The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Question Would any British BD-ers like to check in?

As we all know by now, London was attacked today.

This thread is not intended for dicussing these horrific events, there are other venues available for that.

However, I thought it might be a good idea to set up a thread so that our BD-ers who are living/traveling in the London area could check in and say that they're Ok.

This thread will be deleted after everything settles down.

Thank you.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand There but for the grace of God ...

Good call, Lush.

I was on the tube this morning when the attacks happened, and was turfed off before reaching work when they closed the network down. Ended up walking most of the way. Now wondering how on earth I'm going to get home, with the tube likely to be out of action for quite some time and other means of public transport severely disrupted.

But I am one of the lucky ones. Many others were not, and my thoughts are with them and their families.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Good to hear from you Saucie. My prayers (against the rules to state though they may be) go out to those killed, and those hurt.<3 Fea
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Though I do not live in London, I'm only about 30 miles away. Which is enough to mean I'm fine, thankfully.

This might seem morbid, but I have from time to time wondered about what to do when a BDer passes away. How would we find out? What would we do? Are we really enough of a community for it to matter? (I would say we are).
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

I can only think of maybe one time when it has happened before, and that was around 11th September 2001 when one american barrowdowner went missing. I think. But then, it could just be that they are otherwise disposed to use their time now - you can't really seperate just going AWOL from a more permanent departure. But sure, I would say it would matter.

There were thirteen Downers in London at the last count - glad to hear you're ok, Saucie My dad travels on the tube at least twice a day to get to work, it was a little nerve-racking to say the least, as the mobile phone networks were down all this morning - he was travelling from King's Cross. But it's ok...

Rimbaud? Squatter? Lyra Greenleaf?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:20 AM   #6
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I live nearish to London and my dad works there. Thankfully he's OK since the bombs went off at a time when he wasn't in the centre but it was pretty scary for a while til we heard from him.

This is a great idea Lush, thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #7
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
I'm glad for the good news that have come our way so far. I was worried about a friend who works in central London herself, but she has checked in, and she's fine.

I would imagine that if a BDer passed away, their relatives will be in the possession of their computer; and I imagine that eventually they would post a message here, if they were interested in doing that.

I'm pretty sure that Squatter is in Nottingham, but I would feel better if he checked in anyway. Same goes for Rimbaud, Lyra, Fordim and so on and so forth.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #8
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Squatter is in Nottingham and safe. His proclaimed dissipations at local London establishments would not usually put him in town at that time.

Estelyn has emailed Rim. Lyra I don't know how to reach; does she have a Xanga blog one could leave a comment on?

But really Lush! Fordim is in a small town near me, and not even overseas at conferences last I heard, although he tried to barter a free ticket to the Tolkien Society bash this August. Not all the eloquent ones are Brits.

There are several other Brits among us, but to the best of my knowledge they are in the midlands or north or Yorkshire. Eomer of course is in Scotland which is currently attempting to proclaim itself a separate country.

I'm happy to hear of all our Dead who have not sailed west.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 07-07-2005 at 11:35 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well there is me in the kingdom of Wessex For some of us London is North...but since I am so obviously around causing bloodshed of my own.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Many thanks to everyone for their concern. Today has been a bad day for Londoners and their families. As I said, I am one of the lucky ones.

I must say that I have been expecting something like this ever since the New York attacks. It is part and parcel of living and working in London (and any other major city). The main thing, as far as I am concerned, is to carry on as normal and not let the twisted and brutal perpetrators of attrocities like this change our way of life or our values. So I shall be back on the daily commute tomorrow morning as always.

The only other Downers who I know work/study in London are Rim and Lyra. I hope that they are safe and well. But, since Rim has not posted for a month or so and Lyra has not been on for some time, I would not read to much into their non-appearance so far on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
I would imagine that if a BDer passed away, their relatives will be in the possession of their computer; and I imagine that eventually they would post a message here, if they were interested in doing that.
Unfortunately, of course, after the Crystal Heart incident, such messages are likely to be regarded as suspicious.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sauce

Glad to hear you're ok. Terrible news. Lalwende & I live some way from London (Sheffield, that is) so we were a long way from today's events.

