The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
The Culminations of Threads

I couldn't do a comprehensive search on the subject so I don't know if this is an original thought or not.

Can we have a culmination of all the really good threads? Threads are aptly named as the discussions and RPG's weave a tapestry of Tolkien's work no mere mortal could hope to comprehend in its current state. Is there some way we could define what the Barrowdowns forum has produced? This would help people to know what has been discussed and what has been learned as well.

Not to suggest we ask more from our Mods; I would like to help in any way possible if this is a good idea. What do people think?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dűm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Addendum : I guess I should say that this proposed project would also help the Barrowdowns recycle old topics and continue its search for Tolkien knowledge. If we all grow to be equally knowledgeable in Tolkien, and have already discoursed at length about every subject, why not come full circle and start to perhaps erase threads with no contributions for at least three years? Then we could have the balrog wing and orc reproduction arguments (excuse me, discussions ) all over again.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

I think it more likely, bilbo_baggins, that such an endeavour would tend to produce more arugments, er, excuse me, discussions , over the validity and truth/Truth of the particular form of culmination which said Culminator has produced, leading undoubtedly to several Culminations, each arguing for the inclusion/exclusion of particular threads and movements as either more or less representative of BarrowDownsedness.

I'm sure this would keep us admirably amused but perhaps might occasion even greater confusion for the newly dead. I say, let them wander among the barrows and find their own way!

As for erasing untouched threads in the bottom of the barrow, Eru forbid! Someone is always sure to come along and find just that right old brooch which everyone else thought was just some tarnished trifle.

btw, it's always good to see Downers returning. Welcome back, enthusiastic one.