The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #1321
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I've decided to start.

You have walked 6 miles.
You have passed Bywater (1).
You are only 1 miles from Last View of Hobbiton.
You still have 452 miles to Rivendell.

Congrats to all of you who have made it so far!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #1322
Anorial
Wight

Location: Walking with Frodo and Sam back to Rivendell! (2869 miles)
Anorial has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Welcome Firefoot!

Nice to see someone else still in the Shire I'm just down the road

I like your name...very appropriate for the journey
Anorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #1323
Anorial
Wight

Boots Making progress

You have walked 24 miles.
You have passed Green Hill Country (18).
You are only 3 miles from Black Rider Stopping Place.
You still have 434 miles to Rivendell.

Such a gorgeous day....trucking along. So far so good with the hip. Very hard not to get Easter chocolate for the journey! All on sale. Instead, hearty Shire-food

Cheers, Anorial
Old 04-11-2004, 05:40 AM   #1324
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Maybe I should start too. Does anybody know how many kilometers there is in a mile?
Old 04-11-2004, 06:44 AM   #1325
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thorongil, there are approximately 1.6 kilometers to a mile, so if you walk 16 kilometers, you have gone 10 miles (8 km = 5 miles for a shorter distance).
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:26 AM   #1326
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Thanks. I better start walking then.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #1327
Anorial
Wight

Boots Welcome

Hi Thorongil, Welcome to the walk!

My favorite site for the ol' kilometer/mile translation is: http://www.runnersweb.com/running/km_miles.html

I've recently acquired Excel so I've got it all auto-calculating now

To change kilometers to miles, multiply by 0.6214.

For myself:
You have walked 26 miles.
You are only 1 miles from Black Rider Stopping Place.
You still have 432 miles to Rivendell.

It's going to be fun to get to the Black Rider Stopping Place....living in the big city, exactly one mile from my home is a 4-way stop and "get off the road!" is all too likely to become a reality lol.

Happy Easter y'all!
Old 04-11-2004, 05:43 PM   #1328
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatáriël Lossëhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Taming of Sméagol

We have been trudging through these seemingly endless hills since we parted from the Company, unable to find a way down. The weather has been cold and damp and, since we dare not light a fire, my two small companions cannot seem to stay warm. At night, the two not on watch huddle together for warmth. I would take all of the watches, but they insist on sharing this task.

We have had to journey north and east along the Emyn Muil seeking a path to the lower ground. Late yesterday, we found a slope we could manage with the aid of the rope Sam brought from Lórien. But once down, the hobbits were too exhausted to travel further, and we sheltered next to a boulder not too far from where we descended.

I took first watch but before either Frodo or Sam could fall asleep, we discovered Gollum creeping down the cliff-face. We had seen no sign of him over the past few days, although I had at times fancied I could hear the sounds of someone following us. And there he was...

We were able to capture him, although the wretch gave Sam quite a nasty bite before it was over. We had three choices: to kill him outright; to tie him up and leave him to die in the wilderness; or to take him with us. Sam and I felt it was too dangerous to take him with us, and I would have slain him on the spot, but Frodo stayed my hand.

I continue to be amazed by the determination, the courage, and the integrity of these small folk and my admiration for the Ringbearer daily increases. That he can show pity and mercy to such a creature as Gollum--when I would not--shames me. Frodo has accepted Gollum as our guide, and made him swear by the Ring to help us and not betray us. I will abide by his decision, but I do not trust this creature--I will be watching him! If he betrays Frodo, even Sauron cannot save him from my vengence.

--------------------

"No," said Frodo. "If we kill him, we must kill him outright. But we can't do that, not as things are. Poor wretch! He has done us no harm."

"Oh hasn't he!" said Sam rubbing his shoulder. "Anyway he meant to, and he means to, I'll warrant. Throttle us in our sleep, that's his plan."

"I daresay," said Frodo. "But what he means to do is another matter." He paused for a while in thought. Gollum lay still, but stopped whimpering. Sam stood glowering over him.

It seemed to Frodo then that he heard, quite plainly but far off, voices out of the past:

What a pity Bilbo did not stab the vile creature, when he had a chance!

Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy: not to strike without need.

I do not feel any pity for Gollum. He deserves death.

Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give that to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.

"Very well," he answered aloud, lowering his sword. "But still I am afraid. And yet, as you see, I will not touch the creature. For now that I see him, I do pity him."

Last edited by Alatáriël Lossëhelin; 04-11-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Alatáriël Lossëhelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #1329
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Making progress

You have walked 27 miles.
You have reached Black Rider Stopping Place (27).
It is 19 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 431 miles to Rivendell.

We passed Anorial today, though she will probably soon pass us again, being that we are now resting and she is not far behind. The Black Rider gave us quite a scare; we decided not to go any farther today.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 PM   #1330
Anorial
Wight

Boots Hey Firefoot!

Good work! Man, you're just motoring along! Nope, I'm sitting at 30 miles and though I'm dying to put on more mileage tonight, I think it would be prudent to not walk today. My hip joint is not doing very well at all and since I went from (on a guess) 10 miles in a week to 30 miles in a week (breaking the ol' increase by 10% rule).....well, I'm hoping I haven't screwed myself.

