The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2002, 08:16 AM   #1
The Green Ringwraith
Haunting Spirit

Location: On the edge of the world I'll roam and the home of the wolf will be my home.
The Green Ringwraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Green Ringwraith Send a message via AIM to The Green Ringwraith
Sting What if someone ELSE was the Ringbearer? What would've happened???

What do you think would have happend, say, Pippin was the Ringbearer? Or Legolas? Or maybe even someone that wasn't in the Fellowship? Your thoughts...
Old 07-30-2002, 08:37 AM   #2
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

If poor Pippin was the Ringbearer, we would be in serious trouble. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] He'd probably drop it down a well! And when he looked into the Palantir? Eek. Not good.
Legolas or Gimli would have been interesting, but Aragorn and Gandalf would have been seriously bad- Aragorn having to take the roll of King later, and Gandalf being an Istari. I don't know how Merry would have taken it, but I don't think I would have given it to him, light hearted soul that he is. Boromir would have been a disaster, obviously.
Sam, now *he* would have been the most interesting to watch. I bet he would, too, volunteer to take the Ring so his Master won't have too- and he even does, for a while anyway. (And such delusions of grandeur- Master Gardner! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ) Anyone want to puzzle on what would have happened to him?
Old 08-05-2002, 03:06 PM   #3
Shadowstrife911
Animated Skeleton

Shadowstrife911 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowstrife911
Sting

I think we can safely say that Boromir wouldn't have been their first choice [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2002, 03:15 PM   #4
Cerin

Sting

I know Aragorn would have been reliable enough...and he seemed to have more strength to resist the power of the Ring.

But I`m not so sure Gollum would have taken him to Mordor so easily [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2002, 07:31 AM   #5
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Aragorn, now... strenght, yes, but too much power, too much Numenor in his blood (after all, that particular continend DID sink!)
It has to be someone 'weak', like a hobbit; even gollum did relatively little harm all those years he had it, whereas a heir of Isildur... who has Sauron to thank for not having had a kingdom all those long centuries since Valandil... Better to utilize Aragorn's loyalty: he would never, ever steal or cheat, that is beneath him. So a perfect guardian to the Ringbearer.

Of the hobbits, Sam might do well... but HE has no faithful servant to support him! And he wouldn't let anyone, the humle guy who wants to carry twice the package the others have... it would be difficult for Sam to accept support and an important position... he's so surprised to end up as the Mayor of the Shire, how could he handle being Ringbearer any longer than he absolutely has to!

Pippin... would put it on. Just to see what happens.

And if Merry had it, Pippin would pick his pockets and put the ring on. Their friendship would suffer, Pippin is no Samwise.

If Legolas had it? The son of Thranduil, Thranduil who likes jewellery a LOT.. we would have another 'Denethor' demanding his son bring him a 'valuable gift'? And all the High Elves would be offended by the choosing of a Forest Elf... also, though I presume Legolas isn't a crown prince, there might just be the same problem as with Aragorn. Also, Legolas would get depressed and want to sail over the ocean... the elves ARE waning, their sun is setting...

Gimli? Are you nuts, he's a dwarf and it's GOLD!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:07 AM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gold or not, didn't dwarves have more resistence to the wiles of the Enemy when they were created? The Silm says this, I believe. Aule knew Morgoth was on the loose at the time, and built it into their system.

sharon
Old 08-10-2002, 07:48 PM   #7
Lord Tohlos
Pile O'Bones

Lord Tohlos has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I would have chossen Boromir to take it...MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Elves? Pah! I would rather fight with an army of Orcs then fight with Elves!"
Lord Tohlos is offline   Reply With Quote