The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 03:43 PM   #281
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dűm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

um...no. it's a long story
NN10: DON'T SAVE INVADER ZIM, EH?!
ah, subliminaly messaging...
Old 09-08-2002, 04:13 AM   #282
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Phoenix Solitude has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix Solitude Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Solitude
Tolkien

What about me? What would I never say?
Suicidal elf chick: Faeries? Nah, can't stand the things.
Cimmerian: One and two line posts are wonderful! I want more of them!
Me: Dragons? Faeries? Nymphs? What in the heck are they?
Old 09-08-2002, 09:19 AM   #283
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Me- Tigers? Nah, there's enough out there for a while. Besides, they're wild animals, they can take care of themselves.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:38 AM   #284
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mithadan: Tar-Miriel, Ar-Pharazon, Tar-Palantir, Ar-Gimilzor,Ar-Sakalthor, .....
Old 09-09-2002, 07:25 PM   #285
Rosseiliantiel
Wight

Rosseiliantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Halbereth Diagona: Faerie blood? Umm, not canon, no way!

Cimmerian: In this RPG, I shall play a bunny named Fluffy!

Losthuniel: (pronounces a bunch of Sindarin words wrong), my character has blue hair and can control the elements!

The BW: I'm going to start a thread called: THE PANTS GAME CONTINUED! MWAHAHAHA!
Other Admin: GOOD IDEA!

Sorry, everyone whom I have just mortally offended!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:40 PM   #286
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

What I would never Post
Don't Vote for the Barrow-Downs [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2002, 10:04 PM   #287
Arie
Animated Skeleton

Arie has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

this one is weird:
'Give me a good rating' har har har-that i would never post [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-10-2002, 03:25 AM   #288
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lothiriel, I'm truly amazed that you haven't already taken several shots on me, since one thing we both know I would NEVER post is:

'I hate Sauron'. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Maikadilwen ]
Old 09-10-2002, 01:36 PM   #289
Artilien
Pile O'Bones

Artilien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Artilien
Sting

ok, here's what I'd never say:
Drawing? What's that? Why to draw??? I mean that's so boring! I mean why to draw if there are other things to do????
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: Artilien ]
Old 09-10-2002, 02:14 PM   #290
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

LOL, Birdie, you can also put me down for never saying, "I lurve Legolas." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

How's this for you: "Give me a Viking anyday."

and Pio, "Holly needs a make-over."

and VanimaEdhel, "Next RP I want to play a dwarf."

and Oro, "Cirdan builds rotten ships."

Bethberry [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 10, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 09-10-2002, 03:26 PM   #291
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Birdland: "I can't imagine why anybody would want to swim. Or fly. Terra firma is all I need."

Piosenniel: "Predictable. Keep it predictable."

Child of the Seventh Age: "Lore, shmore; history, shmistory. It's high time I played a Balrog."

Bethberry: "Nobody needs any theological or philosophical reason for anything that they do, so stop looking."
Old 09-11-2002, 04:27 AM   #292
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dűm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Birdland - Hm, I think I'll take a rest today from making fun of teenagers, who so desperately try to match their addled wits with well settled, graying Tolkien elitists like me and my equally boring friends. And I think I’ll not make fun of sweet thirteen years olds who try so hard to meet my high and mighty standards as well.

Child of 7th Age – My dear, dear friends… when I start typing I loose control and tend to ramble on. But can you blame me if I do? I am just a simple hobbit; hardly as tall or skilled as some of you… all I can do is speak my mind. Please bear with me and read all that I write, since you people have nothing else to do.

Bethberry - Oh Pshaw! Today I will take a break from showing off to these teenagers of how well resourced and informed I am about Tolkien and his writings. Those kids can die trying, but never quite get to my state of elevated pompousity.

Gandalf_the_Grey - I guess I'll not use these asterisks anymore, since I don't really know why I do... how about obelisks instead. Oh yeah, I have had it with playing an established character confined to his set rules and characteristics. Let me try creating a new character and fit him in within the bounds of the Tolkien universe. Hmmm.

Poisenniel – Get on with the game, and to hell with what you guys previously posted. Why can’t we all be spontaneous like Cimmerian?

Barrow Wight – Cimmerian, great to have you back out of your side of the fence. Here take my sword.

Cimmerian – I don’t really mean anything by these comments; it’s just some fun. If you’re offended, you must be very insecure about your place here. After all you people are so much better versed in it, and we kids can just try. Ah, kids today. We really need to be put in our place.

Elenna – Why did I take this job?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:55 AM   #293
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thenamir: "My life has really improved since I joined the Green party!"
Old 09-11-2002, 11:29 AM   #294
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cimmerian - "I think I'll think today."
Old 09-11-2002, 11:55 AM   #295
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Everyone: 'Let's all be nice to each other...'
Old 09-11-2002, 12:31 PM   #296
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan: LET'S BE NICE TO EACH OTHER, OR ELSE!!!!!

Private grievances should not be aired in a public forum. If anyone has been offended here, please refrain from posting until tempers cool.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 09-11-2002, 12:59 PM   #297
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Mister Underhill: It makes me all warm inside to see such shining examples of our “no flaming” policy! Well, since there’s no moderating to be done at this love-fest, I think I’ll indulge myself and go participate in a discussion somewhere!
Old 09-11-2002, 02:38 PM   #298
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
'I hate Sauron'.
Mai, what is wrong with me! How could I have not put that [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Mai: I just hate Sauron. Him and his stupid armor. Stupid Mordor. Tolkien should have never thought up something as boring and completely stupid as a place like Mordor! He should have wrote more about fluffy bunnies and nice people, not some evil dark lord. And don't even get me started on Morgoth!
Old 09-11-2002, 02:55 PM   #299
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

*applause*

Take a bow, Mark12_30, for some perceptive wit! You have very cleverly pinpointed one my pet peeves.

Now, add to my list of still to do: Gandalf the Grey, Mark12_30, littlmanpoet, Ith, ....
Old 09-11-2002, 03:33 PM   #300
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

*Applause for Bethberry. Take a bow for turning the other cheek!
Old 09-11-2002, 03:55 PM   #301
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Cimm- I'm not trying to hint anything! Really I'm not!

Let's be mature. I have had a bad day and don't want to come here only to see people being flamed. Is it their fault they're intelligent? No. Is it their fault that they choose to use it well? ...wait, that was rhetorical, don't answer that.

My point is, and considering the mood I'm in I could be much more forward: Keep your opinions about the 'Tolkien elitists' to yourself or between you and them. I DON'T want to hear about it, as I'm sure many others do not.

Please excuse my off-topic rant.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:17 PM   #302
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
The Eye

(When I started this thread, I did not intend it to be used by people to insult each other to the point of cyber warfare. Do it on your own time, please, darlings.)

Mithadan: "I'm catching the next Greyhound to Duke! Lush and I are gettig wasted at Sigma Chi tonite!"

Squatter of Amon Rudh: "Thoughful discussion? Uhhh. I just came to the Downs to meet chicks."

Gandalf_thegrey: *stumbles in without knocking, tracking dirt across the shining floor, plops ungracefully into Lush's lap, and lights a cheap cigarette* "Aragorn was an idiot, man! Dragging half a sword around! What was he thinking, dude?"
Old 09-11-2002, 04:21 PM   #303
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Eye

LUSH: i'm gonna become a nun.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:23 PM   #304
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Me - I don't wallow in self-pity ever! Really! I find it quite annoying!

Most of the people I RP with - RPG's with quests?! What are those?! Give me a good old party RPG any day!

Barrow-Wight - Now! To announce the newest BD contest! In 500 words or less, write why you would be the best match for Orlando Bloom, Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean, Sean Astin, Hugo Weaving, Christopher Lee, Ian McKellan, or any other actor from Lord of the Rings!

Lush - Like, hi! Like, how, like, are you? I'm, like, totally cool over, like here! *Cracks her gum and flips her hair*

Cimmerian - you're right: everyone hates you Rachel. Leave me alone and get a life!

You never would say that to my face, would you, Cimmy? *Pouts*
Old 09-12-2002, 12:35 AM   #305
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdland - "I'm sorry."

Oh, wait. Shoot! This is the thread where we post things we'd never say.

And I'm really, truly saying "I'm sorry."
Old 09-12-2002, 10:43 AM   #306
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bethberry

Holly could use a good foot wax! Dip into that bag of unguents, salves, and other remedies and see if you can find something for her.

And while you're in there, if you have a little green clay powder, the girl could definitely use a facial!!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2002, 11:14 AM   #307
Telwilyeil Greenleaf
Pile O'Bones

Telwilyeil Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Telwilyeil Greenleaf
Sting

You guys are funny.....
Old 09-12-2002, 12:47 PM   #308
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I'm not angry, but I am sad that this could happen.

This is a rare place. It's one of the few boards where people who love Tolkien can get together and use their imaginations. If your town is like mine, there aren't a lot of Tolkienites coming across your daily path. So you turn here now and then to share with others who have similar interests.

When you sit at the keyboard and type, no one knows how old you are, the color of your skin, the country you come from, or a thousand other things unless you choose to tell them. It's not like school. There's nobody to grade you, or give exams, or complain you're "too young" or "too old" to know anything. You've got to be brave enough to stick your neck out and share your ideas, but that's the only requirement.

