The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 03:38 PM   #321
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Lila Bramble has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Oh my God, Saxony Tarn! Someone I've talked to on the downs whose actually read my fanfic?! Awesome!

And yes, though the posting is going slow, I have all the first series done! I'm almost done the second series, too!

I've used Beregond, but you're saying Baranor is gone? Darn, I'll have to rewrite some of my stuff! A lot of it, actually if it's true! Would it be okay to use him?

Also, I'm drawing pictures of my characters on elfwood, too. You might wanna check out my page at http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/l...0/lila10.html, but my pics of Lila aren't up yet.

Quote:
Oh, another ill fortune brough to me by this danmed staff? How could i not have guessed?!
-Lila

P.S: And no, Lila Bramble isn't my real name. I don't give it out!

"I think a person should run only if he's being chased."
-Casey (Elijah Wood) from the Faculty (Just saw it for the fifth time!)

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-25-2002, 04:08 PM   #322
Cathelm
Animated Skeleton

Cathelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cathelm
Shield

I am very new to the forum, so please forgive me for answering the original questions.

I would like to write my own fantasy, but right now I'm just writing a fanfic about the blue wizards. I try not to copy Tolkien, although I did have to reread the chapter on Lothlorien before I could write about it.

I've been writing this for 2-3 months. The biggest pitfalls yet is not having enough criticism to judge my writing by and not having the unfinished tales with me to make sure I'm still following the storyline. I hope I don't copy Tolkien too much, but since I'm using his characters, it's kinda hard to avoid some things.

I'd never illustrate, except for the front cover. It ruins your perception of the book. If you have very bad descriptions, then please put in some pictures to help readers out.
I wish I had my own world to write about... I'm still working on it, but I don't want to be a copycat or too cheesy. Right now, I sort of have a different world on earth, magic in your own backyard kind of thing. I need to get a better picture of it first. Until then, I'll just finish my own tale of one of Tolkien's unfinished tales. I'm only 12, so I still have some time.

Thanks for letting me post this! I really enjoy reading other writer's opinions!

Here's a small part from my fanfic, Pallando and Alatar:

?Do you know that it is rude to knock people over, stranger?? Alatar inquired of the bearded man.

?Why don?t you go tell Groror the Horror that,? he replied, dusting himself off. ?Oh, I?m going to have so many bruises!?

?Stop complaining and explain yourself,? Alatar snapped. ?We have places to go, and it would be most kind of you if we had some assistance.?

?Oh yes, of course. I am Farin the Young, currently of Moria. The Horror might get me kicked out soon??

?Please, just get to the point,? Pallando said.

?Okay, okay. Groror caught me spyin? on his conversation with this lady and? oh, you don?t want to hear about that. Anyway??

?Get on with it!? Alatar?s patience was running very low.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:10 PM   #323
Cathelm
Animated Skeleton

Cathelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cathelm
Shield

Sorry about the question marks. Still not sure why it does that... They're mostly quotation marks and periods, so if you're confused, that's why.
Old 06-25-2002, 05:07 PM   #324
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Welcome, Cathelm. I know how you feel, I'm fairly new here, too. I did make up my own land and world and people, but I feared it was much too close to the layout of Hyrule of the Legend of Zelda, and too much of a leech off Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings', so I destoryed the document.

Don't worry about fanfiction, becuase it's not really copying off of Tolkien's work. And it's nice to see fellow 12 year olds out here, truly.

Quote:
You musn't worry about your physical age, for people only judge you for how you old you act.
-Something I made up about myself after people thought I was 22.

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-25-2002, 05:44 PM   #325
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

Yes, Lila -- actually, wasn't i the one who invited you to this forum? B)

More power to you if you use Baranor -- give the man more of a role than just someone's patronymic honorable mention. (seeing what diabolical deeds i've done w/ a certain cut from the cast, i really oughta talk, eh?)

Welcome Cathelm; we love young apprentice writers! (not that i'm a journeyman myself) Post early and often!

|_|) <-- here is your official AYWSF mug, which we'll probably have to fill only with "soft" drinks for you for awhile yet, but fill with your favorite virtual beverage, again, early and often.

s.t.

** waitaminit -- Lila -- you're only 12?! **

(thinking back over theme of opening salvo of your fanfic) Uff da! (filling virtual mug w/ virtual root beer float & taking good stiff drink) wow -- i'd have guessed you were at least twice that... B)

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Saxony Tarn ]
Old 06-25-2002, 06:03 PM   #326
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Heh, see? Everyone thinks I'm in my twenties, and well, I'm 13, I'm just used to saying 12, but as my quote says, it dosen't really matter, you can never be too young to write serious fantasy!

And yes, I was wondering what you were called in the disscussions, Saxony Tarn! I finally know now that it's you! I don't really understand some of the words you used (now I'm making a fool outta myself...) but I'm guessing it's okay to use Baranor.

I hoope my age dosen't lead you to stop reading my fanfictions, I swear, I write like a 20 year old!

Quote:
I think I broke something!
-Merry

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-26-2002, 10:23 AM   #327
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

Oh by the Dead Tree Lila, why would your age make me stop waiting for the next installment?! Wouldn't that be age discrimination? B)

And certainly, go ahead and use Baranor. What words didn't you understand? Am i being too abstract and confusing again? (Happens when that virtual mug gets filled one too many times, i'm afraid... B) )

s.t.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:40 AM   #328
Laiedheliel
Haunting Spirit

Location: A roaming Middle-Earth wanderer in the guise of a Ranger
Laiedheliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Laiedheliel
Sting

Lila's only 13?? Now I don't feel so young! Woo! Go us! I'm only 14.

And I check back, and no one's come up with a new groundbreaking, "How do you handle this?" question? What gives? LoL, it's not like I could come up with them, but I like to answer them. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2002, 11:14 AM   #329
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

hey Laie, i'm trying! Okay, so it's still morning out here, and i'm waiting for that caffeine to take effect! Did you answer my "who's easiest to borrow" question yet?

Okay, here's one that i'm sure's been discussed before but it's always good to hash out:

"Need-to-Know" reader info -- how do you give enough but not too much? (and how well did Tolkein pull this off, or not? i've already described the movie as "everything up to the Council of Elrond is exposition" at least once elsewhere)

One way i've found works is to have a character in the know clue in a character not in the know, say, while they're traveling (or waiting out bad weather or... to use examples from mine)

Back in past pages someone made a comment about putting the history after the opening (and i can't find it but it was up front) i bring this up because i just got asked this question by a new test reader, and want to be sure that i'm giving readers just enough info to keep them curious and yet keep the story interesting and active enough that they'll keep reading to see if they can have that curiosity satisfied. (i mean, the characters' newest party member might not consider certain things a high priority, and thus not ask, or just expect that they'll tell him what he needs to know when he needs to know it, but some readers will probably want to know such things earlier than he learns them!)

Anyone else have any ideas - gripes - good or bad examples? Bad example -- a future sci fi book i read once -- 12 chapters, 8 of which seemed to set scene and introduce characters and plot threads. Conflict didn't really get underway until Ch. 9!! i was on a crosscountry flight, so i was a captive audience in that sense. i swapped that book to a lending library as soon as i landed, in exchange for two more installments of the Destroyer series (cheap whiskey and unfiltered cigarettes for the brain) and feel i got the better of the deal...

|_|) <-- keep those pints comin'!

s.t.

[ June 26, 2002: Message edited by: Saxony Tarn ]
Old 06-26-2002, 11:16 AM   #330
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Heh, yea, discrimination is bad. And yup, I'm only 13 [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I don't think I've ever seen the word patronymic before [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Lol, thinking of it, I think I need some more of whatever that drink is...

|_|) ah, there we go! Good 'ol copy and paste! Well, I guess I should ask a question now, I haven't before.

When writing fanfiction, do you use a character mentioned sometime that was carelessly abandoned earlier in the novel/movie for an important role? Is doing this abandoning Tolkien's original ideas for the important characters?

Also, for original fantasy series, do you take someone from an unimportant role and decide to give them a big part? DO you ever reconsider the way you just left them off and pick them back up again?

