The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Thumbs up Sweeet!

The Christmas season is over, but I found an LotR version of that perennial holiday favorite - gingerbread/candy house - that a fan and friends created: The Battle of Helm's Deep! The site shows pictures of a wonderfully quirky work of sub-creativity - and doesn't it look yummy too! (That's me fantasizing about helping to "dispose" of it afterwards - though it would be a shame to destroy such a fantastic scenario!)

Oh, and here's more: LotR Desserts...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 01-19-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sir,

Why, it's a disgrace! Encouraging children to play with their food? If I had done such a thing I would have been sent to bed without any supper! I think Anne Widdecombe should be told and then heads will roll. The youth of today don't know they have been born.

Yours,

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

That just beats hands down my childhood efforts at making 'authentic' farmland scenes in my dinner by ploughing fields in my mashed potatoes and adding broccoli hedgerows and carrot dry stone walls. Fabulous.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Fantastic- my cousin did a cake for her daughter's 18th birthday last month of Discworld balanced on the Great A tuin and supported by 4 fondant elephants. It was so wonderful we couldn't bear to cut it. I wonder if for my birthday ..well I wouldn't expect ALL of Middle Earth as a cake ..but Rivendell or Caras Galadhon would be nice ...

And for the matrimonially inclined how about Minas Tirith formed with a 7 tiered wedding cake.... Lal ..I think that is the way to go

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-20-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
As long as we're linking to caloric LotR versions, here's another: Lord of the Peeps.

Oh, the Minas Tirith wedding cake idea is splendid, Mithalwen!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 01-19-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen

And for the matrimonially inclined how about Minas Tirith formed with a 7 tiered wedding cake.... Lal ..I think that is the way to go
I'm afraid davem would form a kind of metaphorical superior Orc regiment and utterly demolish Minas Tirith within hours if it was in cake form. It'd last longer if made from carrots and other vegetable matter...

Personally I'd be quite tempted by a Dead Marshes cheese fondue with bits of garlic floating in it to represent the dead Elveses...
Old 01-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Following the links around the internet, I found another goodie: Shelob cake. Now isn't that appetizing?!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
My last birthday my father () and my little sister made me a cake that looked like the map of Middle-Earth. (The chocolate-mountains were really cool... and tasted great!) They had the birthday candles set in important places, such as Hobbiton, Minas Tirith, Edoras, Esgaroth, Barad-dûr... It was very fine, a bit too big (they wanted it big enough to show the details) and I'm very sad I didn't take a photo of it! (Hope they'll make me a new one some year....)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:13 AM   #8
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
My last birthday my father () and my little sister made me a cake that looked like the map of Middle-Earth. (The chocolate-mountains were really cool... and tasted great!) They had the birthday candles set in important places, such as Hobbiton, Minas Tirith, Edoras, Esgaroth, Barad-dûr... It was very fine, a bit too big (they wanted it big enough to show the details) and I'm very sad I didn't take a photo of it! (Hope they'll make me a new one some year....)
Well, someone is just lucky... (ENVY!!!)
The only similar thing I remember in my life was me trying to make lembas when I was about 9 years old... I still wonder by what miracle our kitchen didn't catch fire... and that it was almost edible in the end (although it was probably as close to lembas as to a baked balrog wing... no wonder, since I made the recipe myself...).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien
They had the birthday candles set in important places, such as Hobbiton, Minas Tirith, Edoras, Esgaroth, Barad-dûr...

Was it an extra big flaming eye candle for Barad-dur? Well done Noggie and Sister of Lommie..

I have decided that a Cerin Amroth cake would be great - fulfilling my profound longing for mellyrn in combination with a cake that could be eaten (the hill bit saing the sugar craft trees) ....

And Lal..wouldn't attacking a cake Minas Tirith be so much more fun than most wedding receptions? You could have load little catapaults with maltesers for added chocolate ...

But if you won't have it as a wedding cake .. how about a confectionery based reconstruction of the battle of the Pellenor Fields as an Oxonmoot event ..... got to be better than that chap's singing .

Old 01-20-2007, 06:33 AM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:

And Lal..wouldn't attacking a cake Minas Tirith be so much more fun than most wedding receptions? You could have load little catapaults with maltesers for added chocolate ...

But if you won't have it as a wedding cake .. how about a confectionery based reconstruction of the battle of the Pellenor Fields as an Oxonmoot event ..... got to be better than that chap's singing .
davem wants a Homer Simpson cake from Tesco. But I like the sound of malteser catapults, with all the potential for a food fight.

I'm all for some messing about with food at Oxonmoot! Can we involve some bacon and cheese as I'm partial to me savouries? I could make Cheesestring ropes, pork pie rock missiles, and chicken wing fell beasts. Tell you what, the Dark side can be savoury and Gondor can be sweet! The Dead Army can be represented by me, hoovering up all that meat and cheese...and to keep davem happy, we shall represent the River Anduin with a trail of Hobgoblin ale with little boats made from cheese Doritos and Mars bars.

Listen, some macrobiotic food made of mung beans and carpet would be better than that singing...

This is a very good idea!

