The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
WW XXXIII - Other Minds and Hands

It's the year 2020, and the slightly more mature ghouls of the Downs have come together with a noble purpose; to remake The Lord of The Rings as it should have been. Tom Bombadil and the Barrowdowns will recieve a full hour of screen time; the Scouring of the Shire another. There will be no lemming hyenas or psychadelic Galadriels; Gimli will remain deadly serious at all times, and Orlando Bloom...well, he's playing an elderly man of Rohan who is simultaneously impaled, beheaded and incinerated in the battle of Helm's deep.
Needless to say, this 30 hour epic will not be cheap to film; but we're in luck; the resourceful Volo has discovered a studio which is offering a 98% discount in the wake of certain...interesting events...which occurred during the filming of "An American Werewolf in Hamburg" last year.
We, being (for the most part) not superstitious, and (for the other part) trusting in the benevolent spirit of Professor Tolkien to protect us, have booked said studio and are scheduled to commence filming on May 14th.

The day before filming was to begin, the Downers arrived, one by one or two by two, from their various corners of the globe, and deposited suitcases and duffel bags and walking-sticks and umbrellas in their respective trailers. These latter left something to be desired; most had leaky roofs, no hot water, and infestations of ants and tiny little spiders.
"Oh yeah, this isn't a fire hazard!" remarked Durelin, exploring her trailer with a roll of the eyes.
Volo, getting into character, grabbed one of the spiders with a lighting quick gesture and devoured it greedily... and then proceeded to make extremely realistic hacking and gagging noises.
Sauce whipped up a tasty, if simple, meal for the hungry cast and crew, and Rikae produced several bottles of "Old Winyards" to kick off the filming properly. Soon everyone was in a jovial mood indeed. The Downers laughed and debated and reminisced for hours, and the crowd broke into smaller groups, which roamed about the studio complex at random.
Two downers staggered into the darkened room where old costumes were stored. "Where's the light switch?" one wondered. "Maybe behind these clothes...hmm...they've got a lot of fur coats in here..."
Suddenly, there was a snarl and a shriek. The second downer doubled over in pain, foaming at the mouth.
The florescent lights suddenly blinked into flickering life, and the first Downer was met by the sight of a friend curled up on the floor and a slavering hyena-like creature standing over the victim. Adreneline pumping, the Downer grabbed a sword which hung on the wall and, with ...several, messy, bloody strokes...hewed off the beast's head.
But the friend was no longer recognisable, and the hero recieved a bite for the trouble.
Two others were walking down the hall at that moment and paused by the door at the sound of a scream inside. They turned to one another with knowing smiles...
and the door burst open. Soon, two more Downers were transformed, and the pack was complete.

Night One has begun. Wolves begin your fiendish plotting. Others, hold your horses.

The Cast and Crew

Rikae (mod) - CG Animator
Volo - Gollum
Legate of Amon Lanc - Sound Master/Saruman
Macalaure - The 7th orc in the 3rd row
Boromir88- Sir Boromir, playing Denethor
Mithalwen- Galadriel
Shastanis Althreduin - Legolas' stunt double
Durelin - Special Effects Pyrotechnician
The Saucepan Man- Set Catering Manager
Xyzzy - Young Fanboy
Brinniel- Wacky Foley Artist
Thinlómien- Non-Winged Balrog
The Sixth Wizard- Protester against Dwarven Comic Relief
Anguirel- Celeborn
Kath - Make-up Artist
Gil-Galad - Zombie-Gil-Galad
Aganzir - Smeagol
Rune -Tolkien geek who is estatic about being an Elf extra
Diamond18 - Lady in charge of Wigs and all other False Hairpieces

Last edited by Rikae; 05-13-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
It was well past midnight, and the Downers had all long since retired to their trailers after a hard day's work. Only the CG animator remained, hunched over her precious computer in the darked studio. When she heard footsteps behind her, she replied without even moving her eyes from the screen.

“Ah, yes, I'm coming to bed soon – just let me show you these ghosts, rendered and lit. There! How do you like that? So much for green termites!”

She whirled her office chair and burst into laughter.

