The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #81
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Random remark. Let me voice one concern about this year's cup, just from observing the teams. It seemed to me when I was creating my team, and now again when looking at this year's teams more closely, that this year it's much more "biased" towards certain teams' strength than the last year. As in, it seems to me like there's more "disparity" between the teams than there was last year. But since this is only my second year, maybe it's wrong personal impression.
I think part of that is the groups seem a touch easier to predict this year than last year...in that there is no apparent "Group of death" where 4 very good teams are jammed into 1 and only 2 make it out. And in order to avoid a lot of similar match-ups to last year, some teams needs to be rearranged and displaced.

Like in Group G...if Imladris was in another group (say D, E, or H) I'd give them a good consideration to advance...but stacked up in Group G I really don't see how they can contend with the others. With that said...I mean I'm having difficulty determining the rest of Group G because one of those teams will inevitably be left out.

And even the teams that I don't give serious consideration to qualifying (take The Barrow-Downs or Minas Tirith as examples) are still good enough to give a stellar effort in one single match that steals a point from one of the superior favorites...which can shake up the outcome of the rest of the group.

This isn't even to mention how I've already talked myself in circles to see at least 8 Championship winners this year...and several of them aren't even sure bets to advance to the playoffs. The two safest bets I see to advance are FC Valinor and AC Beleriand...but they also have weaknesses that once in the knock-out round could send them home without the title.

But more of all these confusing possibilities revolving in my head when TTN's groups analysis comes out (likely to come Wednesday and Thursday when I'm off and not having to manage the closing shift).

(Edit...heh crossed with the phantom)
Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #82
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Yeah, in my analysis thingummy I guessed that 11 squads could realistically make the finals. (A third of the field- not too bad...)

And as far as the possibility of being left out in the cold after group play, in my best-case/worst-case post I only judged that four squads were "guaranteed" to make the playoffs, meaning that 28 of the 32 squads could be eliminated without it being huge shock.

Like Boro used for his example- Angband certainly seems too good to be left out of the playoffs, but if you take a good look at their opponents in group you can't guarantee they won't get beat by TIG or Angfauglith, thus despite their quality they can't be put down as a lock.

Anyway... We've just got a handful of days left until writers will be writing the first round of games. Get your picks done as soon as you are able. If you're having trouble finding time just PM me and I can try and streamline things for you or come up with a temporary solution.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #83
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'm agreeing with the phantom here: if I'd have to bet some real money for teams that would qualify I wouldn't make that many bets...

That said there are at least two things that are different in comparison to years before: the budgets and more or less permanent teams. But both those things bring with them further complications.

It's the second year with budgets and the money poured into a team is a meter for the overall performance of a team. But nothing more.

It is hard to see a 60 million team to beat a 100 million team, but as this is a tournament it may well be that an 80 million team kicks out the 100 million team and then the 60 million team throws the 80 million team off in turn - and as a result we have the 60 million team advancing and the 100 million team relegated. That can happen.

With only two friendlies played before the tournament the media understandably has talked about the budgets and the differences between the teams in terms of money they have at their disposal, but it would be a miracle indeed if all the 100 million teams would take all the quarterfinal-spots leaving the rest out. Against that is actually a bet I could think of making...

The permanent teams are a related issue, but also different. Now some teams have barely changed at all while others have gotten over half of their players changed. Yet by carrying the same name and a core of players we easily get the impression they are more consistent than they might be in the end and thusly judge their merits according to the team last year even if it was different or faced very different teams.

The media might be to blame here as well - with a lot of agreement between the main media-houses one might get the feeling everything is packat och klart ("packed and clear", a Swedish idiom) when it most probably isn't.

Thirdly I would like to add that with that many tight groups of which it is hard to say who wins, who qualifies as the runner-up and who is left into the group-phase, the dynamics of the play-offs might take so many different shapes...

Fex. you might have on the "lower" side of the play-off schedule tough defenders like Eriador, The Sea, Angband and Valimar playing against each other, while on the "upper" side tough scorers like Hithlum, AC Beleriand, FC & Real Valinor, Nargothrond, T-I-G, Erebor etc. would fight it out between themselves... and thus you'd have totally different play-offs compared to games where for instance teams like Valimar and The Sea would need to face T-I-G or Hithlum.

And with this the teams most probably have different advantages and disadvantages. Like we saw last year: Real Valinor lost to FC Valinor two times with no uncertain terms but in the end won the whole thing because others did away with FC Valinor. Or this year, Valimar lost to both The Sea and Real Valinor but if they'd meet Angband (or Anfaughlith) at any turn on the tournament it would be hard to see them losing.

