The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2002, 10:59 AM   #1
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril Brush Up Your Tolkien

Well, everyone, the movie is sure coming in a lot quicker than I thought (though there is still a wait ahead). Two days ago I picked up <I>The Two Towers</I> again because I wanted to brush up on everything.<BR>I found that some of my favorite parts from FOTR are the parts that are in the books and only people who are familiar with the books will get them. So, I figured that I should re-read TTT so that I can catch these smaller things in this film. <BR>It's amazing how I just re-read it this Spring after seeing FOTR for the 6th(7th,8th?) time and I have already forgotten a lot of smaller details.<BR>I am particulary interested in the quotes because I love to see which ones they keep.<P>Of course, this could result in my getting annoyed then if something I really want to see is not included, but I can live with that...<P>Is anyone else in the process of, or planning to, re-read the book before the movie?<BR>How do you think it will affect your views of the movie if you do/don't?
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:01 PM   #2
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I am re-reading the (whole) trilogy right now (for the 9th time), but now in English for the first time. Isn´t it just amazing...*sigh* <BR>And I think it WILL affect me, as I will have a clear memory of TTT when I see the film, and will therefore be as "nitpicky" as I was when I saw FOTR. (I had just read it for the 6th time then.) About general "happenings", details and quotes. I just hope I won´t be too annoyed after seeing it, like, as annoyed as when seeing the trailer for the first time. (Looked like a disaster to me.)<P>Eärendil<p>[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Eärendil ]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:06 PM   #3
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Well, I often read my favorite parts over and over. I don't know if I read the whole thing straight through before seeing the movie...we'll see. I don't want to be nitpicky the first time I see it. I'll save that for later. But if and when I do notice things that aren't there (odd little sentance, that!) I'll just tell myself, "It'll be in the Special Edition, it'll be in the Special Edition!" Like when I watched FotR and noticed to my disappointment that there was no gift-giving scene and that Gandalf didn't threaten to knock on the doors of Moria with Pippin's head. And lo and behold, they are now in the Special Edition!
Old 11-13-2002, 12:15 PM   #4
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

Hmm, <B>Tigerlily Gamgee</B>, that's a good idea. But the problem is that I started reading FOTR again. I'm in 'Flight to the Ford' right now. So if I read fast I might be able to read TTT also. I hope so! <p>[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #5
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I have read the books several times since last Christmas, I don't think that I will read them again before December. I already practically have the whole thing memorized, not the little nitpicky quotes, but the general idia's. If I read it again I fear that I might start to get bored with it. I don't want to read it just because I have to before christmas. I will probebly read it again next summer, along with all of the other books.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:39 PM   #6
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

Well, I just read LOTR for the first time in August, then read the Hobbit. I'm re-reading FOTR right now, and hopefully will get through TTT before the movie!! Right now I'm at the Council of Elrond. If I read fast, I can do it. It's just a matter of how much extra reading time I will have!!<BR>Arwen, Queen of Gondor
Old 11-13-2002, 04:41 PM   #7
Pookabunny
Wight

Pookabunny has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pookabunny
1420!

I also wanted to brush up on my Tolkien before TTT came out and ended up reading all 4 books (Hobbit first) in less than a month - far faster than the first time I read them.<P>It'll be a wonderful experience, in my mind, to have the story from the books in me and then experience the story told in the movie. <P>As long as we all realize that the film IS different and MUST be different, then it'll be a better, fun, and thrilling experience.<P>I still can't firgure out why PJ changed the name of Aragorn's horse to a Gondor Soldier's name (in ROTK)...
Old 11-13-2002, 06:12 PM   #8
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm re-reading the whole of LotR before TT comes out, even though I'm supposed to be reading other stuff...<P>I finished Fellowship, and I'm at the Entmoot now.<P>~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-14-2002, 03:45 PM   #9
Aramacil
Wight

Aramacil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not planning to read TTT again, because I think that when I go to the movie I'll have a few "yeah, I forgot that part" moments, and doesn't this make the movie a little bit more fun?<P>P.S. I'm know re-reading The hobbit, so I probably won't even make it in time
Old 11-14-2002, 10:36 PM   #10
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I am also rereading them. Like Arwen (sorry I forgot your no.) I read them for the first time this august,too. I reread FOtR and I'm to Shelob's lair int TTT. I'm stalling the last chapters because they are so sad and I have to read them at home all alone so I can cry. I want to have it fresh in my mind when I see the movie. I read them very quickly the first time so I'm taking it slower this time and I'm enjoying all the little things I missed the first time.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:52 PM   #11
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm stalling the last chapters because they are so sad and I have to read them at home all alone so I can cry. I want to have it fresh in my mind when I see the movie. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That is too funny! I did the exact same thing! Especially at the end of ROTK. I knew I would end up crying, if nothing else just because it was the end of the story of these people. I always cry in books and movies, but I hate doing so in front of other people, so I had to read the sad parts in my room by myself. I'm glad I'm not the only one who dies that!!<BR>Arwen, Queen of Gondor
Old 11-15-2002, 11:34 AM   #12
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

I just recently finished TTT the other day, and am now on RotK (for the 2nd time)