“Hahahaha! Nice costume! Mac, is that you? Volo??....hey, what's that in your hand....?”
The beast replied: “This is called lye.”
“Heehee...”
“And this is called chemical burn....”

The sky turns from black to gray.
Birds begin to sing.
Yawning Downers stumble into the studio, clutching mugs of coffee or tea.

“What's that smell?” asked Aganzir, wrinkling her nose.
“It smells like something burned!” remarked Boromir, looking accusingly at SPM.
Sauce retorted: “I didn't burn anything!...Hey...it's coming from in here...”
The Downers filed into Rikae's office and stared in confusion.

The CG animator's work space had never been a paragon of tidiness...but this was truly bizarre.
The ubiquitous empty Pepsi bottle beside her computer was now filled with a thick, greasy substance, and ashes were heaped on the chair and scattered across the floor.

SPM picked up the bottle and examined it.
“It's fat!” He exclaimed, proud of his detective skills.
Lommy, already in her Balrog costume, was examining the ashes on the chair. Suddenly, she let out a strangled gasp. Everyone turned toward her.
The actress plucked something out of the cinders with her false claws and held it up in silence. Her face was white and her hands shaking. The object sparkled in the light from the monitor.
It was one of Rikae's leaf-shaped earrings.

SPM dropped the bottle in revulsion, and it exploded with a liquid *pop*, splashing its contents around the room.

Macalaure burst into tears.

Brinniel wished she'd recorded the sound of the exploding bottle.

The Balrog put her arm around the Orc to comfort him.

“At least she finally lost that pesky last ten pounds!”

Boromir mused “I wonder what it's really like to be burned alive.”

Durelin remarked crossly “You people better not blame ME!”

Legate climbed onto a chair and waved his hand to get everyone's attention.

“This is certainly a terrible tragedy. Our special effects are going to suffer horribly, for one thing! But Rikae died doing what she believed in...! And we're going to finish this movie...for Rikae...and send the proceeds to her wife...er, or whoever...and kids!”
“Hear, hear!” proclaimed the fanboy.
“And what's more, we'll find the people responsible for this...mess...and give them what they deserve!”
“Look!” shouted Gil-Galad, pointing to Rikae's prized 60th anniversary “giant book of death” edition of LOTR on the table.

The book lay open, and the pages were turning of their own accord. Back and forth they flipped, faster and faster...
and suddenly stopped – at the very first page.
Mithalwen walked over to the book, and, before her eyes, a luminous silver line appeared on the page, underlining two phrases. She read out loud, in her best Galadriel voice:

glimpses that had arisen unbidden of things higher or deeper or darker than its surface.

In spite of the darkness of the next five years I found that the story could not now be wholly abandoned, and I plodded on, mostly by night...”

Then – signed in the margin - “J.R.R. Tolkien”

Day 1 has begun. Wolves, shut up (er...with the PM'ing! ). Everybody else: SPEAK! NOW!!!!

The Cast and Crew

The dearly departed:

Rikae (mod) – CG Animator - Rendered and Lighted on Night 1.

Those still with us:

Volo - Gollum
Legate of Amon Lanc - Sound Master/Saruman
Macalaure - The 7th orc in the 3rd row
Boromir88- Sir Boromir, playing Denethor
Mithalwen- Galadriel
Shastanis Althreduin - Legolas' stunt double
Durelin - Special Effects Pyrotechnician
The Saucepan Man- Set Catering Manager
Xyzzy - Young Fanboy
Brinniel- Wacky Foley Artist
Thinlómien- Non-Winged Balrog
The Sixth Wizard- Protester against Dwarven Comic Relief
Anguirel- Celeborn
Kath - Make-up Artist
Gil-Galad - Zombie-Gil-Galad
Aganzir - Smeagol
Rune -Tolkien geek who is estatic about being an Elf extra
Diamond18 - Lady in charge of Wigs and all other False Hairpieces

Last edited by Rikae; 05-14-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Woo, first post! Just in time for me to get out of the hospital (contracted mononucleosis on Friday, finally went to the ER yesterday). I don't know how active I'll be today, as I'm using the on-screen keyboard to type this... I'll definately be active tomorrow, though.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nineteen there came from Rivendell, so went the word. Where is Rikae, for I do much desire...

