The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
Lily

Lily has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lily
Shield So, were the Ringwraiths cool or what!

I thought the Ringwraiths were the coolest thing when I saw the movie and when I heard them being described in the book! Their sound was awsome! Their clothes (if you want to call them clothes) were freaky yet cool! Their horses were the scariest thing I ever saw (not really but they were still scary). I just loved how they did them. Especially the Wraiths on Wings! They were so cool and so scary! Now this is my opinion what's yours? (also I would like to hear comments about the cartoon Ringwraiths, my opinion they were very werid and a little funny.)
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 04:58 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The cartoon wraiths were... well, I can't remember, but I'm sure they were as amusing as the other characters <P>The wraiths were superb! I loved the costumes and there were some great shots of them just stood still astride their horses. But their shrieking... *shudders* it genuinely terrified me! Which is a good sign, I suppose, as PJ has obviously portrayed them well if they can really scare people.<BR>The wraiths on wings just made me laugh. I definitely preferred the horses. (And for some reason, in my head the wraiths are riding those little lawn mowers that you drive around on...)
Old 07-02-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The Ringwraiths were awesome!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 10:38 AM   #4
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ringwraiths on lawnmowers would be scary! They could mow you down in a second. *cackle cackle* Sorry...pun.<P>The live action Nazgul were so cool. The actors and actresses playing them had to wear 50 metres of black robes! I loved the way their armour was evil-looking. It looked as if you would touch it and it would cut your hand.<P>Now, the cartoon Nazgul...when I first saw the cartoon of LotR, I must say that they freaked me out. Their walk was freaky! A sort of stumbling, dragging, limping walk. But after I saw the whole movie, I started laughing because of everything else so the scaryness of the Nazgul went away. When they were "uncloaked", so to speak, (I'm thinking of Bakshi here) they looked half live action and half cartoon. It was weird.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #5
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Wraiths were very well done. <BR>Their screams were rather frightening *feels a chill go through spine* <P>But they were very believable.

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #6
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The cartoon wraiths were funny. They seemed to walk with a limp and were incapable of contolling their horses.<BR>The film wraiths were much better. The black riders were pretty terrifying. You could imagine them riding up behind you on a dark night...<BR>But I didn't like the dragons as much. To me they just looked like spiked worms. They weren't terrible, but not brilliant. But some people think their great. Oh well, to each his (or her) own. But I did like Gollums 'wraiths with wings' comment!
Old 07-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #7
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

The Ringwraiths were very cool. They didn't creep and sniff and smell around the way I imagined them doing in the book, but they <i>looked</i> great. They were very scary and seemed like a genuine threat.<BR>I also thought the glimpse Frodo had of them when he had the Ring on was right on - they looked very kingly and very dead.<BR>It took me a bit to get used to the sounds they make in the movie, though.<BR>My first vision of the Wraiths was formed by Bakshi's movie (my copy of LOTR had a movie still of the Riders on it - actually it looked pretty good). This movie takes that look and makes it even better. But my sense of how they should sound was heavily influenced by the BBC radio play - because that was my first exposure to anything LOTR. So, the Wraiths weren't whistley enough, and Viggo-Aragorn's voice was too high pitched, and small things like that seemed wrong the first time I saw the movie.<BR>Now, however, I'm almost used to that weird scream the Wraiths do, and Viggo seems just right (most of the time - at least he doesn't lisp like Robert Thith-ith--the-thword-that-wath-broken Stephens).
Old 07-03-2003, 03:30 PM   #8
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I liked how PJ didn't give the wraiths those corny red eyes like the cartoon wraiths had. Also, I liked how the Ringwraiths were something that you could really be able to have nightmares about, unlike the ones made by Bakshi *laughs at Bakshi's sad attempt at Ringwraiths*.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:47 PM   #9
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I can scream like a ringwraith...<P>They were very well done. They had to be, considering the budget of the movies and the quality of the other characters. I did think that the needed to do more crawling about and sniffing though. The things that the wraiths fly on weren't creepy enough. I always thought they would look more, well, slightly dead. They're skin was too smooth.<P>When my little brother first saw FotR, he thought the wraiths were singing. <p>[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Duncariel ]
Old 07-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #10
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Were the wraiths supposed to crawl and sniff? I pictured them as freakish, ghostly spirits on horses, like in the movies.

