The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #81
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
However, it seemed blatantly obvious to me that Fordim would attract more votes because it was he who cast the first stone. Within the first few posts on this thread I could tell that Fordim was in trouble. You I did not fear for at all.
Well, I can tell you that I most certainly did fear for myself, but perhaps my judgment was clouded because my neck was on the line. Your logic does make sense.
Quote:
Most likely they just wanted to defend Fordim because no-one else was doing it at that time.
I suppose that could be the case.
Quote:
While the phantom's comment was obviously a joke and not something I expected to see, I suppose I can see how you'd think it was a defense. Let me just say that it was not premeditated.
I second that. Other people accusing Enca of being a werewolf brought to my mind an extremely humorous image of an elderly werewolf, so I made a little joke.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #82
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm with you, Eomer. I'm noticing this insane trend with my own posting where either I will vote early or not be able to at all. Unless something changes drastically and soon, I'm quite sure already of who gets my vote. Although, to be quite honest, it may not be who y'all are expecting.

The healer doesn't tell the secrets behind all of her remedies, you know.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #83
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

How do you lot think I became so rich? By making foolish decisions? Take a look outside your window and gaze at my beautiful house; think about it. I make decisions and have them work for me; I take risks and I get lucky.

Enca I am less suspicious of you than I was earlier: I genuinely think you are just a maverick old lady, so I may be forced to beg your pardon down the line, m'lady. Just a suggestion...

On this day I vote for a girl who has been one of the quietest players so far. She has contributed no theories and has lingered in the shadows for most of the time. Even when pressed for explanations by her friend (whom I suspect to be in real fear) she kept tight-lipped. She voted for Fordim the innocent just as the voting was nearing its climax.

It's a risk, but a risk which I feel is worth taking. Today I vote for ++Ainaserkewen.

If I am wrong then I neither expect nor ask for your forgiveness, young lass. However, if I am wrong, then know that I will feel terribly ashamed.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:31 PM   #84
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
I feel as you do, Eomer, about at least one of these young quiet ladies being a werewolf. As I mentioned earlier, I lean a little more towards Nimrodel9.
Right now, I'm going to throw out something that has been nagging in my mind these last couple of hours. It is just thoughts for now.
Fordim rashly accused and than voted for Phantom. He turned out to be innocent. Most of us voted against him. Most of us feel guilty about that. This time SoN rashly accused Feanor than voted for her. Maybe, he takes this as an opportunity to do the same, hoping we won't vote for him. Maybe a regular ol' wolf-trick?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:04 PM   #85
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
We can't go on together with suspicious minds

My suspicions run toward the people who argue the most, especially when it seems more accusatory than defensive. An early votes says less to me than the people who jump on it or at it. Though people can cleverly disguise themselves to be the opposite of what they really are, there is little else for me to go by other than what I see.

Currently I am highly suspicious of three people in this village, though two others have recently dislodged a pebble from my stony cranium. If my assumptions, which I will keep private for the moment, are correct, I have a 60% chance of hanging a werewolf this afternoon. If I am wrong, my odds only go up as the number of players dwindles. Of course, if I am wrong the number of true villagers goes down, and my odds of surviving go down as well.

I’ve still got some time to look for wolf-sign, so I’ll wait a bit before casting my vote.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:27 PM   #86
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The healer looked around with an exceptionally grumpy expression on her otherwise beautiful face. She could only hope that her companions, guilty or not, did not think that her malcontent was of their doing... she could only hope that her anger at the world did not cloud her judgement.

I've carefully looked back upon all of our discussion, and can only come to one conclusion before, yet again, I must leave prematurely. ++Son of Numenor, out of nowhere you accused me. You didn't whisper once ever before this particular announcement that you even suspected me. Quite the contrary. You quoted me as calling Fordim a fool... an action that I don't even remotely regret, since that entire diatribe was simply me throwing back in his face that he insinuated me to be less than. More a joke than anything, I was annoyed that he would call me gullible, whether directly or no, and I thought to use his own word against him.

My defense of the phantom, another of my "actions" you seek to use against me, is the defense against the innocent that *should* more often be seen. He was accused with bad evidence. I pointed it out. You'll notice that the only deaths I vote for are those that have a fair bit of evidence in their favor. His had none worth sneezing at. Start accusing other people with pathetic evidence and I'll defend them as well, see if I don't.

You comment on my lack of suspicion for Nimmy... that the phantom suspects him, so why don't I? What's the phantom's suspicions got to do with anything? Just because he is clever, intelligent, and subtle beyond belief doesn't mean that he's always right. And besides... I was not accusing, I was stating that those particular actions of theirs made me nervous. I've since changed my thoughts regarding Eomer, and quite honestly, you've taken up his recently vacated position. Spawn and Aina are not so much suspected now as two others who will remain nameless.

SoNo, you post infrequently, and randomly. Your first few were to advise listening and not to be all that hasty. You contradict yourself immediately after with your sudden and irrevocable vote to lynch me.

If it's a choice between your head and mine, it had certainly better be yours.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:36 PM   #87
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
SoNo, you post infrequently, and randomly.
My work keeps me busy.

I am hardly surprised that you have voted for me; as was the case yesterday, you have chosen the one who first spoke out against you or your husband. I only hope the village learned from yesterday's misdeeds.

Last edited by Son of Númenor; 05-24-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:29 PM   #88
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Back in character :D

Quote:
Enca I am less suspicious of you than I was earlier: I genuinely think you are just a maverick old lady, so I may be forced to beg your pardon down the line, m'lady. Just a suggestion... [Eomer]
I'm glad to hear it, young man. If ye should beg me pardon, I'm sure I shall give it.

As I said before, I'm still suspicious of that Aina. Shame, really -- she seems like such a nice lass. I'll be waitin' as long as I may to cast me vote in case anyone else has somethin' to say.

I've been learnin' a thing or two from these events, though... actin' friendly be a dangerous thing. People are likely to suspect ye for anythin'. It seems ye got to be all fer none and one fer one...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #89
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Eye Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again

The mason coughed loudly so that everyone looked his way.

“I’ve come to the conclusion,” he said, “that one person among us is causing so much noise that I cannot think straight. Though that person may in the end prove to be innocent of being a werewolf, they could never be found anything but guilty of causing a confusing clamor. In order to rid us of the beast, or the distraction from such cause, I cast my vote for ++ Feanor of the Peredhil and hope to find better clarity when she is gone.”
Old 05-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #90
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I shall stick to me aforementioned opinion: ++Ainaserkawen. Me apologies if I be wrong, lass, though a lot of good it'll do any of us then...
Old 05-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #91
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye Is anyone lost?

I hope so, because I'd hate to be the only one who is.

I'm going to go back and read all the posts from today and attempt to summarize everyone's position.

Eomer says that Aina needs watching and was wary of Enca but took it back. He directed suspicion away from Holbytlass and also believes that BW and SoN are innocent. He voted for Aina.

Feanor suspected Eomer but doesn't much any more, and she has her eye on Aina and Dancing Spawn. After SoN voted for her she was fairly focused on him, and then voted for him.

The Barrow-Wight has kept his thoughts fairly quiet and voted for Feanor.

SoN seems, for the most part, completely sold on the Fea-Phantom-Enca triumvirate. He voted for Feanor.

Dancing Spawn suggested that the trio was Fea-Holbytlass-Enca.

Holbytlass has her eye on Nimrodel_9 and somewhat on Aina as well. She does not believe Fea is guilty.

Enca hinted at Nim and voted for Aina.

Aina posted but did not accuse or defend anyone.

Nim has not posted today.

Four people suspect Aina, three Feanor, two Enca, two Nim.

Two have voted for Feanor, two Aina, one SoN.

Many of us are holding our votes till the last possible second hoping beyond hope that someone will slip, or present new evidence. This is unlikely to happen.

We are extremely spread out. Everyone has his own theory and none of them are a complete stretch- but of course only one can be true. Or possibly none of the current theories are correct. Perhaps the truth is a combination of suspicions such as Aina-Nim-SoN (it's just an example, I'm not trying to imply anything).

Needless to say, this round seems to be just as much a shot in the dark as the last one.

I will vote before I turn in for the night, but I honestly cannot say which way I will be voting.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #92
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Whatever I have done to raise suspicions or offend (especially you Eomer) I am truly sorry. Please, say what I must do to clear my name and consider it done.

I am consciously not letting my mind wander to any suspicion without logical cause. Everyone, as was said earlier, is taking very different roots to catch these killers, and I suppose I am not different. I have no clever theories or accusations such as the rest have. I don't know if I admire you for coming to such colourful and strong conclusions, or to feel frightened that someone's wayward glance will be drawn to me. However, I must chose mustn't I?