Blast it. I've examined proceedings and have decided that you're all clearly guilty apart from my dear wife. Once we have some transport, we shall withdraw, in two separate marine stages, not that our marriage is on the rocks or anything...the rest of you can stew in your lupine juices.

I am going to spend my time whittling some stylish river-going vessels and white-water rafting. Wolves, do not attack me, for I am an Elf Lord of ancient lineage, even though no one seems to know who my parents were, and have many powers potent and strong.

I'm also not that Wise. Definitely not a Seer or anything. Neither's my wife. That mirror is purely employed for purposes of vanity.

Oh God! I had half-a-dozen lines in the canonical script, and now this!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
My presiouss! What are we iss do heer?!

Not uss, niise hobbitss.

What? No hobbits? Precious is free!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #6
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What was that smell? Spoiling nice meat, scorching it, are they? They shouldn't have done that, sss, no! Nassty red tongues! It's dangerous, yes it is. It burns, it kills. It killed Rikae, nice Rikae. Sméagol doesn't like at all, precious, no.
And where are the nassty hobbitses, precious? Where have they taken the Precious? We wants to complain to the director for not employing hobbitses, nassty director. We can't bite off Frodo's finger, I can't.

Sméagol is sorry but Sméagol can't be very active toDay. We have to sleep, we have to go to school, we have to see friends, nassty friends. Sméagol will be back to vote some hours before the deadline, but if one balrog friend of Sméagol's must go home early, Sméagol will return again about the deadline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum
Precious is free!
The Precious is Sméagol's!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Possibly having read too much Stanislavsky..

The Lord Celeborn maybe called wise, and long years of the world outside, have I dwellt with him in Caras Galadhon, yet while he speaks truly of my innocence, should he speak slightingly of the powers of the mirror of Galadriel, calling it perchance "The magic birdbath", or otherwise suggest that I need to spend longer in make-up than the other female cast members, he may find himself walking the strange paths of Elvish dreams on the spare flet.

Indeed already from my mirror (ie the Admin thread ), I have learnt that our quest is balanced on the edge of a knife for though we have four sworn enemies, further foes of number unspecified may haunt our steps though we are aided by the Three whose powers are not clearly revealed and my reading has not yet discerned any clues.

Though it be soon in the day, I would exhort the fellowship to be mindful of the commandments of the Lady Rikae as concerns voting (ie remember double lynching is possible and only one retractio) .... though perhaps she spoke in jest only when she instructed us to vote for Rune ....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Indeed, my lady, I should be most loth to vote for Master Rune, seeing as he is the only Elf apart from ourselves and your illustrious relative's revanant shape, and so might be said to constitute the entire People of Lorien...I have no desire to be a Lord without subjects to wisely shepherd...

In the absence of that parvenu stripling Master Elrond, I suppose we get to host the Council at last (unless the Balrog of Moria wishes to put in a counter-claim...)

To me the instruction of the late departed most deserving of attention is the advice about "slightly unique" helpers. I shall therefore proceed on the assumption that we have something amounting to a Seer, Ranger and Hunter on our side, until evidence arises against this.

Did the lady also hint that sundry ruffians, like unto Cobblers, will aid the wolves? This I shall check once more, yet I think it passing unlikely for the present.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White-Hand

Well? Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?

Four enemies are hiding among you now. And as for the Lady here, she spoke of other possible dangers. That may be so, but the thought is late in coming to you. How long, I wonder, are you, "secret roles", going to conceal from me, the head of the Council, a matter of greatest import? What are you waiting for? What will bring you now from your lurking-places?

But come now! Yes, I am now speaking to you, Innocents, and especially you, good Gifted! Much have I desired to see you, especially in these dark times, for you could be of the greatest help to us, having a noble mind and eyes that look both deep and far. Alas, I cannot, and I know that: there's too much at stake. But even if you stay hidden, let your counsels help us. Much we could still accomplish together, to heal the disorders of this place. And this goes for you, all the Innocent minds. Let us understand one another, and dismiss from thought these meddling creatures! Shall we make our counsels together against evil days?