Crickhollow
Old 07-29-2003, 12:03 AM   #11
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought they were absolutely terrifying. But they did need to do more sniffing, although all of the appropriate parts for this were more or less cut out of the movie: before Gildor, on the way to the Old Forest, etc. Perhaps their voices could have been less hissing, too. It seemed to me that they spoke semi-normally, just with a creepy edge, in the books.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #12
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

They were about the freakiest thing I've seen. Shudder. I think they were protrayed (or whatever) very well, although I was under the impression after reading the books that they could actually speak. I dunno, but they are really cool anyways.
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:43 PM   #13
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> although I was under the impression after reading the books that they could actually speak. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>They speak in the movies, though admittedly it's kept to a minimum.<P>"Shire? Baggins?"<P>and<P>"Give up the halfling she-elf." <P>H.C.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #14
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the Nazgul, my absolute favourite scene in FOTR is on Weathertop when the NAzgul are converging on the fellowship, the way they hold their swords and then go into an attack posture...its so eerie and beautiful. THe screetches frightened me the first time i heard them. <P>I liked how they did the NAzgul voices. I'm curious how they're gonna do the Lord of Morgul. I love the BBC LOTR (i still think its the best adaptation of any of Tolkein's work) but i'm not sure i like how they portrayed the Lord of the NAzgul as just having a regular voice (though it is cool to hear him say "I am the Lord of the NAzgul, servant of Sauron the GReat!!) <P>I just rented the animated LOTR the other night, out of curiosity and didn't really like the Nazgul, i didn't find them as frightning. I actually thing the animated LOTR is incredibly horribly done, no attention to detail (all the prononciations for Balin, Saruman, Sauron, Celeborn, Theoden, etc are comlpetely wrong.), the animation itself is of very ppor quality...., everything about that film is mediocre at best.
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #15
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

The Ringwraiths were awesome! <P>I actually imagined those screams just as they were, so the only reason they were a bit freaky was because the first time I heard them, I was sure it was my imagination.

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 06:21 PM   #16
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

The Nazgul were my absolute favourite things in the movie! I thought the screeching noise they did was wonderfully scary, but their speaking voices were much too high-pitched. Who's going to be frightened by a Ringwraith who sounds like he's on helium?
Old 08-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #17
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I liked the Nazgul because, as you said leowen, they give you a wonderful scared feeling. I love the thrill and chills that run done my spine when they scream! <P>Hmmmm..I wonder how they got that scream to such a high key!

Crickhollow
Old 08-02-2003, 02:55 PM   #18
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I wonder how they got that scream to such a high key!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hmmm... Mariah Carey sound familiar?

Will you pay attention?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:41 AM   #19
Fedaeglin
Pile O'Bones

Fedaeglin has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I like their swords. They are SHINY!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #20
Marroc Underhill
Haunting Spirit

Marroc Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Ya, I like the Sword of the Witch King.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:37 AM   #21
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

The Ringwraiths were cool but I was a bit disappointed 'cause I wasn't scared when I saw them on screen.Basically their clothes are awesome and their screaming is well done (cheers to that man -whose name I can't remember- who did the screaming to the movie!).They move smoothly, they kind of float which should be scary and even their horses look evil...but I just can't feel "the chill going through spine"<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>The things that the wraiths fly on weren't creepy enough. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I agree! They looked so "hi! I'm a computer animation"-like if you know what I mean.<P>I haven't seen the cartoon version of LotR but just some screen captures - and I'm very happy thet I haven't seen more!It reminds me of the Smurffs (do you spell it that way?) <p>[ August 10, 2003: Message edited by: dancing spawn of ungoliant ]
Old 08-12-2003, 12:34 PM   #22
Cleansed Curunir
Newly Deceased

Cleansed Curunir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

They were really creepy. I get a shiver everytime I see them.
Cleansed Curunir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:06 PM   #23
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought they were fine. Some people think they look like over-sized worms with wings, but that's just them. I didn't really care that they weren't freaky, 'cause their horsees weren't freaky either. I loved the way the 'winged beasts' were introduced, though. At first you think the Blackrider is just on a wimpy horse (especially if you're a non-book reader), & then it turns out that he's flying on this gigantic thing! That was pretty cool.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:28 PM   #24
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Yeah, they were awesome. That has to be one of my favourite scenes.

Will you pay attention?