Okay, that was my first attempt at asking a question so if it sucked don't get too mad
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-26-2002, 11:22 AM   #331
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Sorry for this, I was posting when you posted, Saxony!

It is always very important to give clues to leave the reader curious, if you don't give any, it gets a little boring waiting for the big event.

But it's also important not to give it away, becuase if they know what will happen, what's the use of reading the rest?

I am still lagging behing on my lotr reading, I'm reading 'the Muster of Rohan' of the Return of the King, but after visitng the downs frequently, I know just about how it all plays out, so I find it now extremely boring to read the rest of it.

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #332
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

hmm... while i was cutting that part out of my last post, you were asking this question -- Lila, i'd like to ask you if you'd be interested in test-reading my fanfic, as i've done just that with a few abandoned characters great and small, with flagrant disregard for their original fates (then again, "What-If"s do that) -- i'm interested in your opinion of how i've managed to capture, say, Pippin and your aforementioned Beregond (thus i heartily encourage you to write something about him and am looking forward to reading it)

i'd have send that to you in a Private Message but i don't see the icon come up when you post something -- so i'll have to say it where everyone else can read!

With regards to your question, there is a series that i adore and would love to take it up where the original author left it off, at a point, say, 10 years in the future, where the hero's children are ready to have their own adventures. How do i know if this would alter his plans for his series? i don't. But he did leave that open-ended, and i've got the opening of a tale somewhere at home on a diskette... (LMP -- if that's not suitable FWW material, then i'll keep digging -- but that IS a project where i would strive for eventual publication!)

|_|) <-- raise a glass!

s.t.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:16 PM   #333
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Heh, that coz I got private messaging disabled.

Yeah, i hate when authors leave off all of a sudden, sometimes I feel like I can just start to write a continuation of their story.

And yes, I would love to proofread your story! That's something (surprisingly) I like to do. I have fun seeing people's ideas of Pippin, and I'd be happy to help with Beregond, though I wasn't exactly sure of how to use him in my story.

What I can say about Beregond is that he's a kid, make him act like one! If the story is after the War of the One Ring, he's probabaly a teenager, but I think it's always kinda fun to have a kid there to just be a kid, maybe Pippin could be his little prank-partner, I usually like Merry as a serious character.

Beregond would be a good person to make immature along with Pippin, since they were friends from the start. Try to get some development with him, maybe getting a little more mature as the story goes on, dragging Pippin with him [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

Well, if you have msn, Saxony, you might wanna add me, or contact me at lila_bramble@hotmail.com. If you want, I could send some chapters of 'Master of the red Pearl' for you to proofread for me! It's always good to get your work checked!

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-26-2002, 02:08 PM   #334
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

Lila -- hate to derail your Amtrak cross-country line of thought, but BERGIL is the kid. Beregond's his father (and Baranor is the grandpa!) And yeah, Bergil gets a good line as well, i must confess...

i'd be happy to proof your stuff -- heck, after LMP invited me to FaerieWordweavers, i'm honored -- and i'll be contacting you w/ the location of the opening bits of "Trust Me" by e-mail. And now, since it looks like you & i are ruling the table, i'm going to nurse my drink for a bit & see if we can't get anybody else to gnaw on these topic bones or hunt down some new ones...

s.t.

|_|) <-- the beer flows ever on and on...
Old 06-27-2002, 10:09 AM   #335
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hey ho it's me again, been gone rummaging through the early pages of this thread for a bit (since I'm no fanfic writer). Anyway, Lila had a good question about picking up a character after putting it down and expanding the role. I guess I'm constantly doing that - which is one of the reasons I've written a whopping SEVEN revisions of the same story and am now on number EIGHT. Nothing to be proud of, by the way, just goes to show I can't seem to get it right after 15 years (more to it than that of course but it's a tangent anyway). Constantly doing that, I was saying, because I just get interested in different characters because I see them in my mind as whole personalities that I haven't really gotten to know yet, so I write about 'em.

As I mentioned, I've been rummaging through the early pages and I stumbled upon a really cool question from Nar that kind of got overlooked by everyone because she didn't really ask it as a question, just threw it out there (which was coo). It's this: do you work with any themes? what are they? and how do you go about it?