Silence kills. Especially now. Early time it might be, but we must grasp as much knowledge as we could, and this is not accomplished by just silence or idle monologues. Rather, let us talk.

Are we alone here? Or is there anyone else, waiting? Speak! What have you to say?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Ah, yes. The head of the Council. I had quite forgotten him.

Hmph. No comment. Far be it from me to take issue with the respected Curunir, but...hmph. Come on, Galadriel, let's see if we can plant some mallorns here about. The trees call out to us. Do they not call this the Wood of the Hollies?

At least I have a starring role now we seem to have lost contact with that troublesome Fellowship...
Old 05-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Indeed, Lord Celeborn? To every man his part. Far away is your home and your part in the Council was not great, if any. And the wisdom of Saruman and the power of Orthanc cannot be lightly thrown aside. You may find the Shadow of the Studio at your own door next: it is wayward, and senseless, and has no love for Elves. Unless you are its servant. So let me and the Lady and the others consult the matters of utmost importance - and either join us, or meddle not in policies which you do not understand.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Saruman the White should remember that while Celeborn the Wise, is not infallible that he is still my husband and that if anyone else other than me attempts to slight him, even be they Maia and Istar, they may find that a ring of power makes and effective knuckleduster... (and I've got one and you haven't nyah nyah nyah nyah nyaaaaaaaah)

I would add that the presence of malevolent aides to the foes are deemed probable in the auspices. And that the doppelganger of my lord's nephew/cousin/ whatever may be deemed of the eldar kindred. Land of Hollies? Ah my love, we have it seemed returned to Eregion after so long an absence! I shall fetch my gardening gloves ... I mean my Alan Titchmash songbook for lazy but musical gardeners:I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew...

Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Curunir, discourtesy is no sign of wisdom - at any rate, not among the Children of Illuvatar. I shall take counsel with my heart's love and we shall share that counsel with you, should it be needful. Alas, my osanwe is not yet quite up to speed despite my recent passage through the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, yet we shall do our best.

Let us leave matters of precedence and soberly consider each other's words - and deeds.

It seems to me unlikely that wolves will risk adhering to each other too closely so early on, and deliberate distancing may prove a helpful guide.

Remember that our cast and crew is scattered and diverse, and be not too swift to condemn the quiet (who in any case are punished in extreme cases by the Rules...)
Old 05-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
And the wisdom of Saruman and the power of Orthanc cannot be lightly thrown aside..

Time will tell if if should be hurled with great force, if necessary we might negotiate a group rate with Entish Equity... but let our hearts not be troubled overly by dispute between us .. the smallest folk may have more influence in this matter than the great ones here in discussion. I would hear more speak before I look into their hearts and attempt to divine their secrets. . Less than a third of our company have spoken. Soon I must depart for a while, a few hours of men, and repose my mind and body. I hope that I may learn from the wisdom of all on my return.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

"Remember that our cast and crew is scattered and diverse, and be not too swift to condemn the quiet," you say? But on that occasion you erred, I think - or are you misconstruing my intentions wilfully? I only wanted those who are around to speak, if they are. It must be obvious to everyone that those from lands far away cannot speak up already now, only if they wanted. My speech was against those who are around, and are not speaking. As I, with my wisdom, presume they are. There is not that few of us, after all.

EDIT: Hmm, seems the Lady has the same point as I. For myself, I have also other matters to attend to, and then I am going to depart for possibly a... longer time. So here you see it: This is what I meant.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I too must fall silent soonish. One mustn't forget professional obligations, and I've nabbed a plush role as King John in a docudrama on the Magna Carta fronted by Simon Schama...er, ahem, brings back the days when I did A-Level History as a callow youth, ahem ahem...
Old 05-14-2007, 03:15 PM   #17
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I had thought a wafer of lembas, and a tot of miruvor to steady frayed elvish nerves, might be in order but the catering facilities are currently noticeable by their absence so I shall see if the kettle and toaster in my trailer work and failing that ... well the corkscrew always works...... for now ..Namarie

Old 05-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #18
xyzzy
Haunting Spirit

xyzzy is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Oh, sweet, the guard didn't notice me coming in! Wow, cool!

