The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Possible Sequels...

Don't know if anyone has started a thread like this already, but here goes anyway.

If Tolkien had written a sequel to LotR, I think that the two blue wizards, Alatar and Pallando, returning from the East and trying to take over Middle Earth would be cool. Not much is know about them, so who's to say they didn't become kings in the East? And, them being wizard's and all, Gandalf would have to come back to fight them!

Do you think that would be good for a sequel? Or do you have a better sequel in mind?
Old 03-04-2005, 04:27 AM   #2
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
I think that'd be a great sequal! Not sure if Gandalf would come back and 'fight' them though... Do they have to 'take over Middle-Earth'? I can see that turning out nearly exactly the same as LotR ... Hmmm, ok, maybe a better sequal would be just about the adventures of the Blue Wizards and what they found. I think that would be much more original and interesting. What if it was kinda like The Sil and describing what they'd learnt about the history and ways of the East? Maybe then a new story could be created afterwards like TH or LotR. Maybe this wouldn't have as much history or depth though. Since ther's no mention of the East in the Sil you couldn't include The Valar or any Maia in the story. Then you'd be left with the problem of there being no 'big evil'. Would the story be as interesting as Lotr without this, or without the feel that there are other hands involved?........

If only Tolkien had written more!!!! I think we should just be greatful for what we have. Its hard not to ponder "what if?" though......
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sheez, we should be glad that LOTR wasn't a bad B movie. Can you imagine the sequel to THAT?!

Oh dear, I can see it all now:

From the makers of Lord of the Rings comes a terrifying tale of magic, love and deceit...

TERMINATOR OF THE RINGS!

Sauron returns from the grave as a floating eyeball-zombie with a taste for hobbit flesh. As Sauron goes on a killing rampage across Hobbiton, Merry and Pippin discover a time-space rift in Frodo's backyard. Upon entering, they discover a realm inhabitited by robo-hobbits. They hire a robot hobbit, called the Hobbinator, to come and fight Sauron in return for Merry's soul. There's a thrilling battle between Sauron and Hobbinator, ending as a dynamite-induced avalance buries them both in snow and dumps them into the sea. They end up in (where else) Japan and spend the rest of their lives happily wreaking havoc alongside Godzilla. Frodo marries Ms. Hobbitton and everyone has a good laugh before they are killed in a sneak attack by zombie Smaug. The end.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I know this is meant to be Mirth but...

Tolkien already had a sequal in mind, so it would almost certainly be that. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but the first chapters can be found in HoME XII.
The sequel is set in Aragorn's children's or grandchildren's age, I think there's some sort of rebellion...

You'll have to go and check
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The sequel to Lord of the Rings - set in 'modern times'. Written by the team who brought you Footballers' Wives.

Lord of the Blings.
Set in the seventh age of Men. DJ Sauron had a nifty piece of ice hand made for him by Guffi; it was so blindin' that everyone fell before it and praised his superior taste in bling. But alas, it was lost in a scrap outside a nightclub one night, and he never found it again. He was so embarrassed that he didn't leave the house for weeks.

It was found one day by a passing chav who kept it hidden until a sneaky little tyke broke into his house one night and nicked it. Unfortunately, he'd left it on the shelf by the back door, and this tyke pinched it by means of 'fishing' with a bent coathanger through the letterbox. He was after the car keys really, but never mind, it was a nice trinket...

Several weeks passed. DJ Sauron meanwhile, had been on the phone to every pawnbrokers, to cash converters, everything he could think of, trying to see of someone had tried to sell his beloved bit of bling. In the end he got his 'crew' out and instructed them to get heavy with anyone they saw toting the bling.

Meanwhile, the little tyke's kindly uncle came round to visit and on seeing the trinket he had suddenly acquired, became alarmed. "This must belong to someone with a lot of money, my lad," he said. "You want to be careful with that. Now, where on earth did you get the money to buy it? Surely it did not come from Argos?" The little tyke shifted uncomfortably and looked at the floor. His kindly uncle knew something was up, and next time he was down at the Seven Stars, the pub behind the High Street, he put some feelers out. Next day he went back to see his nephew and asked to see the trinket.

"Turn it over," he said. And there, only revealed under UV light, was DJ Sauron's postcode (for he had the sense to have his ice laser etched). "Here, you have it, you'll keep it safe," said his nephew. Recoiling with a look of horror, his uncle blanched "No!" he declared. "I'm not being seen out with that. I don't want my nose punching, ta." His nephew said "Well what am I to do with it?" His uncle had considered this. "The only thing you can do, I suppose, is somehow get it to the dumpsters on the council tip. For there the crushers will deal with this and pulverise it into many pieces. But the trip is perilous. You must go past Maccy D's, KFC and right past the very block of flats where DJ Sauron lives. Even now his crew are out looking for someone like you."

And so the journey began...
Old 03-07-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
No fair I only have the first three volumes of HoME!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been meaning to get the rest but my book shop doesn't have them and I hate ordering books and waiting for them!!!!!!!!!

*runs off to all her Tolkien fan friends to see if she can steal their copies*
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'm waiting for the commercial with Ben Stein advertising Clear Eyes... with Sauron the Eye waiting in the background. Come on, I need some of that!

But a sequel would definitely be The Arrival of the Jedi. A time-rip, once again, would open up in Lothlorien. Luke Skywalker and Han Solo would crash-land in the Millenium Falcon, closely followed by Princess Leia in her Rebel ship. Luke would join the Elves in the battle against the orc-stormtroopers...

Too much parody. I quit.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

The successful Lord of the Rings movies have led to marketing the franchise to television. Two shows to come are called Swords of the West which is an action thriller of swords and conquest as the forces of Elessar subdues the south and east. Stars would be Faramir and Eomer, with Aragorn being on sometimes when he rides out or there is council in the city.

The next one is a trashy faire called Desperate Palacewives, which focus on the domestic side of Éowyn and Arwen, and their encounters with the cooks, stablehands, gardeners, each other's husbands, etc.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
lothlorien

lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

HAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!! that really cracked me up Gondor fever ha ha ha!

I can just imagine Boromir storming up to Aragorn and saying "I demand you hand over this throne to the king of disco himself" then he busts a move and Aragorn dies laughing so Boromir gets the throne anyway .
lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #10
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Well thank you,
I enjoy laughs...

Here's another one I would love to see, because, this guy really deserves just ONE line at least!

Radagast makes a trainning video for falconiers/ bird phychic video were people bring in their birds to ask him what's their problems... (You know, like off of animal planet, but he's much cooler than that freaky lady...)

Hope you will agree...

~ Rasputina-listening-believeing Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:25 PM   #11
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Originally, I wanted this to be a serious thread, but I did place it in Mirth, so...Here goes everything.

Sauron, ashamed at his humiliating defeat in Lord of the Rings, decides to star in his own action movie. It would be called The King and Eye. Sauron comes back and seeks revenge on Gondor's King.

The movie flops, and Sauron is completely ruined.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:55 AM   #12
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Istari, Istari Knight

After the fall of Sauron, an ancient pact between Morgoth and Pallando swings into motion. Beneath the Mountains of the East live The Fathers of the Orcs. These are The Moredhil, and they are the Elves that Melkor stole as they awoke beside Cuivienen. They reside with their leader Morwe, in a huge delving inside the Orocarni. Inside this cavern is another great treasure the Melkor took from Valinor. As is told in The Black Book of Melkor, he took a flower from Telperion, then bathing it in the unlight of Ungoliant and putting forth his dark power into the seedlings, he later planted The Dark Tree. From the light of this Tree would be made a Black Silmaril. It is Pallandos task to gather The rods of Three Wizards (His own, Radagasts and Alatars), The Ring of Saruman and find the Silmaril that Maglor threw into the sea. The reason for all this, to secure the release of Melkor Lord of Arda, and fight The Dagor Dagorath.