All that stuff they say about the unforgiving body when you're over 30 is so annoyingly true! Anyway, if you keep on trekking down the road, you might find me just in the Woody End Woods standing in the middle of the road or under a tree doing yoga. Probably under a tree....that Black Rider was scary so hopefully I learned that lesson well enough (stay off the road!). I can see the ashes from Frodo and Sam's supper fire....if you stop to say hi, I'll point it out to you.

Cheers!
Anorial
Old 04-14-2004, 10:05 AM   #1331
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I walked my 1000th mile today!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 04-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #1332
Anorial
Wight

Boots Holy Moly!!

Good going, Estelyn!! Where does that place you on the map?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:00 AM   #1333
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, if the Elves had given me a boat too, I could be leisurely floating down the Anduin; but no - I have to trudge alongside the river! Oh, and like Rome, the Walk to Rivendell doesn't happen in one day - I've been counting my miles for a little over a year now.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:28 AM   #1334
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Deep in Lorien

Good day, all! I haven't checked in in awhile, mainly because I've had a bunch of orcs, er, relatives to deal with for awhile, and unfortunately, my walk has slowed down a bit. (They're not orcs, really! They're really very nice Uruk-Hai..oh! did I say that out loud?) Anyway, I have been walking VERY slowly across the Nimrodel Rope Bridge and am now deep inside the realm of Lorien. Perhaps I just had to slow down to enjoy the view! I am not yet to Cerin Amroth and I have a feeling that place will haunt me in fact even more than in anticipation.

Quote:
All that stuff they say about the unforgiving body when you're over 30 is so annoyingly true!
I must second that assertion, Anorial and also welcome you to the Walk! You seem to be going about it in a much more intelligent and informed manner than I have (read: my preparations were to buy a new pair of shoes and stretch before walking, but fortunately, I have stretched thoroughly regularly (more or less) since I was 17--at 38, that's saying something!) Somehow, I think it has to do with all the "slings and arrows" that beset one by the time your 30's roll around. If it hadn't been for two car accidents and a lifting accident, all occuring after age 30, well...who knows?

Anyway, in unconscious or perhaps serendipitous celebration of my immersion in the faerie realm of Lorien, I got to play Galadriel yesterday! My husband's 10 year old cousin is obsessed with Lord of the Rings, mainly with action figures and other memorabilia/toys, though. I have been showing him my collection slowly since he arrived and he has coveted my Burger King Bilbo figure most of all (it is overnighting it with him as I write). He arrived wearing around his neck an oversized plastic, light-up One Ring, which I determined to be the Ring of Sauron, since he also had a huge armored finger to go with it at one time.

Yesterday, he sent the One Ring to me with a message that I should have it. I actually took it on my Walk and then returned to him and solemnly as I could, told him this was his duty, his task, and as much as I desired the One Ring, I couldn't accept it from him. I even said "This task is for you alone, Frodo Baggins." He looked at me earnestly and said, "OK. You mean it?" He looked kind of pleased though. I don't think he really meant to give me the One Ring. I think he had it in mind that I'd trade him Bilbo for it. But that was not to be! It was a real Galadriel moment, especially since he was about the right size proportionately to be Frodo to my Galadriel, if Galadriel was 5'6" and carried Sting!

Checking in from 879 miles down the Road that goes Ever On...Lyta signs off for now!

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. Happy 1000th, Estelyn! If I stand on a hill and use powerful binoculars, uh, Elvish glasses, I fancy I can almost see you braving the shorelines along the Anduin! I really hope there's a boat for me, as my poor back could use a rest! (And maybe that long anticipated foot rub from Boromir! )
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”

Last edited by Lyta_Underhill; 04-16-2004 at 06:37 AM.
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 02:38 PM   #1335
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Estelyn, congratulations on your 1000th mile. That's a great accomplishment.

I haven't been walking (or posting) regularly since January but I've finally made it to 710 miles. Just past the Crabain attack.

BlingBling and I had a great experience which reminded us of the attack not long ago. We were out walking in the late evening and the set of trees across the road were filled with black birds. As we walked past they took off and wheeled around in the sky over us. It was just like a huge black cloud!

We both yelled crabain attack!! at the same time. I still smile about it when I think of it.

We are going to walk again tonight. It's a perfect Spring day here and I can't wait to get outside.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:17 AM   #1336
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Congrats, Estelyn!

We've walked 49 miles. Those Elves that were supposed to be leading us to Woodhall took a wrong turn somewhere. They assured us that they weren't lost but Sam, Pippin, and I didn't really believe that. We finally made it, which was assuring, but we were quite worn out when we got there.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #1337
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril In the Darkness of the Marshes

Quote:
(They're not orcs, really! They're really very nice Uruk-Hai..oh! did I say that out loud?) Anyway, I have been walking VERY slowly across the Nimrodel Rope Bridge and am now deep inside the realm of Lorien.
Lyta: Glad to see you're walking again. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one related to Uruk-Hai! Careful on that rope bridge...hold on to Legolas! (Boromir is planning on giving you that massage/foot rub when you reach Caras Galadhon. Merry & Pippin have volunteered their laps... )

Quote:
All that stuff they say about the unforgiving body when you're over 30 is so annoyingly true!
Anorial: Welcome to the Walk! The body becomes even more unforgiving after 50. Like Lyta says, stretching and reallllly good shoes are crucial. But keep going...take care of that hip, though...and you'll be in Rivendell before you know it!

Quote:
My husband's 10 year old cousin is obsessed with Lord of the Rings, mainly with action figures and other memorabilia/toys, though. I have been showing him my collection slowly since he arrived and he has coveted my Burger King Bilbo figure most of all.
Lyta: My grandchildren are also obsessed with LotR. They love my action figures and swords. I'll let them wear Sting in its scabbard around my house, and they think they're just too cool for color tv!

Congratulations on that 1000th mile, Estelyn!! Maybe Lyta can have Haldir meet you with a boat??

We have reached the Dead Marshes, and the stench is overwhelming. A perfect place for the wretch Sam calls "Stinker". I tried to persuade Frodo that we should attempt to pass around these fens, but he is convinced that this Gollum creature can lead us through quickly. I certainly hope so, as this place is much worse than the Midgewater Marshes...

--------------------

The hobbits were now wholly in the hands of Gollum...They could, if they had known the lands, with some delay have retraced their steps a little, and then turning east have come round over hard roads to the bare plain of Dagorlad: the field of the ancient battle before the gates of Mordor...

"How do we shape our course now, Sméagol?" asked Frodo. "Must we cross these evil-smelling fens?"

..."Follow Sméagol! He can take you through the marshes, through the mists, nice thick mists. Follow Sméagol very carefully, and you may go a long way, quite a long way, before He catches you, yes perhaps."

It was already day, a windless and sullen morning, and the marsh-reeks lay in heavy banks. No sun pierced the low clouded sky, and Gollum seemed anxious to continue the journey at once. So after a brief rest they set out again and were soon lost in a shadowy silent world, cut off from all view of the lands about, either the hills that they had left or the mountains that they sought. They went slowly in single file: Gollum, Sam, Frodo
(& Alatáriël).
Old 04-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #1338
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

Hello again everyone! I haven't checked in here for a while, because I've been caught up with other things.

Our party has finally reached Cerin Amroth! What a glorious sight in the evening. Haldir tells us it but ten miles to Caras Galadon!

You have walked 912 miles.
You have reached Cerin Amroth (912).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 10 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

Oh, and congratulations Esty! Save a boat for me, will you? I'll meet you eventually.

~Fëa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #1339
Anorial
Wight

Boots Greetings from the Road

Estelyn: Well, you're helping beat a clear path for the rest of us along the Anduin. I thought I might swim some of mine but that's a ways from now. I love that this goal (I plan to walk to Mordor and back again) is such a large goal that it is a 1-2 or even 3 years long! Nothing in the past has provided me with such an exciting, reachable and long-term goal. Yay! lol

Lyta: Thank you for the welcome. I loved your "got to play Galadriel" story *claps hands in delight* What a treat! Re: a "foot rub from Boromir"...it's a good thing there appear to be many copies of Striders, Boromirs, Faramirs et al to go around! otherwise there might be brawling with a certain amount of hair-pulling!

Faen: Another great LotR-meets-"real"-life story. *claps hands again*

Ala...woo! many accents...may I call you Ala? Thank you for the welcome Always great to walk in such good and open-armed company.

Walking proceeds very slowly (in my opinion). Physio-man has forbidden me to walk beyond when my hip starts to fail which is just after 30 minutes. Most times I feel like someone has been punching me in the hip and butt areas which I totally could live with if I knew it meant I was getting better. I've no idea. Anyway, I continue to traipse along and am delighted that eventually I'll get out of the Shire

Cheers and wishes for sturdy boots for you all,
Anorial

Last edited by Anorial; 04-25-2004 at 11:30 AM. Reason: typos :)
Anorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 06:08 PM   #1340
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril At the Black Gate

Quote:
I love that this goal (I plan to walk to Mordor and back again) is such a large goal that it is a 1-2 or even 3 years long! Nothing in the past has provided me with such an exciting, reachable and long-term goal. Yay! lol

Ala...woo! many accents...may I call you Ala? Thank you for the welcome Always great to walk in such good and open-armed company.

I continue to traipse along and am delighted that eventually I'll get out of the Shire.
Anorial: I started this walk just over a year ago, and for the longest time felt that I would never catch up. It seemed to take me weeks and weeks to make it out of the Shire. My current goal is to reach Mt. Doom by Frodo's birthday this September. Of course, then we'll have to travel back to Bag End...

Feel free to call me Ala...I go by many different names. Not so many as Aragorn or even Gandalf, but I'll answer to Ala, Alatáriël, Alcmenelwen, Hildigard, or even "über geek".

We have passed through the Dead Marshes and traversed the barren Nomans-land. I fear the Dark Lord may sense our presence, as the winged terror has overtaken us several times over the past few days. We are now come to the Morannon, the gate into the Black Land, and possibly the end of our journey. It is impossible to enter Mordor here, unless it be as prisoners. Sméagol says there is another way over the mountains further south, and the Ringbearer has agreed to follow him once again. I dislike and mistrust this wretched creature--even though we would not have made it through the Marshes without him--and I will not abandon Frodo and Sam to his care. We will journey south with him, but I will be on my guard.

--------------------
"Is it not guarded?" Frodo repeated.

"Yes, yes, perhaps. No safe places in this country," said Gollum sulkily. "No safe places. But master must try it or go home. No other way." They could not get him to say more. The name of the perilous place and the high pass he could not tell, or would not.

Its name was Cirith Ungol, a name of dreadful rumour. Aragorn could perhaps have told them that name and its significance; Gandalf would have warned them. But they were alone, and Aragorn was far away, and Gandalf stood amid the ruin of Isengard and strove with Saruman, delayed by treason. Yet even as he spoke his last words to Saruman, and the
palantír crashed in fire upon the steps of Orthanc, his thought was ever upon Frodo and Samwise, over the long leagues his mind sought for them in hope and pity.

Maybe Frodo felt it, not knowing it, as he had upon Amon Hen, even though he believed that Gandalf was gone, gone for ever into the shadow in Moria far away. He sat upon the ground for a long while, silent, his head bowed, striving to recall all that Gandalf had said to him. But for this choice he could recall no counsel. Indeed Gandalf's guidance had been taken from them too soon, too soon, while the Dark Land was still very far away. How they should enter it at the last Gandalf had not said. Perhaps he could not say. Into the stronghold of the Enemy in the North, into Dol Guldur, he had once ventured. But into Mordor, to the Mountain of Fire and to Barad-dûr, since the Dark Lord rose in power again, had he ever journeyed there? Frodo did not think so. And here he was a little halfling from the Shire, a simple hobbit of the quiet countryside, expected to find a way where the great ones could not go, or dared not go. It was an evil fate. But he had taken it on himself in his own sitting-room in the far-off spring of another year, so remote now that it was like a chapter in a story of the world's youth, when the Trees of Silver and Gold were still in bloom. This was an evil choice. Which way should he choose? And if both led to terror and death, what good lay in choice?

...Frodo stood up..."I wish we had a thousand oliphaunts with Gandalf on a white one at their head," he said. "Then we'd break a way into this evil land, perhaps. But we've not; just our own tired legs, that's all. Well, Sméagol, the third turn may turn the best. I will come with you."
Old 04-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #1341
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Crawling to Lothlorien

Quote:
Congratulations on that 1000th mile, Estelyn!! Maybe Lyta can have Haldir meet you with a boat??
I asked Haldir about the boats, and, well, he told me I wasn't supposed to know about them yet! (but he winked at me, too, so that could be a good sign!)

Anyway, I've been crawling to Lothlorien, with barely enough time to make a frantically fast walk on some days, no walk at all on others. I gather a mile or so in my workday, but not much more. I think I've doubled my walking speed, just so I can get there sometime this century! At last, I have achieved the summit of Cerin Amroth! I lay down under the great central mallorn tree in my mind and gazed up through the painted leaves up to the gleaming flet and thought about nothing...

Quote:
Physio-man has forbidden me to walk beyond when my hip starts to fail which is just after 30 minutes. Most times I feel like someone has been punching me in the hip and butt areas which I totally could live with if I knew it meant I was getting better.
Ouch! That sounds a lot like my lower back and hip area after a couple of accidents and a long period of suffering! I have to wear what I call a 'squeezer' to support my back most of the time when walking. If only my husband, aka, the Witch King were in as good shape, I'd have a walking companion, but he's not quite up to my half-running pace, alas! (At least that means he won't catch THIS hobbit anytime soon!)

Quote:
Feel free to call me Ala...I go by many different names. Not so many as Aragorn or even Gandalf, but I'll answer to Ala, Alatáriël, Alcmenelwen, Hildigard, or even "über geek".
And don't forget, the Queen of the Geeks!

Cheers!
Lyta Wingfoot, more than ready for a Gondorian foot massage with hobbit pillows!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 04-29-2004, 11:54 AM   #1342
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Hi, fellow Walkers! I'm away from home, vacationing and still walking, of course! Most of it is definitely hobbit-style, barefoot on the beach. Just imagine Frodo on the white shores of Valinor, then you get the idea! I'll be back in the humdrum of daily life soon enough...
Old 04-30-2004, 06:18 PM   #1343
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

May Eve in Caras Galadhon...

At last I have made it and now look upon the great city of the Galadhrim... Caras Galadhon! (In fact, I've been running around the Caras Galadhon 'running track' for over a mile...and boy am I tired!) I think I'll rest in the green, gold and silver land for a little bit, as I've about ruined myself to get here! By the way, Estelyn, did Haldir find you with that boat yet? I know I can't go anywhere for awhile unless it is flat on my back in a boat! And I didn't think to ask you or Alatariel whether you had looked into the mirror of Galadriel whilst there! I'm not sure if I will or not; perhaps I'll just have a stretch in the trees...

The day was a perfect one for reaching this goal as well; gloomy but tinged with a golden light that made all things more beautiful than I'll probably remember them later! But, alas, I am weary and the evening is full of things to do, so I bid you farewell for now!

Cheers!
Lyta (whose wings fell off her feet)
Old 05-02-2004, 10:50 PM   #1344
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril Ithilien--the garden of Gondor

Quote:
If only my husband, aka, the Witch King were in as good shape, I'd have a walking companion, but he's not quite up to my half-running pace, alas! (At least that means he won't catch THIS hobbit anytime soon!)
Lyta: It's a shame we don't live closer together, then we'd both have a walking partner. I log most of my miles during the day, walking down in the Mines of Moria (aka the basement/file storage bays). I've convinced a friend to walk with me several afternoons a week, but she's definitely NOT a LotR fan, and won't let me carry Sting.

Quote:
Lyta Wingfoot, more than ready for a Gondorian foot massage with hobbit pillows!
I know those boys have been waiting for you....

Quote:
At last I have made it and now look upon the great city of the Galadhrim... Caras Galadhon! .... And I didn't think to ask you or Alatariel whether you had looked into the mirror of Galadriel whilst there!
I did not look into the Mirror, as the Galadhrim had scheduled that LotR marathon for our Company when we arrived in December, and I was much too busy watching the films and relaxing in the hot tub.