The first choice, as many said, was so difficult and without any real information like we found out our victim completely innocent and with barely a defence. I don't want to end up another victim with no cause. But this is the reason I voted so concisely. I had no reason, though I paid close attention to the arguments at hand, and chose according to my own mind's workings. I was wrong, and I am sorry.

Though I don't have any theories of my own to whom might be the killers, I do read carefully the theories of others. So far, though I don't want to "band together", as was referenced in an earlier word of mine, with him, the Barrow Wight has the coolest head for these things. Whether his cool head is that of a killer, I don't know, but his words sound as true as bells on a Sunday morning. I don't wish to vote yet, but I do respect your opinions, dear mason.

My time has run out. Do I vote for those who would soon have me hanging and buy into this reasoning? Or do I cower behind the decisions of those would know more about the world than I? I'm not old enough to make such decisions!

++Feanor
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?

Last edited by Ainaserkewen; 05-24-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 01:00 AM   #93
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

After rereading everything and giving it some thought, I am willing to give Eomer's idea a try.

+ + Ainaserkewen

Sorry, m'dear.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:55 AM   #94
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I'm balancing between three hypothesis. One is Eomer's, second is SoN's and the third is mine. It seems that people have different reasons to vote for her, but I'd like to try the theories of SoN or mine. I'm so sorry if she's innocent but under these circumstances I don't know who else I should vote for but ++ Feanor.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #95
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

The vote had been close, but eventually the Village reached a majority decision. Feanor of the Peredhil would be hanged on suspicion of being a Werewolf.

“This is ridiculous,” she protested. “Dammit, I’m a healer not a Werewolf!”

The mob began to advance on her. Well, I say mob. It was really just a small group, given the village’s alarmingly high current death rate and the fact that not all present were persuaded of her guilt. But it was enough to convince Feanor of the gravity of her situation.

“You’re all fools!” she cried, tears welling up in her eyes. “Why would you kill the village healer? Who will tend to your ailments with me gone? And what of those whom I have helped in the past? Is this how you repay me?”

But the flurry of questions did not deter her assailants. Brandishing forks and stakes and coils of rope, and whatever else came to hand, they continued to approach.

“Can’t you see? With my death, the Wolves will just grow stronger,” Feanor implored. “If you hang me, you will see that I am innocent. And then you’ll be sorry. Think of the consequences of your actions.”

But the villagers were in no mood to think further. They had made their decision and that was that. It was Feanor’s quick tongue that had got her into this situation, and it was not going to get her out of it.

Realising her protests to be in vain, Feanor finally resigned herself to her fate. Calmly, she allowed herself to be bound and led to the gallows. Standing there before the noose, she surveyed the baying crowd and spoke her final words.

“You bay for my blood now. But there are three among you who will be baying for yet more blood before the night is through. So be it. I shall die with the dignity which you have failed to show by your ugly deeds.”

And so Feanor of the Peredhil was hanged, and her words proved true. For no Werewolf was she, but an ordinary Villager.

Oh dear! It looks like the Villagers had better find a Werewolf. And fast …

Living:
Holbytlas
Eomer of the Rohirrim
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Encaitare
Ainaserkewen
Son of Númenor
Nimrodel_9

Dead:
Oddwen (Villager) - slaughtered, plucked and trussed like a chicken on Night 1
Fordim Hedge thistle (Villager) - Lynched and hung in a flurry of puns on Day 1
Anguirel (Guardian) - Carved up and barbequed on Night 2
Feanor of the Peredhil (Villager) – Lynched and hung despite her quick tongue on Day 2

Score:
Werewolves: 3
Villagers: 6

NIGHT 3 has now started. It will end in 24 hours’ time (12.45PM GMT tomorrow), or earlier if all night-time notifications are received by me before then.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 05-25-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: It's NIGHT 3. And a certain pedant who shall remain nameless complained that it should be "hanged" not "hung", although I have retained hung where it rhymes with puns and tongue.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 04:42 PM   #96
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye

It had been a traumatic few days. The remaining Villagers were in mortal danger. But things could have been worse. At least they still had their Seer. They did not know who he or she was, but they could rest assured that he or she would be secretly working night and day to assist them in their plight.

