The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
The Animated Hobbit?

Here's a 12-minute video that I found has been going around on the web. Apparently, in 1966, Gene Deitch (a creator of Tom and Jerry cartoons) did a short (very short) animated version of The Hobbit.

The article is kind of aggrivating because of Deitch's attitude, but the video is, how shall I describe it...amusing? Deitch certainly gets creative in the liberties of making this version of The Hobbit:

http://www.themarysue.com/gene-deitc...it-short-film/

And maybe this is where PJ did his research in doing the Tauriel character? Oh boy, we can only hope.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-11-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Here's the full piece by the film maker http://genedeitchcredits.com/roll-th...liam-l-snyder/

Quote:
Snyder came up with some amazing projects for me. In 1964, before anyone but some obscure Brit kids ever heard of it, Bill handed me a faded little 1937 children’s book named, The Hobbit. He recognized it was a great story, and he obtained the film rights to it and the other works by a fusty old English philologist, named John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. Snyder’s rights extended to June 30, 1966. Just enough time. He set me to the task of making The Hobbit into a feature-length animated movie.

After reading the book, I caught the fever, and intensively began working up a screenplay. My dear old friend Bill Bernal, the same man who led me to UPA, and who later joined me at The Jam Handy Organization, flew to Prague to collaborate. The great sweep of the adventure, the fabled landscapes, and the treasury of fantasy characters, made the story a natural for animation. Although the first book of the later trilogy, The Lord of The Rings, was published in 1954, we did yet not know of it. The Tolkien craze was still a few years in the future. Snyder had happened onto something of major value, and he had gotten the rights for peanuts!

We were well into the Hobbit screenplay when The Lord of The Rings came out in paperback editions. Having assumed there was only The Hobbit to contend with, and following Snyder’s wish, we had taken some liberties with the story that a few years later would be grounds for burning at the stake. For example, I had introduced a series of songs, changed some of the characters’ names, played loosely with the plot, and even created a girl character, a Princess no less, to go along on the quest, and to eventually overcome Bilbo Baggins’ bachelorhood! I could Hollywoodize as well as the next man…

When I did manage to get and read “THE LORD OF THE RINGS,” I realized I was dealing with something far more magnificent than what appeared in THE HOBBIT alone, and I then back-spaced elements from The Lord into my script so as to logically allow for a sequel. First Bill Bernal, and then I worked on the script for most of a year.
Actually, I kind of like the thing ( I downloaded it off You Tube as these things have a habit of disappearing when somebody starts screaming about copyright)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Slag?!

Was just about to link this but Boromir and davem beat me to it!

Nicely narrated, it reminded me of Jackanory back in the day, illustrations but no animation

On the other hand, not entirely up to scratch on the canonicity front. They took the canon, melted it down, painted it purple with yellow spots and recycled it into coke cans then fired them by rocket into the rings of Saturn. Only the odd trace of preciousssss metal remains!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
It actually reminds me of if The Hobbit book had a love child with the Shrek movies.

(In a quirky way, I enjoyed it too davem )
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have a soft spot for the 'hippy-trippy' aspect of Tolkien fandom that grew up around the book in the '60's. I know Tolkien was fairly sniffy about it, but tbh it appeals more to me than much of the deadly dull Tolkien Studies stuff.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
I just watched it and my brain melted a little.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Whoa, General Oakenshield and the Tower of Gandalf! And lol @ Bilbo's hair and the Desolation of Slag.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

And people complaon about Peter Jackson's adaptions.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Erestor
Pile O'Bones

Erestor has just left Hobbiton.
What did I just watch? I still can't believe this actually exists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalaliath View Post
And people complaon about Peter Jackson's adaptions.
It still deserves each one of those complaints.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erestor View Post
What did I just watch? I still can't believe this actually exists

It still deserves each one of those complaints.
Yes, but this one takes the cake.