Quote:
Lyta (whose wings fell off her feet)
Don't worry...your feet (and your back) will feel SOOOOOO much better when Boromir, Merry & Pippin get finished with you. But be sure to have Haldir get you that boat (and plenty of Elvish sunscreen)--it's muchmuchmuchmuch better than walking!

Gollum has led us south of the Morannon towards this 'secret pass' he says he knows. Perhaps it is just the contrast from the desolation at the Gates, but this country seems almost an oasis. There are trees and all manner of plants that are coming into blossom, and the green smell is like a balm to the spirit. I would that we could travel this fair land under the sun, but it is too dangerous. This country is under the dominion of the Enemy, and we must remain on our guard.

--------------------

So they passed into the northern marches of that land that Men once called Ithilien, a fair country of climbing woods and swift-falling streams...The long journey from Rivendell had brought them far south of their own land, but not until now in this more sheltered region had the hobbits felt the change of clime. Here Spring was already busy about them: fronds pierced moss and mould, larches were green-fingered, small flowers were opening in the turf, birds were singing. Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

...As they walked, brushing their way through bush and herb, sweet odours rose about them. Gollum goughed and retched; but the hobbits breathed deep, and suddenly Sam laughed, for heart's ease not for jest...Then they sought for a resting-place, and a hiding-place; for this land, fair-seeming still, was nonetheless now territory of the Enemy.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #1345
Anorial
Wight

Boots Into the Old Forest

Ala, I plan on walking to Mordor and back again too. "There and back again, Anorial's Journey". Your friend won't let you carry Sting!!

Lyta, yep hip and back injuries really make you appreciate when they work right! Too bad one isn't born with that knowledge and you have to learn it the hard way! I find it very funny what all the various walkers call their husbands. One of my favorites is Husband-who-is-not-Strider...makes me smile every time. Enjoy your stay in Caras Galadhon....I hear it's very beautiful there...good scenery too!

Enjoy the VAC Estelyn! Tell us all about it when you return. Hobbit-style, barefoot on the beach is one of the best ways to do it....well, it may very well BE the best, I'm just leaving room for improvement .

Well, I've made it out of the Shire. Kind of bittersweet now that the day has come. Definitely feel like I've entered the wider world.
Cheers, Anorial
Old 05-10-2004, 10:23 PM   #1346
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril Henneth Annûn -- Window of the Sunset

We "encountered" a company of Gondorian Rangers in the woods of Ithilien a few days ago. Sam had cooked a bit of rabbit stew for Frodo, and the smoke from the fire attacted their attention. Their captain turned out to be none other than Faramir, Boromir's younger brother.

As the Hobbits spoke with the Captain, Sam inadvertently mentioned the "you-know-what", and I feared that we three would be unable to escape from so many men. But instead of trying to seize the Ring as his brother did, Faramir sheltered us for the night and sent us on our way with our packs full of food.

Sam and I had hoped that Gollum had departed for good, but we were not that fortunate. Frodo still follows him, although Faramir warned the Ringbearer against going to the Morgul Vale and the Pass of Cirith Ungol. I needed no such warning, and I will remain watchful.

--------------------

"But fear no more! I would not take this thing, if it lay by the highway...I do not wish for such triumphs, Frodo son of Drogo...I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend..."

"Now look here, sir!" [Sam] turned, facing up to Faramir with all the courage that he could muster. "Don't you go taking advantage of my master because his servant's no better than a fool. You've spoken very handsome all along...but handsome is as handsome does we say. Now's a chance to show your quality."

"So it seems," said Faramir..."And here in the wild I have you: two halflings, and a host of men at my call, and the Ring of Rings...A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality!...We are truth-speakers, we men of Gondor. We boast seldom, and then perform, or die in the attempt. Not if I found it on the highway would I take it I said...be comforted, Samwise. If you seem to have stumbled, think that it was fated to be so...It shall turn to his good, if it is in my power."

...Sam hesitated for a moment, then bowing very low: "Good night, Captain, my lord," he said. "You took the chance, sir."

"Did I so?" said Faramir.

"Yes sir, and showed your quality: the very highest."

Faramir smiled. "A pert servant, Master Samwise. But nay: the praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards..."
Old 05-12-2004, 01:43 AM   #1347
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I just got back from walking my 1,111th mile! That's a special number, though saying it the "normal" way doesn't sound particularly interesting. I'm trying to decide how the hobbits would say it - one-eleventy-one? Eleventy-eleven?? Or perhaps double elvensies???
Old 05-16-2004, 10:02 PM   #1348
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I know I haven't posted for awhile, but we've still been walking, and Caras Galadon seems close yet far away at the same time. Strider (or Aragorn as he's often referred to now) doesn't seem as anxious to move quickly, and besides, we have Gandalf with us now. Gandalf has been so very generous and allowed us to walk only about three miles every day so my injured shoulder could heal. Nobody knows how it was injured, but it is the common opinion that it was all my fault for teaching the hobbits to play baseball. I don't remember being hit....

When I'm not playing such games with the hobbits I'm composing little songs and having Aragorn and Legolas give me advice on how to improve them. They both seem to know what they're talking about. It's been more difficult becoming friends with Boromir and Gimli though they seem likeable enough... It's just that Boromir is from Gondor which rouses up awe in me, and Gimli is just a Dwarf and I don't know how to talk to them. But I bestow friendly smiles on them whenever I can.

Now I must run, for Gandalf has suggested since I had the inspiration to actually come to this thread again I might as well update the walker's list on the first page... then we have to walk another mile or two before making camp.

Good to 'see' you all again!
Old 05-16-2004, 10:34 PM   #1349
Anorial
Wight

Boots

Hi Nurumaiel, nice to meet you! I'm at 110 miles right now.

Cheers,
Anorial
Old 05-16-2004, 10:55 PM   #1350
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

And pleased to meet you, Anorial. You really are cruising along! 110 miles, eh? Look out around Old Man Willow. When I was back there he nearly got Merry and Pippin.

(I have an odd feeling there are countless Merrys and Pippins running about right now. I see them here with me, but I know they're with Anorial too, and weren't they up at the Anduin giving foot massages? I guess so long as they don't meet each other and die of fright!!)

Obeying Gandalf's request I have updated the Walker's List, which can be found on the first page of the thread, second post. I do apologize if I miscalculated any mileages. Now I'm off for some late-night walking.

Happy walking!
Old 05-19-2004, 10:13 PM   #1351
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril ...the dawnless day

Quote:
it is the common opinion that it was all my fault for teaching the hobbits to play baseball. I don't remember being hit....
Nurumaiel: Welcome back!! Sorry to hear you've had shoulder problems--those hobbits can sure get carried away sometimes, can't they?

We have almost reached the Cross-roads, and we will then have to turn East to Minas Morgul. Just before dawn today we made camp on a great hog-back of land covered with gorse bushes. The bushes were quite tall, and Gollum and the halflings were able to walk upright under them, although I had to crouch to keep from being impaled on the thorns.

Instead of the sun, a dark cloud rose from the Nameless Land to spread westwards. The sun could not pierce this shadow, and the day continued to grow darker and darker. Gollum disappeared soon after we stopped, and when he returns we must continue our journey. I try to appear confident and unafraid in front of the hobbits, but my heart quails at the thought of the Dead City. Many dreadful tales have been told in Rivendell of the horrors that dwell in Minas Morgul. When my fears begin to overwhelm me, the determination and strength of will of my small companions give me the courage to persevere in spite of my dread.

--------------------

"Haven't you had no sleep, Mr. Frodo?" he said. "What's the time? Seems to be getting late!"

"No it isn't," said Frodo. "But the day is getting darker instead of lighter: darker and darker. As far as I can tell, it isn't midday yet, and you've only slept for about three hours."

...At that moment a rolling and rumbling noise was heard again, louder now and deeper. The ground seemed to quiver under their feet. "I think we are in for trouble anyhow," said Frodo. "I'm afraid our journey is drawing to an end."

"Maybe," said Sam; "but where there's life there's hope, as my Gaffer used to say; and need of vittles, as he mostways used to add. You have a bite, Mr. Frodo, and then a bit of sleep."

...Frodo gave no sign of what was passing in his mind. He sighed, hoisted his pack, and prepared to go out into the ever-gathering darkness...Without the crack of a twig or the rustle of a leaf they passed and vanished.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:23 AM   #1352
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril treachery...

Yesterday, we journeyed from the Cross-roads into Morgul Vale, where Gollum led us to his 'secret' path over the Mountains of Shadow. While we watched from across the Valley, the Witch King led his army westward for the attack on Minas Tirith. I fear for the city, for the army was huge. I hope Faramir and his men were able to cross the Anduin in time.

We climbed up two sets of stairs: the Straight Stair was the most difficult for the halflings, although the Winding Stair was longer. I followed behind (and below) them so that I would be able to catch them if they slipped or fell. When we reached the top, we ate a little and then rested for a few hours before venturing into the lightless tunnel. As we travelled through the passages, we realized that Gollum had betrayed us and we were lost in the darkness and the stench. When it seemed that we were trapped by the horror of Shelob, the Ringbearer drew his sword and with the light of the star-glass we were able to make our escape.

After Frodo cut the web that covered the entrance of the tunnel, he suddenly ran shouting out into the open, heading for the pass. I heard a hiss behind me, and something hard hit my head. When I awoke, I saw the figure of Sam standing in the cleft of the pass, but there was no sign of Frodo. Suddenly, before my eyes, Sam vanished. When I reached the cleft myself, he reappeared just ahead of me. There was no time for us to exchange tales, as the knowledge that Frodo was a prisoner of the orcs spurred us into action.

When we entered the Tower, we found no live orcs and the place stank of death. We feared that Frodo had also been slain, but we found him in the highest chamber--alive, but naked. Since he had no other clothes, we dressed him in orc gear, and Sam and I wore helms with the sign of the red eye and cloaks to hide our clothes, so that we would match.

We have escaped from the Enemy, and must now make our way across Gorgoroth towards Mt. Doom. May Elbereth protect us!

--------------------

Sam gave no more thought to it. He ran to the figure huddled on the floor. It was Frodo.

He was naked, lying as if in a swoon on a heap of filthy rags: his arm was flung up, shielding his head, and across his side there ran an ugly whip-weal.

"Frodo! Mr. Frodo, my dear!" cried Sam, tears almost blinding him. "It's Sam, I've come!" He half lifted his master and hugged him to his breast. Frodo opened his eyes.