When the Old Farmer’s Wife did not appear the next morning, no one was unduly concerned. After all, she had been a loner since her husband, the Old Farmer, had died. A bit crazy in the head, some said. With her runes and her crystals and the like …

An almighty crash signalled the dropping of an enormous penny.

As one, the Villagers rose and rushed to the Old Farm where the Old Farmer’s Wife lived. It stood there, silent and forbidding, as if it were taunting them. A few brave souls ventured forth and cautiously entered. And they were mightily relieved to see the Holbytlass sitting at her table, her head in her hands.

“What’s the matter, Old Farmer’s Wife?” one of them asked.

But there was no reply.

Another stepped forward to comfort Holbytlass. But, as she did so, the old woman’s head lolled back to reveal two empty sockets where her eyes once had been. Blood poured down her front from a gaping wound which ran from one ear to the other. And grimly the Villagers watched as two severed eyeballs dropped from the old woman’s hands, rolled languidly across the table and fell to the floor.

“Is she alright?” someone asked.

Quick, call the Healer!” cried another.

As the more observant reader may have noticed, these Villagers were not the sharpest tools in the box.

Living:
Eomer of the Rohirrim
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Encaitare
Ainaserkewen
Son of Númenor
Nimrodel_9

Dead:
Oddwen (Villager) - Slaughtered, plucked and trussed like a chicken on Night 1
Fordim Hedgethistle (Villager) - Lynched and hung in a flurry of puns on Day 1
Feanor of the Peredhil (Villager) - Lynched and hung despite her quick tongue on Day 2
Holbytlass (Seer) - Eyeballs plucked out and throat slit on Night 3

Score:
Werewolves: 3
Villagers: 5

Er, Villagers, you realise what happens if you don’t find a Werewolf today …

DAY 3 has now started. It will end in 24 hours’ time (11.45PM GMT tomorrow), or earlier if a clear majority on voting is reached before then.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #97
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

And the words of the prophets were written on the subway walls

Because she was the seer, we need to analyze what Holybtlass has been telling us. She obviously did not dream of Fordim on that first night, or she would not have voted for him. I’m guessing that she dreamed of Anguirel, since she often repeated the word ‘innocent’ when referring to her.

But notice that after Night 2, Holybtlass began a sustained campaign against Nimrodel_9 that was repeated until her murder. She was killed for her knowledge, of course, which makes it obvious that ++ Nimrodel_9 is a werewolf. It is a shame that we did not get one more night of the seer’s dreaming.

In case I am slain this night, I will share some more thoughts now. Nimrodel_9 spoke of Fordim, Fea, phantom, and Ainaserkewen, voting for Fordim on Day 1 and missing the vote on Day 2. Each time she mentioned Ainaserkewen it was in “did she do it?” and “no she didn’t” type of thing that I think was an intentional ploy to separate herself from Ainaserkewen. This, along with her perfect record so far of hanging innocents (she voted for both Feanor and Fordim), incriminates Ainaserkewen.

So, if I’m right and I’m dead tomorrow, I recommend Aina goes next. I just hope that if they do kill me, I am not Cursed.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:51 PM   #98
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

If you want to hear my thoughts just read Barrow-Wight's post again. His is the only conclusion.

+ + Nimrodel_9
Old 05-25-2005, 08:20 PM   #99
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

++Nimrodel_9
Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 PM   #100
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Boarding the bandwagon...

++Nimrodel_9

I also have a vague suspicion of the Barrow Wight... he's almost too logical. But that's an issue for another day; my vote remains the same for Nim.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #101
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
I think Holbytlass was quite clear about this matter. ++ Nimrodel_9.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:10 AM   #102
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Thumbs up A snap decision

There was little discussion that day. Without even affording her the opportunity to defend herself, the Village decided unanimously that Nimrodel_9, the simple Farm Girl, would be hanged.

Silently, she watched as they surrounded her, her young face suffused with terror and her wide blue eyes pleading with them not to harm her. How could such a simple, innocent girl be a Werewolf?

But as they made to bind her, she threw her head back and let out a baleful howl. And within seconds, a terrible ravening beast stood before them. Sleek, strong and wolfish, she snarled and snapped at them as they sought to subdue her. With a mighty sweep of her claw, she sent two of them flying, and then turned to face the rest, baring her dreadful fangs as she growled contemptuously at them. The Villagers were taken aback with the speed of the transformation. But they were not to be deterred and, despite her speed and strength, there remained sufficient numbers to bring her under control. Bound from hairy head to hairy foot, she was dragged struggling to the gallows.

