The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 AM   #121
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
Glirdingo was walking peacefully when the moon arose and he decided it was time to take a break.

It was then that he heard a noise in the bushes behind him. "Who's there!?" He cried, raising his bow swiftly witha n arrow attached and pulled back taut. "Show yourself!!"
Galadster was walking peacefully, cutting through the woods, he heard a voice yelling at him, he walked out and saw a man aiming a bow at him

woah woah enough with the arrows, i already got shot today, i don't need anymore

Galadster asked for his name and why he is travelling in these parts...
Old 08-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #122
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Glirdingo slacked his grip on the arrow, but did not put it away. "I can't believe this man!" he thought angrily. "He called me a Man! I am no Man!! I am an Elf! And an Elf of Lorien at that!"

He looked at the man and answered. "I am Glirdingo, an Elf from the realm of Lorien and I am on traveling in these parts for the same reason you are. To get to that hoard of gold. And who might you be and what do you mean you got hit by an arrow today?"
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #123
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Night 7 has now ended. Day 8 has begun, you have 36 hours.

Please PM your direction to Valier

Map and Day 7 winner will be up as soon as possible

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 08-28-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:31 PM   #124
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The daily winner is.....A tie again!!!! Kafkalina and Thin-gloomy will move twice as far for today only.

All players....You are shooting for the red square on the map, not the yellow one. That is just a mistake I cannot seem to fix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 8.JPG (80.1 KB, 545 views)
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #125
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
(This one is going to be long!)

The ent has passed her without notice, and having had a cold night sleep the Arnorian rose to an early start which led her away from the mountains (where she was tempted to eat snow) and into the hills. Noticing her water to be on the low side, Valesseka cursed not filling up at the Anduin. Fortunately, in sight was another stream which looked to be fresh and good for replentishing her supply. Travelling to it, however, was rough, and even though she was away from the icy blasts of the mountains Valesseka kept herself bundled up warm. Almost to the stream she heard a noise which sounded very foreign to her, looking to see what it was, her breath caught up in her throat. Orcs. And not just a few, either...

As silently as she could, the girl backed away until she felt safe enough to run for her life. Hide... got to find a place to hide. I'm not getting in the middle of any orkish business. Forgetting the stream, Valesseka came across Amon Sul. She had heard about it from travellers as it had been the subject to many debates between the three portions of Arnor. At the moment, the fortress looked fairly war-torn, apparently recently sacked and still in the midst of rebuilding. It... must have been those orcs... They ravaged it last night I guess... It should be safe.

Catiously Valesseka arrived, but not without notice. Her glittering brooch amidst the unwashed carnage and debris drew eyes toward her, and it wasn't long at all before one of the men approached her.

"You... You're just in time. Our captain has fallen to the orc band, and..." he choked up, clearly he was close to the man, "We need a commander or the hill will fall."
"But..." Valesseka looked dreadfully confused, "I can't command a fortress."
"Of course you can! You are a noble man of Arnor! And if you don't... all will be lost!"
Valesseka glared daggers at the rather dramatic officer who was fortunate enough not to catch it. I am a woman of Arnor. Woman! And where does he get off that I'm nobility? Hastening her garbs she cleared her throat to announce that she was not who ever it was they were expecting, but was stopped short by a battered sword being thrust at her. The officer looked the girl in the eyes, clearly intending that she receive it "If you don't, the tower will fall, my lord."

Whining ever so slightly, Valesseka wrapped her hand around the hilt. It was suprisingly heavy, but for appearances she kept it held high. I'm a beautiful woman, why can't they see that? The officer smiled lightly and hurried away. This confused Valesseka even further, as she was not sure at this point where to go, what to do, or what had just happened exactly. The orcs attacked them last night, I know that... why do they want a leader so desperately, then? And why did he call me -lord-!? It hit her. The orc band she had seen on her way to Amon Sul were going to strike again tonight. With a terrible shudder she sat down. "Too many orcs..." she mumbled numbly.

A voice cut in "seventy-five." Valesseka looked over at the guard. He was also sitting, but in contrast to her and the rest of the guards looked rather calm. "And now there are only fifty of us." He turned to Valesseka with a piteous look "What do you think the Halls of Mandos look like?"

Okaaay, thats the end of that conversation. Gracefully she shook her head and stood, manuvering through the rubble and carcasses. Valesseka found the officer again, he had collected the other remaining officers and for a long while the men stood staring at the Arnorian girl. "...Well?" She said at length, before each man launched into his own battle plan. Apparently the orcs had been attacking in waves for the last few nights, and though the men have been getting better and better at defending their tower from this sort of strategy, the captain had fallen to an orkish arrow.

"If that guard knew what he was talking about... the numbers, that is, we're out numbered by..." She imagined counting vegitables "twenty-five. It's possible to delete their presence but..." There was a very distant rumbling sound, and Valesseka looked around in a panic, but here there could be no avalanche. The rumble could only mean one thing: the orc army was on the move toward Weathertop Hill. Straightening up, Valesseka shouted commands, acting more on her own protection than for the tower's. "You," She pointed at the first officer, "figure out how they are advancing toward us. Everyone else inform the men that they should be prepared. Light torches around this place... we want to see them if they break in."

The day was nearing dusk, and the orcs were arriving. First the archers started showering the tower with arrows. Somewhat safely behind a large barrier, Valesseka announced that her men should return fire. Fifteen or so orcs fell, and only eight of her's. Once she had calculated this, however, the orcs were at the wall, swinging and snarlling and making all sorts of terrible noises. "Keep the doors blocked in! I don't care ho-" *clack!*

Valesseka turned around and saw two funny little extrusions over the stone she was hiding behind, looking over the edge she squeaked. A ladder! The first officer acted instantly in pushing it over which proceeded in destroying the orcs on it. The orcs had brought five ladders in each group that marched toward Amon Sul, along with five archers each. She instructed that her archers focus on the orkish archers, and let the handmen take care of whatever clambered over the walls.

The door broke with a resounding clamour, and the calamity that followed became the end of serveral of her men. Swept into the battle, Valesseka ran toward the door, shouting furiously that at least twenty should follow her and help retake the passage. Her archers aimmed for the mass of orcs collected at the enterance, and successfully eliminated a fair number of invaders. However the strength of the door did not hold, and like a thin sheet of wood, snapped in half allowing a trickle of orcs inside. Salavating with bloodthirst, the orcs swung their swords sloppily compared to their previous war-formality in the advancing on the fortress.

A terrible noise came from behind her, one of the ladders remained upright long enough for a smaller orc to penetrate the defenses. With a nasty smirk at Valesseka's terrified face, it thrust it's sword at her, only to miss (Ladies being thinner in build) her flesh entirely. Pulling back his weapon, the girl swung hers, slapping, rather than cutting, his face with the blade. Nevertheless it was effective. Valesseka took a moment to check to see if he were actually dead or not before barking orders to maintain the tower walls better. The orcs were not quite as successful as the humans tonight, and for the first time in a long time, the humans were finally out numbering them.

"You two, collect these...arrows and bring it up the the archers." She pointed at a few bodies. She was stunned at her behavior. She didn't want to be in a battle, commanding it was out of the question, and yet here she was. The battle raged on, and the orcs ran out of archers, so too her archers ran out of arrows. Over the course of the battle Valesseka commensed in her own spars only a few times, most incurring injuries. I'm not built for battle. she'd repeat to herself over and over. I'm not a lord of Arnor. I'm a girl. I'm a beautiful girl. Deep inside, she felt hurt that the orcs didn't even seem to notice that.

Around midnight the carnage had ended. The orcs retreated with a quarter of their original band, and the Weathertop guards mantained half of their starting number. It was a fair enough advantage that the orcs would not soon attempt another raid, and that was comfort enough for Valesseka.

Wincing, she used the last of her athelas on her wounds, and the last of her water. In thanks for 'his' contribution the men of the tower replentished her supplies and offered housing for the night. She wasn't soon to pass that by, even if they were obviously blind to her gorgeous visage.

Last edited by Valesse; 08-29-2006 at 07:31 PM. Reason: signature
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #126
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

It was a very bad day, full of rain since late the night before. Glirdingo was shivering with cold, staring up at the Misty Mountains. He hadn't gotten much sleep the night before (he didn't trust that Man who was camping near him). "Well, this will probably be the hardest part of my journey," he thought to himself bitterly, thinking about the Orcs that lived in Mount Gundabad a shortway off as well as in the Misty Mountains themselves.

He started his treck towards the moutnains, the rain pouring down on him and soaking him to the bone, the wind on his skin feeling like icy blades cutting into him. He continued on and on, tirelessly. Finally, it was around midday (though he couldn't tell because there was no sun) when he began to feel the pains of exhaustion. He was at the base of the Mountains now. He stopped for a quick break before continuing on.

He walked all day, and almost into the night before he was really exhausted and had to stop. He searched the base of the Mountains, hoping to find a cave to rest in for the night. "Aha!" he cried delightedly as his keen, Elven eyes spotted a cave in the base of the Mountains.

He made his way wearliy to the cave at the base of the Mountains. When he reached it, he ran inside and slumped to the ground. He got changed into his (semi) dry clothes which he took out from his bag.

He had fallen asleep for what felt like a few minutes before he heard something scurrying around in the cave. He opened his eyes and grabbed his short sword and stood up while crying "Who goes there!" He heard something behind him before everything went black.

He woke up sometime later with a sharp pain in the back of his head. He put his hand up to where he had been hit and touched it gently. "Ow!" he cried sharply. Whatever (or whoever) had hit him, hit him pretty hard. He sat up slowly and took in his surroudings. He was in some sort of cell. There was a nothing in the cell, not even a small cot to lay down on and his possessions were nowhere to be found.

He rose to his feet slowly and crossed to the cell doors and peered out. He saw his sack a short way down the passage. "Hello!?" he called out. "Hellooooo!?"

"Quiet you!" a sharp, deep voice said to his left. There, sitting in front of him, was an Orc. "Quiet, or I'll stick you like a bug without the Chief's permission. Besides, you're just going to get done in tomorrow anyway!! Hawhawhaw!!" he laughed crudely.

With that, Glirdingo backed off to the back of the cell and sat down. He was a little frightened. The cave he must have fell asleep in wasn't a cave at all. It was an entrance to Mount Gundabad! He moaned as this realization dawned upon him.

The guard got to his feet and walked down the passage, just out of sight. "Well, now that he's gone, I can start thinking of a way to get out here," he thought desperately. "I need to get out, before tomorrow comes or I'm going to be a dead Elf!"

He looked around the cave once more to see if there was anything he could use to help him escape. There was absolutely nothing. Once again, he rose to his feet and crossed the cell to the cell doors. He peered around outside his cell to see if there was something he could use to escape.

As luck would have it, the Orc had convieniently forgotten the keys to the cell door which were convieniently already placed in the lock. "Well, this is convienient!"

He reached his hand through the bars, grabbed the key and turned it carefully. He heard a small click and withdrew his hand. He pushed gently on the door and it swung open quietly (the locks were (convieniently) oiled just that day).

He tiptoed down the passage to where his belongings were. He searched his pack and noticed that everything was unharmed. "I kind of figured," he thought grimly. "Orcs wouldn't like Lembas bread and my canteen is empty. They wouldn't see the usefulness of this rope. As for my weapons..." he looked around and noticed that they were locked up beside his cell down the passage. "Again, that's convienient. How stupid could you be to put someone's weapons right next to their cell," he thought happily. He grabbed the keys and tired that for the lock for his weapons. "And how stupid could someone be to make the same lock for a cell and use the same key," he laughed inside.

He grabbed his bow and arrows and slung it on his back. He took his short sword and walked slowly down the passage. He saw the guard up ahead, his back turned to him. "Oh my, these Orcs are really quite stupid..." he thought sadly.

He walked up and slashed the orc who fell down dead instantly. He continued to walk down the passage. It took him quite some time, but with luck, he found his way out and ran into no one. "Hmmm, that was too easy..." he thought to himself. It was dark out and the rain had finally stopped. "I need to get away from here and fast," he thought desperately. And with that, he ran towards the Mountains as fast as he could towards the Misty Mountains.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #127
Gil-Galad

Galadster looked around, he was in a dark damp cell with a major headache, yet he felt different...

ah... what the...where am i?

Galadster looked around again, he found a dull metal bar i nteh ground and a couple of small rocks, he heard an orc guard outside cough

orcs... bloody orcs...

galadster took the metal bar and began banging the bars...

"stop that racket!"

galadster kept banging

"i said stop it!"

Galadster kept cosntantly banging the bar, till the orc guard came into the room and kicked him down through the bar

"i told you to stop it!"

no no, you can't find it!

"what? can't find what?"

you know the treasure here...bah i'm not suppose to tell you where this treasure is...

Galadster put it his hands on the ground as if to cover it, then the orc guard opened the cell and kicked galadster away

"if there is treasure it is mine"

the orc began to dig where Galadster had covered, then Galadster kickly punched the orcs jugular area, and the orc collapsed, trying to breath, but it couldn't.

Galadster then took the orcs sword and ran out, he looked around, he heard talking about these items, galadster went around and looked around the corner, there was 4 orcs, 1 in the back sleeping on a barrel againest the wall, three others going through Galadsters belongings, Galadster walked backwards and looked around another corner, it was an exit to the outside. Galadquickly ran back to the room with the orcs, took the orc sword he stole from the guard, and threw it at the sleepin orc, the 3 orcs turned to look at the now dead sleeper and wonder what happened, then Galadster ran in and grabed his scimitar that was on the table, he decapitated one of the orcs head when the other 2 turned around and tried to reach for their sowrds, but Galadster quickly cut off their arms and legs, leaving them there to bleed.

well that was interesting...

galadster quickly gathered all his belongings, including a full canteen of water from the orcs and he headed out, he began to head towards Arnor once again, but then a stone fell from the cave and hit him on the head

woah... what happened? did i go all super-crazy mode back then? nah... must have been a dream...

was it a dream? Who built the pyramids? find out next episode on THE ADVENTURES OF GALADSTER
Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM   #128
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
It was so early in the morning that it was still dark as Novgorod left the little town. He had decided to press on with the quest. Against the inn-keeper’s counsel Novgorod had decided to continue straight ahead and take a shortcut through the hilly grassland the locals called Barrow Downs. Evil spirits! Bah! Old wifes stories to keep the young from playing far away from home, lunacies of the drunkards told in hope of a one more pint...