What're you all talkinmg about, voting for someone, huh? I don't know anything about that, I guess.

When are you gonna tape one of those cool war scenes? Those are the really cool ones. They're so cool, I hope I can manage to get into one! I could, like, run past and scream at random people, then I could do, like, some sweet ninja action.

[Am I playing the part of the overeager nine-year-old fanboy well?]
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #19
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
urrgh? it aint fun being a zombie sometimes...

personally i hate day ones mainly because there is virtually nothing to get off at, the day 1 lynch is a big chance probably all the time... so i guess we'll just wait till the first bandwagon appears, though personally i also hate those (bad past experiances and all)

so in conclusion

brains
Old 05-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Wooha me the intire population of Lothlorien! That is so awesome! ! !

and is this what I shall be wearing? It is sooo cool, wait to the guys from D&D and The Downs sees me in this.

I wonder if there is any other elves around, I think I spottet Celeborn earlier. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm here. With hair. Now's your chance to make requests. Red, brown, blonde, black, blue? Curly, straight? Braids? Ponytail mohawks? Speak now or forever hold the piece I choose for you.

Okay, so it's Day 1, there's already been lots of banter... mainly between Celebang and Mithaladriel. Entertaining, as Ang always is. I also forsee much entertainment value to be got from Vollum and Smeagnzir.

But as far as Wolves (er, weird hyenalike creatures, rather) go... not so much to go on. Which figures.

I'm going to have to vote early toDay. As in... a couple hours from now. Right now I have nothing to go on.... so.... hm. Sucks a bit.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #22
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Okay, okay, I'm here. *jumps up and down* I've got a lot of work to do....there's so much sound to record, where do I begin? Let's see...

Well, the elves have already arrived, so let's begin with them. *Picks up some fancy elven robes stolen from a costume designer that apparently does not exist and starts swing the material around next to a mike*

Whoosh Whoosh

Okay, perhaps that is a little too loud. Elves are light and graceful, right? Let's try it again...

Oh and btw, I have decided to used the sound of pouring lemonade for the mirror of Galadriel...because water is just too darn realistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
it aint fun being a zombie sometimes...
Huh? Wait...did Tolkien write in zombies? *Pulls out copy of LotR and starts scanning through it* Nope, I don't see anything.

Oh well...I guess that just means more sound for me to record.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #23
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel

Huh? Wait...did Tolkien write in zombies? *Pulls out copy of LotR and starts scanning through it* Nope, I don't see anything.

Oh well...I guess that just means more sound for me to record.
yes it is quite interesting that there is a zombie on the set even though it is nowhere mentioned in the books, it does look like Gil-Galad, but still slightly odd.

oh and Di, just make me a bunndle of different style hair, it looks like i will be needing a few. . .most of them should probably be long, blond and straight though.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #24
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
oh and Di, just make me a bunndle of different style hair, it looks like i will be needing a few. . .most of them should probably be long, blond and straight though.
Elves are extra fun to make wigs for... there's "everyday straight" "special occasion braids" "battle worn mussed" and my personal favorite "very special occasion channeling Princess Leia"... :merisu:

Hm. I may not be able to bring myself to vote for any of the elves. Lose the elves and I could be stuck doing "stringy trio of oily strands" for the rest of the shoot! Though dwarven beards are fun, too.

My time to vote is nearing... as I expected I don't really have much to go on that would make for sound reasoning... I may just have to vote for Gil because his signature is begging for it.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Oh I do wish you'd all just sit still for a few moments so I can get this make-up on you! Everytime I think I'm actually going to be able to work on someone they disappear! And with Gollum and Smeagol switching places every few seconds I'm never going to get them done. Perhaps it's an evil plot ... oh wait, that's not actually a thing to joke about here is it?

