The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #3521
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Always happy to see new members around.
Enjoy your death,Ceveneth!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #3522
Marroc Underhill
Haunting Spirit

Marroc Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It took me awhile to work up the nerve to make a new post; I wondered whether Marroc Underhill deserved to be woken from his 6 year slumber. In the end, I felt he'd slept long enough.

It's been awhile since I ventured onto the Downs. But, nostalgia struck me, and I couldn't resist checking out the site I was crazy about back in 2003. I couldn't even remember my username; I had to reactivate a few of my old email addresses and had to go on a great hunt, with only the knowledge that I posted in a thread about eagles back in 2003 as the only clue to finding my old identity. In the end, it all worked out, and Marroc is awake.

I know, I know: big opener for someone who only made 58 posts almost 7 years ago. But, it's very nice to see that this forum is still inhabited by incredibly intelligent users; that's one thing I always associated with the Downs, and, looking back, I feel embarrassed by my old posts, with their nonsense and poor grammar and such. I was 14 though.

On with my real introduction. My name is Eric.

Like many in my generation, I watched the movies before I read the books, but, like many, I quickly became enchanted by Tolkien's world and immersed myself in his stories. This was probably 2002. During the lonely summer of 2003, I stumbled upon the Barrow-Downs, and for months it was my favorite site. After exhausting the main site, I ventured into the forums. I was probably overwhelmed by the vast knowledge of the users, and the incredible discussions here were wowing and mind-boggling to say the least. But, I read, and read, and read. Every now and then I would post, enthusiastic about the community, but still lowly feeling - But I didn't care. It was great.

Over the next few months I lingered, but as I felt I had nothing to contribute to the community, I slowly drifted away. For the longest time, I had forgotten about the Downs (but most definitely not LotR). It was only the chance, stumbling mention (by me, strangely) that piqued my interest once again. As detailed above, driven by nostalgia and memories of this and other (long-dead) communities, I went on my little mission, and after some ghostly lingering, here I am.

I cannot tell you how great it is to see that the forum is still up and running - and hardly changed at all layout-wise. That's the most exciting part for me; if it weren't for the time-stamps, I could swear it was 2003 all over again. The icons are still awesome looking; that familiar green theme is great; even the randomized quotes at the top are still there! Even my dusty old posts are still lying about. This is great, to say the least.

From the oldest, dustiest bones lying around, to the newly interred, I thank you all for keeping this community alive after all these years. It may be hard for some people to understand, but these forums hold a lot of great memories for me.

Thank you.

Re-risen,
Marroc Underhill
Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #3523
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1420!

Welcome back, Marroc!

As I recall, I wasn't all that active here myself during 2003, so I unfortunately don't remember you.
You're right though, in that as far as intelligent discussion and general fun are concerned, the old place is the same as ever.
Here's to your comeback!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #3524
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Once a Downer, forever a Downer...
Hi Marroc! I think your previous period of activity must have been around the time I first came to the Downs as an occasional silent lurker (with no regular internet access at the time, it took me years to register), and although I can't remember whether or not I noticed you back then, it's always a pleasure to see one of the shades who haunted this place before me returning from the Halls of Mandos. So welcome back, and well met!
Old 03-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #3525
Marroc Underhill
Haunting Spirit

Marroc Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Thanks for the warm welcome!

This forum is most definitely a must-visit for anyone interested in a deeper understanding of Tolkien's work, and is a veritable treasure trove of knowledge, with pages and pages of article-quality posts written by the obviously talented writers who have come, gone, or stayed over the last 10 years.

I'm definitely going to enjoy my second stay on the Downs!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #3526
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up Welcome again!

Welcome for a second time, Marroc!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #3527
starofthedunedain
Newly Deceased

starofthedunedain has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Hello! I'm starofthedunedain, I found this place through Loslote's linky in her sig. I know her from CoE.

What's up with the Newly Deceased title?
starofthedunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #3528
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Welcome, starofthedunedain!

