The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
New Harper Collins Tolkien site

Check this out - http://www.tolkien.co.uk/features/Pa...R-Tolkien.aspx
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
davem, the link seems to be broken.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Worked for me yesterday, works for me even today. Nice one.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Indeed nice link, davem!

Does anyone know where the drawing of the blue wizards at the top of the page comes from? I really like it.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It's working fine today. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
There's even a forum there for discussing Tolkien.

I wonder, do any Downers post there (incognito of course ) or is it just for book trade types?
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Are those of you on the other side of the pond (in North America & North North America ) able to watch the video on the page I linked to? This is a very important film, made back in 1992, & only available on VHS for a few years - it contains clips of Tolkien himself, interviews with Tom Shippey, Verlyn Flieger & Quene Margrethe of Denmark, but most significantly a long interview with Christopher discussing his father's work in great detail. If not, the direct link for it on You Tube is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCqd9...layer_embedded
Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Thanks for that link, davem! The video is wonderful - I don't think I'd ever tire of hearing Chris talk about his father's work (just have to love that occasional hint of a quirky smile at the edges of his mouth!). What I found especially insightful up to now (I'm only about halfway through watching it) was the part about The Machine vs Art as the central theme of LotR - I guess we're all aware of that by now, but it's nice to hear it put so succinctly and have the public reminded that LotR isn't just a source for fantasy roleplaying and movie merchandise, but a work of literature written by a contemporary of Rilke and Heidegger, treating in mythological form much of the same issues that were on the mind of the great modern critics of modernity.

As for the site itself, was anybody else amused by seeing People of Middle-Earth and other parts of HoME grouped under 'Non-fiction'?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Does anyone know where the drawing of the blue wizards at the top of the page comes from? I really like it.
It gives a different picture every time you refresh the page... but I have found it eventually, and I don't know it - never seen it. All the other pictures, however, as far as I have been able to see, are by Ted Nasmith. So it might be assumed that this one is as well.

And I must say, the video is really interesting. I am watching it one part at a time, but it is wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
What I found especially insightful up to now (I'm only about halfway through watching it) was the part about The Machine vs Art as the central theme of LotR - I guess we're all aware of that by now, but it's nice to hear it put so succinctly and have the public reminded that LotR isn't just a source for fantasy roleplaying and movie merchandise, but a work of literature written by a contemporary of Rilke and Heidegger, treating in mythological form much of the same issues that were on the mind of the great modern critics of modernity.
Indeed. Something just brilliant.

Quote:
As for the site itself, was anybody else amused by seeing People of Middle-Earth and other parts of HoME grouped under 'Non-fiction'?
Actually haven't noticed that originally. !!!

...well, why the surprise?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 04-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

I have that documentary on the original VHS release & I know that many fans have been desperate for it to be made available for a long time. I wish it could be released on DVD (though I know it would be possible for anyone with a VHS machine & a DVD recorder to make their own DVD copy - not that I would ever advocate such an act......) I'm assuming that it is on You Tube legally - otherwise Harper Collins wouldn't have linked to it, so hopefully it will be made available on DVD soon.

Christopher's comments on the Machine are very interesting - love the 'train' annecdote -(as are his later thoughts on why his father was unable to bring The Silmarillion to completion). Overall its a lovely film, with lots of thought provoking & insightful stuff - not to mention the chance to see Tolkien's remaining children (Michael was dead by the time this was made) reminiscing about their father. Now, if only the BBC documentary 'Tolkien in Oxford' (from which the clips of the man himself included in this film were taken) could also be made available....
Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Just finished watching the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Christopher's comments on the Machine are very interesting - love the 'train' annecdote -(as are his later thoughts on why his father was unable to bring The Silmarillion to completion).
Yep, that anecdote was very nice - the White Horse and the Railway, isn't that in a way the whole of LotR in nuce? Also the bit about JRRT realizing that we have to live in this world as it is, e.g. his interest for and use of the tape recorder (made me wonder what he'd think of our activities on the Internet nowadays...).
More highlights: definitely the interviews with Shippey and Flieger, esp. Shippey tearing snobbish academic criticism of Tolkien to bits: "You just can't do that" - yay! And Queen Margarete outing herself as a first generation Tolkien fangirl is absolutely charming, with an illustration of the Scouring of the Shire by her that's spot on to how I'd imagined it.
Not to forget, that clip of an interview with JRRT himself where he quotes Simone de Beauvoir, of all people, to illustrate the importance of death as a theme in LotR. Absolutely the first name you'd have associated with him, isn't it? Shows that the range of his mind was much broader than is commonly imagined.
Everybody who hasn't seen that video yet, go watch it!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thanks for the tip Legate, just googled "Nasmith Blue" and I found the original, very nice one indeed.

Here's the link: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/...eying_East.jpg
Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #13
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Thanks for the tip Legate, just googled "Nasmith Blue" and I found the original, very nice one indeed.

Here's the link: http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/...eying_East.jpg
And thanks to you for looking for it *saves*
It's really beautiful, isn't it? I wonder what the location was supposed to be, if anything. That looks just so cool (thinking about the implications also, after all, we really don't know basically anything about these guys...)
Old 04-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #14
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, if the picture is meant to be based on the books, then the location must be somewhere in the far east of Middle-earth, because there is no Saruman in there, meaning it shows the Blue Wizards after Saruman departed and returned to the west. Who knows, some old forgotten mountain chain in the east, maybe where the fell beasts came from?!

I must agree, I also like it because of the mystery surrounding their mission and its outcome, we really don't know anything.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
garm
Pile O'Bones

garm has just left Hobbiton.
I agree with all that has been said about the film - I bought a copy on VHS when it came out, and it's a treat to watch.

The Blue Wizards picture is featured on the cover of the catalogue of ADC books (ADC being Ted's agent). I'm scratching my head; I've had the pleasure of seeing most of Ted's original works 'in the flesh' as it were, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen this one - yet! I wonder whether it'll feature at his exhibition at Moreton-in Marsh later this year?
garm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
davem
Illustrious Ulair

The Blue Wizards picture is on the cover of the new Harper Collins paperback of Unfinished Tales, & is the March picture on the 2010 Tolkien Calendar. I love the landscape but, as with most of Ted's work, I don't like the figures - why are they both dressed exactly alike, & both in silly pointy hats? The only wizard referred to in Tolkien's work with a pointy hat is Gandalf, & I think its best assumed that's a bit of eccentricity on his part (actually, I think Tolkien just lazily adopted a standard fairy tale trope when he created the character for The Hobbit, & continued on with it when he came to write the 'sequel' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy...nd_conventions.