My answer is (constantly changing but i've been saying that already) currently that I'm working with a whole bunch.

Lessee:
-what's it like when two brothers go through life one getting all the breaks and the other getting none?
or
-what if all the mythologies were true (i mentioned this before but it's at the heart of my story)?
-what if good and evil are not so clearly defined by type of organization/organism but instead by characters within the organizations? My Society appears evil as a whole at first, but little by little it turns out to be a mixed bag. Same's true for my Faerie-land.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:40 AM   #336
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

welcome back, LMP -- gosh, that's deep (although not quite as deep as some of your other threads, where i need those fabled black CIA helicopters to airlift me out!)

Themes -- hmm... let's see...

1) changing of the guard (one generation takes over the reins from the other, often w/ growing pains)
2) the paranormal intrudes on the real, and the characters savvy to it have to confront & correct the situation (w/o endangering those unaware)
3) hmm... what was #3... i'll probably remember later when the caffeine kicks in. Oh yeah, that was it -- throwing two seemingly incompatible characters together & watching what alchemy results (or doesn't) -- often resulting in at least one of them (if not both) undergoing some radical change)

Guess if you looked hard enough you could find all of these in the current project -- in addition to the Purgatory angle, which just arose in the writing and made me grin so much i decided to see how far i could run with it. Decidedly UNlike LMP's other thread where he asks about Tolkein consciously editing in more of his religious outlook (despite scant presence in the main book of organized religion as we'd know it here for the characters, at least as far as i can find) and which, i might add, is a thread so deeply philosophical that you'll need an airlift to get out. Deep spiritual thinkers, explore if you dare...

Anyone else?

|_|) <-- raise a glass!

s.t.

(Hmm... ya know, i'd like to think Tolkein would have gotten a chuckle out of my sending one of his characters to Purgatory... B) i know i've been getting enough chuckles from this hypothetical character development odyssey. Now was that, redefine yourself, or re-define yourself? mmHmmm...)
Old 06-27-2002, 10:52 AM   #337
NazgulNumber10
Wight

NazgulNumber10 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

nice one lmp. I do not clearly define good or evil in my stories etheir. I leave the battle to the subconious of my characters. Anyways, none of us are good or evil, we are but shades of gray in a sky of ash.
as for the brothers thing, thats me and my little brother in simple words. He gets all the breaks and i get shunned. I think it's harder being the older one. You have no one to guide you and yet you must teach your younger siblings and be a third parent( no offence to you who have 1 or 0)
oh well enough of my ramblings
[img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2002, 04:15 PM   #338
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Fianlly LMP, nice to see you visiting us from the grave! You left me alone to ask a question!

And yes, writing can never really be perfected, it's something you should always work on, no matter how good you are!

And that's the same with me, I can hardly drop a character after introducing them. They have to come back and do something. I create personalities for every character, and I like to work with them, so I can't just drop a person.

In answer to Nar's earlier question, which I don't even think I was here for, I try not to use themes. I have genres (but dosen't everyone?) but I don't intend for a theme, I let the story flow, I just try to write something I think would get people interested. Most of my stories are things I made up in my head, little adventures to think about when I'm bored, and I just started writing them out. That's where ALL my stories come from!

Maybe one day I'll work with themes, but I don't like to be morally or trying to prove something. I like easy-going stuff where you don't have to think too much ( [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) though my stuff is usually a big web of intwined and complicated story lines annd events.

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-28-2002, 09:29 AM   #339
Celestial

Sting

This topic is very informative. There are a lot of writers here on this forum. Good Luck to you all.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:50 PM   #340
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Welcome Celestial!
I have a whole load of stuff to post here...hang on while I go and get it...

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:23 PM   #341
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Did someone mention themes?

Ok, here are the themes or issues I have used already, or have planned to use.

*Who I am - sense of person
*Ancient spirits/earth energies/powers
*Light against Dark (rather like one of Tolkien's themes)
*God (as in who, where, what, why, how type of thing - people trying to find out more)
*Preserving the world from destruction
*The human vices of violence, greed and hatred
*Xenophobia
*class system
*growing up without parents
*growing up in a large family
*Betrayal and redemption
*The importance of friendship (again like Tolkien)
*Cruelty to animals
*Prejudice against those who don't conform

There, I think thats about it.