Nimrodel_9 twisted and turned for what seemed like an eternity as she hung from the gibbet. But eventually her body went still. And it was once more that of a simple Farm Girl, at peace at last.

Living:
Eomer of the Rohirrim
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Encaitare
Ainaserkewen
Son of Númenor

Dead:
Fordim Hedgethistle (Villager) - Lynched and hung in a flurry puns on Day 1
Feanor of the Peredhil (Villager) - Lynched and hung despite her quick tongue on Day 2
Nimrodel_9 (Werewolf) – Lynched and hung when the struggle was done on Day 3

Score:
Werewolves: 2
Villagers: 5

NIGHT 4 has now started. It will end either once the remaining Werewolves have chosen their next victim or otherwise in 24 hours’ time (10.10AM GMT tomorrow).
Old 05-26-2005, 05:29 PM   #103
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye A messy business

The Villagers rose late the next morning. Successive sleepless nights and the previous day’s successful lynching had drained them of energy.

The now habitual headcount took place in the common room of The Phantom Inn and the Villagers’ worst fears were confirmed when yet another of their number was found to be missing. Could it be that the Rich Merchant was on another of his lucrative business trips? Or perhaps he was still tucked up in his bed. Whatever the reason, the Villagers agreed that it was best to check.

Eomer of the Rohirrim’s opulent mansion stood slightly outside the Village, scrupulously set apart from the proletarian masses. Many had eyed it jealously in the past and were now secretly thrilled at the prospect of seeing inside the magnificent abode, albeit fearful of what horrors they might discover within.

But it seemed that the merchant was away on business, for the great wooden door was locked and no movement could be seen within. With a mixture of excitement and fear, a few of the Villagers hoisted a brick through a window and were able to unlatch it to gain entry. For what seemed like hours, they wandered down corridors and through rooms and found not a soul. Until eventually they came upon the merchant’s office.

The room had clearly been the scene of a struggle. Furniture was overturned, books and papers lay scattered about and great chests lay open, their valuable contents strewn across the floor. And on the desk sat the merchant’s fine brass scales, a pile of gold coins in one cup finely balanced with something red and glistening in the other. On closer inspection, the Villagers were filled with horror. It was a chunk of flesh weighing, according to the scales, precisely one pound.

It was not until the Villagers stumbled upon the merchant's bedchamber that they discovered the balance of Eomer of the Rohirrim’s body. As well as having taken their pound of flesh, the Werewolves had clearly made a hearty meal of him.

Overwrought, the Villagers returned to the inn (although not quite so overwrought that some did not take the opportunity to indulge in a little wealth redistribution before they left the mansion).

Living:
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Encaitare
Ainaserkewen
Son of Númenor

Dead:
Eomer of the Rohirrim (Villager) - Relieved of a pound of flesh and devoured on Night 4

Score:
Villagers: 4

DAY 4 has now started. It will end once either a clear voting majority is established or in any event in 24 hours’ time (12.30AM GMT tomorrow).
Old 05-27-2005, 06:20 AM   #104
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question All quiet on the Werewolf front

The day had long since broken. Yet the village remained eerily silent. Where was everyone?

EDIT: Fair warning - If no one votes at all, I am toying with the idea of having the local militia turn up, summarily execute a random player, and then depart ...

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 05-27-2005 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:15 AM   #105
Mischievous Candle

Quote:
If no one votes at all, I am toying with the idea of having the local militia turn up
Random killing doesn't probably help to solve who are the villains ( if the militia doesn't at random choose to kill a werewolf).

Well, I can see that I was wrong with my theory.
The Barrow-Wight spotted one of the culprits yesterday and I'd be interested to hear, what he has to say today. Otherwise I don't have any other guidance than Holbytlass' arguments.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #106
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye late start

Well, it seems to me that there is one person in particular that we should hang today. Encaitare seems to have her eye on The Barrow-Wight, but two days ago when we lynched Fea she voted for Aina, as did Eomer and I. Yesterday, The Barrow-Wight recommended that Aina go next. The reasoning he gave for his choice is as good as any right now. We would really kick ourselves if we did not hang her and she turned out to be a wolf. BW recommended it and Enca and I already voted for her once, so it seems logical to stick with our previous resolve and vote for Aina today.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:02 AM   #107
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

I haven't replied because I am so afraid to make a misstep. My last vote was made with conviction, and the rest of the village followed it. My next vote will be with less conviction, so please don't use me as your guide. Ainaserkewen is my main target still, but I have created doubt in my own mind, and I need to hear what others say before I commit to a vote.

