The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
davem??

Hmmmmm....where's davem? He doesn't appear in the Member's List either sorted by rep or alphabetically....

Something like this happened to me last spring -- it felt like being wraithed -- but the admins were able to fix it.

Help the poor man! Bring him back!
Fordim Hedgethistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

Who is this davem you speak of?

Old 11-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #3
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Strangities... perhaps Lal can help us out... or she might be in the dark just like us.

On the bright side, everyone behind him just jumped up a spot in the 'rep rankings!'*

And while we're on the subject of davem, I've always wondered if his name shouldn't be pronounced Dave M. Hmmm....

*Disclaimer: This comment is purely intended for humor and is not to be taken seriously in any way... at all... ever... no, not even now... and still not now. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Maybe he put on the One Internet Ring of Power...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
'Twas that Ring that I gave to him....

Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha.......
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I thought for a second that he had merged into the Super Lalwendavem we had been threatened with, but apparently he has returned.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #7
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Good to see him back, although it does mean that I am once again sixth in the rep list, rather than the far more lofty fifth that I was able to enjoy for a couple of hours this morning....
Old 11-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Personally I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't some briefly experimented with idea that the mods had based off of the movie Forgotten.

Perhaps they were trying to see if we'd forget that poor davem (however you prefer to pronounce it) ever existed?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
A same kind of a disappearing happened to me on the other day. It was a terrible experience, let me tell you; terrible! I thought that I had accidentally deleted my account! The option to send PMs disappeared along with all my PMs and I wasn't on the members list anymore. Then I realised that it was because I had updated my e-mail address and I had to activate the change before all came back to normal.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:31 PM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
And while we're on the subject of davem, I've always wondered if his name shouldn't be pronounced Dave M. Hmmm....
It should. I seem to remember that way back when I joined the Downs I saw some thread that I urgently wanted to respond to, so I just came up with the first name I could. My real name is David M*****
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yet even though I have known this for some time.. I cannot alter my mental pronounciation of it... Da Vem sounds much more mysterious..... Oh well I am sure noone gets Mithalwen right

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 PM   #12
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
It should. I seem to remember that way back when I joined the Downs I saw some thread that I urgently wanted to respond to, so I just came up with the first name I could. My real name is David M*****
For historical interest, I have found that first post.

I find it quite fitting.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hmmm, that topic sounds familiar - one of my old threads it is!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:32 PM   #14
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Yet even though I have known this for some time.. I cannot alter my mental pronounciation of it... Da Vem sounds much more mysterious..... Oh well I am sure noone gets Mithalwen right
davem is pronounced either dayvum or Oi! to me.

Mithalwen is mithul-wen to me, though dayvum pronounces it mith-arl-wen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
For historical interest, I have found that first post.

I find it quite fitting.
How the heck do you find early posts then? It only seems to bring up the last 500 or so when I look.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Well I guess that is your prerogative .... but as for my moniker... well neither is the way I think it is.. but I am trying not to be too chuffed that it is pronounced by either of you since it could well be in the context of "oh no! Mithalwen has gone off on one again......"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #16
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë

How the heck do you find early posts then? It only seems to bring up the last 500 or so when I look.
Ahhh...for that, m'dear, you need to possess two things:

1) a good working knowledge of your intended target, and

2) patience with the clunky search engine round here.

The key, as you have noted, is entering a search that returns less than 500 results.

To do this for the Downer in question, one must know first that he posted only to the Books forum for the first couple of years and limit the search to that.

Then, say you want posts only from a year ago or older, and sort them in ascending order.

I would add in passing that in the first two years of davem's time here, he posted only 243 times. But with post number 244 -- to my own much-beloved Canonicity thread -- the pace picked up drastically....

Did I create two monsters....?

(Make sure you search only for posts, and for davem only, obviously.)
Old 11-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #17
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancing spawn of ungoliant
A same kind of a disappearing happened to me on the other day. It was a terrible experience, let me tell you; terrible! I thought that I had accidentally deleted my account! The option to send PMs disappeared along with all my PMs and I wasn't on the members list anymore. Then I realised that it was because I had updated my e-mail address and I had to activate the change before all came back to normal.
OOO!!! I did the same thing when I changed my e-mail account as well!!! I can tell you I had quite a fright!!

While were (not so much anymore however) on the subject of name pronunciation, I've always wondered how to properly say Valesse's. It's been bugging me for quite some time.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #18
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Myth-ul-win

dav-em

Val-less-eh

That's how I think'em. (Don't say them too often, though.)
Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 AM   #19
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril a lot of tongues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
Good to see him back, although it does mean that I am once again sixth in the rep list, rather than the far more lofty fifth that I was able to enjoy for a couple of hours this morning....
It was your fault, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
My real name is David M*****
Ah, but if you have memory like mine, you'll know where to look. Or better yet, you'll remember what M***** is...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:22 PM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
For the briefest of moments I thought we were stuck in a chapter of 1984.