Now, I have some questions of my own to ask, I hope they haven't been asked already, I'm a little behind, having only read up to page 5 properly.

Firstly, are your places similar to any on Earth. For example - Tolkien's Shire is supposed to be similar to England.

Secondly, How civilised to you make the people that inhabit your world? I would say that Tolkien's characters were sort of around 13th Century in English terms.

Thirdly - if you have used elves how have you portrayed them? Terry Pratchett portrays elves as forces of evil, greedy and malicious, but Tolkien portrays them as a gentle and advanced people.

There, thats me done for now - I think.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:30 PM   #342
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Anybody know any Gaelic (Celtic) or Greek? I've decided to name my two great dragons. They actually already had names, but I'm not
satisfied with them anymore. "Wrath Wyrm" and "Fury Wyrm" are just not doing it for me anymore. I'm thinking for the evil wrath wyrm, something of a mix of Greek, Latin, and Germanic and the phrase, "Doom-Sayer" or "Speaker-of-Despair". And for the Fury Wyrm something Celtic, like for "Light-Maker" or something. And the names do have to be dragony.
Old 06-28-2002, 03:54 PM   #343
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

i need a name for my great dragon too. something that rings with the sound of death and rolls with darkness off the tougne.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:01 PM   #344
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Sting

a friend of mine who's been running a delightfully engaging RPG that i'm in (Dwarven Sniper extraordinaire, figure that one out) has many dragons with various clever names, unfortunately, they're all in the vulgar tongue and trade off the AD&D dragon concepts of colors and elements, so i doubt they'd be the type of inspiration you're looking for. B( Oh well, back to the drawing board...

s.t.

(off to toil over the guest book for the fanfic project beta site -- come on guys & gals, while my back is turned you all should have come up with enough suitable draconian appellations for LMP to get us to another page. We'll be a writers' resource by then! Go us!)
Old 06-28-2002, 08:42 PM   #345
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Nazgulnumberten:

I was playing around with words for 'death' in Greek, Latin, and German. Respectively they are Thanos, Mortus (or some kind of ending) and Tot. I played around with it and came up with 'Thanomort', or 'Morthantos' or 'Morthanos' - or pick a different ending. I won't be using any of them because death isn't quite what I'm working toward for my dragon. I also know the Hittite for death, but I don't feel like I can part with it because it winds up playing a key part in my story. Ah what the heck, it's public domain.

Hittite for death: akias. Doesn't it just sound like it? Ack! Akiamort. Totakias. Thanak. Ooooh. Thanak. Huh? Hey? or Thanakon
Thanakos Thanakias. Take your pick if you like.

lmp
Old 06-28-2002, 08:54 PM   #346
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

thanx lmp, i'll think up something. or mabye use the name generator. i know elvish like i know spainish.
je ne compende pas l'espanoil.
je parle un peu francais
Old 06-28-2002, 09:40 PM   #347
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

I just thought of another thing that ticks me off. I mentioned a project that my class had to do for english were we had to write a story. And onlike most, mine conveid real emotion. It was sad and bleek, and masterful in describtion, It was wought of my inner thought and felling. My work is my soul. But the kids didn't care. All the girls were too busy talking about "Jen's story" and "how good it is". Pleaze. Everything Jen wrote deals with 9/11. She is a minipulative leech. It is so easy to evote emotion by using that. And what do you know about her story? IT SUCKS!!! can't see come up with her own ideas? I guess not.

[ June 28, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumber10 ]
Old 06-29-2002, 05:22 AM   #348
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Wow I feel ignored! :P

Wow, strong feelings Nazgul - quick - write something down - anger helps!

Old 06-29-2002, 09:40 AM   #349
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

Nazgul, whoah, strong feelings there. I know how you feel; "Oh look, she's my friend, she must be a good author! She wrote about something I liked, her story is the best!"