On that subject there is a point I would like to bring up but I may wait until tomorrow or even the next Day to do so, as it's one that can cause a first Day to descend into a flurry of arguments the likes of which we see every time.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to see if I can find that blasted zombie. I want to copy those shadows under his eyes for later in the films.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #26
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

White-Hand

Okay... work is calling... I've got lots of wigs to make.

+ + Gil-Galad

Really, a zombie in the LotR? I thought we were trying to do it the proper way this go-around!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:12 PM   #27
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
… but the catering facilities are currently noticeable by their absence …
*The serving hatch on the Catering Van slides open with a creak and a jolly, bearded and bespectacled face pops out.*

Someone looking for something to eat? Well, I’ve whipped up a nice ghoulash here, if anyone would care for a bowl. An old family recipe. Put hairs on your chin, it will.

*Saucepan holds up a bottle marked “Saucepan‘s Special Ghoulash Sauce“ and does a double take as he notices that it remains full. Sheepishly, he glance back to the kitchenette and spies with horror an empty, though somewhat greasy, pepsi bottle.*

Ahem, salad anyone?

So, what’s been happening since the ghoulash … er ... ghoulish discovery? Hmm, a bunch of method actors spouting their lines. Crew members going about the business. Sheesh! I’ve heard of the expression “the show must go on”, but this is ridiculous. Surely you don’t expect this production to go ahead in the circumstances? What with the CG Animator brutally murdered and a bunch of Werewolves running amok among us? I mean, it’s not like there’s never been a film of Tolkien’s masterpiece made before. Like, you know, there was that trilogy that, um, won, like, UMPTEEN OSCARS including BEST DIRECTOR, or something like that.

Anyway, to business.

*Saucepan picks up a clipborad on which the word “Director” has been hastily scribbled out and replaced with the words “Day 1 Checklist”*

Now, let me see …

Discussion of roles. Check

Exhortation to all to speak. Check

Discussion about what might be done with the quiet ones. Check.

Statement of dislike of Day 1s. Check.

Any useful discussion directed towards finding the Wolves … Erm, nope.

So far, I am highly impressed by Xyzzy, who obviously has a masterful understanding of how fantasy films should be made. And I think that we should keep Gil-Galad around for a while, as Zombies are always good value. Especially later in the piece, when the hero stumbles across a chainsaw or hover-mower, or some such.

Oh, and Anguirel‘s clearly a Wolf. He‘s talking far too much to be a credible Celeborn. Obviously, he’s got something to hide.

That and it’s traditional for me to attempt to vote off the Elves first, starting with Celeborn.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #28
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond
Okay, so it's Day 1, there's already been lots of banter... mainly between Celebang and Mithaladriel.
Indeed, and the Legate of Orthanc too. If a certain fellow by the name of Nogrod were here, he might have something to say about this little triangle of luvvies. Anguirel and Mithalwen are, of course, linked by their roles. But Legate's little opening skirmish with them struck me as slightly odd. Mainly banter, I know, but possibly worth bearing in mind for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Remember that our cast and crew is scattered and diverse, and be not too swift to condemn the quiet (who in any case are punished in extreme cases by the Rules...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
But on that occasion you erred, I think - or are you misconstruing my intentions wilfully? I only wanted those who are around to speak, if they are. It must be obvious to everyone that those from lands far away cannot speak up already now, only if they wanted. My speech was against those who are around, and are not speaking.
This comes across as rather defensive to me, given that Anguirel's point was admonishing, rather than accusatory, in tone.

Still, not a lot to go on really, given that few have said much substance so far. I too must take my leave for now. Tea, coffee and cookies on the counter, if anyone’s interested, but I would advise steering clear of the ghoulash.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
4 werewolves! 4 werewolves! I'm used to having 3 and thats bad enough! But now there's 4! All hope is lost. No point in resistings the wolves will devour us all. Flee for your lives, I say, if you can! Or die in what was seems best. Durelin, fetch me wood and oil:

++Boromir88
Old 05-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #30
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I am now lost in a multiplicity of voting candidates.

I could vote for that unsavoury cook due to his vulgar mention of the Jackson travesty.

I could vote for the Lord Denethor, for though he is reputed to be wise he seems to be planning to burn down some vegetation in a pyre, which I disapprove off.