'Newly Deceased' is just a nod to the theme of the forum: you're another decaying addition to our Barrow.
Over time, those statuses will change to reflect your increasing post count.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #3529
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starofthedunedain View Post
Hello! I'm starofthedunedain, I found this place through Loslote's linky in her sig. I know her from CoE.
*glomps* Starod! So glad you made your way over here!
Old 03-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #3530
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, starofthedunedain!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #3531
Ceveneth

Ceveneth has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree Hi!!

Hi Starod! I'm Emeraldstar on COE. Welcome to the Downs!!
Ceveneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #3532
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
I can never get beyond here it seems

I am still an old member, and I can never seem to get around to any of the other parts of the forum. I blame my school, Real life, and Millways.

>.> I'm back!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #3533
shadowfax
Animated Skeleton

shadowfax has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, from Shadowfax

H,

I'm new on this forum so will just say hi.

I'm using the name Shadowfax as I had that name on different others forums in the past and this establishes some continuity.

Is there anybody here who remembers me from the White Council? Must be 10 years ago about. maybe we can re-hash some of our conversations from back then

I've grown a bit older since then, but not any wiser.

About myself, as you can gather from my signature, I'm involved with the Walking Tree publishers. This is a volunteer run publisher. We do it all in our free time and for free. You can visit our webiste here : http://www.walking-tree.org

Using this opportunity, I'd ike to divert your attention to our lastest book, Beowulf and The Dragon http://www.walking-tree.org/books/be...the_dragon.php illustarted by Anke Eissmann and printed as a high quality art book. We're very proud of having done this.

A bit more about myself. i've penned various hsort bits of fan lit over the yaers but haven't had much time recently. You can check out some of my work here: http://www.proaktiva.ch/shadowfax/tolkien/aglared/. Some of it is better than other bits, and I'd like one day to do some more ...

My favourite so far is my poem, Elven Passing http://www.proaktiva.ch/shadowfax/to...enPassing.html.

Okay, that's my introduction for a start. I'm sure 've missed a lot of important stuff and can add that later.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #3534
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White-Hand Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, shadowfax! I've already replied to one of your posts.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #3535
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hello Shadowfax, how nice to meet you here on the Barrow-Downs!
You will probably not recognize me under my nick here, but we know each other from the late Eredain.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #3536
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Eye

Hi

I'm Jaci (said like jackie...) I'm not quite sure how I found this. (And it was only a few minutes ago! Ha!) Found it. On another forum a the book War of Thorns come up and I wanted to see what it was about and who wrote it, instead I found this. I love LotR (And need to finish the books) and now that I found this, would like to learn more!

PS On the other forum I'm know as Metal Fan.
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #3537
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up Enjoy being dead and buried

Welcome, Blind Guardian! You're named after a very good band with which I should acquaint myself much more.

PS. Also warm and belated (re)welcomes Ceveneth, Marroc, starofthedunedain, Annalaliath and shadowfax!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #3538
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Yes, thank you. I do love Blind Guardian.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #3539
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I'm sorry, I just have to say this...
ENJOY BEING DEAD! Muahahaha...

Sorry
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:34 AM   #3540
Beorn of Carrock
Pile O'Bones

Beorn of Carrock has just left Hobbiton.
Hello.

I'm newly registered here, though a Tolkien fan for years.

I have in my possesion the LoTR, Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, Silmarillion, full the HoME series and the the Atlas of Middle Earth of Fonstad.

Apart frim LoTR, I'm interested in modding, and here are some examples of my work

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=353006
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=323812

regards,
Beorn of Carrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #3541
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome Beorn of Carrock! Hope you are going to feel at home here. Apart from that, looks like you're a creative spirit indeed. I can partly relate to that, I don't have personal experience with Total War or such, but in my youth (read: a few years back) I have commited several similar crimes (although on a far smaller scale).

Anyway, enjoy your stay!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #3542
Beorn of Carrock
Pile O'Bones

thanks, mate.
Dunno how active shall I be here, but it seems the right place to discuss Tolkien properly
Old 05-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #3543
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Nice mods. I know what I'll be downloading next time I boot up in windows.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #3544
Beorn of Carrock
Pile O'Bones

thanks, sir!
Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #3545
ecthelion
Pile O'Bones

ecthelion has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everyone. My name is Ecthelion (after my favorite elf) and been a Tolkien fan for about six years. THis is my first Tolkien forum so I'm really excited.

But it is really nice to meet hardcore Tolkkien fans like myself for once.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #3546
Erendis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Imloth Melui,with Yoreth's sister...Just finished the Panadol stock.
Erendis has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Erendis Send a message via Skype™ to Erendis
Welcome to the Downs,ecthelion!Searching for hardcore Tolkien fans you said?For sure of that you will find here!

Greetings also to Beorn of Carrock!Very nice job,indeed!And from where Troa comes?

Anyway,both of you enjoy being dead!

Last edited by Erendis; 05-09-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Erendis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #3547
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hello there! My screen name, Lastande Took, is a combination of my name in Quenya (hope that website was right ) and one of my favourite Hobbit family names. I read LotR for the first time a couple months ago, got through the trilogy and The Hobbit in a week, and have not seen the movies. Ummm...I'm a total horse nut, I'm also a Sherlock Holmes, Star Wars, and Isaac Asimov fan. My name on Fanfiction.net is Karm Starkiller, and I've written two Star Wars fanfics, one of which is still in progress, a Holmes/War of the Worlds crossover that I'm going very slowly on, and a Holmes/LotR crossover parody.

My favourite LotR characters are, in no particular order; Samwise Gamgee, Pippin Took, Shadowfax and all other horses, Eowyn - she's totally awesome, all the other Hobbits, Faramir, and Gandalf - who has some very Sherlock Holmesian overtones, if you ask me.
Lastande Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #3548
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Welcome to the Downs. You've come to the right place for intelligent Tolkien conversation.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:51 PM   #3549
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield Welcome!

Welcome to the Downs, Lastande Took! I must check out your fanfics.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #3550
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post
Welcome to the Downs, Lastande Took! I must check out your fanfics.

Thanks! And please read my fics. I always like reviews.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 AM   #3551
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
Greetings to all new members! This is the place to introduce yourself and be welcomed by other members. Feel right at home! (The old thread is closed due to its length.)

If you haven't read any information about posting on the Downs yet, please check out the Forum FAQ thread. Should you have questions that aren't answered there, you're welcome to send a PM (private message) to me or to Legolas, moderators of this forum, or to the moderator(s) of the forum on which you'd like to be active.
Just registered here today.
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #3552
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Welcome, morwen!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #3553
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Welcome to the Downs, morwen! Enjoy your death.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #3554
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Greetings Blind Guardian! I should check this more often, seeing as I have already seem you about on the Downs. Also a warm welcome to Beorn of Carrock, ecthelion, Lastande Took, and morwen edhelwen! I hope your deaths were not as painful as mine.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #3555
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwen edhelwen View Post
Just registered here today.
Hello hello hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Greetings Blind Guardian! I should check this more often, seeing as I have already seem you about on the Downs. Also a warm welcome to Beorn of Carrock, ecthelion, Lastande Took, and morwen edhelwen! I hope your deaths were not as painful as mine.

My death was not painful at all, just secret, since my parents don't like me to get involved in fantasy. On a similar note, I recently joined the Council of Elrond site. I'm Lastande Took there as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #3556
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Dark-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastande Took View Post

My death was not painful at all, just secret, since my parents don't like me to get involved in fantasy. On a similar note, I recently joined the Council of Elrond site. I'm Lastande Took there as well.

Me too, I'm known as Metal Fan though. (ugh...) hello everyone! Hope you enjoy being dead as much as I do!!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #3557
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastande Took View Post
I've seen you around - I'm Loslote there, too.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #3558
morwen edhelwen
Haunting Spirit

morwen edhelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I've seen you around - I'm Loslote there, too.
Hi Loslote and Lastande!- Morwen
morwen edhelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #3559
phillipdunlap18
Newly Deceased

phillipdunlap18 is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Hello Everbody

Hello Everbody and nice to be part of this forum
phillipdunlap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #3560
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Welcome.