Old 01-20-2007, 06:53 AM   #11
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

nice idea, maybe Battle of the Pelennor Fields next with candy Mumaks?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
A couple of years ago my birthday cake was an ice cream cake decorated as the Gates of Moria. A bit tricky for the poor cake decorator, but it turned out quite lovely. I really hated to eat it...

I'm sure my mom has a picture of it somewhere. I suppose I could ask her to email it to me so I could post what it looked like.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
davem wants a Homer Simpson cake from Tesco. But I like the sound of malteser catapults, with all the potential for a food fight.

I'm all for some messing about with food at Oxonmoot! Can we involve some bacon and cheese as I'm partial to me savouries?
Listen, some macrobiotic food made of mung beans and carpet would be better than that singing...

This is a very good idea!

Fortunately I don't think Gillian McKeith is a Tolkien Soc member ... On the savoury side I will mock up mount doom as a setting for my Chocolate fountain but run it with thai chili sauce instead ... have prawn tempura orcs ..love Japanese food..

and how about lamb cutlet spiders?

Brinniel ...that sounds incredible .. if it wouldn't be too much trouble for your mamma ? *looks hopeful*

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-24-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #14
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Gummy orcs, now wouldn't they take the cake!

I found a rather bizarre link when I tried to google Tolkien Food under images. This is the image I got, from an American library website, Book Buzz:

I wonder if it has something to do with hobbit dietary practices?
Old 01-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

1420!

Quote:
Fortunately I don't think Gillian McKeith is a Tolkien Soc member ... On the savory said I will mock up mount doom as a setting for my Chocolate fountain but run it with thai chili sauce instead ... have prawn tempura orcs ..love Japanese food..

and how about lamb cutlet spiders?
If the McKeith woman is a member then I'll soon get rid of her with my tobacco habit...

Teriyaki Orc would be very tasty - could use strips of chicken and mushroom with noodles for their whips. And for spiders how about queen scallops with strings of dill for their legs ("they don't need them...")? I think Sauron though must be the supreme goods of all savoury foods...how about a great big (red) rib-eye steak?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #16
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
The Shelob cake reminds of Steal Magnolias when Shelby's (Julia Roberts) mother-in-law made that armadillo cake with red velvet insides. I suppose Shelob would have lime green insides.

Here's my attempt at Ted Nasmith's Bag End as seen on the front cover of The Hobbit (Bantam). It was for my second daughter's fifth birthday back in '02. We didn't get to eat it cause I stored it over night in the oven and didn't realize the pilot light would melt it.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #17
FeRaL sHaDoW
Wight

FeRaL sHaDoW has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to FeRaL sHaDoW
i shall never look at helms deep again.... so much sacrafice so much pain and suffering oh yeah and all that sugar.

someone should make the death of denethor frame by frame, be fun seeing a flaming gummy bear or something falling off a table done up as minis tirith

Last edited by FeRaL sHaDoW; 01-25-2007 at 11:17 PM.
FeRaL sHaDoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #18
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, I'm finally back home with access to old photographs. Since it's been requested, I shall post some pictures of my birthday cake.

The first photo shows off the decoration pretty nicely. The cake decorator really did a wonderful job. The second photo has a nice touch with a miniature of Glamdring in the background.

Happy 16?! Almost three years ago...has it really been that long?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan.jpg (23.8 KB, 636 views)
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (19.1 KB, 901 views)
Old 03-05-2007, 04:04 PM   #19
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'll have to poke around for the picture, but for my sister's birthday a couple years ago my mom and I teamed up to make a Legolas cake. It was just a sheet cake with Orli's face and some Sindarin on it... but I tell you what, making flesh-coloured icing is HARD!!
In downtown Pittsburgh they have a gingerbread house competition every Christmas, and there've been some LotR-themed houses. The winner this year, though, was the Old Lady and her Shoe... made mostly out of after-dinner mints...

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:59 AM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril

Brinn, that cake is (was, actually, I suppose ) awesome!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #21
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Thanks, though I must really give credit to the decorator. I was told she had quite a hard time making it, but she really managed to pull off wonders with a tube of frosting.

And I must say, it was quite tasty too.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #22
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's this year's Christmas project by the gummy artists who created Helm's Deep last year: Minas Tirith and the Battle of Pelennor Fields. For the YouTube tour, see here. Isn't the White City absolutely fantastic?! A bit more colorful than imagined, perhaps, but all the more interesting that way...
Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Several sweet versions of LotR can be found on Cake Wrecks.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Holy Elbereth, Batman!
Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #25
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
For my birthday this year, Laurinque and I made a Barrow-Downs cake. it was lovely to eat. This cake also made it into the Downer!
We put four Barrows on it, we made Barrow-Wights out of green jelly babies!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #26
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

From the makers of epic gummy battles comes a new work of art, Smaug the Magnificent.

Last year's project, The Mines of Moria, also deserves a link of its own.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

More Smaug, this time as the new 2010 Tolkien Cake.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #28
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

And from the same source, an awesome Witch King and wonderful Bag End!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #29
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I'm in awe of these cakes. It makes me want to break out all my baking supplies and see what I can do.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

One of my favourite sites, Cake Wrecks, has a special edition of Hobbit cakes today. Enjoy!
Old 04-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The detail is amazing!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #32
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

This gorgeous Arwen/Aragorn-themed wedding cake can be found here.