The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2002, 01:42 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting To Administrarion - Proposal

The following thought just crossed my mind:
having enormous number of posts in "the Books", should we divide the forum "by interest"? There would be subfolders in the Books titled by subject they are concerned with, i.e The Books - Balrogs (containing all balrog related topics), The Books - Rings (similar with the ring issue) and so on

Is it possible? and is it sensible?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 01:49 AM   #2
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Interesting notion, but how would it be enforced? It would be a lot of work for the mods to personally move every misplaced thread. Also, some threads would no doubt fall under more than one category.
Old 10-12-2002, 04:12 AM   #3
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And just imagine the endless sprawl of 'balrogia'.

I am rather sure the Admins have pondered Books divisions before [ especially since the created briefly Books 2] and I think wisely decided that further subdivisions would just impede dialog.

I have several times considered suggesting a " best Threads of the Downs" for particularly long running or extrememly interesting threads. and for recurring themes [Bombadil, Balrogs etc,] but the downside to this was I felt that some folks coud be inspired to keep posting on a thread pointlessly to get it in the hall of Fame.

Not that there are many BDers like that [ at least not in the few forums I haunt] but it could be tempting.

anyway those are my 2 crumbs of lembas.

oh and i have it from a little bird that whispered in my ear that these things we mention here do get discussed in the fearful barrow of Tyrn Gorthad [ lindil shudders thinking of the dry discussions and fearful decisions and ghosts of members past that must inhabit such a fearful barrow] but we prob won't here about it.

cheers
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 07:57 AM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

BOOKS II, as you’ll recall, was an artificial division of THE BOOKS forum necessitated by the thread length restrictions of EZ-Board. UBB had no such restrictions, but we found it simpler to export the forum to UBB exactly as it was and worry about combining the Books into one later. It turned out to be much later, but it did finally happen, and THE BOOKS is now as it always should have been.

Dividing THE BOOKS or any other forum would be possible, but would create havoc aesthetically. The Downs already has 15 forums which stretch down a few pages on even high-res screens. To add even more would clutter the page further and worsen its overall appearance. Such an idea might start with Balrogs and Rings, but eventually could cascade into a long list of favorite topics until the forum was ten pages high.
Old 10-12-2002, 07:59 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I have found it much easier to handle one Books forum than the two we used to have and would not enjoy having even more. It was always a bother to search which forum the thread I was looking for was on. I don't think combing through two or more forums makes the search easier. Clearly stated titles are what we need to find our way through more easily. Titles such as: "Can someone please help me", "What do you think?", or "I'm so confused" make navigation complicated and - well, confusing. Clear titles like: "Of Aragorn as Thorongil", "Coffee!", "Elves who don't speak Westron" or "The Light in Frodo's Face" make it plain what the topic is and let me know whether or not I'm interested in reading and posting.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 10:24 AM   #6
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Estelyn, you're soooo right. How often have I ignored a thread simply because I could not see what it was about?
How often have I wished that I could change the name of a thread to better reflect the topic (and to remember what the heck I posted there for?)
*grunt* All the time. I understand that if the topic name were changed it would make it harder for its creator to find it, but couldn't we change the name and send a PM to the intitial poster declaring that it was going to be changed? This would clear up the bboard tremendously. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2002, 02:14 PM   #7
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

If I'm correct, you CAN change the name of a thread that you started by just editing your first post.

The problem with such vague titles is just that - the titles are vague. No matter how relevant the question or thought-provoking the opinion, without a strong, specific title, I personally pass them over.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:26 PM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

You're correct, Elenna. Editting the first post allows the title to be changed. I edited the title of the RPG Resource thread several times simply by editing my first post.

Clarity, spelling, wit--all devoutly to be desired.

Bethberry
Old 10-12-2002, 05:02 PM   #9
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Although, then the really, really vague ones get my attention. When I know exactly what a post is about, I quite frequently don't read it unless I know I'll have something to say on the topic, but every one that says "Quick question..." I just have to open and see what the question is.

And I agree: the categories would only further confuse me, if no one else (and we all know I'm queen...just kidding)...and probably 1: would be confusing (what if you have a question concerning the Balrogs and the rings?) and would definitely 2: make it more cluttered and cause the mods to have to do more work (they have other lives too, you realize, right?).
Old 10-14-2002, 08:20 AM   #10
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

actually, the thread called coffee got my attention...

i think it would make the forum a bit divided and dull maybe- also, if there was a section called "Balrogs" Itd end up being filled with "Do Balrogs Have Wings" discussions and im afraid i would either go insane or murder the owners of those threads.

And they do have wings.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:25 PM   #11
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Amanaduial, that is another thing. I think that I would go insane reading one billion threads about one topic. I think that is one good thing about the "Books" forum. That is, what is good about all of them as they are, come to think of it: there is a grand diversity so you don't get "What was Frodo's middle name?", "Why didn't Frodo marry?", "What is the inner meaning of the existence of Frodo Baggins?", "FRODO: man or myth?", "Why Did Frodo Take The Ring?" (compliments of someone who did not read the books), "Frodo Fans UNITE!", and all of those "great" threads. Wow, if that was really what happened, I think I would help Amanaduial kill some of them...*sighs*

(BTW: happy 1200th post to me!)

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 10-15-2002, 03:11 AM   #12
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Quote:
endless sprawl of 'balrogia'
Ahem, yes, I imagine

BTW, did I mention balrogs not having wings?

Ok, "vox populi vox dei"

Proposal is withdrawn

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 08-30-2005 at 11:04 AM. Reason: sweeping party - updating smilies
Old 10-15-2002, 04:32 AM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

The Coffee thread was fabulous, and heavily influenced a very important RPG.

And whether or not Balrogs have wings, they DO wear eyeliner-- just like Ewan MacGregor. Ask Lush.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-18-2002, 03:39 PM   #14
Grond - Hammer of Hell

Sting

As a relative newbie to this forum, I am perplexed that you do have all the book discussions in one forum. It makes it very cumbersome to search quickly and easily for a particular area of interest. It would be much easier to have the book section broken down by the major works of the author.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:39 PM   #15
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Perhaps simply divided in half: One for LotR and the Hobbit, and one half for things dealing mainly with the Sil.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: Losthuniel ]
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 05:01 PM   #16
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

It's all very well separating it into LOTR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc. but what if you're dealing with an overall theme?

One theme that instantly comes to mind, since for some reason I was thinking about it earlier, was an older thread of Estelyn's (I think) about the power of singing. It involved Luthien (Silmarillion) and Tom Bombadil (LOTR). Where would you put such a topic then?

The problem with categorising a forum like the Books, is that inevitably a topic will fall into more than one category. This would probably make it more confusing for the topic starters, and create more work for the moderators, and overall, achieve little.

Varda
Old 10-19-2002, 10:29 AM   #17
GildorInglorion
Animated Skeleton

GildorInglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have an idea, but I fear it's very complicated to make it happen (don't know a lot about WEB- design)

Every time you find a topic that you find interesting, you can chose something like "Add to Personal favourites"

Then, together with the other forums, Books, movies etc, there is also a forum called "My personal favourites", that is of course different for everyone.

Every time I log in I like to check a few topics that I like, and it's a bit complicated to find them all since there in diferent forums and mixed with othr topics.

Possible? Good?
Old 10-19-2002, 10:32 AM   #18
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

ok mark, now im reeeal confused.

And yes, i know balrogs dont have ewings like you said. They have wings. No e. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 02:23 PM   #19
Grond - Hammer of Hell

Sting

Varda, so you would prefer to have to search every thread in the book section to find a subject to which you might want to post rather than chance having one topic that would cross areas.

That makes no sense to me. Having things broken down (even if some overlap occurs) makes more sense in making things more comfortable... but heh! it was just a thought.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:28 PM   #20
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I like the way it is now, with the most active discussions are on the front page. I think it would take way too much time to find the one you want if you had to go through a few different subforums first.

And during the summer I am forced to utilize very slow computers, so the quicker I can get to what I want, the better.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:13 PM   #21
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

GildorInglorion - there is a way you can do that now, though not in the manner you describe.

To find topics where you've previously posted, click on your 'rate member' (you'll see it to left of any posts).

This will take you to your profile.

Then in the upper right hand corner of your profile you will see 'view recent posts.'

Click that, and voila! you can find those topics you found interesting.

This is all assuming that if you found it interesting, you posted there.

Hope that helps. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-Maril

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 08-06-2004, 01:04 AM   #22
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

HerenIstarion, with two forums in the books: the regular, and Chapter by Chapter, you finally got your wish......sorta

Cheers!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 01:04 PM   #23
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

That must be the effect of my new avatar, I'm sure. It is intended to hypnotize the beholder into doing my bidding

If anyone here had looked onto it for more than a minute... had anyone? Someone had? Had they indeed? They had! You, go bring me some cold beer this instant!

Old 08-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #24
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Old 08-07-2004, 01:56 PM   #25
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

er... thank you...

*mutters under his nose * It is working?

Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM   #26
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Kiss of Life

That is, for this thread. Bringing it up has in view two goals:

1. As the post is titled, I want this thread revived. Following 'suggestion box' idea working well in Chapter-by-Chapter sub-forum, let it incorporate all ideas and suggestions there may come concerning the forum and its well-being as a whole (I know there is special area for this, but sometimes, ‘vox populi’ should be heard as well, surely?)

2. Naturally, I have a suggestion of my own. Why would I remember the thread at all if it were not so?

Let the credit go where it is due, first - I was inspired to think about the issue at all by SpM's Does LoTR have cross-cultural appeal? thread. First sprouts of the current suggestion were voiced by me there (post #34)

Now, the idea grew in thinking, and now may be restated thus:

Wouldn’t it be nice if we were o-o-older, than we would not have to wait so lo-o-ong… Sorry, I meant to say, Wouldn’t it be nice if we had Social Inquiries sub-forum? (as part of BD sub-forum, where all announcements and obituaries go, and were we study each other as well with our Coming of Age clubs and Where are you from? type of threads.

Let me elaborate:

As recent poll-o-mania and other inquiries show, we are curious folk. We want to know things (the very abundance of mentioned ‘where do you…’ threads speaks for itself. Now I would be ‘curiouser’ of all, but it seems a logical next step to have things like ‘what do you believe in’, ‘what family language you speak belongs to’ and ‘what continent were you born on’ inquired upon

Currently active related threads (same Where are you from and now dusty What do you do for a living and others) may be moved into the new sub-forum for completeness’ sake. Otherwise, the new Social Inquiries sub-forum will contain polls mainly - public or private, depending on confidentiality of subjects inquired into.

After some time, quite coherent puzzle-picture of our (meaning by ‘our’ BD, not fandom in general) social cleavage may be assembled.

Now, my main weak spot – so what? What would be the point of such data collection? Nothing special, just curiosity satisfied (hope no cats are harmed in the process). And since it is ‘nothing special’, I now bring the suggestion to your collective judgment, over which, of course, lies the absolute power of administration (whose ways are inscrutable, as every rookie and old-hand likewise knows)

Hence the title of the thread once again justified – to Administration, Proposal

Old 09-09-2005, 12:39 AM   #27
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

What news from the West, Riders of Rohan?

Old 09-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #28
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Wouldn’t it be nice if we had Social Inquiries sub-forum?
the phantom approves of your proposal.

(which I'm sure makes all the difference in the world )