So it is still pretty hard, predicting the tournament.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #84
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I think part of that is the groups seem a touch easier to predict this year than last year...in that there is no apparent "Group of death" where 4 very good teams are jammed into 1 and only 2 make it out. And in order to avoid a lot of similar match-ups to last year, some teams needs to be rearranged and displaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
I wonder if part of that is the lack of a "group of death" this year. Since last year there were four very solid playoff teams jammed into Group D (and perhaps it could be argued nearly the same was true of Group E), which meant that all the teams in the other groups were less likely to be outmatched.

That's part of what makes a Death Group attractive- both the drama within that group and the evenness it brings to the rest of the field.

(Thought to be fair, there are only 2 groups this year where I might've felt confident enough to try and put money on the winner. The others would make me too nervous for an actual risk.)
Hum, humm... yes. In a way, though my perspective on the disparity was more like the opposite: it isn't clear to say which team will win (actually, I think it felt often clearer last year to say: "okay, now of group X, it will be *this* team!" and then you felt unsure as to who the runner-up would be), this year, I feel it more like "okay, it is clear this and this team are not going to win!"

Of course, as it had been said, nothing is set, but I just have a different feeling than last year, that's all.

Anyway, as for some other matter...

ANSWERS TO 5-POINT QUESTIONS

Who will score the most goals in the tournament?
Witch-King (Arnor)

Who will have the most assists in the tournament?
Eöl (AC Bel)

Which team will win the tournament?
Eriador

Which goalkeeper will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?
Elrond (Eriador)

Which defender will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?
Balrog #5 (Hithlum)

Which midfielder will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?
Elros (Armenelos)

Which forward will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament?
Fëanor (AC Bel)

Now all that remains for me should be the Hundred Million Dollar Baby...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #85
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Noggportunistics

GK – Hyermendacil (The Sea)
DF – Borlach (Anfaughlith)
DF – Arwen (Eriador)
DF – Lúthien (Inter Beleriand)
DF - * Caranthir (Tirion)
MF – Aegnor (AC Beleriand)
MF - * Yavanna (FC Valinor)
MF – Gwindor (Nargothrond)
MF - * Glorfindel (Eriador)
FW – Thuringwethil (T-I-G)
FW - * Miriel (Real Valinor) (C)

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-27-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #86
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril $100 million squad

Let the records show that I hate the phantom.

Whenever I had a team that had me nodding, 'Hm, this could work, this'll give me a second straight imaginary award worth far less than another more acknowledged imaginary trophy,' it turns out to be 1 freaking million too expensive.

Why, phantom, why? Did I accidentally run over your dog? Did I say mean things about your favourite sports team? Did I spoil the story of a film you're about to watch? Tell me, what did I do to deserve this???

So, yeah, this is the best I could for now. Might end up tweaking it just before the tourney starts, but I have some degree of trust towards this squad (but not as much as I did towards those that end up costing $101 million).

Atashi no Negai XI - 100
GK *Huan (FC Valinor) - 15
DF Amarië (Valimar) - 4
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) - 4
DF Imlach (AC Beleriand) - 4
DF GaladriWight (Tol-in-Gaurhoth) - 3
MF NerWight (Tol-in-Gaurhoth) - 5
MF Aegnor (AC Beleriand) - 10
MF *Glorfindel (Eriador) - 13
FW *Míriel (Real Valinor) - 14
FW Oromë (Real Valinor) - 14
FW *Curufin (FC Valinor) - 14

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 07-07-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Nandemo nai.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #87
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Lynch Mob

GAME 1 TEAM
GK: Hyarmendacil (The Sea)
DF: Maglor (FC Valinor)
DF: Aragorn (Eriador)
DF: Balrog #2 (Angfauglith)
DF: Vana (Valimar)
MF: Ingwe (Valimar)
MF: *Yavanna (FC Valinor)
MF: Arveleg (Eriador)
FW: *Curufin (FC Valinor)
FW: *Miriel (Real Valinor)
FW: *Arien (Valimar)

PREDICTIONS
Who will score the most goals in the tournament? CURUFIN

Who will have the most assists in the tournament? YAVANNA

Which team will win the tournament? FC VALINOR

Which goalkeeper will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? HUAN

Which defender will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? EONWE

Which midfielder will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? YAVANNA

Which forward will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? CURUFIN

GROUP A
1. Valimar
2. Armenelos

GROUP B
1. AC Beleriand
2. Inter Beleriand

GROUP C
1. Hithlum
2. Real Valinor

GROUP D
1. FC Valinor
2. Barad-Dur

GROUP E
1. Eriador
2. Erebor

GROUP F
1. The Sea
2. Nargothrond

GROUP G
1. Tol-In-Gaurhoth
2. Angfauglith

GROUP H
1. Rohan
2. Arnor

$100 MILLION TEAM
GK: *Huan (FC Valinor) (15)
DF: Ulwarth (Angband) (4)
DF: Asfaloth (Eriador) (4)
DF: Ingwion (Real Valinor) (5)

MF: Nerwight (Tol In Gaurhoth) (5)

MF: Ingwe (Valimar) (11)

MF: Oikeroi (Angband) (5)
MF: Arveleg (Eriador) (8)

FW: *Miriel (Real Valinor) (15)

FW: *Arien (Valimar) (15)

FW: *Curufin (FC Valinor) (14)

Last edited by Gwathagor; 07-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #88
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
100, 000, 000 Unnamed Horrors
GK *Shastawolf (TIG) - 10
DF Rochallor (AC Bel) - 4
DF Osse (The Sea) - 9
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) - 4
DF Aegnor (AC Bel) - 10
MF Nerwight (TIG) - 5
MF Nessa (Real) - 10
MF Arveleg (Eriador) - 8
FW Hurin (Hithlum) - 14
FW *Curufin (FC Val) - 14
FW Nerdanel (Real) - 12

=100
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #89
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
"He Says Million"

GK Elrond (Eriador) 20

DF Balrog #5 (Hithlum) 13
DF Mauhúr (Isengard) 3
DF Radagast (Wilderland) 11
DF Estë (Valimar) 8

MF Elros (Armenelos) 12
MF Eldalotë (Tirion) 2
MF Hunthor (Inter Bel) 2
MF Tar-Aldarion (Sea) 8

FW Witch-King (Arnor) 13
FW Bard (Erebor) 8

Double-check my maths, if you be so kind, as I am very much prone to mistakes at it, but I think it should be 100 altogether.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #90
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I also got 100, I think it' correct.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #91
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
5 POINT QUESTIONS

Who will score the most goals in the tournament? Turin

Who will have the most assists in the tournament? Nerdanel

Which team will win the tournament? FC Valinor

Which goalkeeper will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Huan

Which defender will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Fingolfin

Which midfielder will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Glorfindel

Which forward will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Feanor

GROUP PREDICTIONS

A: Armenelos, Valimar
B: AC Beleriand, Gondolin
C: Hithlum, Real Valinor
D: FC Valinor, Barad-dur
E: Eriador, Misty Mts
F: The Sea, Nargothrond
G: Angband, Tol-in-Gaurhoth
H: Arnor, Mordor

Last edited by Boromir88; 06-30-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #92
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Round 1 team...

We Didn't Start the Fire

GK- *Elrond (Eriador)
DF- Maglor (FC Valinor)
DF- Balrog #2 (Angfauglith)
DF- Luthien (Inter Bel)
DF- *Namo (Valimar)
MF- Beruthiel (Barad-Dur)
MF- Tar Ancalimon (Armenelos)
MF- Boromir II (Anduin)
MF- *Eomer (Minas Tirith)
FW- Hurin (Hithlum)
FW- *Miriel (Real Valinor) - C

100 million squad...

It was Always Burning

GK- Silent Watcher (Mordor) 1
DF- GaladriWight (TIG) 3
DF- Rochallor (AC Beleriand) 4
DF- Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF- Umuiyan (Angband) 5
MF- Argon (FC Valinor) 7
MF- Tar Aldarion (The Sea) 8
MF- Beleg (Hithlum) 13
FW- Curufin (FC Valinor) 14
FW- Turin (Hithlum) 20
FW- Feanor (AC Beleriand) 21
Old 07-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #93
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

The first round of games will be ready to go in a couple days, but we can hold off for a couple extra days for anyone that hasn't made picks yet.

Also, feel free to try and rope in new players- offer to help them make picks if they don't think they can get them done in time. More players means a lower percentage chance of finishing in last place after all.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #94
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Cupkicks, Round One: Fight!
GK: *Huan (FC Val)
DF: Balrog #4 (AC Bel)
DF: BoroWolf (TiG)
DF: *Morgoth (Angband)
MF: NogWight (Eriador)
MF: Daeron (Doriath)
MF: NerWight (TiG)
FW: *Curufin (FC Val)
FW: *Smaug (Erebor) (C)
FW: Thuringwethil (TiG)

PREDICTIONS
Who will score the most goals in the tournament? Feanor

Who will have the most assists in the tournament? PhantomWolf

Which team will win the tournament? FC Valinor

Which goalkeeper will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Huan

Which defender will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Morgoth

Which midfielder will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Glorfindel

Which forward will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Feanor

GROUP A
1. Valimar
2. The Havens

GROUP B
1. AC Bel
2. Inter Bel

GROUP C
1. Real Val
2. Doriath

GROUP D
1. FC Val
2. Barad-Dur

GROUP E
1. Erebor
2. Eriador

GROUP F
1. Tirion
2. Minas Tirith

GROUP G
1. TiG
2. Imladris

GROUP H
1. Rohan
2. Anduin

100 calorie....I mean million team
GK: *ShastaWolf (TiG) (10)
DF: Irime (Tirion) (3)
DF: Elwing (Doriath) (6)
DF: Aragorn (Eriador) (10) 

MF: Nerwight (TiG) (5)
MF: Denethor (AC Bel) (3)
MF: Ilmare (Valimar) (8)
MF: Nessa (Real Val) (10)
FW: Celegorm (FC Val) (11)
FW: Finwe (Tirion) (13)
FW: **Feanor (AC Bel) (21)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #95
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Okay, finally gonna sit down and do this!

Wilwa's Winners
GK: Marach (ACBel)
DF: Celeborn (Anduin)
DF: Uinen (Sea)
DF: BoroWolf (TiG)
DF: *Morgoth (Angband)
MF: Cirdan (Havens)
MF: Idril (Gondolin)
FW: *Miriel (Real Valinor) C
FW: *Smaug (Erebor)
FW: Ar Pharazon (Armenelos)

PREDICTIONS
Who will score the most goals in the tournament? Turin

Who will have the most assists in the tournament? Yavanna

Which team will win the tournament? Tol-In-Gaurhoth

Which goalkeeper will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Elrond

Which defender will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Fingolfin

Which midfielder will score the most total phantasy points in the tournament? Nessa

GROUP A
1. Armenelos
2. The Havens

GROUP B
1. Gondolin
2. Inter Beleriand

GROUP C
1. Hithlum
2. Real Valinor

GROUP D
1. Gondor
2. Barad-Dur

GROUP E
1. Misty Mountains
2. Eriador

GROUP F
1. Tirion
2. The Sea

GROUP G
1. Tol-In-Gaurhoth
2. Angfauglith

GROUP H
1. Mordor
2. Anduin
Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #96
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay- this should be an accurate and complete list of 100 Million Dollar squads.
Nerwen- you have an extra midfielder (12 total players), so you can just tell me to trash one, or you can take advantage of the extra cash it gives you and change a player or two.
Gwath- I'm fairly certain your team adds up to 101. If you could double-check it and make adjustments if necessary.

Inzil 100
GK Carcaroth (Angband) 9
DF Melian (Doriath) 14
DF Landroval (Erebor) 8
DF Treebeard (Isengard) 10
MF NerWight (TIG) 5
MF Dain (Erebor) 5
MF Azog (Misty Mtns) 8
MF Elwe (Doriath) 13
FW Tuor (Gondolin) 10
FW Shelob (Mordor) 10
FW Helm (Rohan) 8

Dream "stink" Team 100
GK Halbarad (SB Unt)5
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF Amarie (Valimar) 4
DF Nahar (Real Val) 5
MF Hunthor (Inter Bel) 2
MF Tar Aldarion (Sea) 8
MF Yavanna (FC Val) 10
MF Glorfindel (Eriador) 13
FW Turin (Hithlum) 20
FW Feanor (AC Bel) 21
FW Bombadil (BDowns) 8

The Mooncrazed Millionaires 100
GK ShastaWolf (Tol-In-Gaurhoth) 10
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF BoroWolf (Tol-In-Gaurhoth) 8
DF Rochallor (AC Beleriand) 4
MF Aegnor (AC Beleriand) 10
MF Enerdhil (Real Valinor) 4
MF Beleg (Hithlum) 13
MF Yavanna (FC Valinor) 10
FW Telvildo (Angband) 9
FW Hurin (Hithlum) 14
FW Curufin (FC Valinor) 14

Victory At A Price II 96
GK Huan (FC Valinor) 15
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF Borlach (Angfauglith) 3
DF Draugluin (T-I-G) 8
MF Findis (FC Val) 4
MF Arveleg (Eriador) 8
MF Tar Miriel (Armenelos) 7
MF Nessa (Real Valinor) 10
FW Inzilwolf (T-I-G) 10
FW Ar Pharazon (Armenelos) 12
FW Eol (AC Bel) 15

Nogrod 100
GK Hyermendacil (The Sea) 8
DF GaladriWight (T-I-G) 3
DF Indis (FC Valinor) 7
DF Tilion (Real Valinor) 12
MF Arveleg (Eriador) 8
MF PhantomWolf (T-I-G) 10
FW Celegorm (FC Valinor) 11
FW Miriel (Real Valinor) 14

Atashi no Negai XI 100
GK Huan (FC Valinor) 15
DF Amarië (Valimar) 4
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF Imlach (AC Beleriand) 4
DF GaladriWight (Tol-in-Gaurhoth) 3
MF NerWight (Tol-in-Gaurhoth) 5
FW Míriel (Real Valinor) 14
FW Oromë (Real Valinor) 14

Gwath 100
GK Huan (FC Valinor) 15
DF Ulwarth (Angband) 4
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF Ingwion (Real Valinor) 5
MF Nerwight (Tol In Gaurhoth) 5

MF Ingwe (Valimar) 11

MF Oikeroi (Angband) 5
MF Arveleg (Eriador) 8

FW Miriel (Real Valinor) 14

FW Arien (Valimar) 15

100, 000, 000 Unnamed Horrors 100
GK Shastawolf (TIG) 10
DF Rochallor (AC Bel) 4
DF Osse (The Sea) 9
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF Aegnor (AC Bel) 10
MF Nerwight (TIG) 5
MF Nessa (Real) 10
MF Arveleg (Eriador) 8
FW Hurin (Hithlum) 14
FW Curufin (FC Val) 14
FW Nerdanel (Real) 12

It was Always Burning 100
GK Silent Watcher (Mordor) 1
DF GaladriWight (TIG) 3
DF Asfaloth (Eriador) 4
DF Umuiyan (Angband) 5
MF Argon (FC Valinor) 7
MF Tar Aldarion (The Sea) 8
MF Beleg (Hithlum) 13
FW Turin (Hithlum) 20
FW Feanor (AC Beleriand) 21

100 calorie....I mean million team 100
GK ShastaWolf (TiG) 10
DF Irime (Tirion) 3
DF Elwing (Doriath) 6
DF Aragorn (Eriador) 10 

MF Nerwight (TiG) 5
MF Denethor (AC Bel) 3
MF Ilmare (Valimar) 8
MF Nessa (Real Val) 10
FW Celegorm (FC Val) 11
FW Finwe (Tirion) 13
FW Feanor (AC Bel) 21

Wilwa 46
GK Silent Watcher (Mordor) 1
DF Galathil (Doriath) 2
DF Arroch (Hithlum) 2
DF Baragund (Inter Bel) 3
MF Bor (Angfauglith) 3
MF Arahael (Imladris) 5
MF Arantar (Arnor) 5
MF Beruthiel (Barad-Dur) 5
FW Saucepan Man (BDowns) 6
FW Araphor (Arnor) 7
FW Boromir 1 (MTirith) 7

He Says Million 100
GK Elrond (Eriador) 20
DF Balrog #5 (Hithlum) 13
DF Mauhúr (Isengard) 3
DF Radagast (Wilderland) 11
DF Estë (Valimar) 8
MF Elros (Armenelos) 12
MF Eldalotë (Tirion) 2
MF Hunthor (Inter Bel) 2
MF Tar-Aldarion (Sea) 8
FW Witch-King (Arnor) 13
FW Bard (Erebor) 8

Last edited by the phantom; 07-08-2013 at 04:12 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #97
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand

Quote:
Gwath- I'm fairly certain your team adds up to 101. If you could double-check it and make adjustments if necessary.
He got the price for Míriel wrong. It's only 14 million.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #98
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All righty- Gwath's has been changed.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #99
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
How in Middle-earth did I do that?

Well, just ditch Denethor, if you please, phantom.. I don't think there's time for anything else.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #100
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Aye aye. Denethor is gone.

And I do believe we're ready to roll.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #101
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
All righty- Gwath's has been changed.
Thanks.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #102
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Aww, crap, I forgot that I'm leaving for a fortnight this summer again! Go bugger. If anyone wants to take over my team for the next two weeks starting Sunday feel free, and if not let's hope not all my players would be out by the time I get to making changes to my team...
Old 07-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #103
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Don't worry Galadriel- all the results for this round will be out in a timely fashion, so you'll get a chance to set your squad up for round two, and then I'll send you the matchups in the third round so you can have an idea of which players you want for that round, and you can designate some rules, e.g. "give me player X for round 3 unless their team loses in round 2" etc. And then for any final toss-up decisions or whatever then certainly someone will probably be willing to help you out.

I say "probably" because it's possible they'd want to sabotage you if you're looking like a threat.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #104
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

DANG IT! I forgot to make Curufin my captain. What's the protocol here, phantom? Pick a player whose team hasn't played yet? Or does one get picked by default, or...?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 AM   #105
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Ah, I didn't realize you hadn't named a captain... Yes, for this round, go ahead and choose a captain that is not from Group A or Group D.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #106
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Miriel = captain.

GK: Hyarmendacil (The Sea)
DF: Maglor (FC Valinor)
DF: Balrog #2 (Angfauglith)
DF: Vana (Valimar)
MF: Ingwe (Valimar)
MF: Arveleg (Eriador)
FW: *Curufin (FC Valinor)
FW: *Miriel (Real Valinor) C
FW: *Arien (Valimar)
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #107
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

As we so often do, we’ll begin by showing how many points there were to be gained with the perfect alignment.

The Perfect Team
GK Turgon (Inter Bel)- 6
DF Maglor (FC Val)- 7
DF Barahir (Nargothrond)- 7
DF *NilpWolf (T-I-G)- 10
DF *Fram (Anduin)- 10
MF Irmo (Valimar)- 8
MF Ingwe (Valimar)- 6
MF Nazgul#2 (Mordor)- 6
MF Haldir (Anduin)- 7
FW *Curufin (FC Val) C- 11
FW *Scatha (Wilderland)- 8
TOTAL = 97

And here is how everyone fared. Let me know if there’s a mistake on any of these.

Lynch Mob
GK Hyarmendacil (The Sea)- 4
DF Maglor (FC Valinor)- 7
DF Aragorn (Eriador)- 5
DF Balrog #2 (Angfauglith)- 4
DF Vana (Valimar)- 4
MF Ingwe (Valimar)- 6
MF *Yavanna (FC Valinor)- 6
MF Arveleg (Eriador)- 3
FW *Curufin (FC Valinor)- 11
FW *Miriel (Real Valinor) C- 4
FW *Arien (Valimar)- 0
TOTAL = 58

Atashi no Negai
GK *Elrond (Eriador)- 4
DF Aragorn (Eriador)- 5
DF Vana (Valimar)- 4
DF Indis (FC Valinor)- 4
MF Tar-Míriel (Armenelos)- -1
MF Ingwë (Valimar)- 6
MF *Glorfindel (Eriador)- 5
FW Finrod (Nargothrond)- 4
FW *Curufin (FC Valinor) C- 11
FW *Arien (Valimar)- 0
TOTAL = 60

We Didn't Start the Fire
GK *Elrond (Eriador)- 4
DF Balrog #2 (Angfauglith)- 4
DF Luthien (Inter Bel)- 4
DF *Namo (Valimar)- 4
MF Beruthiel (Barad-Dur)- 0
MF Tar Ancalimon (Armenelos)- 3
MF Boromir II (Anduin)- 1
MF *Eomer (Minas Tirith)- 0
FW Hurin (Hithlum)- 4
TOTAL = 39

The Mooncrazed Remixed
GK *Huan (FC Valinor)- 4
DF Balrog #5 (Hithlum)- -1
DF Aragorn (Eriador)- 5
DF Balrog #4 (AC Beleriand)- 2
MF *Beleg (Hithlum)- 0
MF Hador (Hithlum)- 3
MF Arveleg (Eriador)- 3
MF Aegnor (AC Beleriand)- 0
MF NerWight (Tol-In-Gaurhoth)- 1
FW *Curufin (FC Valinor) C- 11
TOTAL = 45

Noggportunistics
GK Hyermendacil (The Sea)- 4
DF Borlach (Anfauglith)- 4
DF Arwen (Eriador)- 2
DF Lúthien (Inter Beleriand)- 4
DF *Caranthir (Tirion)- 2
MF *Glorfindel (Eriador)- 5
FW Gwindor (Nargothrond)- 3
FW Thuringwethil (T-I-G)- 3
TOTAL = 41

Cupkicks
GK *Huan (FC Val)- 4
DF Balrog #4 (AC Bel)- 2
DF Aragorn (Eriador)- 5
DF BoroWolf (TiG)- 3
DF *Morgoth (Angband)- 0
MF NogWight (Eriador)- 5
MF Daeron (Doriath)- 0
MF NerWight (TiG)- 1
FW *Curufin (FC Val)- 11
FW *Smaug (Erebor) C- 7
FW Thuringwethil (TiG)- 3
TOTAL = 48

Eleven Pillars of Wisdom
GK *ShastaWolf (T-I-G)- 6
DF Thorin (Erebor)- 0
DF Amras (Tirion)- 1
DF Luthien (Inter Beleriand)- 4
DF *Fingolfin (AC Beleriand)- 2
MF Morwen (Hithlum)- 0
MF Nessa (Real Valinor)- 5
MF *Beren (Inter Beleriand)- 4
FW Thuringwethil (T-I-G) C- 3
FW *Curufin (FC Valinor)- 11
TOTAL = 39

Unnamed Horror
GK *Elrond (Eriador)- 4
DF Celeborn (Anduin)- 4
DF *Melian (Doriath)- 2
DF Osse (The Sea)- 2
DF Borowolf (TIG)- 3
MF Nienor (Nargothrond)- 1
MF Nerwight (TIG)- 1
MF *Beren (Inter Beleriand) C- 4
FW Celegorm (FC Val)- 0
FW *Curufin (FC Val)- 11
FW Ar Pharazon (Armenelos)- 4
TOTAL = 40

Salt and Smoke
GK Tar-Atanamir (Armenelos)- 4
DF Uinen (The Sea)- 2
DF GaladriWight (TIG)- 4
DF Radagast (Wilderland)- 0
DF *Varda (Imladris)- 2
MF Tar-Míriel (Armenelos)- -1
MF NogWight (Eriador)- 5
MF *Saruman (Isengard)- 0
FW Khamul (SBUnt)- -1
FW *Scatha (Wilderland)- 8
FW *Arien (Valimar) C- 0
TOTAL = 23

FC Monkey Stink
GK Galadriel (Dwarves United)- 2
DF Nienna (Real Valinor)- 1
DF Balrog#5 (Hithlum)- -1
DF Arwen (Eriador)- 2
DF Alatar (Barad-Dur)- 1
MF *Elwe (Doriath)- 5
MF *Glorfindel (Eriador) C- 5
MF Cirdan (The Havens)- 0
FW *Arien (Valinor)- 0
FW *Miriel (Real Valinor)- 4
TOTAL = 24

Wilwa's Winners
GK Marach (ACBel)- 4
DF Celeborn (Anduin)- 4
DF Uinen (Sea)- 2
DF BoroWolf (TiG)- 3
DF *Morgoth (Angband)- 0
MF Cirdan (Havens)- 0
MF Idril (Gondolin)- 0
FW *Smaug (Erebor)- 7
FW Ar Pharazon (Armenelos)- 4
TOTAL = 38

The Uncloakables
GK *Ungoliant (Angfauglith)- 6
DF *Morgoth (Angband)- 0
DF BoroWolf (TIG)- 3
DF Aragorn (Eriador)- 5
DF Luthien (Inter Beleriand)- 4
MF *Elwe (Doriath) C- 5
MF Hador (Hithlum)- 3
MF Nazgul #5 (Isengard)- 0
FW *Gothmog (Angfauglith)- 3
FW Legolas (Dwarves United)- 0
FW Elladan (Imladris)- 0
TOTAL = 34

Point Standings
Atashi no Negai- 60
Lynch Mob- 58
Cupkicks- 48
Mooncrazed Remixed- 45
Noggportunistics- 41
Unnamed Horror- 40
Elven Pillars of Wisdom- 39
We Didn’t Start the Fire- 39
Wilwa’s Winners- 38
The Uncloakables- 34
FC Monkey Stink- 24
Salt and Smoke- 23

You have unlimited trades before the next round of games. The star limit is still four. Here is the schedule for round 2-

-----
The Havens vs The Barrow-Downs
Armenelos vs Valimar
-----
AC Bel vs Inter Bel
DwarvesU vs Gondolin
-----
Hithlum vs SBUnited
Doriath vs Real Val
-----
Barad-Dur vs Isengard
Gondor vs FC Val
-----
MistyMts vs Wilderland
Erebor vs Eriador
-----
MTirith vs Tirion
Nargothrond vs The Sea
-----
Imladris vs T-I-G
Angband vs Angfauglith
-----
Arnor vs Mordor
Anduin vs Rohan
-----

Last edited by the phantom; 07-14-2013 at 11:46 AM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #108
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A double, almost twenty-point lead already on the first round!

Congrats!

Well, Curufin's captaincy = 22 points...
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #109
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Off to my usual start, I see.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #110
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Silmaril Hmmm.

Gwath should've been in the lead (only by five pts, but still.)

And Nog, it's not like you didn't overturn a 20+ pt lead last time we did this.

ArdaCup.com Stats Report to be up in twelve hrs (bad connexion = can't upload images), but at least I can get this up:

Atashi no Negai NEXT
GK *ShastaWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
DF Nahar (Real Valinor)
DF Ingwion (Real Valinor)
DF Amras (Tirion)
DF BoroWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
MF Tar-Míriel (Armenelos)
MF Nazgûl #3 (Wilderland)
MF NerWight (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
FW Finrod (Nargothrond)
FW *Curufin (FC Valinor)
FW **Túrin (Hithlum) (C)
Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #111
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

My, my. I saw from the beginning that this round was going exceptionally badly. I wonder if my "pick whomever I like, because I have no idea how this works anyway" newbie attitude last year wasn't better than this wannabe-rationalistic approach. Still, I think I can be grateful for something. Not probably going to change anybody yet, except for the captaincy:

Salt and Smoke
-> Scatha (Wilderland) (C) is my new captain.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #112
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Okay, I made the couple of corrections Nilp pointed out (Galadriel & Hurin points) so hopefully everything is good now. I've also posted a Phantasy Strategy column on the main thread, and no doubt some of the other writers will be making predictions and recommendations for this round soon, so if you're looking for tips keep your eyes open for those.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #113
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
A Few Changes

--MF Nazgul # 5 (Isengard)
--FW Elladan (Imladris)

++MF Argon (FC Valinor)
++FW Ar Pharazon (Armenelos)

GK- *Ungoliant (Angband)
DF *Morgoth (Angband)
DF BoroWolf (TIG)
DF Aragorn (Eriador) (C)
DF Luthien (Inter Beleriand)
MF *Elwe (Doriath)
MF Hador (Hithlum)
MF Argon (FC Valinor)
FW *Gothmog (Angfauglith)
FW Legolas (Dwarves United)
FW Ar Pharazon (Armenelos)

Captaincy change to Aragorn.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #114
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Silmaril Oops.

Just one change:

--MF NerWight (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
++MF Argon (FC Valinor)

Atashi no Negai NEXT
GK *ShastaWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
DF Nahar (Real Valinor)
DF Ingwion (Real Valinor)
DF Amras (Tirion)
DF BoroWolf (Tol-in-Gaurhoth)
MF Tar-Míriel (Armenelos)
MF Nazgûl #3 (Wilderland)
MF Argon (FC Valinor)
FW Finrod (Nargothrond)
FW *Curufin (FC Valinor)
FW **Túrin (Hithlum) (C)
Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #115
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Eleven Pillars of Wisdom

GK *Shastawolf (T-I-G)
DF Amras (Tirion)
DF Borowolf (T-I-G)
DF Maglor (FC Val)
DF *Fingolfin (AC Bel)
MF Aegnor (AC Bel)
MF Morwen (Hithlum)
MF Nessa (Real Val)
MF *Glorfindel (Eriador)
FW Thuringwethil (T-I-G)
FW *Curufin (FC Val) C

--*Beren
--Luthien
--Thorin

++Maglor
++Borowolf
++ *Glorfindel
Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #116
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Time to reload the entire team

We Didn't Start the Fire
GK *Elrond (Eriador)
DF Maglor (FC Valinor)
DF Balrog #2 (Angfauglith)
DF Luthien (Inter Bel)
DF *Namo (Valimar)
MF Beruthiel (Barad-Dur)
MF Tar Ancalimon (Armenelos)
MF Boromir II (Anduin)
MF *Eomer (Minas Tirith)
FW Hurin (Hithlum)
FW *Miriel (Real Valinor)

-------------

--DF Maglor
--DF Balrog #2
--DF Luthien
--DF *Namo
++DF BoroWolf
++DF Celeborn
++DF *Eonwe
++DF *Morgoth

--MF Beruthiel
--MF Tar Ancalimon
--MF *Eomer
++MF Azog
++MF Cirdan

--FW Hurin
--FW *Miriel
++FW Tar Minastir
++FW Finwe
++FW *Sauron

---------

Round 2 - Only keeping 2 holdovers and Elrond becomes captain. Since I didn't do so well picking mid-fielders I'm taking as few as allowed.

We Didn't Start The Fire
GK- *Elrond (Eriador) - C
DF- BoroWolf (TIG)
DF- Celeborn (Anduin)
DF- *Eonwe (FC Valinor)
DF- *Morgoth (Angband)
MF- Boromir II (Anduin)
MF- Azog (Misty Mts)
MF- Cirdan (The Havens)
FW- Tar Minastir (The Sea)
FW- Finwe (Tirion)
FW- *Sauron (Barad-Dur)
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #117
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Noggportunistics

GK – Hyermendacil (The Sea)
DF – Borlach (Anfaughlith)
DF – Arwen (Eriador)
DF – Lúthien (Inter Beleriand)
DF - * Caranthir (Tirion)
MF – Aegnor (AC Beleriand)
MF - * Yavanna (FC Valinor)
MF – Gwindor (Nargothrond)
MF - * Glorfindel (Eriador)
FW – Thuringwethil (T-I-G)
FW - * Miriel (Real Valinor) (C)
So some changes indeed... and some I hate to do.

Off goes for the next round: Hyermendacil, Borlach, Arwen, Lúthien (*sigh*), Caranthir, Aegnor, Gwindor (drat!), Glorfindel (bleurgh!) and Thuringwethil (she'll be golden on this round but I just can't let go of Miriel in principle)...

That means only two of my original players remain: Miriel (my captain, o my captain!) and Yavanna (italicized). On a positive note it's starts to look more like my team from years gone by. Let's see if I can marry opportunism with principles - it would be the first time in history I presume.

The best of luck to everyone!

Noggportunistics

GK * ShastaWolf (T-I-G)

DF Thorondor (FC Valinor)
DF Amras (Tirion)
DF Alatar (Barad-Dûr)
DF *Tilion (Real Valinor)

MF NerWight (T-I-G)
MF Hador (Hithlum)
MF *Yavanna (FC Valinor)

FW Aredhel (Tirion)
FW Thranduil (Wilderland)
FW *Miriel (Real Valinor) C
Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #118
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

White-Hand

Quote:
Let's see if I can marry opportunism with principles
But Nog, I've been doing that for years--I kept Finrod and Tar-Míriel in my squad so long as their team's still qualified.

... Oh, you mean the whole eleven?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #119
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

This is Galadriel's team per her PM instructions before the last round ended.

Unnamed Horror
GK *Elrond (Eriador)
DF Celeborn (Anduin)
DF BoroWolf (TIG)
DF Draugluin (TIG)
DF *Morgoth (Angband)
MF *Beren (InterBel)
MF NerWight (TIG)
MF Nienor (Nargothrond)
FW *Curufin (FC Val) C
FW Ar Pharazon (Armenelos)
FW Nerdanel (Real)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #120
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Rushed for time, but I promise, I'll get my trades in as soon as I can.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote