The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Question Not just a 'tender of beasts' : Radagast's connection to Slavic Mythology

I found this very interesting article while looking up Slavic Mythology and my own geneological connections (But this isn't what this thread is really about, so back on to the topic...)

Anyways, I was, just for curiousity, looking at entries on Wikipedia of Slavic Mythology, which there really isn't alot of available and I was surprised to find the name 'Radagast' listed as a god. Very interesting!

Radagast, or also refered to as Radigost, Radegast, Radogost and other similar variations, is a Slavic god: the protector of travellers, traders and foreigners, and patron of hospitality.

If a householder does not take good care of his guests, turns away those seeking shelter or harms peacefully passing foreigners and salesmen, then Radigost punishes him. To good hosts Radigost gives a blessing: as they are compassionate to strangers, they will always find hospitality and accommodation when travelling.

Radigost's name is derived from the Old Slavonic raditi (take care, look after or consider) and gost (a guest, stranger, or foreigner).

There is a statue of Radigost on the top of mount Radhošť in the Czech Beskydy mountains. There is also a Czech beer named Radegast.

This had me wondering... Is it possible that Tolkien knew any of this background information, or did his genius just create this character without knowing this connection?

What do you think?

~ Mythologist Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

It seems likely that Tolkers knew about it. Interesting that, if he did know, he applied it to such a character as the tender of beasts.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
It's a really interesting possibility, and perhaps Tolkien kept this figure in mind while creating the character. I checked the Encyclopedia of Arda, and it gave this description for the origins of his name:

Quote:
In Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth, Christopher Tolkien indicates that his father intended to change this derivation and bring Radagast in line with the other wizard-names Gandalf and Saruman, by associating it with the old language of the Men of the Vales of Anduin. No alternative meaning is provided (indeed, Tolkien stated that the name was 'not now clearly interpretable'). One possible source (a somewhat unfounded conjecture) would be Old English rudugást, 'brown spirit' (rudu strictly means 'red' or 'red-brown' - it is the source of the modern word 'ruddy').
This etymology is not definite, but it seems to make sense. Maybe what happened was that Tolkien noticed the similarities between the two words rudugást and Radigost, and decided to combine their traits: the "brown" part from the Old English word (and brown implies a closeness with the earth like Radagast had) and the aspect of "tending" (although it's animals and birds Radagast looks after, not travelers and hosts).
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

Quote:
Radagast, or also refered to as Radigost, Radegast, Radogost and other similar variations, is a Slavic god: the protector of travellers, traders and foreigners, and patron of hospitality.
It seems like Beorn must have known this, maybe he WOULD have turned 13 dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard aside if he hadn't been concerned for what Radagast might do ... make his honey rotten or something.

But anyway, it sure explains what Radagast was doing in Wilderland, so near to the great road and Mirkwood.

Protecting travellers. From spiders? Maybe. From Dol Guldur? Maybe.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:31 PM   #5
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper of Dol Guldur
It seems like Beorn must have known this, maybe he WOULD have turned 13 dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard aside if he hadn't been concerned for what Radagast might do ... make his honey rotten or something.

But anyway, it sure explains what Radagast was doing in Wilderland, so near to the great road and Mirkwood.

Protecting travellers. From spiders? Maybe. From Dol Guldur? Maybe.
Interesting. Very interesting....

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Wonderful connections! I'm really surpriced people would actually add to the thread...

I'm going to see if there is any more information in Slavic mythology about Radagast. I hope I find some more that can help, though there is a dreadfully low amount of information about Slavic myth...

~ Research Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote