The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Dunadanman
Newly Deceased

Dunadanman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Tolkien Parody: Insulting or Flattering??

Having been a Tolkien fan for nearly 4 decades, I am curious about how people feel about the parodies out there? I long ago read (and enjoyed) the Harvard Lampoon's effort, "Bored of the Rings." Recently, I just found a new one on Amazon entitled "High as a Hobbit." This one actually had me laughing out loud all evening. While I've considered myself a bit of a purist when it comes to the art of our British friend (for instance, I boycotted the movies at first...although broke down eventually and thoroughly enjoyed them!), I have no problems with well-written books that poke fun at the noble themes. I guess I agree with the author of HAAH (Timbly Prywater) who states that parody is a form of flattery. If you agree, I recommend "High as a Hobbit" with no reservations...it's really that funny! If you think otherwise about parody, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.
Dunadanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome to the Downs, Dunadanman!

The only full-length Tolkien parody I've read is Bored of the Rings. While it's obviously dated, I still found it decently funny in places.

I do consider myself a Tolkien purist, but I'm not adverse to parodies of the works, as long as they're tastefully done. Peter Jackson's films fit the bill
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Dunadanman
Newly Deceased

Thanks for the welcome! "Bored of the Rings" was ok, but the approach taken by the authors of "High as a Hobbit" is completely different...very close alignment with the original tones. I was seriously laughing out loud. Check it out (it's only $2.99 on Amazon).
Old 05-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post

I do consider myself a Tolkien purist, but I'm not adverse to parodies of the works, as long as they're tastefully done. Peter Jackson's films fit the bill
PJ's fims, tasteful?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
PJ's fims, tasteful?
Well, I differentiate between "predictably Hollwood-ized" and actively offensive.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I found Bored of the Rings very funny when I read it back in the day. Really good parody may have an element of affection in it and if you really love something you can laugh at its faults. Two of my favourite books are Mary Webb's Precious Bane and Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm which is a parody in part of Webb's work (though is a classic in it's own right). However there a lot of potboilers out there and as with anything that seeks merely to cash in on Tolkien's work, I tend not be overly impressed.
Having not read the one you refer to I can't say.

If you want a parody of the film I suggest trawling YouTube for the French and Saunders LOTR one..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've read quite a few of the parodies that have been published, and just recently one of our Downers (with the help of another) has published his series of parodies, The Lord of the Grins, for Kindle. This new one looks interesting enough to check out.

My favourite movie parodies are the Russian trilogy films, "The Trouble of the Rings".
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Actually, Esty you were the inspiration of a thorough parodying...or something, of Middle Earth.

(my goodness was that a long time ago now )
Old 05-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Dunadanman
Newly Deceased

Not sure if it qualifies as parody, but...

has anyone here heard the song by Leonard Nemoy (of all people!) called "Bilbo Baggins?" It's a little bizarre, a little funny and just a little scary (considering I keep picturing Spock singing it. Not sure what he was thinking (maybe a kids' song), but it's worth a listen if you ever trip over it.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunadanman View Post
has anyone here heard the song by Leonard Nemoy (of all people!) called "Bilbo Baggins?" It's a little bizarre, a little funny and just a little scary (considering I keep picturing Spock singing it. Not sure what he was thinking (maybe a kids' song), but it's worth a listen if you ever trip over it.
Oh, yes. Love it.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I found Bored of the Rings very funny when I read it back in the day. Really good parody may have an element of affection in it and if you really love something you can laugh at its faults. Two of my favourite books are Mary Webb's Precious Bane and Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm which is a parody in part of Webb's work (though is a classic in it's own right).
Read Cold Comfort Farm a few weeks ago and enjoyed it exceedingly. It did feel like a parody of a certain genre, but I didn't think of Mary Webb. I like Precious Bane, too. I thought the film of it was very good - but it was years ago when I saw it (and a long time before I got round to reading the book, although I always try to read the book first).
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Dunadanman
Newly Deceased

new parody

[QUOTE=Estelyn Telcontar;683590]I've read quite a few of the parodies that have been published, and just recently one of our Downers (with the help of another) has published his series of parodies, The Lord of the Grins, for Kindle. This new one looks interesting enough to check out.

Just finished High as a Hobbit, by a couple other authors on Amazon Kindle. This one had me lol almost constantly. But I'll check out Lord of the Grins next.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Sheila Kaye Smith and Mary Webb were the main influences. Gibbons was serialising another Webb book at the time and it reminds me more of Gone to Earth which I like less. KesterWoodseaves is the only literary hero I prefer to Faramir... anyway I digress.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #14
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunadanman, in Humour in and around the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien View Post
Are you calling for new works of humor written around the Tolkien books? I recently published a parody on kindle called High as a Hobbit...what do you do with the submissions?
Wait, are you advertising your own book here? You know, you could've done it honestly. You wouldn't have been the first person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
My favourite movie parodies are the Russian trilogy films, "The Trouble of the Rings".
I was just thinking of these the other day! I'm usually not big on parody, but I enjoyed this trilogy a lot.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
Dunadanman
Newly Deceased

Sorry

You're right, Aganzir. It was shady of me...my only defense is that I was overly enthusiastic about finally getting this work out on the streets and into people's hands to see what they think. It skewed my thinking, I made a bad decision and I apologize to the room. I'll go quiet on the topic. Thank you for pointing this out to me in a kindly manner.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's okay, apology accepted. Hope you stick around, and I'm sure you'll eventually get feedback from people who are interested in parodies.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #17
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
I think I'm quite sensitive to Professor's work, and can't tolerate if someone insults him (or his books). I'm not sure about parodies but they're crazy.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #18
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Parody is fine; Tolkien himself is known to have had a mischievous sense of humour so the existence of parodies is something I believe he would accept (misreprenentation of his work as something that it's not seems to be where he would draw the line).

One of my personal favourites came from the old Tolkien Sarcasm pages, and does a fine job of summarising much of what's to be found in the HoME:

Quote:
The second account, once intended for the Appendices, has only recently come to light, found written on the back of several examination papers in the effects of one Mr Avery Sharpe of Bristol, now recently deceased. The text is here in a very rough state, pencilled hastily and often almost illegibly, sometimes erased and on one occasion actually spray-painted over.
This gives a nice mental image of Tolkien deliberately wrecking his manuscripts so as to cause intentional difficulties for future researchers.