I will throw some light on what I have noticed:

1) dancing, aina, and son always vote the same.
2) dancing always votes last, and always with the majority.
3) aina waits for a person to get several votes before casting her vote

If Aina is a werewolf, mine would have been a possible vote, but Eomer's would have been a sure vote, since he voted for her before. I believe this is why he was slain rather than me.

In order of suspicion, highest on top, here is how I currently rate all of you:
  1. Ainaserkwen
  2. dancing spawn of ungoliant
  3. Son of Numenor
  4. the phantom
  5. Encaitare
Old 05-27-2005, 12:44 PM   #108
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Quote:
1) dancing, aina, and son always vote the same.
This may prove irrelevant, but I feel I should point out that you yourself have voted every time for the same person as the three of us.

I have not the evidence to cast a vote, and will not do so presently, having already been the catalyst for the hanging of an innocent villager. My suspicions are much the same as The Barrow-Wight's.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #109
Mischievous Candle

Quote:
2) dancing always votes last, and always with the majority.
I'm sorry if that looks suspicious (and I somewhat understand if it does) but I vote late simply because of geographical reasons. I'm from a different part of the world so I'm never available to vote at the same time as you guys.

If you look at what time my previous votes were cast, they were: Vote 1) 8:58 AM GMT, Vote 2) 8:55 AM GMT, Vote 3) 8:20 AM GMT. As you can see, my votes are always cast around the same time, and it's because that's when I am able to vote.

And about me voting with the majority, well, that's what most people do - that's what a majority is.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #110
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Quote:
you yourself have voted every time for the same person as the three of us.
I don't suspect myself yet.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:32 PM   #111
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
I so respect your logic Mr. Wight, though not on this bit of reasoning you've spoken.

Quote:
3) aina waits for a person to get several votes before casting her vote
You're observations are very correct about me, I do wait to see what the majority vote is. Why? The Democratic flaw has always been that those who vote for people less popular and most likely not to get voted in (or dead in this case) have "wasted their vote" because it didn't go towards making an important decision. In most democratic votes (at least where I'm from) this doesn't matter too much. However, if my inklings (which aren't backed up by any fact save Nim) were broadcasted, and especially if they were right, than surely I would become a dangerous target.

Notice also how the one who has supected me from the beginning was a werewolf! I'm not out to get those who suspect me, tightening the noose around my neck, only to convince them that I'm exactly who I say I am.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #112
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

We have lynched three people thus far: Fordim, Fea, and Nimrodel. As we are all aware, the first two were just normal villagers, and Nim was a werewolf. Just to sum up, this is how everyone has voted:

The Barrow-Wight: the phantom, Feanor of the Peredhil, Nimrodel_9

the phantom: Fordim Hedgethistle, Ainaserkawen, Nimrodel_9

Encaitare: Fordim Hedgethistle, Ainaserkawen, Nimrodel_9

Ainaserkawen: Fordim Hedgethistle, Feanor of the Peredhil, (no third vote)

dancing spawn of ungoliant: Fordim Hedgethistle, Feanor of the Peredhil, Nimrodel_9

Son of Númenor: the phantom, Feanor of the Peredhil, Nimrodel_9

I believe I got this correct; if not, please let me know. I am suspicious of Aina as well, and now that I look at the voting stats and hear what BW has to say, I'm also a bit wary of ungoliant. I'll put in my vote later tonight in case anyone else has something to say.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #113
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Quote:
if my inklings (which aren't backed up by any fact save Nim) were broadcasted, and especially if they were right, than surely I would become a dangerous target
For the good of the village, reveal your thoughts. If we get this vote wrong, the village is quite possibly doomed.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #114
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I'm not meaning to rush anyone, but we have just over two hours left. We need to make sure and vote. If we don't, the two wolves will be able to pop in a few minutes before the deadline and kill whoever they choose by combining their votes.

Even if only two of our four innocent villagers sit this vote out, there is a chance that the two innocents won't vote the same way, so once again the wolves will be able to pick whoever they want. I don't particularly want to see that happen.