"Am I still dreaming?" he muttered. "But the other dreams were horrible."

"You're not dreaming at all, Master," said Sam. "It's real. It's me. I've come."

"I can hardly believe it," said Frodo, clutching him. "There was an orc with a whip, and then it turns into Sam! Then I wasn't dreaming after all when I heard that singing down below, and I tried to answer? Was it you?"

"It was indeed, Mr. Frodo. I'd given up hope, almost. I couldn't find you."

"Well, you have now, Sam, dear Sam," said Frodo, and he lay back in Sam's gentle arms, closing his eyes, like a child at rest when night-fears are driven away by some loved voice or hand.

Sam felt that he could sit like that in endless happiness; but it was not allowed. It was not enough for him to find his master, he had still to try and save him.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:33 PM   #1353
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril The Land of Shadow

We have journeyed north from the Tower for several days, following alongside the orc-road. Our food supplies now consist of lembas only, and a few wafers are all that remain. Water has been most difficult, as there are very few streams in these hills. I fear we may soon have to journey along the roadway, as scrambling among these hills is rapidly consuming the Ringbearer's dwindling strength.

The day after our escape, the wind changed to the West and the smokes of Mt. Doom began to roll back. How we long for word of our friends...it is plain that not all things are going the Enemy's way. Yesterday, we overheard orcs speaking of the destruction of the Witch-king. If true, this is good news beyond all hope. However, for the three of us here in Mordor, all we can do is try to elude capture for as long as possible, and continue our journey towards the Mountain.

--------------------
When Sam thought of water even his hopeful spirit quailed. Beyond the Morgai there was the dreadful plain of Gorgoroth to cross.

"Now you go to sleep first, Mr. Frodo," he said. "It's getting dark again. I reckon this day is nearly over."

Frodo sighed and was asleep almost before the words were spoken. Sam struggled with his own weariness, and he took Frodo's hand; and there he sat silent till deep night fell. Then at last, to keep himself awake, he crawled from the hiding-place and looked out. The land seemed full of creaking and cracking and sly noises, but there was no sound of voice or of foot. Far above the Ephel Dúath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach. His song in the Tower had been defiance rather than hope; for then he was thinking of himself. Now, for a moment, his own fate, and even his master's, ceased to trouble him. He crawled back into the brambles and laid himself by Frodo's side, and putting away all fear he cast himself into a deep untroubled sleep.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #1354
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Path extended!

The Barrow-Downs Walk to Rivendell has been extended to Parth Galen.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:54 PM   #1355
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Wonderful, BW!! Now I finally know where I am again - approaching the Emyn Muil. Thanks!

*chants "Praise him with great praise!"*
Old 06-14-2004, 08:35 PM   #1356
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye Coming in better late than never...

Today, for the first time, I will log how far I have traveled. It has been a long two-hundred and fifty-eight miles, but I have reached Weathertop.

The heat has been oddly hot, seeing as how far to the north I am, but a mere tripe digit temperature does not hinder me, especially not with a good supply of water.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:39 AM   #1357
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril …the bitter road

Nothing I have ever read—nothing I have ever heard—nothing I have ever imagined in my darkest hours—nothing—prepared me for the evil of this place…or this journey. The very air we breathe is bitter, and the growing malevolence of our Enemy as we approach his stronghold casts an ever-darkening shadow upon my heart. My spirit falters as my body stumbles… Did Lúthien feel this blackness of despair as she approached the presence of Morgoth? I have no Húan or Beren to aid me, but as I follow my companions on this cruel trek, I would not exchange these precious halflings for Húrin, or Finrod or even for Oromë himself. I do not know how they find the strength to endure, but each day we draw nearer to the Mountain.

We traveled much of the way on the orc road from Cirith Ungol towards Barad-Dûr, trying to conserve Frodo’s strength. The road also had a few cisterns which contain the only water available in this wasteland. Several nights ago we were almost captured when a troop of orcs came suddenly upon us. In the darkness, wearing our orc disguises, we were not revealed to them, but we were forced to travel with them for several miles. The pace was hard enough for me…but for the hobbits, it was torture. When we were finally able to slip away, Frodo was so exhausted that I feared for his life.

We must soon turn from this road and head towards the Mountain. Our supply of lembas runs low and our water is all but gone. I watch Sam watching Frodo and see that he now realizes what I have known for many days. We must reach the Mountain and destroy the Ring, but there will be no return to the living lands for us. His face is determined as he raises his eyes to meet mine…without a word being spoken a covenant is forged between us. We will do what we have to do to ensure that Frodo reaches Mt. Doom and the One Ring is cast into the Fire, no matter what the cost…the Quest must not fail!

--------------------

…as he worked things out, slowly a new dark thought grew in his mind. Never for long had hope died in his staunch heart, and always until now he had taken some thought for their return. But the bitter truth came home to him at last: at best their provision would take them to their goal; and when the task was done, there they would come to an end, alone, houseless, foodless in the midst of a terrible desert. There could be no return.

“So that was the job I felt I had to do when I started,” thought Sam: “to help Mr. Frodo to the last step and then die with him? Well, if that is the job then I must do it...”

But even as hope died in Sam, or seemed to die, it was turned to a new strength. Sam’s plain hobbit-face grew stern, almost grim, as the will hardened in him, and he felt through all his limbs a thrill, as if he was turning into some creature of stone and steel that neither despair nor weariness nor endless barren miles could subdue.

…“Well, Mr. Frodo,” said Sam, “I’ve been having a look round and thinking a bit. There’s nothing on the roads, and we’d best be getting away while there’s a chance. Can you manage it?”

“I can manage it,” said Frodo. “I must.”
Old 07-08-2004, 12:08 AM   #1358
Alatáriël Lossëhelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril ...the end of all things

“...The Ring is mine!” As I stumble into the doorway of the Sammath Naur, these words come echoing through the darkness and pierce my heart. We have come to the heart of the Enemy’s realm, and the end of our dark journey.

The path across Gorgoroth Plain was a long and wearisome undertaking, with hunger and thirst our constant companions. I came to Mordor with Frodo and Sam, believing that I could help to lighten their burdens and keep them from harm…but now I can do nothing to diminish the suffering of my companions, and can only watch, helpless, as their strength wanes. Each day the Ring gains a greater hold over Frodo’s mind and will and like Sam, I am powerless to do anything to ease his torment.

It seemed that Frodo had spent the last of his stamina to reach the foot of the Mountain yesterday, and Sam and I had to carry him much of the way up today. Gollum attacked when we reached the roadway that wound around the Mountain, and Frodo went on ahead while Sam and I stayed to deal with the creature that had caused so much evil. This time, it was the pity of Sam that spared the wretch’s life, and we left him and hurried away to rejoin Frodo.

In the end, neither Sam nor I nor Frodo were able to destroy the Ring. It was Gollum who bit the Ring off of Frodo’s hand—finger and all—and fell with It into the fires and was destroyed. It was the pity and mercy of these two halflings towards Gollum that managed to counter the evil of the Ring and cause Its destruction.

We stand on a small hill of ash here at the foot of Mt. Doom and await the end. I am proud to have been a part of this adventure, and even prouder that these two valiant heroes name me as their friend. In death, their spirits will leave the confines of this world and go to a place known only to Ilúvatar, while I will dwell for a time in the Halls of Mandos. But—if it were permitted—I would choose to make the final journey with them; for I love them well and truly, and even in death I do not wish to be parted from them. We clasp hands, and their touch fills my heart with peace. The last thing my eyes see in this world are the two faces most dear to me—and I am content.

--------------------

“I am glad that you are here with me,” said Frodo. “Here at the end of all things, Sam.”

“Yes, I am with you, Master,” said Sam, laying Frodo’s wounded hand gently to his breast. “And you’re with me. And the journey’s finished. But after coming all that way I don’t want to give up yet. It’s not like me, somehow, if you understand.”

“Maybe not, Sam,” said Frodo; “but it’s like things are in the world. Hopes fail. An end comes. We have only a little time to wait now. We are lost in ruin and downfall, and there is no escape.”

…Frodo and Sam could go no further. Their last strength of mind and body was swiftly ebbing. They had reached a low ashen hill piled at the Mountain’s foot; but from it there was no more escape. It was an island now, not long to endure, amid the torment of Orodruin. All about it the earth gaped, and from deep rifts and pits smoke and fumes leaped up. Behind them the Mountain was convulsed. Great rents opened in its side. Slow rivers of fire came down the long slopes towards them. Soon they would be engulfed. A rain of hot ash was falling.

…And so it was that Gwaihir saw them with his keen far-seeing eyes, as down the wild wind he came, and daring the great peril of the skies he circled in the air: two [edit: three] small dark figures, forlorn, hand in hand upon a little hill, while the world shook under them, and gasped, and rivers of fire drew near. And even as he espied them and came swooping down, he saw them fall, worn out, or choked with fumes and heat, or stricken down by despair at last, hiding their eyes from death.

Side by side they lay; and down swept Gwaihir, and down came Landroval and Meneldor the swift; and in a dream, not knowing what fate had befallen them, the wanderers were lifted up and borne far away out of the darkness and the fire.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:35 AM   #1359
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My boyfriend did 18 freaking miles today. It kind of sucks when you live 3 miles from the train, and your work is another 2 miles from the train on the other end. A mile to the other train to get to the town with your old post office box, 4 miles from that train to the post office, 4 back, another mile between trains, 3 miles from the other train home. This is because out car blew chunks last week and he has to get his paycheck for us to buy a new one. And, as luck would have it, the check wasn't there. It's 11:30pm and he just walked in the door not 10 minutes ago. He did another 5.5 yesterday (took the bus to the train, but had to go somewhere before home). This is what the challenge said for him for yesterday and today's walking for him:

You have walked 23.5 miles.
[color=blue]You are only 3.5 miles from Black Rider Stopping Place.[/color]
You still have 434.5 miles to Rivendell.

After some time they crossed the Water, west of Hobbiton, by a narrow plank-bridge. The stream was there no more than a winding black ribbon, bordered with leaning alder-trees. A mile or two further south they hastily crossed the great road from the Brandywine Bridge; they were now in the Tookland and bending south-eastwards they made for the Green Hill Country. As they began to climb its first slopes they looked back and saw the lamps in Hobbiton far off twinkling in the gentle valley of the Water. Soon it disappeared in the folds of the darkened land, and was followed by Bywater beside its grey pool. When the light of the last farm was far behind, peeping among the trees, Frodo turned and waved a hand in farewell.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:37 AM   #1360
Anorial
Wight

Boots

Ala, that was beautiful....made me cry like the movie Congrats on reaching Mordor and finally "throwing in the ring"!