I could vote for the discourteous so-called Legate Curunir.

I could join the campaign to remove the uncanonical zombie.

Charmed though I am by the wig-maker Diamond, I wonder if her liking for Elvish hair is an attempt to gain the support of the Elvish votes? I doubt it actually. Wolf-Diamond would probably work through chaos, not politics.

I am grateful to the Lord Denethor for reminding me about the fourth wolf. That means that one in four and a half of us are guilty...
Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #31
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Hello all you potential dwarf slanderers! I have my eye upon you with your 'toss me's' and your 'nervous system's.

I have not much time toDay to say anything, but, as Legate said we should speak up and I may as well voice my opinion.

Usually on Day 1 we jump to less than well-founded suspicions, so here we go! When reading over the thread I came to the conclusion that Anguirel looked the most suspicious thus far, posting a lot and being in character too much. He looks a bit like he has something to hide to me. I see that SpM has come to the same conclusion.

Speaking of whom, SpM also looks suspicious to me at this point. I don't know why, I got this feeling last game, but he makes me feel angry.

Ta-ta till I vote, peeps!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #32
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
A flame veiled in shadow approached the discussers. The wing-like shadows it casted were dark, avoiding the sunlight. "You shall not pass", a booming voice said. Then, after a moment: "Oops! It was not my line!"

I'll try to be useful toDay (useful on Day1 ) as I'm not sure if I can get online at all during Day2 (see old post on admin thread). So, where to start...?

Like Mr Saucer noted, there has been less constructive posting than usually. That kind of worries me - after all, such intelligent people as Ang, Mith and Legate seem to have had plenty of time online. (Though, I admit, they've been very amusing. ) On the other hand there's not much to say during the early hours, but...

This is a rather big game and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of weird roles - knowing the CG animator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang
It seems to me unlikely that wolves will risk adhering to each other too closely so early on, and deliberate distancing may prove a helpful guide.
I wouldn't count on this, Mr Pointy-Eared Silverhead. I've seen wolves bantering with each other during the early hours, though I admit that's not too usual. However, this statement by Ang this early when he, Mith and Legate have been chatting quite intesively makes me a bit alarmed... (Even though I must say Legate and Ang don't look like partners in crime...)

Sixth then... I don't know what to make of him jumping against Anguirel. I took SPM's words about Ang as a joke, but Sixth seems to be serious about it and jumping to it quite quickly. Might be an over-eager wolf first-timer...?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:14 AM   #33
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth
When reading over the thread I came to the conclusion that Anguirel looked the most suspicious thus far, posting a lot and being in character too much. He looks a bit like he has something to hide to me. I see that SpM has come to the same conclusion.
Actually, as Lommy the Balrog has correctly noted, my accusation of Anguirel was mere flippantry. Anguirel is far from being the only one to have posted mostly in character and, indeed, is one of the few to have made some points of substance among the frippery. You seem to accept that your suspicion is less than well-founded, but why single out Anguirel from all the banterers?

I am ever suspicious of those who pick up on flippant accusations, so my eye is on you Sixth.

Porridge anyone?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #34
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Pure in-character content within one of the first 10 posts is okay...

But pure in-character content within any of the later posts begs for quick death!

xyzzy, Rune, Brinniel, Boro and excessively Mith and Legate.

Speak sense, you filthy maggots! Don't you know we're at waaar!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Silence kills. Especially now. Early time it might be, but we must grasp as much knowledge as we could, and this is not accomplished by just silence or idle monologues. Rather, let us talk.
Idle monologues? Look who's talking...
Legate really looks like the worst of all these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
On that subject there is a point I would like to bring up but I may wait until tomorrow or even the next Day to do so, as it's one that can cause a first Day to descend into a flurry of arguments the likes of which we see every time.
So you would rather turn Day Two into a flurry of arguments?

PS: I agree with Lommy and SPM regarding Six.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #35
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
Pure in-character content within one of the first 10 posts is okay...

But pure in-character content within any of the later posts begs for quick death!

xyzzy, Rune, Brinniel, Boro and excessively Mith and Legate.