This place is pretty special. But there's one thing you can do to destroy it. You can tear down the bonds of trust which exist between the people who come here. You can play old against young, male against female, U.S. residents against those overseas. You name it! Build a special box to put one or more people in, and start throwing bricks. Believe me, it's not hard to do.

Hurtful comments with specific names attached DO NOT belong here. It has nothing to do with insecurities. It's a simple matter of showing respect for others. And that respect should exist between old and young, going in both directions. To the best of my knowledge, I have always given that to others. If not, if I've ever blown it and hurt someone, I'm truly sorry.

Cimmerian - I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You're a great RPGer. You have spunk, energy, and imagination. Sure, your style is different than mine. But, who cares? What crazy person would want us all to be the same? BORING!

The younger people are the heart and soul of this site, and that's how it should be. Without them, the Downs would not exist. They have the verve and enthusiasm and humor to lead things forward. But there are a few of us rare birds who even remember when LotR first came out. And that's ok too, because that memory--a bit like the ancient lore which the Elves told--is also precious.

Now, let's "can" this and go back to posting.

sharon

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-12-2002, 01:19 PM   #309
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

All of you STOP THIS INSANITY!!!

You are all insulting Cimm because he's rude to you, but your comments are equally, if not more cruel.

And Cimm isn't alone in his beliefs - I started a topic to complain about the state of the RPG room, what with people chatting and lacking in creativity, and WHAM! ended up with a moderatorship.

It's true - this forum is a wonderful place. If it weren't, I wouldn't spend so much time here. And I hate to see it torn apart like this.

So Cimm - I understand where you're coming from, but for the sake of harmony can you tone it down a little?

And everyone else - Can't we all just get along?
Old 09-12-2002, 01:20 PM   #310
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Oh, Pio,

I'm all out of Dead Sea salts and I have Swedish rubbing stones on back order. (Those dwarves can be slow in the summer.)

Mud masks this time of year are rather drying, so I would suggest a fresh cucumber mask instead. And by next week the herbal salve for blistered, calloused feet will be ready.

Cosmetics are more profitable than herbs [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Bethberry

Edit: This is a joke about things my character would never say.

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 09-12-2002, 02:15 PM   #311
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

OK. I'm thoroughly annoyed now. This has not been a good day. Let's see what tomorrow will be like. On my end, we will try to sort through this matter. For everyone else, this thread is closed for 24 hours.

COOL DOWN!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:35 AM   #312
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Now that everyone has presumably calmed down and all issues have been resolved, I am reopening this thread several hours early. Please keep future posts on-topic (refer to the first post on the thread if need be) and good natured.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:00 PM   #313
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Here's one that we should ALL say:

I'm sorry.

And I am. Now, back to fun and games!
Old 09-14-2002, 09:11 AM   #314
Phoenix Solitude
Animated Skeleton

Phoenix Solitude has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Phoenix Solitude Send a message via AIM to Phoenix Solitude
Tolkien

What about me? What would I never say? I think this is something.
Me: Please rate me!
OR
Me: I really hate Cimmerian. He bugs me sooo much. (BTW, me and Cim are actually quite good mates if you don't mind me saying so Cim, so that's the nature).
ME: Anyone who calls me Sol will die a very painful death!
Halbereth Diagona: Please call me Halbi it's such a cute name!
Old 09-15-2002, 05:15 PM   #315
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Halbereth said I could call him Halbi! I don't think he minds too much...LOL

Random thought: back to the merriment!
Old 09-17-2002, 10:05 AM   #316
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Me: Oooh! Is that embroidery? I LOOOOOVE embroidery.

Me: RPGing is so lame. I think I'm going to stick with purely factual discussion from now on.

Cimmerian: Hear hear!
Old 09-17-2002, 06:28 PM   #317
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Me: My comm. apps. teacher is the best teacher in the world! Why do I only get 1 semester with her?
or
Me: My geometry teacher doesn't give enough homework.
Sorry for the non-Middle Earth post. Just ignore me. . .
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #318
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

A couple of jests for my best RP-friends:

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood: * punches Calad in the face * I hate you, you stupid elf! Die!

and.... "Mirkwood? Legolas? Wazzat?"

ColletteTook: "I have decided that I shall no longer be a hyperactive fool. From now on, I shall be the most serious person in the Barrow-Downs. Oh, and the best speller in the Barrow-Downs, as well."

Alkanoonion (Sorry if I misspell your name): "Welcome to the Barrow... ah, forget it."
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 09-22-2002, 02:25 PM   #319
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

obloquy: I expect I will be posting quite a bit. I've been a friend of the Elves for a long time, but only recently have I been consulting their lore books, and it's been very exciting.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:28 PM   #320
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Eye

gimli: banned again...oh no! (sniff) now i have nothing to live for...
Closed Thread