Have to say I was a bit surprised to hear a lawyer was on the tube - was the private jet in for a service?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Actually after the Crystal Heart incident - and before it turned into a fiasco - I had thought how fortunate for us that someone knew how to let us know.... and I did leave a note in an obvious place in the hope that someone would contact my more significant boards in the event of my demise...

I think we have got off fairly lightly in the circumstance, though worse may follow. Certainly I don't feel it is in a different league yet to the IRA terrorism some of us grew up with here or the terrorist attacks that happened during my time living in Paris. .... and Saucepan Man is right that we have to carry on as normal. Which maybe easier for me to say out in the boondocks.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Sauce

Have to say I was a bit surprised to hear a lawyer was on the tube - was the private jet in for a service?

Well we were glad to know that our senior partner was OK.... he was up to the London Office today.... but after we knew we were more worried that he wouldn't back in time to sign cheques ......

Old 07-07-2005, 01:26 PM   #14
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

A valid point. Verily, The Crystal Heart Fiasco shall indeed go down in Barrow history.

On the point of how the board members would know if I was...more permanently indisposed to visiting, however - I very much doubt my family would actually post something here. I mean, I've been a member for a coupla years, but my parents are about as technologically advanced as the hermits. My mother only just discovered that her phone has games. Hours of entertainment. *sigh*

Lyra does have a xanga, yes (here) but she hasn't posted on it since September, so it ain't exactly a reliable way of checking in. And as Saucepan Man said, she hasn't been on the Barrowdowns since early this year, so her absence can't really be taken as ominous.

(ps. Davem - 'some way from London'? Sheffield? Good lord, man, you're almost as far as I am, half a country away! )
Old 07-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Good to hear that our London 'downers are ok. I am in the North East so have only followed today's events via my tv. However, I have family in and around London. Thankfully, they too, were not in the affected areas today.
I'm sure that everyone's thoughts are with those that were killed or injured, and their loved ones.
I give thanks to the Emergency Services dealing with the aftermath.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #16
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I was shocked to hear about this, but like SPM says, it was almost expected, which was chilling to think about. I've scoffed many a time at the bomb film on the office windows and the sinister 'incident cards' we were issued with, but now I've started wondering if my London colleagues are all OK. When I first heard where the attacks had been, near the legal district, I wondered if you were safe, SPM, so I'm really happy you are!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #17
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Glad to her that you're all okay so far! I was rather worried when I heard about it this morning, but it's comforting to know that as far as we know of, all our Londoners are well. As far as Lyra goes, I'm assuming that the Barrow-Wight has access to her e-mail address if nobody else does. Perhaps he could write to her, or maybe have somebody else do it? Just a thought...

Last edited by Orominuialwen; 07-07-2005 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typos
Orominuialwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #18
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Squatter is chatting live with me as I type, alive and well and far north of the troubles. He also is having trouble posting as he has changed his email addy.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 AM   #19
Lush
Fair and Cold

I thought that Fordim was traveling in England this summer, so it's good to hear that he's Ok and far away from the scene of trouble.

I am not freaking out about Lyra and Rim at this point, but it would be nice to hear from them regardless.

Thank you so much to everyone who has participated,

Beth, please give my best to Squatter. I miss him!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:12 AM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Bear in mind that statistically highly unlikely that anyone is involved. Although small comfort if you happen to be that statistic. The mundane car accident is a far greated possibility ( but most of us jump in our cars without a second thought....) and would be just a great a personal tragedy for those who care about us..... A former colleague was so killed about a week ago round the corner from her home.

Old 07-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #21
Lush
Fair and Cold

Yep, Mithalwen, I agree. I'm not as worried about people getting killed in the attacks, as injured or simply caught up in the aftermath. Glad everyone seems Ok. Am truly sorry about your colleague. My boyfriend lost two very good friends like that last year, and they had just graduated high school a day before. These things always sneak up on us. Perhaps terrorist acts do too, in the grand scheme of things.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #22
empress_han
Pile O'Bones

empress_han has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to empress_han
Silmaril

I'm ok thanks! Same boat as Kath really.....friends are mainly ok..2 hurt, 1 friends colleage killed. It's sickening..
Thanks for everyones hopes and prayers and for caring.
Good call lush!
Han X
Old 07-08-2005, 02:01 PM   #23
Lush
Fair and Cold

Oof. Oof. Oof.

