The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 5 - Chapter 08 - The Houses of Healing

This is one of my favourite chapters! It’s full of emotional highlights, with both touching and humorous moments. Though fighting continues, we are taken away from the battle scene to the aftermath, the necessary process of healing for those who have been severely hurt, more than just injured. We follow Gandalf, who no longer takes an active part in the battle – that alone shows us how important the persons of whom he takes care are!

Though the readers begin the chapter accompanying Merry from his point of view, we soon lose his eyes when he succumbs to his ailment. After that, the narrator follows various characters, until the threads of the tale come together in the Houses of Healing.

The usually cheerful Merry is greatly changed, seeing the city as his tomb and wondering if Pippin is taking him to be buried. Instead, Gandalf himself comes in search of him, a sign of the honour Merry deserves, which Gandalf also puts into words.

We readers are primarily interested in the fates of the three patients important and known to us, though there are many in the Houses of Healing. I find it interesting that the loss of healing ability and knowledge in Gondor is mentioned especially in connection with old age, touching on the issue previously mentioned. It is also interesting that Gandalf is relatively helpless here, lacking the ability to heal the patients – should we have expected him to be able to do that?

Instead, Aragorn is the one who brings healing. His humility is shown when he refuses to enter the city without legitimation. For all he knows, Denethor is still alive, and Imrahil shares his sceptical attitude toward the Steward’s willingness to accept his authority. We see that the future King has learned the lesson he was taught at the Golden Hall – no arrogance, even though he be in the right! Pippin later mentions the similarity between Aragorn and Gandalf, and it shows once when he (at that moment yet unknown) enters the city clad in inconspicuous grey.

One of my favourite minor characters, and one of the few women introduced in the story by name and with conversation, is Ioreth. It’s interesting that she and the herb-master provide the occasion for some humour, a rare occurrence outside of the Shire. Though she is shown as talkative, garrulous even, she is also the repository of wisdom and important to the healing process with her knowledge of old wives’ tales. This is where Celeborn’s prediction comes true! She is practical and cares for her charges, and even plays a pivotal role in the acceptance of Aragorn as king by the people of the city, since she spreads the story of the healings.

Aragorn and Gandalf have all of the good, humorous lines, showing their wit – gently mocking without being spiteful. I love the dry fun of lines such as:
Quote:
One thing is also short, time for speech.
…run as quick as your tongue…
…she shall take me to the woods, but not to her sisters.
…I care not whether you say asëa aranion or kingsfoil, so long as you have some.
…go and find some old man of less lore and more wisdom who keeps some in his house!
…and Aragorn’s banter with Merry after healing him.

Another minor character, Bergil, plays a small but pivotal role in bringing the athelas to Aragorn. Interestingly, a good deal of the healing precedes the use of the herb – Aragorn touches the patients and appears to struggle internally to call them back. What do you think of the various steps in the healing process? Did you notice that there are slight variations in his treatment of the three? Let’s discuss the differing reactions of each as well; Éowyn’s healing is especially interesting due to the conversations carried on about her. Aragorn also leaves different instructions for the convalescence of each.

There are so many wonderful, quotable lines in this chapter; I’d like to mention my absolute favourite:
Quote:
His grief he will not forget; but it will not darken his heart, it will teach him wisdom.
Which is your favourite line?

One more detail in this already lengthy introduction (pardon my enthusiasm – there’s still plenty left for all of you to discuss!!) – Aragorn chooses yet another name, or rather ennobles a nickname by making it into the name of his house. “Strider” becomes “Telcontar”. I’ve mentioned my opinion on the significance of this choice on the thread about “wandering” – what do you think is important about it? (And no, it’s not just because of my nick connection that I find this interesting….)

And so the chapter ends, with the return of the King, though yet in secret and in service to his people.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote