The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2002, 10:23 PM   #1
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting Weapons?

Ok, Gandalf had Glamdring and his staff, Frodo had Sting, Legolas had his bow, Gimli his ax, etc. What would you choose? What weapon? Swords seem to be the most popular, but I'm sure some people prefered spears or things like that.
I go for archery personally. But in case any enemies get to close I want a nice elven sword too. A saber probably. Anyone else?
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know that I am no good with the bow, can't even get the arrow from the strings. But I can hold my own with a sword. Had an opportunity to fight with a frind from SCA. I did okay.

Now, I would perfer a sword and a good knife. While distracing my enemy with parries and blows, I'd stab him with the knife. Hey, just want to protect myself [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
TarElendil
Wight

TarElendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A spear.
sword girt at my side too, just incase [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
TarElendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 11:30 PM   #4
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

My preferred weapon would be the staff,
It can be used for walking, it is a symbol of authority and it can be used for protection.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 12:08 AM   #5
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Magic thunderbolts, please. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Just kidding. Really I think I'd use a crossbow, even though I don't know how. You people are lucky to have gotten to sword-fight and learn archery. Around here, that sort of thing lies somewhere between outdated and not yet recognized as a form of appreciation/recreation. Everybody carries guns.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:49 AM   #6
Veritas
Wight

Veritas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say a sword, a bow is also very handy, but a sword is, I think, most usefull.

A staff is a good weapon, although you can't kill an orc by kicking him with a staff, you most do first a 'tric' and takes a lot of time.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Veritas ]
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 06:54 AM   #7
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd go for a nice Dwarven-made, double-handed axe. Maybe a crossbow as well.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 07:58 AM   #8
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'd probably use a sword and a halbred (sp?)
Old 06-19-2002, 09:56 AM   #9
TarElendil
Wight

TarElendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

do you mean a halberd? those would be pretty kool [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
TarElendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 10:06 AM   #10
The-Elf-Herself
Haunting Spirit

The-Elf-Herself has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would definitely choose a short sword, a long knife, and a couple of throwing daggers. Hey, can't be too careful. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Joy that is awesome to be able to sword fight. I'd love to be able to take real sword-fighting lessons but I have to settle for fencing. I guess it's better than nothing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 11:47 AM   #11
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would choose a bow and a sword. I love the bow we have at home, and I am quite good with it too. But I have yet to find a wodden one, with arrows. Anyone cares to help me? Though, I am dangerous as h*ll with a sword, I "swing" it round and nearly hit people all the time. I will have a sword at the role-play I am going to next week, luckily enough, my character is supposed to be clumsy with it... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I really like small knives too, but a bow and sword is enough I think, though an axe would be cool too...hehe.
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 12:35 PM   #12
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Hmm, Bow for me, as well as a knife. I hope that by the time they get close enough for me to use the knife, they'll have a few arrows sticking out of them. Aslo *says the coward* with a bow, you don't get so close to the fighting, and you're less likely to have your head chopped off with a sword or axe, arrow wounds I can handle - swords I cannot.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2002, 03:11 PM   #13
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Where do you learn to sword fight?!
Old 06-19-2002, 09:16 PM   #14
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

Oh yeah! Thowing daggers! How could I forget those? I need at least 3. Thanks for reminding me The-Elf-Herself. And maybe a dirk or something for my left hand when I use my sword. (which I wish I actually had and knew how to use)
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 05:34 AM   #15
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

am I going to be the only one to use an axe in this company? Maybe I should change my name to Gimli than. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 08:56 AM   #16
Leto
Pile O'Bones

Leto has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"where do you learn to sword fight" *s* I imagine most people here haven't, except in their imagination, or role playing games *s* So this is more a question of 'which weapons do you think are the coolest' as opposed to what weapons people know how to use. *s* Aren't too many around nowadays that know how to really wield a battle axe, let alone a double bladed one. I know I don't. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] SCA is cool...but what most of them do is 'fantasy' fighting, with very little real training, in the traditional sense.

Right now, I'd have a staff. with perhaps some sai tucked in my belt. Once I learn more with the straightsword, I'd take that. Kwan Dao (halberd) is nice [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] but a little too cumbersome for my taste...the broadsword is also a nice weapon, but I really like the thrusting techniques available with the straightsword, it's more to my 'style'.

Can you imagine a shaolin trained fighter in the world of Tolkien? *lol* It would be the coolest kung fu movie. "Shaolin Challenges Mordor", "Nine Deadly Nazgul", "36 Crazy Fists of Rivendell"
Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 09:17 AM   #17
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would if possible learn how to use a longbow, since they can pierce an armor at 200 meters distance. If you know about the battle of Agincourt, then you also know of how superior longbows is to other bows and crossbows.

But I would definetly learn how to use a sword. Those who are well made are also well balanced and can be used to make many tricks and smart moves. They are in my definition the best melee weapon, since you can unlike with spears hit enemies close up, and unlike e.g. flails swords can quickly be pulled back to make a defensive move.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:36 AM   #18
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

A longbow and a knife for me, please. I honestly couldn't say that putting a sword in my hands is a good idea, but I imagine that I might be able to hold my own against someone without too much training...keyword there is imagine. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Longbows are useful in many different situations, and usually when the longbow falls out of usefulness, that's when the knife comes in. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 09:41 AM   #19
Artilien
Pile O'Bones

Artilien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Artilien
Sting

I would have a sword and bow... im not very good with any weapon but i'd learn [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: Artilien ]
Old 06-20-2002, 10:00 AM   #20
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well, in RPGs, I usually play a wolf. Even had a wolf weilding a sword? Of course not. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] But if I did have any weapons, a straight sword would do just fine. I prefer close combat, rather than using a bow because those are preferably to distance fighting. Only Legolas is dumb enough to try to shoot Orcs in close combat with an arrow. Though I suppose you could pop out someone's eyes with it.

And curved blades, like Orc schmiters (sp?) are better made for slicing off heads, but I think it'd be too annoying when you're trying to parry blows or unsheathing and re-sheathing it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And as for an axe, I don't think I could carry a heavy battle axe. I'm not exactly a stout Dwarf, okay?
Old 06-20-2002, 12:48 PM   #21
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

ok, for one, it's not dumb to shoot an arrow at close range, you do more damage. And scimitars are cool, but they wouldn't really be sheathed, I think it might be better to tuck into a sash. And someone metioned the Battle of Agincourt. That's in France right? Well, anyway, longbows really did help in the Battle of Hastings (William the Conquerer invading England) against the Saxon short bows.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:33 PM   #22
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

what about lances ? their a more heavy type of weapon like a battle axe.
id use a short sword, with some knives for backup
Old 06-22-2002, 12:27 AM   #23
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A bow, for attacking from a distance.
A spear to charge with to close the distance.
A sword (bastard) to go toe-to-toe with.
And finally, a dagger, to replace the sword if necessary, situations where stealth is necessary, and as an all around utility tool.
And if I really wished to be over-encumbered by all these weapons, I'd add in either a couple of throwing axes or knives for a secondary ranged attack at closer ranges before charging.

Just as a side note, a staff and spear IMO are pretty much the same, except the spear has the dagger on the end, making it better for stabbing/jabbing with.
Also, a long, long time ago, Dragon Magazine had an article titled the "well Rounded Fighter" which went into greater detail on weapon choices which I briefly outlined above. BTW, the article is in an issue dating from the mid to late 80's & am not able to give further, precise documentation, as I gave my copy away to friend many years ago.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 12:44 AM   #24
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

At the battle of Agincourt, the english were outnumbered with only 200 longbowmen and 100 footsoldiers. The french attacked with 1500 knights, who were all shoot before they could attack. Then the crossbowmen came, but their weapons could not fire at long range. So they were also shoot.

After the battle, 2000 french soldiers were dead, and only 80 english. I think that proves how superior the longbow is to other ranged weapons.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:12 AM   #25
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would use an axe of course! Passed down by my father, passed down to him from his father, back to my great great grandfather. Leave the bows to the elves and the staves to the wizzards, the sword to the men. I use my axe!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:57 AM   #26
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

We actually talked about the superiority of the longbow in British Lit class.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:09 PM   #27
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I don't think I'm remotely strong enough to use a sword. It would take someone only a few inches taller than me to overpower me (and that constitutes 90% of the world, as I'm only 5 ft tall).

I am therefore forced by unfair advantage to use a bow.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:16 AM   #28
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Aldagrim, that sounds interesting. What conclusions did you make?
Old 06-25-2002, 07:45 AM   #29
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

English bows were made of yew, which is the best material because of the way it bends (not too stiff or flexible). Longbows, which were used by the Normans, went further than Saxon bows.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:47 AM   #30
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

have you seen the movie Robin Hood with Kevin Costner? A merchant appears, with a wagon of longbows. They demonstrate by piercing a helmet. A movie with good scenes.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:30 PM   #31
White Knight

The Eye

I would have a strong bow and a long,light sword.

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: White Knight ]
Old 06-25-2002, 03:04 PM   #32
Ruthwen
Animated Skeleton

Ruthwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hmmm... well, assuming I'd actually be able to use any of them, I'd have to say a sword. A nice, long, slightly curved, light, shiny, pretty sword. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2002, 03:46 PM   #33
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

M14 carbine with m206 gernade launcher. just kidding. I would go with a bladed bow(the elf in my story has one) It's basically a normal bow with some long, thin blades in the upper and lower limbs. It would be a four curve made in turkish fasion. Yes I do weapons encyclopedia and read it often. Poisoned arrows too.
watch out harry potter. (Draws and nocthes arrow.)
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

ps I'd have 2 short swords also.

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumber10 ]
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 03:52 PM   #34
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

maybe a katana too.
NazgulNumber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:18 PM   #35
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Quote:
have you seen the movie Robin Hood with Kevin Costner? A merchant appears, with a wagon of longbows. They demonstrate by piercing a helmet.
Wasn't that Robin Hood with Patrick Bergin? Maybe it was in both.

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 06-26-2002, 06:11 AM   #36
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, it is for sure in the Robin Hood with Kevin Costner. I haven't seen the other movie.
Old 06-26-2002, 06:32 AM   #37
Nice-Smeagol
Animated Skeleton

Nice-Smeagol has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I would choose a crossbow and two short swords.
Shoot them then Chop their heads off!
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm evil I know, but hey, who's gonna stop me! Bwahahahahahahaha!
Nice-Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 06:59 AM   #38
Rosa_Baggins
Wight

Rosa_Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually take archery leasons so bow and arrow for me!!!
Old 06-26-2002, 04:35 PM   #39
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

Hmmm, well, my top choice would be an Elven bow, but in case of desperate measures, a sword and dagger would be nice at my side.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:22 PM   #40
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd pick a Sword, a slang-shot(is that what the're called? The thing that David used to kill the giant? I've heard that if you know how to use them, the're more accerate them a Bow & Arrow) and I'm learning to use Sais, so I'll use those too. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
~Morquesse

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Morquesse ]