I remember I past in a book report in spanish dialect and I got a C because my teacher said it must be in mexican dialect. I hate living in Mexico!

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-29-2002, 11:07 AM   #350
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

thanx guys and congrats on ten pages. I did write something too. I am now on the 2nd chapter where, my main character's dark side comes out. Earlier that day, at a cermoniy of knighthood, he was exiled for lacking a knowledge of his true enemy. His king was an old, senile, fanatic who weilded a sword with the power to peer into one's soul.
so, he must leave the next moring, but he has other plans. That night the plans an escape, and also tries to murder his life-long nemisis, who he placed the blame on for his exile.
it's coming along pretty good.
this rounds on me
|_|) |_|) |_|) |_|) |_|) |_|) |_|) |_|) |_|)
Old 06-29-2002, 12:27 PM   #351
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Oops, Starbreeze, I meant to answer your questions but got all excited about the language thing and then it got so late...

Anyhow:
my story takes place in Michigan, my home state, and in Greenland, which is the dimensional equivalent to where the tower is in my land of Faerie. My Michigan venue takes to college campuses I know really well and kind of glues them together side by side to create my university. And then north of town winds up being taken from what was actually north of the place I lived when I was in high school. I don't know why there, except it just seemed like my imagination grabbed for it when I needed an unpopulated, dreary landscape.

As for civilization, my faerie realm is home to immortals and those humans they 'take' valhalla style from the earth dimension. So they keep a medieval to prehistoric kind of feel there. The immortals themselves cross the boundaries between dimensions at will, and bring back with them whatever they like, which means no technologies from the last 3 centuries. But they do know what's going on and know about jets, cars, and the rest well enough to talk about them - which they don't much because they don't care except for how it affects them - such as railroads, but that's in the story and I don't want to give it away - suffice it to say railroads have a negative effect on my Faerie realm, not unlike what they did to native american life, I suppose.

My immortals aren't elves. They're gods and goddesses, or at least deemed so by humans. That's because I'm working with the question of "what if the mythologies were true?". But my immortals run the gamut, as do Tolkien's elves, from dark and evil to fair and light.

Good questions, Starbreeze!
Old 06-29-2002, 06:20 PM   #352
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Whoo! I have some catching up to do! (Again...Grr.)

Themes?? Well, let's see.
So far I've noticed themes just sort of develop on their own in my story. I had planned on one, that had to do with discrimination, but it's pretty much minor now. Others include:

Friendship,
the good ol' Good vs. Evil
Betrayal and Redemption
Destiny/Fate
Sacrifice

That's all I can think of.

Now, to your questions, Starbreeze.
Quote:
Firstly, are your places similar to any on Earth.
I grew up in a land of plains, mountains, and forests. Mostly plains though. As a result, most of my land is v a s t emptiness. There are three main "countries" in my story. One resembles my own homeland of Prairies and Plains, the other two I guess I was thinking of my trip to Europe three years ago. To put it simply, it's pretty. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
Secondly, How civilised to you make the people that inhabit your world?
Depends what race you're talking about, and what country really. Actually, I have alot to say about this one, and I don't have much time so I'll come back to it later.

Quote:
Thirdly - if you have used elves how have you portrayed them?
I got Elves! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Portrayed them? Like Tolkien, I guess. As the good guys. However, they are not the ones saving the world everytime there's a crisis. After the first great "crisis" they disbanded from their first realm to three more realms. They're isolationalist, and have strict laws regarding humans. (Let's put it this way for Aelori, there'd be a big sign that would say: "Humans are forbidden." And for Soli, there would be a sign that would say: "WELCOME HUMANS!!" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) I won't get into the other two realms. My Elves are the "good guys" but they don't want to get involved if they don't have to. Better just let the humans deal with it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2002, 06:32 PM   #353
Lila Bramble
Haunting Spirit

Pipe

LMP, your story sounds interesting! To everyone here, www.elfwood.com has Wyverns Libraby, a place to post serious fantasy! Its great! I like to potray elfs as Tolkien does, either that, or fighters with a soft side

