The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien The Return of the King time

hey, i'm new to the site. But i have been hearing many things concerning the new movie. My question concerns the movie time. I've heard a couple things about a 4+ hour movie, but i'm not sure. I wouldn't mind, though it seems logical since they chopped the end off TTT. Frodo still has to meet Shelob and the Cirith Ungol thing, then the whole palantir part, then you have to do the RotK. That's a lot to do for a 3 hour movie. I don't want them cutting out stuff. The whole Osgiliath thing could have been cut out and replaced it with the previous. Well, if anyone can clear this up, i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Welcome, Maeglanthirion! I haven't been dead long either, but you'll find it's pretty cool when you get used to it. <P>Regretfully, I cannot clear up your question completely as there has been a great deal of speculation on that subject. I have heard much about it being longer than three hours, (and I certainly hope it will be) but four-plus was news to me. You might try doing a search -google perhaps?- on that particular subject...Sorry this probably hasn't helped much, but I did try. <P>-Arwen

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 03:45 PM   #3
Alaruid

Silmaril

I haven't heard those things, but I really don't want to sit for 4+ hours. Can you say sleep?<P>Alaruid
Old 07-26-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's not 4 hours. That is most likely the finished cut, and they will scale it down to 3 hours and something for cinema.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I haven't heard those things, but I really don't want to sit for 4+ hours. Can you say sleep?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> When we're talking about the newest adittion to the LOTR 'family', & when we're talking the 1st time seeing it, no, I cannot say sleep. I'd be hard pressed to EVER sleep through any LOTR movie (depending largly on how late it is when I'm watching it, of course! )! But I'm afraid it most likely won't be 4 hours. There's still a glimmer of hope for a 3 & a half hour-3 hours 45 minute movie, but I doubt we'll get four. All I know is PJ 'vowed' to show no restraints when it came to getting stuff in, in regards to time. I'm not sure if that just made sense or not, but right now I have a splitting headache & I'm quite tired, I'll probably wake up tommorow moring (at around 11!) & find this all a messed up, mis-spelled mess. Oh well.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:15 AM   #6
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Pipe

I read somewhere that it was going to be a three and a half hour movie in the cinma. The EE was going to be like four hours though. But thats only what I have read
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

The more they can shove in there the better I say.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 02:40 PM   #8
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I Agree, i'd rather have a 4 hour ROTK than a 3 hour ROTK. Besides hasn't anyone seen real 3+ hour movies like Das Boot and Lawrence of Arabia?? You people have no strength
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I would love for it to be 3 and a half-4 hours long, but the only problem for me is that my dad and I have made it a tradition to go for the first time on the evening of the Wednesday it opens (dec 17, this year), and that is a school night (though the in the last week of school, granted, but this generally means exam time). If I went to say, a 7:30 showing, it would laxt until after 11:00, which could cause some tiredness the next day (or perhaps not ). But anyway, my question is, how are we supposed to go the bathroom? This dilemma is illustrated by the following incident: During TTT, my mom asked me about when there was a good time to go to the bathroom. My reply- "There isn't!" . Which will create obvious problems, considering that ROTK will be the most exciting of all. What are we to do?

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 03:25 PM   #10
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dūm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

*spoiler*<P>Don't worry about the running time. RotK is actually the shortest book (not counting the appendices) and they're not doing Scouring of the Shire so that will cut out quite a lot. I think it should just about fit. And as for the running time, I think it'll be about 3 and a half hours.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:37 PM   #11
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

Well, i saw Gods and Generals, which was 4 hours. It had an intermission, so if RotK was long enough, an intermission wouldn't be a problem. If they're cutting out the Scouring of the Shire as you say, i will be very upset, because that was a good part. I would like to see hobbits in action!
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:19 PM   #12
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Remember that these films are not made just for us die-hard Tolkien fans, but also for mass audience appeal (a great shame, many would say). And I doubt that a film which was much over 3 hours would appeal to the the modern average film-goer. So I should imagine that the version of RotK for cinema release will be more or less the same length as the two previous films.<P>Of course, we always have the extended version to look forward to.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #13
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I have heard though that the executives at New Line have seen rough cuts of the film, and they think what they have seen is so wonderful that they are going to allow PJ to go as long as is needed. Which for me sounds like a good idea.<P>I think that it will probably be 3 3/4 hours long. Even though ROTK is the shortest book they have much material from TTT to cover, and many loose ends to tie up.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:43 PM   #14
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Last I heard was 3 hours and 10 minutes.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1054307952" TARGET=_blank>http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1054307952</A><P>If someone has a more recent update, let us know, but don't expect much longer.<P>H.C.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:56 AM   #15
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

Wahahaha! I have inside info! My brother works in a movie theater, and he just told me it is exactly 3 hours 26 min. That's not bad! <P>PS<BR>Welcome Alaruid! Hope you enjoy being dead!<P>Nehani of the Forest

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:35 AM   #16
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

I wonder how long that means the EE will be...

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-28-2003, 11:00 AM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> he just told me it is exactly 3 hours 26 min. That's not bad! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Not meaning to doubt your brother, but I suspect even PJ doesn't know "exactly" how long the movie is going to be. From everything I've heard on movie making, film makers are continually reworking films right up to the day they are due - which is less than a month before they appear in theaters. A popular expression is that films are never finished, they just escape.<P>PJ himself makes similar comments on the director's commentaries with the EE Fellowship.<P>H.C.<p>[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 07-28-2003, 05:42 PM   #18
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

If it does end up being 3 hours & 26 minutes, I'd guess the extended version would be close to, or exceeding 4 hours, Arwen Eruantale. <BR> <p>[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-28-2003, 09:34 PM   #19
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think however long it is, it'll all be worth it.<P><BR>-Genevieve
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:43 PM   #20
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really hope that RotK will be fairly long (around 3hr 15 min); they've got a lot of stuff to tie up, even though the Scouring is being left out--GRR!!! And the extended version...oh boy, I can't wait to get my hands on that! I wonder (without a shred of hope) if they'll put the scouring in that?<P>And a solution to everyone's bathroom break prob: don't get one of those massive--and overpriced--Cokes. That way you won't have to leave during the movie.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:54 PM   #21
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

No, I'm pretty sure it's 3 hours & 26 min. It's in the magazine that is sent out to the movie theaters about running times, new euipment, etc. Tee hee hee! I can't wait to watch Extended Version! There is something to wait for after the movie!<P>Nehani

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM   #22
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The Extended version is going to be awesome!!! I canNOT wait until rotk and the extended version!! Ahhh!! Im all excited now! How am I supposed to survive until it comes out!?
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:36 AM   #23
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><I>If it does end up being 3 hours & 26 minutes, I'd guess the extended version would be darn close to, or exceeding 4 hours, Arwen Eruantale. </I> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>*laughs hopefully, and a bit truimphantly*<P>That would be so awesome.... they could fit just about everything, or at least enough, in there couldn't they? I say the longer, the better! <p>[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen Eruantale ]

Will you pay attention?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:31 PM   #24
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Yep, more of LOTR is perfectly fine by me!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:28 PM   #25
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And the extended version...oh boy, I can't wait to get my hands on that! I wonder (without a shred of hope) if they'll put the scouring in that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There is <B>NO</B> hope for the Scouring. In the director's commentary of FotR EE, PJ said that the Scouring had not even been filmed.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:45 PM   #26
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

There'd really not be much of a point to the scouring even being in the extended version, since Saruman will already be dead. Besides, I don't mind the hobbits coming back to a peaceful (or at least fairly peaceful) Shire. I wouldn't have minded Tokien leaving out the Scouring in the books, actually. I no I'll be killed now, but oh well.