Thanks, Han. I'm so sorry this touched you personally.

My boyfriend takes the Northern line daily whenever he's in London. I'm so glad that we're currently in the Middle East (we feel safer here, go figure).

Anyone else who would like to check in; I think I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate hearing that our British BDer's are safe.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:43 AM   #24
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Can't remember if I ever outed myself on here as a Londoner but anyway, just in case I did, I'm here and I'm fine, and so are my nearest and dearest.

And Mr Saucepanman is right of course. Londoners, and London Downers, will carry on as normal, they knew this was coming, and they can take it: London's been through worse before.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #25
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Silmaril

....they knew this was coming? How so, Lalaith?

Quote:
but most of us jump in our cars without a second thought....
Ohhh, no. Not if you're jumping into a car that my sister's driving you don't. Full scale Vatican blessings and flocks of doves appearing would be needed before I jumped into that car without a second thought...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #26
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The mayor, the chief of police, everyone in authority has been warning us "not if, but when" ever since the Madrid bombings. But as Lush says, this isn't really the venue for discussing it.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #27
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman
....they knew this was coming? How so, Lalaith?
Common sense really. After New York, Bali, Istanbul and Madrid it was really just a matter of time. It is impossible to prevent such a thing happening sooner or later, whatever measures are put in place. The possibility had certainly crossed my mind many a time as I walked through a busy rushhour Waterloo station.

But, as Mith rightly said, the chances of meeting one's end in a car accident, or even in one's own home, are far higher. So the possibility was not (and will not be) something that unduly concerns me.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 AM   #28
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Further to what Sauce has said: A city that has weathered plague and pestilence, The Great Fire, innumerable other fires, regicide, revolt, uprisings, Guy Fawkes and other stormings of Parliament and authority, public executions as public entertainments, torture in the Tower, and the Blitz knows how to take things in its stride. I've been ever so impressed by the phlegmatic tone of the BBC news reports I've heard compared to the slightly hysterical tone of CNN, Fox, etc.

I was thinking the other day of one benefit of the monarchy as I saw a news clip of the Queen's public statement at one of the hospitals. She is a living witness to the Blitz on London during World War II and as such provides a personal testimony of the city's resilience. No short-term democratic leader can provide that.

Good to hear that all are safe. As I'm sure we are discovering, there were people of just about all nations on those trains and the bus. On the front page of my local newspaper today, there are mobile phone images of one of my countrymen as he escaped from the bowels of the Picadilly line at King's Cross and reports of others who survived.

I'm sure there's something here, about the stoicism of the response, that fits in with Tolkien's Sam and Frodo and Aragorn. And by that I don't mean to imply anything about those who planted the bombs.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 AM   #29
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sorry for going even more off topic, but I wanted to say that earlier today I was thinking exactly along the lines of Bethberry's most recent post on the subject. From what I saw on the news (though I admit this may not prove the most reliable of sources), the way that Londoners have been handling this tragedy gave me a new notion of how phlegmatic they can be. I mean, British people have made an art of 'under-reacting', (if that's even a word) and I discover this makes me even more moved by tragedies happening to them.

On topic: I sure am glad everyone who posted here is alright. I admit I too have been thinking of British BD-ers when I heard of this tragedy, and I was hoping there might be such a thread around (thanks to Lush for that).
Old 07-09-2005, 11:05 AM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I think that there is a feeling that if we panic we increase what ever sense of triumph these people have. Ditto if we start to suspect our citizens who happen to have their origins in arabic countries. As the name suggests, terror is their weapon, if we aren't terrified they don't win.

The memories of the Blitz do live on even if second hand. I grew up on my grandmother's horrifice tales of nursing though the Coventry Blitz and my father saying how they would return to school after a raid to find more empty desks...
We are sometimes accused of being a cold people - we aren't - but I think there is a capacity to get on with practical things and save the tears for later.....