~Ja Ne and Peace to All~

Lila Bramble
Old 06-29-2002, 06:45 PM   #354
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

acually i wrote a 4 page essay on elves for no reason at all. i'll try to sum it up here. my elves are between 6'2 and 7'. they are tan in complexion and of muscular bulid. they grow as humans do untill the age of 25, were their groth slows to a near halt. average lifespan is about 780 years. I also have 3 archtypes of elves the firist are the frost elves of the frozen forest of Emnag. they are the smallest and least known. the next are the night elves of Elmwake. they are taller than the frost elves and have very pale complextions. as you probably figured out, they are nocturnal.
the last, and best known type is the elves of antlerous and leijia. Antlerous is an island of forested mountains and lushus valleys. It is the home land of Kaius Arrowind, one of my main characters. It is also the home of many hunters and theives, which is how it earned the nickname " rouge state". Lejia is the royal provence of the elves. The three kinds have no contact with each other. Lejia is also home to the blue elf, the emperor. Currently that is Alkmir, son of Alkmin. He rules over leijia and anterous. Leijia is mosty plains with trees typically 300 ft tall.
The first elves where born of gialari, the mother tree, with was the first living thing to be born of the grey world, and in death, gave birth to all the plants of the realm. Yet gialari was burt to ash by the great dragon, born of ski, who i have yet to name. Feels good to get that off my chest.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:00 AM   #355
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

i envy you people. you travel, you see the world, you go to all the ends of the earth.
i hadly ever go anywhere. Yet i have crossied many a league in my realm. I have climed it's mountains and swam in it's rivers. i have walked in it's forests and green valleys. I know it's golden feilds and hills like the back of my hand. I have conquered its doungens and it's towers. I have sat in it's halls and looked out from it's castles. Even the cracked earth and stagnant pools of the black watse were at my grasped. it is my world, and my home.
Old 06-30-2002, 09:03 AM   #356
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Quote:
Oops, Starbreeze, I meant to answer your questions but got all excited about the language thing and then it got so late...
Ok [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I was just wondering if something that happened on another board was happening here - I posted, and I could see it, but no one else could. It was quite funny - I thought I was being ignored and when I PMed the board admin they didn't even know I was on!

Anyway, looking at your answers there is a pattern emerging - from what I can tell most people are using a place or world that is familiar to them - its the same with me. I wonder if Tolkien had more similarities to familiar places that the Shire.

I'll be back to write more in a minute but I've got to restart my comp...

Old 06-30-2002, 09:22 AM   #357
Nimiriel
Animated Skeleton

Nimiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Nimiriel
Silmaril

Hi guys. I'm new on the Downs so I havn't read this conversation through, I will just answer the first questions.

Yes I do write serious fantasy, at least that's what I think.

I have only been working with this story for about a year, but before that I have been working with fantasy since I was... 12 I think (I'm 16 now).
My story is mostly inspiried by Tolkien, the way elves are and so on, but I don't think myself that I have copied his stories.
I'm working on a elven language and there I have met some problems, but I have dealt with it, and right now it's working out just as I want it to.

I think that was all for now, if I have missed anything please tell me and I will answer any queations you might have. (oh my, that last thing sounded very selfish, I didn't mean to)

Writing original fantasy? Meet the Wordweavers at Fww
Old 06-30-2002, 10:21 AM   #358
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Silmaril

Nimiriel, welcome! I am glad you have been able to overcome the problems you have faced.

Nazgul#10 - wow! That is exactly how I feel about my world!

Lila, thanks for the link!

[ June 30, 2002: Message edited by: Starbreeze ]

Old 06-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #359
NazgulNumber10
Wight

The Eye

wow, starbreeze, cool. it's just a little place i escape to. im revising a map ( and it's a big one ). hey wait this is my 100th post! Yeah go me !!

[ June 30, 2002: Message edited by: NazgulNumber10 ]
Old 06-30-2002, 10:32 AM   #360
Nimiriel
Animated Skeleton

Nimiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Nimiriel
Tolkien

Thank you Starbreeze. Well I haven't been working on the story for very long, so it has only been small problems, the big ones will surely come later.

Writing original fantasy? Meet the Wordweavers at Fww
Closed Thread