At this point my reluctance to vote is not due to indecision, but rather apprehension because of the importance of this vote. I keep on going over things again and again and my decision remains the same and yet out of fear of choosing wrong I don't vote.

But very soon I will be leaving and I must choose before I leave. If you have anything to say that you think might sway me, say it very very soon.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:03 PM   #115
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye okay...

Well, no one said anything to change my mind, so I am going to go ahead and vote.

Nim's extremely odd behavior towards Aina got my attention early on. Now, one of the duo has been proven guilty, Aina's main accuser is dead (Eomer), and she did not cast a vote for Nim. And since the village nearly hung her two days ago and instead hung an innocent, I feel duty bound to put her in the noose this time. In addition, her chosen role, "village innocent", makes me entirely uncomfortable.

My head and my gut both tell me to vote for + + Aina and cross my fingers.
Old 05-27-2005, 04:27 PM   #116
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Good girls don't, but werewolves do

Without further hesitation, I want to hang:

++Ainaserkewen

Let the pile on begin!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #117
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye hmm...

It appears that most of the villagers are asleep (in another time zone), or they forgot what time the deadline was.

Or perhaps they were afraid that if Aina turned out to be innocent they would share in the blame. Or maybe they were worried that Aina was the hunter and that if they voted for her she might take them with her. Perhaps the wolf/wolves did not vote for that reason?

We now wait for SPM.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #118
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question A question of innocence

The Village had become a hotbed of paranoia and fear. No one dared speak lest they condemn themselves or draw attention from the Werewolves amongst them.

As the fourth day drew to a close, only two votes had been cast. But with those two votes the village chose Ainaserkewen to face the gallows. Seemingly, they had something against young and seemingly innocent lasses. As the remaining Villagers turned to her, she stared at them dumbly, as if she could not comprehend what was happening. Then, promptly, she fell into a dead faint. But, seeing this as some cunning wolvish trick, they immediately seized the poor simple girl and roughly bound her.

It was not until the noose was round her neck that she came round. She had but a moment to look imploringly at her accusers, her innocent young face suffused with fear and disbelief, before the lever was pulled and the rope snapped tightly around her innocent young neck.

And innocent it was indeed. For Ainerserkewen was no Werewolf, but the simple village lass that she had appeared to be.

Tsk! You should be ashamed of yourselves hanging a poor naïve young girl like that.

If the Werewolves manage to avoid the Hunter tonight the village is doomed! But, should they choose the Hunter as their victim, the game may just continue …

Living:
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Encaitare
Son of Númenor

Dead:
Eomer of the Rohirrim (Villager) - Relieved of a pound of flesh and devoured on Night 4
Ainaserkewen (Villager) - Lynched and hung all innocent and young on Day 4

Score:
Villagers: 3

NIGHT 5 has now started. It will end once the Werewolves have chosen their next victim or in any event in 24 hours’ time (1.15AM GMT tomorrow).

Moderator’s note: Unfortunately, as I am going away weekend and will not be back until Monday evening, you will all be kept in suspense. The 24 hour deadline for the Werewolves to make their choice still holds, but the consequences will not now be revealed until Monday night.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 05-27-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #119
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Eye A fairytale ending?

Son of Númenor awoke on the fifth morning to find the village deserted. The Phantom Inn was no longer the usual warm, welcoming haven, but cold and empty. The innkeeper was nowhere to be seen, and neither were the sturdy stonemason and the handicrafts woman.

“Ah, at least Encaitare is awake,” he thought to himself, seeing a plume of smoke rising from her chimney.

So, donning his red hooded cape, the timid carpenter set off to visit the grumpy old lady, who just happened to be his grandmother.

On entering her house, he noticed a large haunch of meat roasting over her fire. He caught his breath as he recalled the horrors of previous mornings, but was relieved to see his grandmother sitting up in bed, a large toothy grin on her face. She wore her familiar nightdress and nightcap and a pair of small round spectacles were perched on her nose. And yet, there was something different about her. Something not quite right …

“My what large eyes you have, grandmother,” he said.

“All the better to see you with, my child” she replied.

“And what large ears you have, grandmother,” he continued.

“All the better to hear you with, young man,” she replied.

“And what large teeth you have grandmother,” he ventured again.

“All the better to eat you with!” she roared and, quick as a flash, the old lady leaped across the room at the carpenter with surprising agility. And, as she did so, she underwent a startling transformation ...

For what was left of Encaitare was slowly roasting over the fire, while the creature hurtling towards Son of Númenor was not his grandmother at all, but one of the Werewolves that had been troubling the village so.

Living:
The Barrow-Wight
the phantom
Son of Númenor

Dead:
Ainaserkewen (Villager) - Lynched and hung all innocent and young on Day 4
Encaitare (Villager) - Roasted over a fire and replaced in her bed on Night 5

Score:
Villagers: 2

Epilogue

As dancing spawn of ungoliant leaped on Son of Númenor, she tore a huge chunk of flesh out of his arm with her cruel teeth. But, as they lay on the floor together, the carpenter reacted the quicker. Jumping up, he made straight for the door and out into the open air, where he was confronted by the Barrow-Wight.

Which, in the ordinary course of events, would not have been a problem. But Son of Númenor had been bitten by a Werewolf, and his curse had already started to work its terrible magic. He tried to cry out a warning to the stonemason, but a dreadful howl issued forth from his mouth, which by now had become more a canine snout than a mouth.

The Barrow-Wight, being a Werewolf Hunter of some renown, was prepared. Seeing before him a creature half transformed from man into wolf, he let loose the trusty silver bolt from his crossbow and it struck Son of Númenor square in the forehead. As the carpenter crumpled dead to the ground, the Barrow-Wight let out a triumphant cry.

But his jubilation was short-lived. As one Werewolf appeared at the doorway to Encaitare’s house, a growl behind him told him that another was closing for the kill.

“Rats!” he muttered, before being torn limb from limb by dancing spawn of ungoliant and the phantom.

Yet again, the Werewolves had won!

For those who are interested, here are the facts and figures:

Starting roles:
Anguirel (Grim Blacksmith) - Guardian
Feanor of the Peredhil (Village Healer) - Villager
Holbytlass (Old Farmer’s Wife) - Seer
Eomer of the Rohirrim (Rich Merchant) - Villager
The Barrow-Wight (Strong Stonemason) - Hunter
the phantom (Landlord of The Phantom Inn) - Werewolf
Fordim Hedgethistle (Tall Sheep-Shearer) - Villager
Encaitare (Grumpy Old Lady) - Villager
Ainaserkewen (Village Innocent) - Villager
dancing spawn of ungallant (Handicrafts Woman) - Werewolf
Oddwen (Henwife) - Villager
Son of Númenor (Timid Carpenter) - Cursed
Nimrodel_9 (Simple Farm Girl) - Werewolf

NIGHT 1:
Werewolf victim: Oddwen
Seer Dream: Feanor of the Peredhil
Guardian guards: Fordim Hedgethistle

DAY 1:
Votes:
the phantom - 3
Fordim Hedgethistle - 7
Holbytlass - 1
Lynched: Fordim Hedgethistle

NIGHT 2:
Werewolf victim: Anguirel
Seer Dream: Anguirel
Guardian guards: Eomer of the Rohirrim

DAY 2:
Votes:
Feanor of the Peredhil - 4
Ainaserkewen - 3
Son of Numenor - 1
Lynched: Feanor of the Peredhil

NIGHT 3:
Werewolf victim: Holbytlass
Seer Dream: Eomer of the Rohirrim

DAY 3:
Votes: Nimrodel_9 - 5
Lynched: Nimrodel_9

NIGHT 4:
Werewolf victim: Eomer of the Rohirrim

DAY 4:
Votes: Ainaserkewen - 2
Lynched: Ainaswerkewen

NIGHT 5:
Werewolf victim: Encaitare

DAY 5:
Villagers - 2
Werewolves - 2

The Werewolves are victorious!

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 05-30-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #120
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Cursed!

Drat! I feel personally responsible for this loss; I voted for The Phantom to be lynched on Day 1, and should have stuck with that conviction on Day 2. Kudos to The Phantom: you were able to completely divert my attention away from you -- I was convinced that your wife, Feanor of the Peredhil, was the werewolf, and was using you in the way that in reality you were using her. After she was proved innocent, I became more timid in my accusations, essentially following along with yours and The Barrow-Wight's logic for the last few votes. Dancing Spawn was a logical next choice for lynching, but you moved to the bottom of everyone's suspect list. I think the village would have strung up The Barrow-Wight or me before you. My hat's off to you.