The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-13-2003, 10:22 PM   #1
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Gandalfs clothing: Made by Galadriel?

We know that Gandalf went to Lothlorien after he came back from wherever the place he went to after he fought the Balrog...

And then, we see him clad in white clothing, with a new staff...

My question is... Did Galadriel made him such clothing? The shining white of Gandalfs clothes remind me of the shining white of Galadriels clothing...

And could she have taken a part in creating a new staff for Gandalf? We know that the staff irradiates some kind of light... Making me think that even Galadriel used the power of Nenya to create a better staff for Gandalf...

What do you think? All of this knowing the great respect and fondness that Galadriel had over Olorin...
Old 09-14-2003, 03:12 AM   #2
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

What an interesting thought. It makes even sence. Gandalf had no clothes when he came to Lorien and since Galadriel had clothed the fellowship why wouldn't she have clothed Gandalf. But don't know about the staff...
Old 09-14-2003, 08:41 AM   #3
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why not about the staff? I presume that if Galadriel gave him clothing, then she gave him his staff too...

And when doing it, she could have possibly used the White Ring... As she did when she made Frodo's phial, she used the power of her ring to make a greater object. Gandalfs staff and Frodos phial have a similar effect: shining light...
Old 09-14-2003, 09:34 PM   #4
Voralphion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voralphion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes it is true that Galadriel gave Gandalf new clothes, but he certainly didn't her help in creating a new staff, he was more powerful than her. Also, I don't believe that there was inate power in the staff but it was just used by Gandalf to channel his own power through. The fact that his staff emitted light in Moria (he didn't emit power through his staff after that) was because he used his own power to create the light, it had nothing to do woth the particular staff, he probably could have been able to do it with a twig if he wanted.
Were mirrored in his silver shield
Voralphion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 05:56 PM   #5
Tinuviel Took
Wight

Tinuviel Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's a very interesting thought, Volaphion. I've always assumed that the Valar gave the staffs to the Wizards, that this was the power allowed them to change the corse of history and fight Sauron. With your theory they wouldn't have given them anything but their blessing and orders and the power is all the maiar's who are call wizards.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe, Voralphion, that the staff was in fact a source of power for the Istari and was (logically) bequeathed upon them by the Valar or made by the Istari themselves before departing from Valinor. Of course, it may be that there is no textual support either way, but I tend to believe the above opinion as the staff of Gandalf always struck me as something of more significance than a walking stick or a device of Elven craft in Gandalf's deeds.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

I think the staff must have something to do with Gandalf's power. Look at the way he argued to keep it when he got to Edoras, instead of turning it over before going in to see Theoden. He urged Aragorn to give over Anduril, yet he wouldn't give over his staff. I think it was more than that he was just too fond of it.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:02 PM   #8
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Galadriel weaving a wonderful raiment for Gandalf makes sense, after all, it was she who made the clothing she gave to the ringbearer and his companions when they passed Lothlorien after the fall of Gandalf in the Bridge of Kazhad-dum. It just tells us that she was capable of doing meager work even if she was the highest ranking noble among the eldar of beleriand. Anyway, there's doubt on the subject that she helped create Gandalf's staff since it did possess great powers beyond the might of the Elves. Gandalf himself must have forged it since he was a Maia, a divine being who shared the power of the Great Gods of the west, and one who would be capable of bringing forth such magic to a thing made by the hands. I think if Galadriel did give some of her skills to the staff she wouldn't be powerful enough to shield her kingdom against the raid of Sauron's beasts since most of her ability is given forth...
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote