The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2004, 09:31 AM   #1281
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Shield

You have walked 144 miles.
You have reached the Great East Road west of Bree (144).
It is 8 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 314 miles to Rivendell.

Well, maybe I'm not even quite to Bree yet, but it feels like I'm on Caradhras! Last week it was about negative 30-50ŗ Farenheit here including the wind chill, which caused school to be cancelled on Friday. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But it's not the most pleasant walking conditions. So I got my miles by snowboarding (for the first time) and cross-country skiing! I wonder what the people of Middle-Earth would have thought of snowboarding...I can just imagine Gimli on a snowboard... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #1282
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ok, Legolas...you're last idea didn't work out so good. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] What shall we try for entertainment next? How about...let's french braid the hobbits' hair??? No, no!! On their heads, dude, not their feet...I'm not that bored! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

--------------------

• Left a good job in the city,
    Working for The Man every night and day,
    And I never lost one minute of sleeping,
    Worrying 'bout the way things might have been.

Big wheel keep on turning,
    [turning]
    Proud Mary keep on burning,
    [burning]
    And we're rolling
    [rolling]
    Rolling
    [rolling]
    Rolling on the river
    [rolling on the river]

Yes we're rolling
    [rolling]
    Rolling
    [rolling]
    Rolling on the river
    [rooolllinng on the riivveerr]
Old 01-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #1283
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

You have walked 60 miles.
You have passed Stock (52).
You are only 6 miles from Buckleberry Ferry.
You still have 398 miles to Rivendell.

"Seeing greenlands and forrest is nice enough" he thought to himself. As he came along he realized that there where dark shapes on the horizon. The dusk was settling in like a grey mist on the land. Shadows grew long and the wearyness of day lengthened. All things seemed slow and murmured in this quickening grey.

Still the sound of hoffs that passed from time to time seemed in the distance. Knowing that the fairy wasn't far off he decided to make his way straight through the night. Though tighered and hungry he knew who those dark shapes drifting along the shadows were.

Heeding his own fear and danger at the growing cold. The shadows sliped into memory as he sat down to eat his meal for the evening. Not much more than sharp cheese and fresh bread. Good thing he stoped earlier. Nothing could have taken his strength more than a lack of good bread.

Not making any fire to warm the chill running more frequently though him. He got ready for the 6 miles ahead. Then hopefully he could find solice in a nook of the road. Lay himself down and and let dark shadows that slip through sight not bother him. Even if it was only for this night.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:22 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: Eruantalon ]
Eruantalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:23 PM   #1284
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You have walked 587.41 miles.
You have passed Barren Hills (570).
It is 27.59 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 334.59 miles to Caras Galadon in Lothlórien.

&lt;i&gt;Gandalf walked in front, and with him went Aragorn, who knew this land even in the dark. The others were in file behind, and Legolas whose eyes were keen was the rearguard. The first part of their journey was hard and dreary, and Frodo remembered little of it, save the wind. For many sunless days an icy blast came from the Mountains in the east, and no garment seemed able to keep out its searching fingers. &lt;/i&gt;

Ary: Don't worry, I know this country even in the dark! *stubs toe* OWW~~!!

Naz: Anyways... We arn't even at Caradhras?? Even though it feels like it? I'm walking through snow & stuff because some people don't clean off their sidewalks! But there are "icy blasts"...

Ary: *trips*

Pip: *snickers*
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:20 PM   #1285
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

We've got to find something else to do for entertainment. Everything that could possibly be braided, is (and I have to admit that Boromir is looking very attractive with corn-rows); everyone has had a manicure and a pedicure (which was quite a challenge with the hobbits); and we've got a myriad of balloon animals floating above our boats. And we're still over 200 miles from Rauros.

--------------------
Upon the west to their right the land was treeless also, but it was flat, and in many places green with wide plains of grass. On this side of the River they passed forests of great reeds, so tall that they shut out all view to the west, as the little boats went rustling by along their fluttering borders. Their dark withered plumes bent and tossed in the light cold airs, hissing softly and sadly. Here and there through openings Frodo could catch sudden glimpses of rolling meads, and far beyond them hills in the sunset, and away on the edge of sight a dark line, where marched the southernmost ranks of the Misty Mountains.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #1286
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

**You have walked 229 miles.
You have passed a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills (228).
It is 17 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 229 miles to Rivendell.**

Halfway! Woo-hoo!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 02-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #1287
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

608 miles as of today...almost to the Misty Mountain Foothills. As I keyed in the entry in the (so helpful!) Barrowdowns Walk to Rivendell (and beyond!) page, I noticed part of the description that fit today's walk so well it is uncanny!
Quote:
The first part of their journey was hard and dreary, and Frodo remembered little of it, save the wind. For many sunless days an icy blast came from the Mountains in the east, and no garment seemed able to keep out its searching fingers.
No matter how tightly I wrapped my cloak about my face, I could not keep the icy wind out, and one thing about being so bundled is you cannot see around you very well without turning your entire body in the direction which you wish to look. No wonder Frodo didn't remember it so well! He was probably looking over a swath of fabric into a monocolored sky of gray thinking...got to stay warm...got to stay warm...too cold to reach for water bottle...got to stay warm....and the vistas around me all wrapped in the secondary mist that extreme cold and wet fog will bring...I think it is supposed to rain really hard tomorrow...ugh! About now, I'd rather be on the boats headed to Rauros with Alatariel! (I could use a pedicure AND a facial after all this windburn!) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 07:58 AM   #1288
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Alatįriėl, you have walked an amazing distance already! If I see it correctly, you hold the record for mileage so far.

I survived the Warg attack and should arrive at Moria's West Gate tomorrow. I shall certainly hurry to get inside before any Watcher shows up in the water!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:11 PM   #1289
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

You have walked 80 miles.
You have passed The Bonfire Glade (78).
It is 18 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 378 miles to Rivendell.

The glad was equaly challenging and enjoyable. Along the way the weary ranger found comfort in a friends house. But it could only be for one night. So he made his way on the next morning.

Nothing more disappointing than having to leave a good friend behind for the road. But he had to make his way on eastward. Or his errand would never be finish. The tall long haired man cloaked in a gray hood moved along the road. A speck to all that had keen eyes to see.

His sword pointing down straped to his back over his left shoulder. His axe slung on theright shoulder. His bow and arrow and arrows in the center of his back. He had swift strenth to carry him on his journy. Even with his heavy pack that swung at his knees.

Eruantlons journy was strenthened by his friends hospitalty. His sleep renewed him for the journy comming. He took every chance he could to make himself ready. He would need it to keep going on the errand.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:01 PM   #1290
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
About now, I'd rather be on the boats headed to Rauros with Alatariel! (I could use a pedicure AND a facial after all this windburn!)
Lyta: Ask Gwaihir to give you a lift downriver. Legolas and I still have all the beauty supplies and plenty of time to spare--and I'm sure Merry and Pippin would be happy to give you a massage, as well! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
Alatįriėl, you have walked an amazing distance already! If I see it correctly, you hold the record for mileage so far.
Estelyn: Wow...I can remember when I first started the walk. It seemed I was so far behind everyone that I thought I'd never catch up. An unexpected (but nice) result has been losing 30 pounds, but the best part was spending time with the Fellowship and my fellow B-D'ers along the way. It's been fun...and it ain't over yet.

The tedium of the journey, or something else, is beginning to wear on Frodo. He grows more and more silent and withdrawn. I know Sam has been watching him closely and his worry mirrors mine. There is not much we can do for Frodo other than care for his comfort and give him the support of our friendship. I hope it will be enough...

--------------------

Sam looked from bank to bank uneasily. The trees had seemed hostile before, as if they harboured secret eyes and lurking dangers; now he wished that the trees were still there. He felt that the Company was too naked, afloat in little open boats in the midst of shelterless lands, and on a river that was the frontier of war.

In the next day or two, as they went on, borne steadily southwards, this feeling of insecurity grew on all the Company. For a whole day they took to their paddles and hastened forward. The banks slid by. Soon the River broadened and grew more shallow; long stony beaches lay upon the east, and there were gravel-shoals in the water, so that careful steering was needed. The Brown Lands rose into bleak wolds, over which flowed a chill air from the East. On the other side the meads had become rolling downs of withered grass amidst a land of fen and tussock. Frodo shivered, thinking of the lawns and fountains, the clear sun and gentle rains of Lothlórien. There was little speech and no laughter in any of the boats. Each member of the Company was busy with his own thoughts.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:04 PM   #1291
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

[COLOR=red]You have walked 240 miles.
You have passed a small stream coming down from the Weather Hills (228).
You are only 6 miles from the Weather Hills.
You still have 218 miles to Rivendell.

*gasps* So close and yet so far! I'll never make it! *collapses dramatically*

Strider: *rolls eyes*

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~[/COLOR]
Old 02-12-2004, 05:54 PM   #1292
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

620 Miles

I've been walking in the mountains. Perfect winter weather lately but haven't covered as much ground as I had hoped due to work. (I haven't been posting for the same reason).

I have to check were I am out in the wilderness. I definetely feel like a lost hobbit!!
Old 02-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #1293
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
Lyta: Ask Gwaihir to give you a lift downriver. Legolas and I still have all the beauty supplies and plenty of time to spare--and I'm sure Merry and Pippin would be happy to give you a massage, as well!
Ah...if only! A massage from Merry and Pippin! That would SO rule! I'd have to lie across Boromir, wouldn't I? Ah, to be there instead of trudging somewhere on the outskirts of Hollin...but I can daydream about the old days of Eregion, couldn't I? (just DON'T think of what they did to Celebrimbor!)

Alatariel, since you're so far on the road, have you decided which path to take at Rauros? I recall there being a whole lot of options noted on the Eowyn Challenge website. If I ever make it that far, it has to be Mount Doom for me...I've even got my own personal Emyn Muil and Dead Marshes somewhere around here! (Actually, much of So. Middle Tennessee is the Dead Marshes after the flooding lately!) Also, congrats on losing 30 lbs on the way! I eat like Merry and Pippin put together, so I haven't lost pound one!

Cheers!
Lyta (644 miles along on the road to Lothlorien)

P.S. You WILL make it, Sapphire Flame! I remember the Weathertop area being particularly a challenge for me as well, but part of that was the fact that I became ill right at the Weathertop mark (I really got a sense of Frodo's misery and the need to trudge on, although thankfully I didn't have a team of Ringwraiths chasing me...just Naz!) Just be thankful you made it through Neekerbreeker Pond!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 02-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #1294
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Well, I am now in the middle of Moria, hearing Gandalf saying, 'I have no memory of this place at all! ' Come to think of it, that is a bit of what I felt like these days, adjusting to the new forum! But now I have found the right passages, at least most of them, and can move ahead with some certainty.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 02-13-2004, 07:53 PM   #1295
Eruantalon
Wight

Silmaril

You have walked 100 miles.
You have passed the Bald Hill in the Old Forest (98).
It is 10 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 358 miles to Rivendell.

The old forest feels stiffening. The air seems thick and aged. But all around are tall thick old trees. So for him it’s not so much a burden. As long as he has his heavy pack of food and water he won’t need to stop long. Its growing later and later in the day. It’s taken so long to get only this far. But he’s still weary from the previous journey. Wandering isn’t as much fun as it used to be. Especially when he’s alone now.

The bald hill let him know that he has a couple days till the next landmark. And he should hurry to make his way to Rivendell. He didn’t have all the time in the world. He had just enough time to get to Rivendell. Still each day was wasting. He had would try and walk farther each day.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 PM   #1296
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

645 miles.

Most of my walking has been recorded on the weekends, walking in and around the mountains (snowboarding rules)!. When I look up at some of the peaks I can just imagine how the hobbits felt trudging along, feeling they would never really reach them.

I haven't been posting regularly but I had to post today -- Happy Death Day to me -- it's one year since I joined! I don't want to remember what life was like before the Downs, with no one to talk to about LotR or when you did talk, people looking at you like you were strange!! Thanks BW for a terrific site.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #1297
Naz
Shade of Carn Dūm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
I'm stuck. I have no clue where I am, & I'm not going anywhere. Why, you ask? My pedometer died. Yup. And I still haven't gotten a new battery.

So I'm stuck at 600something.something miles. I dunno how many miles, nor where I am. : p meh...

Good job/luck to everyone else, though^ ^
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #1298
Hildigard

Silmaril

Quote:
Ah...if only! A massage from Merry and Pippin! That would SO rule! I'd have to lie across Boromir, wouldn't I? Ah, to be there instead of trudging somewhere on the outskirts of Hollin...but I can daydream about the old days of Eregion, couldn't I? (just DON'T think of what they did to Celebrimbor!)
Lyta: Merry & Pippin have the oil all ready for you...and Boromir says he'll keep his lap empty till you show up!!

Quote:
Alatariel, since you're so far on the road, have you decided which path to take at Rauros? I recall there being a whole lot of options noted on the Eowyn Challenge website. If I ever make it that far, it has to be Mount Doom for me...I've even got my own personal Emyn Muil and Dead Marshes somewhere around here!
Lyta: It will definately be Mount Doom for me. Frodo and Sam will not find it easy to leave me behind. Even if they take the boat, I will follow as, unlike Sam, I can swim!

The further south we travel, the warmer the weather. I fear it will soon be too warm. Boromir is acting more and more strange, even for a human. He has taken to muttering to himself, and watching the Ringbearer at all times. Meanwhile, Frodo becomes more and more withdrawn. I suspect he plans to leave the Company on his own and is contemplating how and when to go. I have made it my task to watch him...not to prevent him from leaving to complete his mission, but to ensure that he does not go alone and friendless into the wild.

--------------------

That night they camped on a small eyot close to the western bank. Sam lay rolled in blankets beside Frodo. "I had a funny dream an hour or two before we stopped, Mr. Frodo," he said. "Or maybe it wasn't a dream...It was queer. All wrong, if it wasn't a dream...I saw a log with eyes!"

"The log's all right," said Frodo. "There are many in the River. But leave out the eyes!"

"That I won't," said Sam. " 'Twas the eyes as made me sit up, so to speak...two pale sort of points, shiny-like, on a hump at the near end of the log...I don't like my thoughts; but...I fancy I could put a name on the creature...A nasty name. Gollum, maybe?...No need to trouble Strider or the others tonight. I'll keep watch."

"You shall watch; but only if you promise to wake me half-way towards morning..." In the dead hours Frodo came out of a deep dark sleep to find Sam shaking him...Frodo sat up, huddled in his blankets, and fought off his sleep...two pale lamplike eyes shone coldly as they...lifted and gazed up at Frodo on the eyot...He stood up, drawing Sting from its sheath, and faced the eyes...Aragorn stirred in his sleep, turned over, and sat up.

..."You lie down now, and I will keep watch for what is left of the night..." The night passed without Gollum showing so much as a shadow again...At Aragorn's bidding they paddled now for long spells, and the banks went swiftly by...they journeyed mostly by night and twilight, resting by day, and lying as hidden as the land allowed.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:46 PM   #1299
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Hobbitsickle Conditions!

Hey there Lyta and Naz!
Perhaps you remember me from way back at Hobbiton! My little sister (who is accompanying me) and I have hunkered down at Wethertop for the winter. Yeah we're wimps, but nobody enjoys walking in -25C! Rather than recreate the Fellowship's experience at Caradharas, we decided to take an extended break at Wethertop untill spring. For the record, I'm not exaggerating the tempature either, the Wisconsin Plains are fierce!

Once the skys clear and the temps improve, my sister and I will be back on the path! Clear trails to y'all!

Flamingly yours, ~Pyro~
Old 02-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #1300
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye Back!

Finally, finally, finally I am back. I had taken an unexpected hiatus, but I am back and still walking!

I am at 700 miles. I have not been keeping up with where we are- somewhere in the woods. As usual.
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #1301
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

It's so good to be posting under my real identity again...

Legolas and I had guard duty again today. You know, this Elvish ability to blend living night and deep dream has just about lost it's charm for me. It's ok when you're hanging with other Elves--you're able to party all night long. But these mortals seem to think, "Hey...Elves don't need to sleep. Let them do guard duty." So Legs and I took turns braiding each other's hair, trying out new styles and techniques, while the lazy mortals slept.

We also discussed the future of the Fellowship. Legolas favors going to Minas Tirith with Aragorn and Boromir, but I feel I must stay with the Hobbits. These small folk have captured my heart and I cannot bear the thought of being parted from them. The choice must be made when we reach Rauros, and that is still 23 leagues distant. But it is coming...

--------------------

The weather was still grey and overcast, with wind from the East, but as evening drew into night the sky away westward cleared, and pools of faint light, yellow and pale green, opened under the grey shores of cloud. There the white rind of the new Moon could be seen glimmering in the remote lakes. Sam looked at it and puckered his brows.

The next day the country on either side began to change rapidly. The banks began to rise and grow stony. Soon they were passing through a hilly rocky land, and on both shores there were steep slopes buried in deep brakes of thorn and sloe, tangled with brambles and creepers. Behind them stood low crumbling cliffs, and chimneys of grey weathered stone dark with ivy; and beyond these again there rose high ridges crowned with wind-writhen firs. They were drawing near to the grey hill-country of the Emyn Muil, the southern march of Wilderland.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:19 AM   #1302
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

At 875 miles, I am now deep in Lórien! Only 47 miles to go till Caras Galadon! I don't remember the exact day I started the Walk last year, but I think it was late March. That means I will have made it to Lothlórien within one year. And I'm not about to stop here...
Old 03-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #1303
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
dusting off my walking stick

Esty, kudos!

Hello, everyone! It's good to be back. After a very slow winter, I am pondering a new battery for my pedometer. *cough* that is, I am looking at the white borders on the old maps, and wondering what lies beyond them...
Old 03-11-2004, 02:37 AM   #1304
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
Lyta: Merry & Pippin have the oil all ready for you...and Boromir says he'll keep his lap empty till you show up!!
Woohoo! I'm walking as fast as I can! *trudges faster* I'm within spitting distance of the Redhorn Pass (746 miles), and it rather feels like the uphill trudge it is at that point. Spring storms have postponed my walks a lot and I've even spent some of the time in the storm cellar. I am lucky, though, in that I am *not* in a vastly cold area like Pyroclastic (welcome back to the melee, by the way, and we'll leave the Lamps of Fėanor on for ya! ) And good to see you, too, Helen! And yea for Estelyn, who made it safely across the Nimrodel Rope Bridge! (I'll let Pippin hold my hand for that one when I get there!)

This undertaking is interesting and refreshing in a time-displaced, imaginative way when I think of everyone at different stages of the same journey, each having unique, yet thematically unified experiences! One amusing thing I've noticed now that the weather has warmed up in southern middle Tennessee--I no longer wear several layers of clothing--coat, cloak, etc., and now I walk with Sting exposed for all the rednecks on the mile and a half long road I walk to see. Not one of them has *ever* mentioned it or even looked cross-eyed at it. I never mention it, and I often stop and converse with them, all the while wearing my "One Ring" on a chain, Sting, my Frodo vest and often the knee breeches too...perhaps they're just used to having a "hobbit in the holler..." (or more likely, they just think I'm a harmless eccentric, which is true too, except for the harmless part! *snerk*)

Cheers, and see y'all on the road!
Lyta
Old 03-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #1305
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Lyta, your sig is golden.

While I'm still on the same wild country paths, I passed 100 mi. out from Rivendell today. It's something to pipe about. "By the light of a peat-fire flame..."

(Lyta, you should post a pic of you-as-Sting-and-Ring-bearing-Frodo. ) (Maybe you could get one of those people you pass to take it.)
Old 03-12-2004, 06:53 PM   #1306
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
(Lyta, you should post a pic of you-as-Sting-and-Ring-bearing-Frodo. )
Oooh, I need to, don't I? Except I always look tired and dirty, especially after I pulled a Samwise today and decided to begin pre-season gardening for a couple hours by digging up stones from last year's beds before the walk even began...but I suppose that would be the right look, wouldn't it? (Got my dirt...I'm ready to go!)

I'm glad you like my sig, Helen! I went searching in the books for a short passage that captured just the mood I wanted and found it on Cerin Amroth...that place is haunting in the same manner that "The Sea Bell" is haunting, and I often feel a kinship with Arwen when I think of the place. In fact there is a place here I call "Arwen's Rock" that does funny things to me when I step upon it or gaze upon it, or even think about it . That reminds me that I need to take my next walk up there! (Rivendell is overgrown, though and would require a machete!) There is truly substance to Gimli's being wounded by that which is fairest and then having to part with it...a joy like knives, as Tolkien puts it at the Field of Cormallen...ah, but I digress.

The walk was most pleasant today. I reached the Redhorn Pass and was diverted by the contest of Legolas and Boromir--Legolas almost floating on the snowy surface and Boromir's strong channelling through it---it doesn't quite make me forget that snow is cold and higher than me! If only I were farther on the path, I could liken my surroundings to the fresh, yet besieged beauty of Ithilien, with its secret ways...but I shall reach it by and by...

Cheers,
Lyta (Hobbit in the Holler)
Old 03-15-2004, 05:48 PM   #1307
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

OK, I know I had the last post in this thread and I usually don't string-post, but I had to add something else, as well as bracing myself for the Warg-infested areas that are very near--(767 miles along today!).

I must say that I've visited the Barrowdowns' main page exponentially more often, simply because I enjoy the Merry and Pippin theme so much! Hooray for Merry and Pippin! (I seem to check my mileage about 3X as often lately, and I'm thinking M & P have something to do with it!) Anyway, that's all for now!

Cheers!
Lyta (doesn't want to go to Moria...doesn't want to go to Moria...keep repeating ad infinitum...add-in: doesn't want to freeze...heh heh...what an adventure!)
Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 PM   #1308
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
the weather has warmed up in southern middle Tennessee

Lyta (doesn't want to go to Moria...doesn't want to go to Moria...keep repeating ad infinitum...add-in: doesn't want to freeze...heh heh...what an adventure!)
Lyta: Are you close to Pulaski? I have 2 grandchildren who live there. Since I'll be going to visit next weekend, I'm glad to hear that the weather has warmed up.

Don't worry--Moria isn't so bad. Just stay close to Legolas...

Lyta (Hobbit in the Holler) *SNORK*

Our Company spent the day yesterday carrying our boats and gear along the portage path past the Sarn Gebir. Aragorn (Mr. I-know-this-river-like-I-know-the-back-of-my-hand) had thought we had several more days travel before we reached the rapids. Incompetent twit! Not only were we almost capsized in the River, but we were attacked by orcs as well. However, the worst threat was the Winged Shadow that flew overhead. Luckily for these mortals, Legolas and I had our bows handy and he was able to shoot it from the sky.

Below the rapids, we relaunched the boats and continued our journey. Only 9 more leagues to Rauros...I must be ever vigilant in guarding against further enemy attacks, as well as any attempt by the Ringbearer to slip away on his own.

--------------------

Nothing happened that night worse than a brief drizzle of rain an hour before dawn. As soon as it was fully light they started. Already the fog was thinning. They kept as close as they could to the western side, and they could see the dim shapes of the low cliffs rising ever higher, shadowy walls with their feet in the hurrying river. In the mid-morning the clouds drew down lower, and it began to rain heavily. They drew the skin-covers over their boats to prevent them being flooded, and drifted on; little could be seen before them or about them through the grey falling curtains.

The rain, however, did not last long. Slowly the sky above grew lighter, and then suddenly the clouds broke, and their draggled fringes trailed away northward up the river. The fogs and mists were gone. Before the travellers lay a wide ravine, with great rocky sides to which clung, upon shelves and in narrow crevices, a few thrawn trees. The channel grew narrower and the River swifter. Now they were speeding along with little hope of stopping or turning, whatever they might meet ahead. Over them was a lane of pale-blue sky, around them the dark overshadowed River, and before them black, shutting out the sun, the hills of Emyn Muil, in which no opening could be seen.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #1309
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Quote:
Lyta: Are you close to Pulaski? I have 2 grandchildren who live there. Since I'll be going to visit next weekend, I'm glad to hear that the weather has warmed up.
Indeed, Alatariėl I am only 20 miles from there, so the weather here is the weather there! It was almost 70 degrees today, and no sign of it cooling off, either! Wore the sword and pseudo-Frodo outfit out today and made it a bit closer to the West Gate of Moria, surviving the Warg attack by huddling behind Legolas and staying close to the fire. Gandalf was amazing! I tried to take some pictures of myself in Frodo gear by shooting a pic in a mirror (one mirror was rather dirty, too!), but it didn't work too well. (I didn't trust the guy feeding the cows with my digicam...) The questionable results are here:
Lyta in Hobbit Gear
A pic of Lyta in Frodo Gear with Barrowdowns hat!

Cheers!
Lyta
Old 03-23-2004, 12:10 AM   #1310
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril Hop, Skip & Jump

Quote:
Indeed, Alatariėl I am only 20 miles from there, so the weather here is the weather there! It was almost 70 degrees today, and no sign of it cooling off, either! Wore the sword and pseudo-Frodo outfit out today and made it a bit closer to the West Gate of Moria, surviving the Warg attack by huddling behind Legolas and staying close to the fire. Gandalf was amazing! I tried to take some pictures of myself in Frodo gear by shooting a pic in a mirror (one mirror was rather dirty, too!), but it didn't work too well. (I didn't trust the guy feeding the cows with my digicam...) The questionable results are here
Lyta: It's been in the mid-60's to mid-70's here in central Texas for the past week or two. I like those pics...you look so hobbity!! When I come to Tennessee, I'll revert into my hobbit persona and bring my Sting and Frodo outfit. Hopefully, we can meet up and at least take one another's picture... The locals will think it's a Hobbit invasion!!

We passed through the Argonath today...very impressive. Aragorn said they were his ancestors, Isildur and Anįrion, but I didn't see any family resemblance myself. We are less than 3 leagues from Rauros, which is at the other end of Nen Hithoel. We must then decide which direction we will journey--East or West. I will go whither the Ringbearer goes, whether it be Minas Tirith...or Mordor.

--------------------

"Behold the Argonath, the Pillars of the Kings!" cried Aragorn...Great power and majesty they still wore, the silent wardens of a long-vanished kingdom. Awe and fear fell upon Frodo, and he cowered down, shutting his eyes and not daring to look up as the boat drew near...So they passed into the dark chasm of the Gates...Frodo crouching over his knees heard Sam in front muttering and groaning: "What a place! What a horrible place! Just let me get out of this boat, and I'll never wet my toes in a puddle again, let alone a river!"

"Fear not!" said a strange voice behind him. Frodo turned and saw Strider, and yet not Strider; for the weatherworn Ranger was no longer there. In the stern sat Aragorn son of Arathorn, proud and erect...a king returning from exile to his own land.

"Fear not!" he said. "Long have I desired to look upon the likenesses of Isildur and Anįrion, my sires of old. Under their shadow Elessar, the Elfstone son of Arathorn of the House of Valandil Isildur's son, heir of Elendil, has nought to dread!"

Then the light of his eyes faded, and he spoke to himself: "Would that Gandalf were here! How my heart yearns for Minas Anor and the walls of my own city! But whither now shall I go?"

Last edited by Alatįriėl Lossėhelin; 03-23-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:21 AM   #1311
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

At 925 miles, I have reached Caras Galadon according to our site's mileage (the Éowyn Challenge has it a bit further away - 10 miles to go there). I made it within a year! Now, if our beloved Wight will continue charting the road, I can see where I am... I guess I'm joining you on the river, Alatįriėl.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #1312
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril Float Trip!

Quote:
I guess I'm joining you on the river, Alatįriėl
Estelyn: Be sure you bring a large supply of Elvish sunscreen from Lothlórien...the glare from the water can get pretty intense!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #1313
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Eye

You have walked 297 miles.
You are still south of the Road (286).
It is 3 miles to the next landmark.
You still have 161 miles to Rivendell.

Whew! Nearly there! Only....

Dangit! *sigh* This takes a long time...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 03-25-2004, 06:31 PM   #1314
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril Breaking of the Fellowship

We reached Parth Galen late yesterday and camped in that fair place. After breakfast, Aragorn brought up the question of where we should now go, but no one was willing to choose. Frodo is the Ringbearer, and he alone can decide his path. He then left the Company for a while to think, and to make his decision. After a time, I noticed that Boromir was no longer among us. I feared treachery and went in search of them both. From a distance, I heard the shouts of Boromir, but when I reached him the Ringbearer had vanished. Although he denied it, it was plain to me that Boromir had tried to seize the Ring from Frodo. I searched, but could find no trace of the small halfling.

I knew that if Frodo had chosen to leave the Company on his own, he would have to have a boat to cross to the eastern shore. I returned to our camp, and saw a most curious sight. An empty boat was on the water, and Sam was wading out towards it. As the water rose over his head, the boat turned on its own and Sam was pulled to the side of the boat by...nothing! The paddle dipped in and out of the water by itself until the boat reached the shore, whereupon Frodo was revealed when he took off the Ring.

The Ringbearer was dismayed that he had not managed to escape from Sam and myself, and tried to convince us to stay. When it was plain that we would not allow him to leave on his own, he gave in with a laugh. "Come along! It is plain that we [three] were meant to go together. We will go, and may the others find a safe road!" And so we are now among the trackless hills of the Emyn Muil on the final part of our journey. Legolas knows my mind, and I trust him to apprise the others of my choice. Frodo's departure will be hard on the two younger halflings, but they will be safe in Aragorn's care. Meanwhile, we will seek a path through the hills and down into the Land of Shadow.

-------------------

No one was there...A boat was sliding down the bank all by itself...The boat slipped into the water.

"Coming, Mr. Frodo! Coming!" called Sam, and flung himself from the bank, clutching at the departing boat...Gurgling he went under, and the River closed over his curly head.

...A paddle swirlded and the boat put about..."get hold of the side, and let me use the paddle!"...Frodo brought the boat back to the bank...took off the Ring and stepped ashore again.

..."Now, Sam," said Frodo, "don't hinder me! The others will be coming back at any minute. If they catch me here, I shall have to argue and explain, and I shall never have the heart or the chance to get off. But I must go at once. It's the only way."

"Of course it is," answered Sam. "But not alone. I'm coming too, or neither of us isn't going. I'll knock holes in all the boats first."

Frodo actually laughed. A sudden warmth and gladness touched his heart. "Leave one!" he said. "We'll need it. But you can't come like this without your gear or food or anything."

"Just hold on a moment, and I'll get my stuff!" cried Sam eagerly. "It's all ready. I thought we should be off today..."

"So all my plan is spoilt!" said Frodo. "It is no good trying to escape you. But I'm glad, Sam. I cannot tell you how glad. Come along! It is plain that we were meant to go together. We will go, and may the others find a safe road! Strider will look after them. I don't suppose we shall see them again."

"Yet we may, Mr. Frodo. We may," said Sam.

So Frodo and Sam set off on the last stage of the Quest together...shouldering their burdens, they set off, seeking a path that would bring them over the grey hills of the Emyn Muil, and down into the Land of Shadow.

Last edited by Alatįriėl Lossėhelin; 03-25-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #1315
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Dear Fellow Rivendell Walkers,

While thinking about a chapter of the 'LotR and Philosophy' book, I realized how much walking and happiness are connected for me. Have you experienced the same thing? I invite you to read my post on this thread: Tolkien's Six Keys to Happiness and share your experiences if you feel the same - or if you disagree!
Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #1316
Anorial
Wight

Location: Walking with Frodo and Sam back to Rivendell! (2869 miles)
Anorial has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Hi there, anyone still walking out there?

I'm new to this forum stuff so bear with me....I found this Walk to Rivendell idea just this past Friday April 2nd and it blew me away. I've been wanting to get in shape again and this is the perfect thing. I'm a HUGE LotR fan and I'm pretty excited about doing this. I did a lot of surfing and I was sorry to see on some forums that some people had stopped because they didn't make the release of RotK goal. As far as I'm concerned, ANY day is a GOOD day to go to Rivendell!!

Anyway, I've just started. Got my maps all photocopied on Saturday (I KNEW I bought that book for a reason!) and I walked yesterday and today. I've said my last farewell to Hobbiton (and even posted Ted Nasmith's beautiful painting called "Last Sight of Hobbiton" as my wallpaper). So I'm wondering, are there any other folks just starting out? Those of you already in Lothlorien, great work! You'll be in Morder throwing your "ring" (whatever addiction, negativity or whatever you choose) in no time!

Cheers and I hope to see you on the road!

Last edited by Anorial; 04-05-2004 at 11:07 PM.
Anorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 AM   #1317
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Quote:
ANY day is a GOOD day to go to Rivendell!!
You're absolutely right, and welcome to the Walk, Anorial!!
Old 04-07-2004, 09:31 PM   #1318
Anorial
Wight

Boots

Well, upped my total to 16 miles today and realizing I need to pace myself. Actually, thought that yesterday but it was soooo sunny I couldn't resist. I feel so good when I walk. Nursing a bit of a dodgy hip so prudence is.....well, prudent!

Anyway, enjoying the trip. My delicious goal . I hope to see some new walkers join in too! Woo-hoo! Onwards to Rivendell and beyond!

And a Happy Easter to y'all in a few days.

Last edited by Anorial; 04-08-2004 at 09:53 PM. Reason: To clarify:
Old 04-07-2004, 09:37 PM   #1319
Anorial
Wight

Pipe Newbie question

Why does it say I'm newly deceased? Is this a good thing? Does it mean I've been booted from the forum? Or is it a stopping place on the way to becoming a Ghosted Princess or whatnot? Clarification is appreciated!

Cheers
Old 04-08-2004, 02:42 AM   #1320
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Anorial, you'll find the answer to your questions and many others on the Barrow-Downs FAQ thread. If you have any that aren't answered there, you're welcome to send me a PM and I'll help in any way I can.

You've started off with a bang! Well done - glad you're enjoying it.