But as Novgorod dwelt deeper to the Downs the unpleasant feeling of everything not being quite right came all the more pressing. Mostly it was the weird fog. He had noticed some faint stripes of fog in the moonlight already some time ago but hadn’t paid much attention to them. Fog was fog after all and it happend to appear here and there at times, especially early mornings. But slowly Novgorod started noticing the odd behaviour of this particular fog. As long as he was able to see any futher he had time to realise that there was no fog in any other parts of the Downs but just around him. And it was moving along with him, whirling slowly around and condensating all the time!

Then came the voice. It was a low and hoarse sound that didn’t seem to come particularly from anywhere but from everywhere around him. Like the fog itself would have produced it. It sounded almost like the voice was composed of syllables, forming words of sorts. The fog got whirling and condensing tighter around Novgorod.

--------

Novgorod woke up in almost complete darkness. There was some faint phosporous light on his right. As he turned his head, he saw a light radiating fog that had vaguely a form of a gigantic warrior clad in robes. Suddenly there was a flash of dimly emerging dawning light as a boulder was turned aside and the fog-monster disappeared. The rock was slammed to its place and it was pitch dark again. Now if something is, this is creepy... Novgorod knew well enough that the best way to make things worse now was to panic. So he panicked.

But after nothing happend in a few moments he managed to cool himself down enough and tried to think. Whatever that was and wherever I am, there must be a way to get out! Carefully he came down from the table made of wood and stone that he had been laid on. Slowly he started creeping towards the entrance that had just been slammed close. He used the wall as a guide. The wall was covered with a thick layer of dust.

He reached the rock that blocked his way out. Novgorod searched for a handle but managed not to find one. Okay. I’ll just push it open. Novgorod tried, then he tried with full force. The rock didn’t move an inch. Well, then what? Waiting here for that monster to come and devour me? Novgorod was wiping sweat from his forehead. There must be something here...

Novgorod decided to check the other side of the chamber too. Just beside the entrance he stumbled to his own backpack. His sword was laying beside it. Novgorod took his sack and tied his sword on him. These won’t probably be of any use but it’s nice to die with some familiar things around, Novgorod grinned to himself in the dark and continued following the wall. Soon he crashed to a smaller table. There were different arms, dull and dusty, laid over it. There were also some cups and a few pieces of gold and coins. From habit Novgorod gathered the goldpieces and the coins and put them into his sack. After a moment’s hesitation he threw two of the cups in too. One never knows, he said half-aloud to himself and smiled sarcastically.

The small chamber was fast walked around. Novgorod sat on the table he had laid earlier and got back to thinking. I will never win that kind of thing in a fight and it seemed not a kind of a guy who wants to have a discussion and turn it’s mind after some nice pleas by its captive. But it must fear or at least dislike something. The problem is that I haven’t the faintest what it could be. Merry songs perhaps? Novgorod almost bursted to laughter with the idea. He figured how it would look: himself standing on the table he was now sitting as the foggy monster would come back and by singing some merry old nursery-rhymes the wight would be trembling in terror! That was just too funny... and futile.

But then he came upon a more promising one. It took me while it still was dark outside and it went out as it was still the early morning hours and quite dim. It lives inside this chamber, well probably... possibly? So it might not like the light? The plan was worked out pretty quickly. There seemed to be no other reasonable options anyhow. If it comes back to hide away from the morning light, I have no time to lose!

He walked over the chamber to the smaller table and took the helmet from there. Then he carved some pieces of wood from the larger table and lit a small fire near the entrance, hoping that even some of the smoke would get sucked outside by the draught. Using a wrenched cup and a small dagger taken from the table he managed to adjust the helmet to stay upsidedown over the fire so that it began to heat. Then he took the Easterling’s piece of meat out from his sack and started carving the fat out from it in the light of his little fire. This is probably the best use for this piece of meat there ever is going to be! Happily I didn’t throw it away yesterday! He poured the fat into the helmet and checked that it started to melt slowly over the fire.

He tried to hear for any sounds outside the entrance but couldn’t hear any. Okay, then the showpiece! Fast Novgorod gathered the other items from the table and got to the bigger one. He assembled the armour, the shield and the sword over the table, making them lean towards the wall looking like someone standing there. After that he started frantically to rip the dust from the walls near the entrance, laying them handful after the other over the quasi-man he had built on the table. The he changed his clothes again. The silvery and golden embroideries in the Easterling robes would flash in light too. What a self-defence...

Suddenly he was feeling cold. Something was drawing nearer.

Hurry now! Happily almost all the fat had already melted. Novgorod took the helmet by covering his hands with the Easterling underwear and poured the melted fat to the cup he had put into his sack earlier. He spread some of it over the “wanna-be man” that was covered with dust and threw some to the walls behind. Then he got beside the entrance by the little fire and started stuffing the cup with dust, ready to act as soon as needed.

Then he heard the rock being heaved out from its place and saw the dawning daylight pour in. He had the underwear still in his hand. Fast he took most of the burning wood from the fire and threw them towards his display. The foggy shape of the Wight came in just as the fire bursted. The armour and the shield shined with light and the dust on the walls flared alight, the grease continuing to burn after the blinding initial flare of the dry dust. Simultaneosly Novgorod dropped the last little burning sticks to his cup filled with fat and dust. It bursted like a torch.

The Wight was confused for a moment and that was enough. Novgorod leaped out into the daylight with his homemade torch in hand. And he ran. He ran as fast his feet could carry him. He heard noises from inside the tomb. To his luck, the Wight had decided to deal with the fake one first. After it noticed the threachery Novgorod was already somewhat far away, in bright morning sunshine. The moan of the wight coming from behind him chilled him to the bone but he continued running.

Despite not noticing anyone following him, Novgorod run the whole way until he reached the end of the Barrow Downs.

Last edited by Nogrod; 08-29-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #129
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Kafkalina had finally reached her own neck of the woods, and was now happily climbing the northern downs with grace and ease. Now almost through, she paused to hear the voices of orcs ripping through the air and that of forlourn humans, as if a fading echo. She knew the downs had many a trick within the fog that encircled it, but the voices were stronger the farther she went. Slowly creeping on the top of one down, amoungst some alder trees, she viewed two of her rather ill-favored creatures, a small band of orcs, and three humans they were keeping as prisoners.

She would have no trouble passing around them, but there was no other trees to give her cover between where she was crouching, and the forest behind the orcs and their human entertainment.

Oh rah toom! Why must I be given such things to deal with. I don't want to save these humans, who may be no better than those vile orcs. Both cut, and slash, and hack, and burn... I guess though, humans are easier to educate, and far less likely to attack me at first. Then again, I guess the same is for orcs, I doubt they have seen such a creature as I in their lives. Even so, ho hoomm, I must be careful and cautious, what can they use against me?

Scanning the encampment, she saw that the humans were not dressed for the forest, or much travel at all. They of course, did not seem to have any weapons on them, as the orcs all carried axes and such of their design. There was supplies to make a fire, but it would be a damp one at most, because of the fog all around. Kafkalina felt a sense of advantage, but was careful as to plan it. Walking softly and in the thicker parts of the fog, she started to approach closer to the camp with her pole in hand. Spying a loose stone nearby, she picked that up as well.

Sitting now behind a down not far from the camp of orcs and their prisoners, she listened intently for the opportune moment, as the sky began to slowly loose light as dusk approached the northern downs.

" These filthy humans don't have any good things on them! No weapons, only a knife or two. Stupid villagers no doubt, i'm tired of raiding these flesh bags!" hissed one orc in disappointment.

" Shut your trap! At least they had food and supplies on them, and a wicked trap they brought to themselves here! No ghost I can see on the downs, except maybe theirs tonight!" cuckled by what seemed to be the more thoughtful of the orc band.

" They say that evil spirits, and that of fallen men, haunt these hills, Wights they're called. They're able to move the hills, and trees to work for them, and they sometimes take victims under the earth with them..." wispered another orc, glancing at the bound humans.

" Your head's rotted with man nonesense! You're letting those tales the prisoners tell get to you. I don't want you on watch near them tonight, go out near the hill tonight, now!" barked their leader.

"... and if I see one of these filthy flesh bags say another word, I'll have their tongues for supper!" the orc leader said, while flashing a long knife in front of its human captives.

Kafkalina smiled as she watched the scolded orc slowly approach the down where she was, this one seemed even more encouragable than the rest, and more likely to inspire fear in everyone. There it stood, looking out into the misty dark gray horizon, trying to appear frightening, but it's head was darting left and right in excitement.

Ha ro tumm! Now the time comes!

With that Kafkalina approached slowly with a stalk out of the mists, making a low calling sound that seemed to match the mood of the earth and air. The orc, quite small in comparison, looked out in the mist to view what seemed like a humanesque shape, carrying large weapons, and it was calling out for something other than a greeting. Quickly restepping in it's spot, it looked over its shoulder a few times until it could stand it no more. Running back, he sounded his imagination in terror.

" There is something coming, there is something coming! Look to the hill, it is coming out of the hill! It is a Wight! Hurry!" He raspped in alarm.

" I have had it with you, you mindless head of rot! Let me silence your babbling for good, you're tongue is mine no-" the leader stopped in mid bark, to stare up at the 'wight' of the down.

Kafkalina was now growling with delight as she starred down at the pitiful creatures, and without a word, began to attack. The orcs of course, did not stay in their stupour for long, and ran for their axes, or anything else of use. Using her stone carfully, she swooped it in their direction as the stone implanted them into the hill. The few others that remained had started attempts at a fire, but only had a flame in the moist air. Throwing them at her, she was able to swat them away just in time, but a few orcs were trying to escape to the woods and under cover.

" Rah toom! No you don't vile, slithering creatures! This is what you shall recieve for burning wood!" Kafkalina bellowed at them.

Just as they were to make it to the first tree, She extended her arm as far as she could and swipped at them into the distance. Looking about carefully, she found that they had been taken care off, except for one which she accidently stepped upon.

" Argh, disgusting and vile! I should be more watchful next time."

Kafkalina was about to go, when she remembered the human captives. She found them a few leagues away, trying to inch away within their bounds. There was utter horror and astonishment in their eyes, but mostly shock.

" Yo.. You... Please! Don't kill us, whatever you are!" One, an older boy, cried in shock.

Kafkalina bent down further, and gave a light laugh to this and smiled.

" Ho humm, have no worry young human, I am not bent towards killing things or people. I had only to attack your captors, becuase they were ill-favored to me, and in my path and would most likey not let me pass."

" What are going to do with us now then?" Asked another.

" Humm, well, I take it you are definately not woodsfolk, and that your home is not the forest. Here is what I shall do, if your home is not far from the outskirts of the forest, I can carry you to the outside borders and you can take your leave, but... Only if you promise not to attack me or, struggle and not listen to what I will tell you. It is not often that I do not meet men bent on greed for trees and nature, and it rarely that I care to save them in general. I hope that what I tell you will help you understand why I do not care so much for your kind, and what you should know to avoid further trouble in these woods. There are not only orcs that can cause you ill will, young humans..." Kafkalina said with an air of warning, she still found it hard to trust the shaken humans before her.

" Ye... Yes. Yes, if you could leave us at the northern edge of the forest it would be a blessing. We won't struggle, the orcs took the few weapons we had, and we have nothing else upon us. What you have to tell, we would gladly like to hear, we really enjoy tales... ah, or words of wisdom. Sorry, I sometimes confuse the two quite often. I hope you don't mind asking, what are you exactly?"

Carefully packing her pole and other things back into her bag, she bent down and carefully picked the three men up. Walking through the forest she began to reply.

" I am of the ents, old we are, and not many left either. My home is to slightly south of here, in what you call the Old Forest, but I am on other business right now and heading west. Now, I believe I think it is time I instructed all three of you in why I dislike woodsmen..."

After a slightly lengthy passing through the wood, and an even longer talk, Kafkalina left the three men at the forests' border. They told her farewell, and best of luck to whatever she was attending to. For humans, Kafkalina found them quite... odd. Not once through her speech did they fall asleep, or interrupt, they only looked up and seemed all ears to her words as if she was dripping gold from them.

Ho hummm... Seemed more like elves than simple human townspeople...

She continued her journey west, and the humans soon left her concern. The humans though, did not easily forget her, and reported back many times what they saw and heard, each time the tale grew larger, and so did the ent. Unfortunately, what did not grow longer was the humans' trust by others, and any bit of sanity they claimed to have.

Last edited by THE Ka; 08-29-2006 at 03:53 PM.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:05 AM   #130
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

"Dammit!" thought Ransley as he saw the large mass of rock and dirt which blocked the entrance. What on earth had he been thinking when he left his food in that stupid hole. It was so totally unlike him. What could he do? Hunt for food? Yeah, why not? There were rabbits a plenty here. Ransley smiled as he drew his short sword. Yeah, his food was growing stale anyway.

Using what he could find he set up a few traps and in the mean time went off to search for some fruits or such. He found a fair number of raspberry bushes. Why, it would have easily been enough to feed him for the remained of the journey. More food could come by later, he was close enough to home now. As he picked the berries he thought about how close he was now, he was not in this for the money.

He had never joined this race for the money. It had been for his own satisfaction. Ransley the Ranger had no need nor want for money. He had his own reasons for this quest but now he doubted he would even do what he had wished to. He wondered what he would do with all that gold if he did win... more so he wondered what the person who organized this really wanted. He also wondered if he would ever get a chance to fight that sissy Eoln.

Once he felt he had enough raspberrys he went back to check his traps. Yes, he had a few rabbits. Slash, slash, slash... he had a few dead rabbits. He stored them in his bag. Enough food to last the remained of the quest. Maybe he could retrieve that on the way back if he cared enough. Well regardless, Ransley continued on his quest.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 AM   #131
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Éomeléo tramped on, extremely cold and bitter. The Misty Mountains were proving very difficult conditions to travel through. There was no sign of life. Everything was still and frozen and....dead? Maybe not, but certainly comatose. If he had companions this could perhaps be viewed as romantic surroundings. Not while he was alone, though. It was miserable and, above all, dangerous.

Walking along a stretch of path beside one of the huge mountains, with nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, Éomeléo heard a worrying noise. It was a loud groan. He wondered if he had been disturbing any giant bears (and really, really hoped that he hadn't). He wondered what it could be for a few moments, but then the snow started to fall. Strange thing was, it was falling only on him. He looked up and there was no doubting that the snow was coming from the mountain-top. The groaning got louder and Éomeléo realised that he was going to have to survive an avalanche. Defeated, resigned, he just hoped it would be a small one.

The snow came crashing over the mountain, a white wave airborne, and Éomeléo instinctively raised both arms to make a point in the sky. The snow bludgeoned him, and his arms took the brunt of the force; but at least his head was more protected than it would have been. By sheer good fortune, the avalanche was not so big. It lasted only for a few seconds, and it did not cover him totally. The snow was chest-high, and Éomeléo began swimming through. He knew that he had limited time, and he had to find somewhere to start a fire. If he could not do this, chances of surviving the night were low.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #132
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thin-Gloomy was hungry and tired. Having moved swiftly westward he had used most of his food. And of my strength too, he thought dryly.

And those were the reasons why he had ended up to the human settlements in Arthedain. It seemed the word was swifter than a darting bird of prey; the news of his arrival had arrived to the King from mouth to mouth in a few hours, when he was still pondering what would be the best place for him to stay.

He was taken to the King. The King was a noble man with piercing grey eyes and remarkable height. He seemed to be fond of pompous speeches. ”Hail you, o wanderer from distant lands! What be your name and where do you come?” Thin-Gloomy bowed down. ”I'm Thin-Gloomy the dwarf, at your service, your majesty. I am from the Iron Hills.” ”And what do you seek from here?” ”Nothing but a shelter and food, your majesty” the dwarf replied humbly. ”Ha! And that is what you shall get”, the King replied with a glint in his eyes. He turned to the servants who were awaiting their master's call in the sides of the big hall. ”Get this dwarf some good food from the kitchen and let him rest for a while. Then send him to me.” ”This a great honour, your majesty”, Thin-Gloomy said, bowing down again, though he did not understand what was happening.

------

”I have a mission for you, my guest”, the King announced. ”My own folk can't leave their duties, yet I desperately need to know the position of the army of Angmar.” The King made a little pause and looked at the dwarf. ”Will you go, Master Thin-Gloomy?” How typical of Kings! That was not a question, actually it was an order. And the dwarf had a debt of gratitude to pay. ”I will find the information for you, your majesty”, he said and sighed. The King smiled. ”Then you may stay here as long as you wish and be provided for. When you choose to leave, your food supplies will be filled.” Thin-Gloomy nodded. ”Well, will you go now?” the King asked impatiently after a while. ”Do ravens live in these hills, your majesty?” Thin-Gloomy asked.

------

”If you are ready to trust me on this serious matter, your majesty”, Thin-Gloomy said, ”then you must be able to trust these birds as well. They have been friends of my people for a long time.” The King looked sceptical, when Thin-Gloomy turned to young, beautiful raven with strong wings. ”I beg thee, that you go to thy people and ask them if they have seen a big army coming from the North. They are evil people, and will destroy these lands if they get here. They will destroy your homes as well as these people's. These people are the only ones who can stop this army and so we must help them. Go now, my winged sister, and find out where this terrible source of evil camps.”

The raven looked at him in the eye, spread its wings and flew away. ”There goes your scout, majesty”, Thin-Gloomy muttered, watching the black bird in awe and respect.

------

”North of the North-Downs, you say?” the King asked. He seemed to agree that it made sense, though he cast a pondering look at the young bird on the dwarf's arm. ”Yes. My sister here and her people tell me so. They have no reason to lie; the army of Angmar will destroy their homes as well as yours, you majesty”, Thin-Gloomy answered, ”And as for me, I couldn't provide you more reliable information myself even if I saw the enemy army with my own eyes. It would only take more time. If you trust a stranger, your majesty, you must trust his friends as well.” ”Wisely said, Master Thin-Gloomy. I trust your birds then, though I'm not sure if it bades well.”

------

When Thin-Gloomy left, he had rested and left with fresh food. Yet the most important thing he had gained was respect and trust. They were rare delicacies for the malformed and ugly dwarf. Maybe I'm not that bad, after all, he thought walking away from the city. He almost smiled. He was one step closer to the hoard.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:16 PM   #133
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Boots

Day 8 has now ended. Night 8 has now begun. You have 24 hours.

Naria did not finish her daily tasks, she must complete her Day 6 post before she can continue.

Players that can converse are...

Kafkalina & Valesseka

Glirdingo & Galadster

All other players are on their own for the night.

You may now pm me your votes

P.S And by the way......Great posts everyone!!! Just fantastic!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Night 8.JPG (80.0 KB, 551 views)
Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 AM   #134
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdingo was walking along for the rest of the night. He finally decided to stop. He was just about to settle down and go to sleep for the rest of the night.

Just then he hear a noise in the bushes. He looked quikly around and saw the man that was camping near him the night before. "Oh, it's you," he said irritable. "Listen, I'm not in a good mood. So what do you want?"
Old 08-31-2006, 12:07 PM   #135
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
Glirdingo was walking along for the rest of the night. He finally decided to stop. He was just about to settle down and go to sleep for the rest of the night.

Just then he hear a noise in the bushes. He looked quikly around and saw the man that was camping near him the night before. "Oh, it's you," he said irritable. "Listen, I'm not in a good mood. So what do you want?"

Galadster walked down to see the Elf again

your not in a good mood! i just went psycho-commando on 5 orcs and killed all of them in brutal ways!, besides i think that we gotta stick together if were gonna make it through, you know like an alliance
Old 08-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #136
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Boots

The Ninth Day began without any problems. The Adventurers were tired and longed to stay put for just a little while, but one adventurer just kept on going, through all the hardships and trials. Only one could now see the lone figure of the Elf, Eoln standing stoically in wait, for the first to arrive.

"Come now dear traveller!!" Eoln beckoned to the one. " You are the first, you have won. Won more than you can imagine."

The tired adventurer followed the Elf wearily towards a fire to await the arrival of the other eight.

The game has now ended!! One player has made it all the way to the end. Please stay tuned for the winner and for the last storyline
Old 08-31-2006, 07:15 PM   #137
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Eoln tended to the fire and brought a hot cup of steaming tea to the lone adventurer. "Come now friend, you must be tired. I have readied a place for you to sleep as we await the others. I beg you please do not tell anyone that you have won, just wait for Berrick..." Eoln took the stumbling traveller to a soft bed made from tree boughs, not far out of the light of the fire. "But when will I meet Berrick? and when will...." "Hush now!!" Eoln interrupted the winner. " All your questions will be answered in time." Eoln put his finger to his lips, winked and was gone. The tired victor snuggled down into the comforting boughs. The lovely scent of the Elf still lingered long after he was gone. This lulled the adventurer off to sleep.

One by one the other adventurers began to appear, and one by one Eoln whisked them away to lovely scented beds of their own. Each traveller did not know weather he himself had won, Eoln said nothing, just hushed them, like he had the others and sent them to bed.
The moon was high in the evening sky when the last Adventurer made his way into Eoln's camp. They too were sent off to bed. The fire died down and all was quiet.

The dawn broke with such vibrancy and colour that each traveller awoke as if they were being silently called to awake. There sat at the now roaring fire, a bent, cloaked figure. All around the fire sat large logs fashioned into benches. A large pot sat bubbling away as the bend figure reached to stir it's contents.

"Do not be afraid! Come my friends, come sit and let's talk while I still have time"
The voice that came from beneath the cloak was calm but commanding at the same time. There was a shuffling of feet and a loud cough, but they all managed to find a seat. Everyone stared in awe and waited....and waited for the man to speak again. Then when they thought they could wait no longer the bent man lifted his hands and threw off his cloak and stood.
There stood a man of great age, bent from his life of travel. His eyes...his eyes were still young, like the blue skies on a clear sunny day. His body was wasted away and they began to wonder how he could even stand.

"I am Berrick" with that he sighed. " I know you all not, but in my heart I know you each intimately....I too had the lust for adventure and fortune. I have obtained these things....."He slowly went on, pondering each word before he spoke. He winced. Eoln appeared as if from nowhere and was at the old man's side to help him return to a sitting position.

" As you can see I have not long for this world......I will get straight to the point...." He sighed again, as if all the talking was making him tired. "I have wasted my life on treasure and adventure....Only now, do I regret not having had anyone to share my joys and sorrows with. I never married, never sired children....my only true friend is Eoln here....for what reason I know not, and he will accept no gold or riches from me, no matter how many times I try to sneak some into his belongings!!" With that Berrick gave a loud hearty laugh that gave way to a fit of coughing. Eoln again rushed to his side. "Sir you can not do this now!! You need rest!" "Rest? Rest! that is all I do now....no I must finish this now before it is too late....." His eyes wandered to the faces of the people around him, they simply sat and waited.

"Well enough babble....." Berrick reach out now to Eoln. "It is time." Eoln nodded his head and quickly ran to fetch a large woolen package. He handed it to the frail man, who bent even further under it's weight. Eoln winced, but stood still as he had earlier been instructed. With a dramatic swoop at the right moment, Berrick whipped the blanket from what lie beneath.

There he held a large Dragon trophy made of gold. It shimmered in the rising sun. He raised it as high as he could manage into the air and shouted...

"Thin-Gloomy Dwarf of the Misty mountains....You and only you have won this task I had set before you. I present you with this!!....." He handed the statue to the waiting Dwarf. "As well as everything I own, which Eoln will discuss with you later. And here is the map. The only map of where the hoard is hidden. I have hired some help for you to carry it where you like." He struggled for a moment, then clasped the Dwarf by the shoulders and held him close for a brief moment." I say this to you now and to all of you..." He swept his hand towards the astonished others. "Do not waste it!! Do not throw your life away as I did mine!! Settle down...Start a family... Enjoy every minute until the last....Have no regrets....." He turned towards the others. " I congratulate you all!! I am so proud of each and everyone of you for making it this far.I hope even though you did not win, you take away something from this great journey you have travelled, whether it be self confidence, or friendship.....or perhaps even love....."

The great man's legs faltered and wavered and he fell crashing to the ground. Eoln was there in a flash, and cradled the men's head in his lap.. " The travellers gasped and fell quiet.

"I Have to go...." He whispered. " I cannot linger any longer. I have waited......waited so long for this moment......" His eyes fluttered. " Goodbye..... and may you heed my advice." With that his vivid eyes dulled and closed. Everything fell silent. Noone moved. The silence was split by the wails of Eoln. His lamentation for this man...his friend was great. He turned to the travellers and almost yelled..." Go now, back to your own lives!! But forget this man not!! for he was wise and noble and great no matter what he may have thought! Take these." He tossed eight small hefty bags to each of the losing travellers." He felt so much for you all that he could not bare the thought of any of you going away with nothing to start your new lives with." Eoln's voice cracked. "You Thin-Gloomy, you will see on your map the very house that Berrick lived in, this is now yours. I shall meet you there to discuss your fortune. And to you all I bid you farewell, You are all great Adventurers...do not forget that. Just do not let that be your only life.."

Eoln lifted the body of the frail man and wrapped him in his cloak. He looked once to the sky, then back to the adventurers, and he was gone.

The race was over. Just like Berrick's life. But the lives of the Nine had just begun.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Trophy.gif (85.5 KB, 615 views)

Last edited by Valier; 08-31-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:29 AM   #138
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thoughts still danced wildly in his head, not forming a clear shape. He could not believe, or understand, what had happened. Thin-Gloomy, being a lifetime pessimist hadn't seriously even dreamed of winning and there he was, holding the dragon trophy. Tears were running down his cheeks before he even realised it was happening. For the first time for years, Thin-Gloomy let other people see him weeping. All he cared about right then was his happiness.

He had never won as a child. He had been weaker and slower than the other children. If luck or his wits had given him victory over his playmates, they had taken his victory from him by accusing him of cheating. The same things had followed him to adulthood. He never won. Or if he won, he was a cheater. As time had went by, he had started believe himself to be a loser and a cheater.

This race had however taught him something. Standing there, tears on his cheeks and gripping the golden dragon not to let it fall, he had no doubt he was the winner. He knew he was and he knew he had not cheated. He never had.

He kissed the golden dragon trophy gently. It was key to his yet unforeseen future and he had never posessed such a beautiful and valuable item. But it was only the top of the iceberg of the tresures he was to possess some day.

For Thin-Gloomy, the adventure had only just begun.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 07:36 AM   #139
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdingo clapped appreciateively for the Dwarf. He, like the others of his race, didn't have a fondness for Dwarves. As Thin-Gloomy walked away, Glirdingo looked at the Entwife, Kafkalina. "Well, my friend, it was a pleasure to see one of your race before I go," he looked up at her and smiled. "Just with that one night, you have taught me that I can't stay cooped up in Lorien for the rest of my days."

With that, he looked out across the fields, his keen eyes seeing things the others could not. He looked back up at the Entwife. "Perhaps we could walk back to Fangorn together? Just to see what it's like now a days?"
Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 AM   #140
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Éomeléo stood there smiling. He was happy for the Dwarf, who looked quite overwhelmed. Who knows what he will do with the riches the man thought. What prospects for his life, his family's, his people's? There would be so much to do, and such adventure to be had.

Éomeléo walked up to Thin-Gloomy, shook his hand and congratulated him on his success. Walking back to where he was, he finally made eye-contact with Valesseka, who was sort of staring at him and shifting her feet uncomfortably. The effect rubbed off on the Gondorian. Blinking nervously, he pondered the words of Eoln.

"Perhaps even love..." Love? Could that mean....
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #141
Gil-Galad

Galadster looked around at the other contestants

cool, a lively bunch really

Galadster streched his arms and yawned

I'm gonna make some breakfest, anybody wants any? how about you ladies?

Galadster was nodding towards the female travellers, giving them flowers and all that romantic stuff
Old 09-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #142
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Kafkalina smiled and gave her appreciation for Thin-Gloomy. Unlike other ents, even though they were sent by Yavanna to keep Aule's dwarves in balance in concern to arda, she had a relatively good relation to them, or at least the ones from the Blue Mountains. This one had seemed different from others of its' kind she had seen, and thought it was quite nice that he was able to recieve something wonderful for his troubles in life.

The elve from Lorien was there as well, and did not hesitate to pick up another conversation from the last.

"Just with that one night, you have taught me that I can't stay cooped up in Lorien for the rest of my days."

This startled Kafkalina a bit, and seemed to be more than just an opinion of sorts, it seemed to reflect unto her existence as well. What was there left for her to do now, return and make use of what she had now, and buy off more land for her trees? Then what?

"Perhaps we could walk back to Fangorn together? Just to see what it's like now a days?" The elve suggested.

She jumped a little at this, and blinked a bit in surprise.

Ho humm! Visit Fangorn? I won't like to admit that I would rather not, who knows what those ents have made of themselves, and that forest. Then again, it has been so long since I left the others, I guess it would not hurt to make more meaning to my existence.

Bending down to speak with Glirdingo, she gave what was on her mind, even though it would probably have to be thought over again and again, because it was an enttish tendency. Even so, she was somewhat more of haste than other ents, that she could admit.

" Though it has been quite a long time in the measure of others, and even myself since I have visited Fangorn, and I am quite unsure how we will be welcomed, I would not mind walking again in old places of the world. Though, I must warn you that I cannot leave so suddenly, I have trees to take care of, and of course a few Hourns stationed in charge of my home wood that I must inspire again with my presence. They can be fixed as I have taught them, but sometimes they need a reminder to not carry away with power. This I assure you, will not take long, only a day or so, then we can be off. It sounds like a lovely trip to visit an old home."

It made her smile to think of what Fangorn might be, and maybe she could see lovely Lorien again. In the middle of her day dreaming, one of the humans anonunced he would be serving breakfast, and seemed to nod this to the female travelers. Kafkalina gave this a puzzled look, and shook her head in amusement.

Ro tor tumm! The day humans make ent draught, I'll live in a house and cook with a fire...
Old 09-01-2006, 03:15 PM   #143
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Smiling numbly at the dwarf Valesseka waited for those adventurers who were more familiar to him to pass. When it was her time she gave him a quick peck on the cheek (Which in her mind was much more precious than any gold or well wishing). "Congratulations, Master Dwarf." was really her only words to the stranger before freezing.

Oh Eru! He's looking at me... Valesseka blushed and shuffled her feet nervously. There was Éomeléo... and he was looking at her! Twisting her foot nervously on the floor she fought in vain to figure out something intelligent to say. For the longest time she had convinced herself to hate him, and now with all of her reason to gone... he wasn't so bad. Fortunately her attention was turned momentarily to Gil-Galad, who handed her a small collection of flowers. "Oh, uh... no thanks."

Briefly Valesseka wondered what the Ent's reaction to being handed a flower would be...

The Gondorian had by now approached her and greeted Valesseka with a very nervous, but nonetheless admirable "We meet again."

"I-I guess so," she stammered, also recalling Eoln's words. She blushed and waited awkwardly for her breath to catch up with her thoughts. "This... might be terribly blunt of me... but after this journey I don't wish to travel alone for a long while... " Valesseka looked up at Éomeléo shyly "perhaps this time we won't get seperated during the daylight?"
Old 09-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #144
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Even at this point, Éomeléo was unsure exactly what Valesseka thought of him. Most things indicated that she wanted to stay with him for a long time, but there was still that hint of adversity in those, admittedly beautiful, eyes of hers. He thought back to that night in Rhovanion, where she had been seething in anger for reasons Éomeléo could not guess. But he also remembered that horrible night after the Huorn-attack, when he had felt so alone and had wanted her beside him so much. Surely that feeling could not go unreciprocated? That would be tragic. He stood in a daze, imagining the horror.

But returning to reality:

"Valesseka" he said, "I do want to travel with you. Where is it you want to go?"

And he took her by the hand.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:26 PM   #145
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdingo smiled happily up at the Entwife. "My dear friend, do not be troubled or be too hasty, for that is not the way of your kind. We shall go back to your home and we can spend a week there if we must. I am in no rush to visit Fangorn. After all, we will both live forever, whether it be here in Middle-Earth or in the Undying Lands of the Valar."

He looked at the other contestants, none of whom he had really made friends with. He noticed just how many Men there were. "But we should add a little haste, my friend. For I feel it in my bones that our time here is drawing to an end. How soon or how far off, I cannot tell. But I feel it coming."

Then, the moment passed and he smiled again. "But for now, let us enjoy each other's company while we may and make plenty of memories together."
Old 09-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #146
Gil-Galad

Post # 4000

Ah memories...
Galadster looked at Glirdongos quiver and noticed the arrows, they were the same kind of arrow that he got shot with

Woah! your the one that shot me!

Galadster said out to Glirdingo
Old 09-01-2006, 04:31 PM   #147
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Suddenly, the man (Galadster) who had been camping near him in the last bit of the race shouted out "Woah! your the one that shot me!"

"Yes, it was - wait, what!?" He said confused. "What do you mean I shot you? You don't seem to be harmed."
Old 09-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #148
Gil-Galad

Well you put a dent in my armour, your the one that shot randomly into the forest! you shot me!

Galadster said to Glirdingo as he turned around
Old 09-01-2006, 04:38 PM   #149
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdingo looked at Galadster in surprise. "So THAT'S why the arrow thudded!! I was wondering what it was. It's been bugging me for quite some time. As for your armour, well, that can be easily fixed."

Then, a sudden brainwave hit him. "Kafkalina, would you have a problem with this man coming with us on our journey? He is yet young (to us that is) but I sense the spirit of an adventurer in him. But of course, that is if you would like to join us Galadster?"
Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #150
Gil-Galad

well that really depends there buddy, where shall we be travelling and what use would you have me, an Easterling, for?

Last edited by Gil-Galad; 09-02-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #151
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Besides an offering of food, the human had decapated a few flowers, and was trying to pass them out as well. Kafkalina gave a slight cringe to this, even though flowering plants were far from the station of an ash tree, the gardening patterns of th entwives seemed to have rubbed off into her personality.

Glirdingo was considerate enough to take in account that though Kafkalina might promise to keep the talking with Hourns short, but realitically, she knew back at her home they would be nothing but curious about everything. Even more so of Glirdingo.

"But we should add a little haste, my friend. For I feel it in my bones that our time here is drawing to an end. How soon or how far off, I cannot tell. But I feel it coming." added in the elve.

She did not need him to explain why he said this, she already took into account the number of men there were. Relation wise, she would rather be in the company of dwarves (whom she really did not ill favour as much as outsiders might expect), than humans. The only men to have made an exception to her where the small bands of rangers, who were the few forest dwellers without timber and destruction on their minds, though, she naturally had slight suspicion of anyone really. Kafkalina now was in deep thought again, trying to remember when was the last time she actually saw a human ranger, they too seemed to have dwindled.

This did not last long though, for it seemed her elven friend was now in a debate with the man who had tried to pass decapitated flowers around. Kafkalina shook her head again. This was a confrontation that was as old as time, and it would be best not to take sides. This sparked another thought to her, when was the last time that a dwarve and ent were in a debate? She had to shake the odd thought off as Glirdingo called her back into the moment with a question.

"Kafkalina, would you have a problem with this man coming with us on our journey? He is yet young (to us that is) but I sense the spirit of an adventurer in him. But of course, that is if you would like to join us Galadster?"

Ho humm! My, that was a hasty decision! Ether this, or it seems these two have had more of a history together. Well, it seems quite odd that they would take up a side like this, but again, man and elve have done it before. It does not seem too difficult, though, passing a man through Fangorn is going to be quite a difficult task... Hmmm

She was about to finish her decision, when Galadster wished to inquire himself.

"Well that really depends there buddy, where shall we be travelling and what use would you have me, and Easterling, for?"

Easterling!? Rah ro tumm! What is this name calling for?! My, my, the tongues of men have been sure to turn so judgemental. I definately cannot bring this creature into Fangorn without being battered myself, taking me for an entmaiden bent towards wickedness. Rum tor hmm... I must set the trail straight if Glirdingo cannot...

Turning to Galadster with a stern face, she addressed him in a serious tone she mainly used on mischevious young Hourns.

" First of all young master Galadster, I am no Easterling, nor am I a tree. I am an entmadien of Eriador, and my reasoning for coming to this northern land is my own. You may call me by my much shorter name, Kafkalina, as my enttish one would be too long even for the most patient elve. Glirdingo has offered a joint position to join him to traveling in Fangorn, for the simple purpose of adventure, though more of a re-visiting for myself. I might be bold to say this, but I highly doubt that an elve and a man would be allowed into such an old and well loved area without attack, or a trap being placed. Hopfully, if you are willing to listen to a few words of caution on the way, I might be able to help the both of you through, though the chances are all up to a possibility. I am a bit uneasy about it as well, I do not know how many of the ents are still there, or might have wicked intentions for us. Though, thus is the curiousity of adventure I presume."

She ended her words with a lighter air, though it seemed that the conversation was to be an interesting one.

Last edited by THE Ka; 09-02-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #152
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Arnorian thought for a short while before answering: "I've seen the mountains, the forests and the sea, and to all honesty, I would much prefer to go home."

She had just noticed the handholding and with intense interest watched to see if lightning sparks would shoot from their palms... (That would be exciting, now wouldn't it?) Nothing. It seemed that they were just holding hands, and in a rather playful turn in her thought Valesseka argued to herself how rude the Gondorian was for taking her breath away again (I'm so cheesey). She curlled her fingers around his hands and smirked slightly "It isn't far from here I'm sure, nor is it very large, but after what we've talked about at night I'm sure you will be impressed."
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #153
Gil-Galad

Galadster listened to the ent

Well of course, but just imagine what people would think, and Easterling travelling with an elf and an ent, and when they ask how me and glirdingo met, i will just calmly say, "oh he shot me in the forest randomly one time". But it is another adventure for me to travel, i never imagined leaving Rhun and even crossing the mountains...

Galadster looked up as Glirdingo and Kafkalina were staring at him

But now is not the time to be pondering thoughts! its suppose to be a happy occasion! so i won't argue about who shot who, lets enjoy ourselves and be merry!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:26 PM   #154
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

"But now is not the time to be pondering thoughts! its suppose to be a happy occasion! so i won't argue about who shot who, lets enjoy ourselves and be merry!"

Glirdingo looked at Galadster ponderingly. Then he looked back at Kafkalina. "Could I have a private word with you, over here?" he asked her then looked back at Galadster. "We'll just be a moment."

He walked a little ways a way from Galadster. "My dear Entwife, I understand your mistrust of him. However, I think he's quite different from other Easterlings. He seems peacful, quite the contrary for his kind. I say we give him a chance. Who knows, he could help us out of troubles which we might not be able to get out of ourselves. So what do you say my friend?"
Old 09-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #155
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
“We’ll see the outcome, although I can’t see the reason why these dwarves would be on the lead here” He had nodded towards the dwarves and then smiled to the others. “We may almost walk across the river, but these guys must swim. Nice to see you little folk to do your best!” With a big grin he had walked into the River and started crossing it. (Nogrod #15, modified)
How long it was from those days? And the other dwarf had won! The news struck Novgorod like a hammer. This just can’t be! I was so close! And I must have been in the lead! I just stopped for an hour at those creepy Barrow Downs... Then he became to think about it.

No, it’s not possible. I have wandered only a few miles the day I left Bree as I ran the whole day after getting free from the mound and got here. So I must have been lying in the Barrow for a whole day! Some shortcut that was!

Novgorod was swallowing his pride with the revelation. He had been stupid not paying heed to the inn-keeper’s advice and with that he had lost everything. Cursed be my stubborness...

One dwarf stole the trophy and the other stole my heart! ... Cut it, right there! Don’t get overwhelmed by the things! She wished you no good and it was good we did not trek together for any longer. Carefully Novgorod took a sideways look at Narleah who was sitting some yards away from him. She surely had shaken Novgorod’s balance. Both of the dwarves had.

Before this challenge he had thought of the dwarves as being stupid, boring and greedy. Now one of them had beaten him in a fair competition and the other one had proven to be more interesting than he would have allowed to himself. Queer folk...

There was a lot of hassle and joining together after Eoln had departed with Berrick. Narleah seemed to be sitting alone. Slowly Novgorod stood up from the bench and took the few steps to reach her. Whatever, otherwise I’d be wandering home alone anyhow...

“Hi, Narleah! You still haven’t told me the origins of the song I sang you days ago. If you have no company home, come with me, you’ll have plenty of days to remember it, and maybe we could find other songs and stories to share?”
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #156
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"My dear Entwife, I understand your mistrust of him. However, I think he's quite different from other Easterlings. He seems peacful, quite the contrary for his kind. I say we give him a chance. Who knows, he could help us out of troubles which we might not be able to get out of ourselves. So what do you say my friend?"

Kafkalina relaxed a bit and decided to explain alittle of herself, and state her decision, now that time had been given to backtrack it in her mind, where she favoured to keep a couple of them in check at one time.

" Glirdingo, I do not ill favour any creature for where they come from, but after many years of having to fight with men, and trying to exchange thoughts with them, but only being answered with fire and closed minds, I have grown as my bark is thick, with mistrust. The reason why I came to the call of this adventure is for the reason of a final plight for my trees and forest, to hopfully sway men's thoughts from my woods to that of the mineral riches they desire so much. On this adventure, though I met others few, I did learn that I could sway my forest, but not the nature of others forever. Also, it is beings akin to young Galadster whom I can now see that I am not so far from. I too am a different branch of my kind, I never went to make gardens, or east for that matter, or was put into a lovely song. Sorry if I am hard to understand my friend, my years are too long for my words sometimes. I guess what I mean to say is, I've never walked the same earth for too long with other ents. As for my decision, I am not too hasty, nor do I wait as long as an oak to make a decision. I presume that is why my leaves fall still green... Anyways, before I fade into too many thoughts, I agree with your decision. It will not be easy to walk no longer solitary, but possibly meeting other ents is far more uneasy than any journey with you both shall be. Besides, it shall be pleasant to learn more of what has been happening with the other half of the world."

She ended her words with a bit of a relief and patted the top of her head to check a now old wound. It was still very much there, but small shoots had begun to grow in place, eventually, the mark would not show so much, or she hoped.