On a practical level - I would mention that we must assume that this kind of thing may happen again, and I for one will be making an effort to give blood at the earliest opportunity. Blood stocks are often dangerously low and so I would encourage anyone eligible to think about becoming a donor. I was a regular donor as a student but I am sorry to say I have let it lapse. It doesn't take long and really doesn't hurt. I hope there won't be another terrorist attack but giving an armful will definitely help someone.

Similarly, I plan to update my First Aid Cert....

Old 07-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #31
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
We are sometimes accused of being a cold people - we aren't - but I think there is a capacity to get on with practical things and save the tears for later....
Can I just add that I'm glad that (so far) we haven't had the kind of embarrassing nonsense that followed in the wake of Diana's death - its not 'us' somehow to react in that way. I don't think its that we've grown 'used' to that kind of thing, just that we have our own way of dealing with such things - we feel things but don't have to shout our feeling sfrom the rooftops. Bb's point about the stoicism of Sam & Frodo is perhaps relevant. I'm also reminded of the difference between Theoden's reaction to the death of his son in the books as opposed to the movie. There seemed to be a need in the movie to have Theoden break down in tears in order to show his feelings. I think his grief was shown in the books much more subtly through his actions, which is the way we tend to do it..

(my attempt to keep this 'Tolkien'..... )
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #32
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Davem, I agree with you totally about the film having a certain emotional incontinence which I felt was at odds with the phlegmatic tone of the books (although there are in fact a surprising amount of men weeping in Tolkien...)
but I don't think it's fair to call the reaction to Diana's death "embarrassing nonsense" ...the media reaction, yes, but from what I could see, the ordinary public were actually as restrained and dignified as they paid their respects, at the funeral and elsewhere, as they are being at the moment.

Oh, and I do want to say, with regard to the title of this thread (with the greatest respect to Lush who so kindly and thoughtfully started it) that British and Londoner are not the same thing. One of the most interesting things about this great city is that a very large proportion of people who live here are proud to call themselves Londoners without being British. A point that I wouldn't normally bother bringing up, but it's important right now.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:01 AM   #33
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe

I'd like to add my voice to those thanking Metod for the safety of our London wights. It's good to hear a relatively full chorus from that quarter.

Thanks to Bêthberry for both pointing out to me that there were questions about my own safety and posting on my behalf when my account played me false.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #34
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Nice to see you Dr. Squatter, my old colleague -- both alive and well, and posting at the Downs.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 05:17 PM   #35
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Its good to see that all our Londeners are OK. I have some cousins in London, luckly they weren't in the area at the time. Its scary how quickly we can lose someone we care about.

May I ask what the Crystal Heart incident is??? It must have happened before I joined.

Again, Im glad everyone is ok.

Wilwa

Last edited by wilwarin538; 07-28-2005 at 05:56 PM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:00 PM   #36
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Although he did not post here, Rimbaud has checked in and is still breathing.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #37
Lush
Fair and Cold

Hi guys,

I'm back in Kiev right now, and my Internet access is sporadic at best. I'm really happy that everyone seems alive and well. The recent tragedy in Egypt made me think of more BD-ers living or traveling in the Middle East, but we all know that I can't open a thread every time something bad happens in the world. We just have to take things one day at a time.

When the mods give a whistle, I'll delete this thread as promised.

Take care, my darlings.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:39 AM   #38
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
I never knew there were so many British BDers! I'm in Sheffield some way off London but have family and friends there. Good to hear everyone is fine.

Also I was going to ask what wilwarin538 asked- what is/was the Crystal Heart incident? It sounds like I've missed something important since I've been away.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #39
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Concerning the Crystal Heart "incident", a brief information: Crystal Heart, one of our members, was announced to have passed away by someone using her account. Quite a few members posted their sympathy, only to find out later that it was a practical joke and that - thankfully, of course - she is still alive. Understandably, the inclination to accept such announcements at face value in the future is somewhat lessened.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote