The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #881
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oh, yes, could be... hmm... do you have any particular idea what kind of hint should I give? Because I can't stumble upon anything right now

Well, I can advise you - forget the first three lines and think about them as the last thing. Focus on the second part.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 AM   #882
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Could it be Maglor?

We left our homes
for the new lands.
- obvious, Noldor left Aman

With my high hopes
I failed my friends.
- erm... he wished to survive of the oath more peacefully then his brothers

Rain pouring down,
creature unknown
that brought us doom.
- hmm... ok, no comments, I'm sure it could mean something, but I don't just feel like torturing my brain anymore

Now I am left to talk to myself.
What now to do? Sit down or play?
But the doom came: Forever stay.
- Maglor's end alone in the shores, "bonded" to the Silmaril he threw to the sea and according to legends, always singing and playing by the seashore.

Any close?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #883
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Durin the Deathless?

We left our homes
for the new lands.

- dwarves leaving the belegost and nogrod for moria.

With my high hopes
I failed my friends.

- dwarves was adamant against sauron, but in the end they excluded everyone around them and focused on themselves and their greed

Rain pouring down,
creature unknown
that brought us doom.

- the sleeping Balrog that drove the dwarves out.

- called Durins Bane, forever etched in the minds of all dwarves.

Durin the Deathless includes every Durin due to his name, and with that they each experienced the rise and fall of moria.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #884
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I must disappoint you - neither of your answers is correct. Lommy, I suggest you try to rack your brain a little more to find an explanation even for the rain part Gil, your interpretations are sometimes very... forced, and you certainly don't provide any interpretation for the "rain pouring down" part. That is no poetic filler to make a rhyme or anything like that. In fact, I suggest focusing more on the "rain pouring down" verse than on the "we left our homes" part - the explanation of the home-leaving is far, far less apparent, I believe.

But don't let that bring you down - keep trying
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #885
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Question

Could it be Turin?

We left our homes
for the new lands.-Turin being sent from Dor-lomin to Doriath
With my high hopes
I failed my friends.- The kingdom of Nargothrond is destroyed because of his high hopes
Rain pouring down,-it was raining when Nienor arrived near Brethil
creature unknown
that brought us doom.-Glaurung, coming to attack Brethil
What now to do? Sit down or play?-after Glaurung is killed, Turin debates whether he should seek his kin in Doriath or avoid them so as not to cast his doom upon them
But the doom came: Forever stay.-Mablung brings him the tidings which prove that Nienor was Niniel and Turin kills himself.

I know I must be way off...
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #886
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, not that bad, but it is not the correct answer. Why the strong emphasis on "we" when we'd be talking about Túrin alone? And the "we" are all the same all the time. In fact, the riddle is pretty consistent. We have the Subject, Its Friends (all subsumed under "we" in the beginning), and Creature Unknown. That's all, and that's all you need to know. And still the whole life story of the subject is caught there, not missing a single important thing.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #887
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Could it be Beren and Luthien?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #888
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

And which of them would be the "I"? But no, I can tell you, it's neither of them.

Keep trying. Really, it's very simple.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #889
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dűm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
How's Hurin?

He took off for the battle of Unnumbered Tears,
With his hopes of victory he ultimately failed,
Rain- no idea, creature- shall we say collectively the traitors of the Easterlings
Then he sat for years on that chair by himself,
And then he was set free and had time on his hands
And he found out about the deaths of his children and his wife died, leaving him with practically nothing to live for.

Maybe this is bizarre, but distintelly possible.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #890
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Good try, but unfortunately wrong.

The "creature unknown" is quite important there (since it brought "them" doom!), and it is only one creature, really, not any collective label for a group. Also, it was unknown - that's also very, very, very, very important - the Easterlings, after all, were known to the others. Their treachery was unknown (or rather: unforseen; at the moment it really came to be, it of course became, and thus was, known even to the betrayed ones).
Old 04-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #891
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Azaghâl has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
[...]

Rain- no idea, [...]
The rain part is puzzling indeed.
I can't think of so many occasions when it rains in any of the books, and none seems to fit with the rest of the riddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Oh, yes, could be... hmm... do you have any particular idea what kind of hint should I give? Because I can't stumble upon anything right now

[...]
Would you maybe tell us which book your riddle is referring to, or would that make it too easy?
Azaghâl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #892
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaghâl View Post
The rain part is puzzling indeed.
I can't think of so many occasions when it rains in any of the books, and none seems to fit with the rest of the riddle.

Would you maybe tell us which book your riddle is referring to, or would that make it too easy?
I think it would; and that itself is a hint Indeed, maybe as there are not too many, you may try to think about situations when it rains in the books. Write these occassions down or something and then try if the rest would fit with them. This one would fit!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #893
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Legate, I hope you're still around because I think I have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
We left our homes
for the new lands.
With my high hopes
I failed my friends.
Quote:
'What the 'ell William was a-thinkin' of to bring us into these parts at all, beats me - and the drink runnin' short, what's more,'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Rain pouring down,
Quote:
Then the rain began to pour down worse than ever, and Oin and Gloin began to fight.

Quote:
creature unknown
that brought us doom.
Quote:
'A burrahobbit?' said they a bit startled.

Quote:
Quote:
William never spoke for he stood turned to stone as he stooped; and Bert and Tom were stuck like rocks as they looked at him.

If that is not correct, then I will ask for a hint.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #894
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Yay!!! Finally! Wonderful, Azaghal, you have accomplished what many attempted but could not do! Fantastic! Congratulations to you! And you may now take the thread and give us something of your production for exchange
Old 07-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #895
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Thanks for the compliments, Legate. Here's what I could come up with:

Once an ambassador in the North,
I held briefly one of the three in my hand,
A mere warrior when tears were shed uncounted,
Twice a bearer of fateful news,
Twice as a warden I failed.

Hope this is not too easy, also please bear with a non-native English speaker.

Last edited by Azaghâl; 07-19-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #896
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Mablung?

Once an ambassador in the North, –he was one of the messengers Thingol sent north to the Feast of Reuniting.

I held briefly one of the three in my hand, – he cut the Silmaril from Carcharoth's body and passed it to Beren.

A mere warrior when tears were shed uncounted, –he fought in the Battle of Unnumbered Tears.

Twice a bearer of fateful news, –he brought Thingol and Melian the news of Carcharoth's onslaught and the news that Morwen and Nienor were lost.

Twice as a warden I failed. –He failed to keep Carcharoth or the Dwarves of Nogrod out of Doriath.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #897
Azaghâl
Haunting Spirit

Well done, Nerwen. Maybe it was too easy after all. Only nitpick: the fateful news I had in mind were about the arrival of Carcharoth which led to Beren's death, and the news about Nienor leading to Turin's death.

Also, the failures as a warden I had in mind were his death before the gates in Menegroth at the hand of the Dwarves, and his failure to keep Morwen and Nienor safe. This last one may be my fault as I am not sure wether "warden" is the proper word when applied to people, or is only correct for places (like I said English is not my first language).

Anyway, the thread is yours, Nerwen.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #898
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaghâl View Post
Also, the failures as a warden I had in mind were his death before the gates in Menegroth at the hand of the Dwarves, and his failure to keep Morwen and Nienor safe.
It occurred to me that you might mean that, but I went with his failure to prevent assaults on Doriath, because "warden" tends to be used in the sense of someone in charge of a place... though it isn't clear-cut.

Okay, now I have to think up a riddle. I am terrible at this.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #899
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Indeed you are. It's been two and half months and you still couldn't come up with anything. Unbelievable.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #900
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I think Nerwen has alltogether forsaken the quiz room

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 AM   #901
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I think Nerwen has alltogether forsaken the quiz room
If you're worried, you could always PM her...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #902
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
In a heroic attempt to revive the Quiz Room, The Might returns on a shiny Dragon he was able to buy with money he made of the latest financial crisis. So after a lot of deals with corrupt businessmen he now feels strong enough to announce the next riddle:

A term of address, simple in sense
Fairly normal, without any glance
To a great explorer once given
By his father who had just seen'em.

You have 48 hours.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #903
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think at least I need a hint.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #904
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well, a bigger hint then I should probably give: Númenor
Old 12-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #905
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm convinced this has something to do with Aldarion and his father Meneldur; but I think you need a more specific answer?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:07 AM   #906
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yes, that is true, now you need to tell me the term used.
You of course must realise that I cannot really give any more hints now.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #907
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

I do not think I will ever remember without looking in the book. It's been too long since I read it. Good riddle!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #908
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Are you looking for "King"? As in Tar-Aldarion , King of Numenor?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 AM   #909
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

It's "normal, without glance".

Nothing like "The Awesome" or "The Great" or even "King".

EDIT: your answer just made me think of an Elvis-like Aldarion.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 AM   #910
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Still no luck? Then think about family ties.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #911
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Could you possibly mean "son"?
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #912
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yes! And the Elvish for it would be...
Old 01-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #913
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Onya?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #914
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Correct! Take it away, sir!
Old 05-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #915
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Bump

Where's Eonwe?

I'm riddle-deprived
Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #916
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

I'm sorry. You can take it if you want.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #917
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I attempted a little riddle. Hope no-one minds me jumping in (or my awkward rhymes)...

Winged sun first light did greet
Flowers sprang beneath his feet
But despite all his valour and might
Bright day turned into blackest night

The weight I carried was no longer there
A burden too heavy for me to bear

Last edited by skip spence; 05-04-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Felt compelled to change a word to make it more accurate
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #918
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye Bigfoot

Hi Skip,

nice one,

could it be Fingolfin?

Winged sun first light did meet,
Flowers sprang beneath his feet -when the sun first rose ovee the host of Noldor
But despite all his valour and might,
Bright day turned into blackest night, - of the duel of Fingolfin and Morgoth

The weight I carried was no longer there
A burden too heavy for me to bear - guilt over the kinslaying, or the weight of Morgoth's big boot?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #919
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Close, but no cigar, Rumil.

The first four lines do refer to Fingolfin though.

Last edited by skip spence; 05-04-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Grammar
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #920
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye Horsey, horsey, a kingdom for my horsey

Aha,

tis clear now, surely Rochallor, Fingolfin's mighty steed?

The burden being the High King himself

(I guess Rochallor was fortunate that Forlong wasn't his master!)