If we treat Tolkien as The Translater he calls himself, then it is the Elvish version of history he is passing on to us, lets pretend there is a Middle-Earth version of the Dead Sea scrolls, written by the other side. Then we see that Melkor knew of his captivity and expulsion, and left behind a few insurance policies to help him escape. The first in the form of Sauron failed, so in comes someone else, why not a Blue Wizard. Melkor has to escape for The Dagor Dagorath to take place. Tolkien states "When Melkor shall come again". I wrote a large piece of this for myself and my friends, I never finished it because I started work on The Lord of the Grins (A parody that will be released sometime soon).
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:32 AM   #13
Herenya
Newly Deceased

Herenya has just left Hobbiton.
It seems unwise of me to break the silence that has been kept in this thread for more than sixteen years, given the fact that the story I would like to share isn't even a sequel, as the title of this thread suggests. Although the story in question that I accidentally came up with turned out to be not a sequel at all, but a prequel, I hope there is a chance that submission of that story to this thread might be withstood.

In hope to avoid submitting an off-topic post, I searched on the forum for a long time, but I could not find a suitable thread intended specifically for discussions of prequels. Moreover, for some reason I'm feeling too reluctant to create a separate thread dedicated specifically for that story. Thus I came to the conclusion that the only solution available to me was to try to revive this thread.

I've decided that although my writing skills are not excellent, I should nevertheless try to save that story from complete oblivion publishing it on the web, in case there's actually a faint chance for it to be of any value to someone else. However, it seems to me that there is absolutely nothing special about it and if it can be of interest, then only for those who, for some reason, pay special attention to that period of time and those regions within which the events of the story took place - the last years of the existence of Arthedain; the northern regions of Middle-earth - Eriador and Rhovanion.

I was about to spend the next few weeks trying to compose a detailed summary of the story I was talking about in order to post it to this thread. However, I finally realized I couldn't afford to do that without the community's permission. Leaving aside the fact that the story that I composed is actually for a prequel and not for a sequel, I'm really confused by the fact that it could possibly have commercial value. I can easily imagine how it could be used as a plot for a novel or perhaps for a video game.

My concern is, whether publication of such a document would be an unwise decision that could have undesirable consequences for this place? Besides that, I'm wondering how would the ultimate fate of this thread alter if it suddenly got a very long post describing that story, which likely wouldn't seem to be pleasant to read. (Since my first language is not English, and thus I'm not really accustomed to speaking English.)

I would not mind if someone would use that story - the result of numerous executions of the brainstorming routine that I've performed over the past few years - in a commercial or other context, if there is anyone who could be interested in this. However, the outcome of all those attempts to figure out what the story for a sequel could be seems to be modest, and also, I should repeat, that story turned out to be a prequel, not a sequel.

Nevertheless, it may be worth to mention that the story does contain a number of details that reveal a few of my ideas about what the future of Arda and the Reunited Kingdom could have been in the Fourth and even in the Fifth Age. But I'm not sure that these ideas would be enough to compose a script for a sequel based on them.

Thankfully, after several attempts to find logical inconsistencies in that story relative to the original sources, I could not find such inconsistencies. I believe that its plot is passable from beginning to end and there are no logical contradictions or ambiguities visible from my point of view.

So, I hope that for this reason that story can get a chance to be embodied in a more permanent form than just my memories of it. However, unfotrunately, I doubt that I personally will have the opportunity to try to complete this creative project on my own.

So I would like to ask for an advice on whether posting a very long post describing that story to this thread would be harmless to it? Maybe I should refrain from doing this and venture to create a separate new thread intended for discussions of possible prequels? Or maybe I should cancel my current intentions to post that story on this forum?

If I do not get the community's permission to post the story for a prequel that I composed to this or another thread, I will probably try to find another forum where I would be allowed to do this. However, I really hope that I may have a chance to get the permission and possibly additional instructions on how to safely post that story.

Last edited by Herenya; 12-19-2022 at 05:28 AM. Reason: I know this post was a mistake but it is still necessary to fix some typos
Herenya is offline   Reply With Quote