Speak sense, you filthy maggots! Don't you know we're at waaar!?

Idle monologues? Look who's talking...
Legate really looks like the worst of all these.
What a load of rubbish! If one is not allowed to make in-charachter posts then what is the point of the charachters Mac?

Of course it is a problem if people keeps on doing it for a whole day and nothing else, but to set up rules saying that 10 posts in maximum is just way to rigid a system.

I really see no problem in my first two "intruduction" posts being in charachter just because that a sertain number of people have posted before me.

Let it be up to people them selves to judge and if it bothers you say so.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:43 AM   #36
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Well my incharacterness first post had a plan along with it, but umm that really didn't turn out exactly as planned. Since I have to vote in about 10 minutes, before I went to sleep I wanted to get some reaction and talk besides all this in-character stuff, so I at least had something to go off of for voting.

--Boromir88

Pah I was foolish to think anyone would fall for that one. Obviously you are all smart enough to know a noble Lord like myself would not stoop to the level of the heathen kings; killing themselves in their madness. No, you need a Lordly master, like myself (and not some chump from Elf Land) to lead us through these times. With that I shall officially vote for:

++Anguirel

No real reason, besides the fact that he is too jovial and chipper for my liking. That's all I have, now I must be gone. I do hope the rest of the day picks up a little bit. Where's Nogrod, to pick up the village chatter, when you need him.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:48 AM   #37
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Why this sudden fit of defensiveness, Rune?

There is nothing wrong with in-character-ness. You might have noticed that I left Ang and Diamond out of my list. That's because they mixed their in-character fun with actual points. And of course there's also nothing wrong with pure in-character stuff. All you have to do is deal with my suspicion then.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:01 AM   #38
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
As for being in-character, I don't have anything against every person's first post being something in-character regardless of the time it is posted - after all otherwise the late-comers would always miss the banter which could be sad - but I think excessive ic-posting hinders the village.

Anyway, I don't like Mac throwing all those people into the same category. While Mith and Legate clearly iced (like were in-character, nothing to do with ice ) a lot, they had some constructive (or un-in-character) points in there. (Even such a goatee-having cobbler like you, Mac, should see it. ) Thus I don't think they should be compared with Rune, Xyzzy, Brinn and Boro.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 AM   #39
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Lord preserve us from any hard and fast rules about when banter is permitted and when it’s not. Surely it’s a matter for individuals to judge whether someone’s use of banter seems incriminating or not.

As far as I can see, the only banter here so far has either been a first post (fair enough, in my view) or else mixed in with some substantive points.

I take the 7th Morc in the 3rd row’s point about the Legate of Orth Ankh counselling everyone to speak, while saying little of substance himself (and Legate certainly bears watching). However, the most suspicious thing that I have seen so far is Sixth’s hastiness to jump on Ang, following of my own flippant accusation. So I shall vote:

++The Sixth Wizard

Macaroons anyone?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #40
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
[. Put hairs on your chin, it will.
At my age sweetie, that is no laughing matter ..do anyoneyou make up types have tweezers? And Brinniel, darling ..lemonade in my fountain - I don't think the lady of the Golden wood would be getting the vision with tesco value pop, do you? Make it Gin & Tonic, there's a love, does wonders for the vocal cords...

Boromir, my dear, we need a lord you say ..why when we have a Queen, beautiful and terrible... all shall love me and despaaaaaaairrrrrr

...ok, fair point despair premature, lead on Palantir-boy. But that is my chump you vote for, and if he be innocent I shall be handing you the firelighters..

Mac, chill, as SpM pointed out we covered all main Early day one topics while having our fun. At least we talked. Personally I am a little disappointed that there was still the one page when I came back *misses Roa and Nogrod*.

I am meeting my agent for lunch shortly but then I should be back up to the end. I really hope everyone will post as much as they can. At the moment I cannot decide whether people are jumping at genuine clues or straws. Day ones are not wastes of time. Given that there are more than a dozen fenris wolves, a wolf is caught Day 1 a good proportion of the time. This may not be one of those days but Day one interraction is usually significant in retrospect. Silence is not golden.

Fare thee well ...