #3602
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
It occurred to me, but I didn't feel like looking up the dates... maybe the Rohirrim just have technically advanced footwear?

I'll change it - thinking now, I have something else in mind...
Aww, that was a neat post. Made me laugh. And Elempi's facts are probably from a Shire history book, so it's safe to ignore them...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #3603
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Aww, that was a neat post. Made me laugh. And Elempi's facts are probably from a Shire history book, so it's safe to ignore them...
Funny, G55.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #3604
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I wouldn't trust anything the Hobbits had to say about shoes anyway.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #3605
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Backwards breeches is better! And I like the alliteration.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #3606
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It has begun. Whoever wishes to see the Elf first, go ahead and post.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #3607
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ha! I don't know what to think of this elf, who comes to study the mere humans, with all their foibles and faults and weaknesses, like a scientist might go to an animal's natural habitat to study it.

I am looking forward to further interaction between characters.

By the way, Lhuna has promised to look in on Scarburg, so I won't take Saeryn out just yet. P'raps another character can go spot the elf. If it's sunrise, the men'll be rising soon....well...they should be up by now. Sunrise in winter is laaaaaate.

-- Foley
Old 12-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #3608
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just letting you know that I haven't forgotten about Ledwyn, and I have half a post written for her. I was about to write how she sees Laerdil, but I thought it would be rather illogical for her to arrive so early. Considering that she set out early in the morning, but not the middle of the night, and walked at least a mile by foot (and got a lift the rest of the way), I'd say she'd be there sometime after breakfast.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #3609
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Ha! I don't know what to think of this elf, who comes to study the mere humans, with all their foibles and faults and weaknesses, like a scientist might go to an animal's natural habitat to study it.
Like and not like. No true elf is mere scientist.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #3610
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Foley, how tall do you have Thornden in your mind?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #3611
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Over six feet.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #3612
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

The big brother is always biggest, except for Dad.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #3613
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yay, Elempi! You posted!

Uh...I think Javan was the one who showed the elf into the great Hall, so in your second paragraph I think it should be that he thanked Javan, not Lady Saeryn. Is that right?

-- Foley
Old 12-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #3614
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Fixed. Hmm.... I wonder what Rowenna thinks of him?

And I haven't heard from Noggie - I think I'm going to have to go ahead and create "a scene" with Scyrr, but not until after he wakes up. I'll have it that Athanar is still asleep and Eodwine prefers not to waken him.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #3615
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sounds good. The morning is moving along at a goodly pace. The men-at-arms should be up shortly, I imagine.

I'm kind of curious about what Rowenna thinks of the elf, too.

-- Foley
Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #3616
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, posted. Eodwine's and Rowenna's reactions to Laerdil. Let me know if you think I'm overdoing it. It's hard to gauge this kind of thing. Tolkien had a skill for these kinds of comparisons, and all I can do is either copy or imagine, or a mixture of both.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #3617
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Finally posted. I left it wide open for who Scyld might have sat down with, so anyone who wants to get a character back in play is welcome to respond.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #3618
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Awesome!! I'm going to post this afternoon! After breakfast.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #3619
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Hello, players!

There is a new would-be player in the RPG forum - Aragorn (See his post HERE). You'll note I've given him links to the basic rules of Downs' RP'ing.

I have directed him here, since this is the only viable RPG thread at present.

He will need some guidance and mentoring once he introduces himself in this thread. Can someone(s) please step up and give assist.

I'll let Fea and Formy know they could also step in and give him help, too.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #3620
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I could give some assistance to the new player. My availability may be spotty come January, so if someone else could join, too, that'd be ideal.

-- Folwren
Old 12-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #3621
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I can't believe nothing has happened on this for so long!

Anyway, Lhuna and I have been writing behind your guys' backs and have created a co-post. However, it goes back at the beginning of the Day for the game, so I'm going to post it here so nobody misses it, and edit it into an earlier post of mine.

I edited this into my post number 1246.

Ginna and Saeryn

Ginna had already filled a basin with water, and together they rinsed the meat first in a bucket and then laid them to soak in the basin.

As they bent over it together, Saeryn said, “I saw you and Harreld dancing last night. I noticed you two seemed. . ." how could she put it? They had been more companiable, happier, even joyful. "As though you were celebrating something."

"Yes, Saeryn. We were finally able to talk last night. It went well."

Ginna tried, she really tried, but she failed to suppress the wide smile that threatened to form in her lips. She knew she was holding much back, and felt a slight pang of guilt for doing so (especially to Saeryn, who had always been there for her!), but Ginna was in such a good mood that she couldn't help being a little mischievous. And, she thought, it would make for better storytelling to give details a little at a time, as they were demanded.

Saeryn waited expectently a moment, and then seeing that Ginna was not going to open up without prodding, said, "So. . .what did you decide?"

"I did not decide on anything," Ginna said as she carefully dropped a strip of meat in the basin. "Well, nothing new, anyway. You know what I wanted to happen all this time. Harreld, on the other hand..." And she stopped there, letting a grin fill out the missing words.

Saeryn stared at her, her eyes wide. "You mean, he changed his mind? He is going to pursue you, despite what your father said?"

"Yes!" Ginna exclaimed, breathless with joy. "Harreld did not tell me what Eodwine had said in its entirety to help sway him, but it seems I owe much of this to your husband. I do not know what I would do without you two. Thank you, Saeryn."

Saeryn almost put her arms about Ginna in an impulsive hug, but she stopped herself from using her cold, wet hands, and instead just flashed a huge smile that said more than words could about how she felt.

"Eodwine's return will set to right many things, I hope," she said. "I am so happy for you, Ginna! Will you write your father? When. . .did you talk about when you might marry?"

The smile did not leave Ginna's face, but she felt that her happiness was tempered by a sense of sobriety. "We have not gone that far. I guess we are taking things a step at a time. But you are right, I do have to tell my father about this."

Saeryn gave her an encouraging smile. "I think your father will understand, especially if Eodwine sends a letter to tell your father that Harreld is a noble young man and that he approves of your choice."

"He does not have to do that," Ginna replied. "Eodwine has already done so much for us. I shall inform my father myself. Whether or not he understands, Harreld and I have already decided and it will not change."

Saeryn looked admiringly at her, but also with a little sadness. It would not be easy on Ginna if her father did not change his mind. His disapproval could cause the marriage to go forward with difficulty, or perhaps not at all.

They finished putting the meat they needed to soak and as they washed their hands together, Saeryn said, "I will still have Eodwine write. I think it will be best."

Last edited by Folwren; 12-30-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #3622
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Great post!

Quote:
I can't believe nothing has happened on this for so long!
I'm waiting for breakfast to be over and everyone to start their work so that I can interrupt everything.

(Real reason is that I think it would make sense with the timing, if Ledwyn walked a few miles that day...)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #3623
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Sounds like a reasonable plan, Galadriel. Maybe I can rouse up a bit of action so you can finally get started.

-- Foley
Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #3624
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hulloooooo?
Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #3625
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

'Ello.

I guess I'll just post today, and not wait till breakfast is over, if there are no objections.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #3626
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I keep meaning to post... I'll get to it soon. Tonight. Come after me with a big stick if I don't.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #3627
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Posted!

I didn't specify who the man was. Could be a character or just a random unimportant nameless man.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #3628
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry, G55. I feel like we let you down. I got indescribably busy for a while there. Glad you took the initiative.

If you want, G55, I can have Harreld my blacksmith be the one who has just finished breakfast, but he doesn't hurry. Or, more interestingly, she could find herself surprised to have run into an unhurrying hobbit.... these would require minor changes in the end of your post. Or - - Foley could handle it and it could be Thornden.

Let us know what you want to do.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 01-15-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #3629
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Let us know what you want to do.
Actually, I am much less initiative than you think. I was hoping that one of you would decide on that.

But I could edit my post for either of your characters or Thornden. I didn't have anyone specific in mind when I wrote the post. Which encounter would you prefer to write, one with Harreld or with Falco? (Foley, do you want it to be Thornden?)
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #3630
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I have not read your post yet, but Thornden HAS gotten up from breakfast, so he would be available.

And I am sorry I didn't let you all know before I left, but I just got back from a week and a half vacation. I should be active now.

-- Foley

EDIT: K, I read it. If it's Thornden, I'd ask you to alter the post a little... He wouldn't be hurrying any place, and he won't look confused when she asks for Athanar - possible hesitant would be a better word.

Last edited by Folwren; 01-15-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #3631
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
EDIT: K, I read it. If it's Thornden, I'd ask you to alter the post a little... He wouldn't be hurrying any place, and he won't look confused when she asks for Athanar - possible hesitant would be a better word.
Done!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #3632
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Great, then I guess I'd better post, huh?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #3633
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Wow, that took me forever to write that post.

Okay, Elempi and G55, there's opportunity for both of you to write something, I've no doubt.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #3634
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Galadriel, I do intend to have Saeryn sit down in just a moment with your character. She just got distracted for a minute, is all. Sorry.

And, if there are any mis-spelled words, it is because I have no program on this new laptop that has a spell-checker, and some words, I just can't spell, so...I hope you'll forgive them until I buy a word processing program that I like.

-- Foley
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #3635
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thought provoking pair of posts, Firefoot. I'm mulling what to have my characters say and do. Hope to post soon.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #3636
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hi, I aim to post today, too. Sickness, school, and work opportunities have been keeping me busy. Sorry about the delay.

-- Folwren
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #3637
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Kath, Lhuna, are you around?

I don't want to start a conversation with characters whose writers are unable to write.

I could just skip the talk, or put it off until later, and find something to do for Ledwyn in the kitchen. Or, alternatively, get Theolain to do something.

What do you think?
Old 01-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #3638
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'd definitely say get Theolain to do something. There are other kids around somewhere, maybe he'll run into them. Except...Lommy's not around writing, and I'm really the only one who'd write for the kids.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 PM   #3639
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
There are other kids around somewhere, maybe he'll run into them.
Or he'll run into other things first. I'm not gonna spoil it, in case you read this before I write my post for the game thread. ^.^

But that's certainly a possibility. I'm going to leave my post open for anyone to begin interaction.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #3640
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Or he'll run into other things first. I'm not gonna spoil it, in case you read this before I write my post for the game thread. ^.^

But that's certainly a possibility. I'm going to leave my post open for anyone to begin interaction.
Haha! Good post. I will leave my characters out, unless no one else interrupts. I'd like to see you and your characters interact with other players and their people.

-- Foley