The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Sting Admin thread for WW XXXIX: Do Werebalrogs have wings?

"Experimenting with Elves and Balrogs, Melkor has discovered a new, terrible race: werebalrogs."

Welcome to Tol-in-Gaurhoth XXXIX: Do Werebalrogs have wings?. A part of the Gondolin mining community is suffering from an uncomfortable balrog problem. Melkor has sent his minions to the mines of Gondolin, hoping them to infiltrate into the miner society and gain some information on the city's defences. In secret, a few celebrities from the city come to the mines in order to investigate the problem. The balrogs decide to change their tactics. The slaughter begins.

Roles
3 werebalrogs
cobbler
seer
ranger
hunter
lovers
some ordinary villagers

I'd like to have at least 15 players. If the player count rises high, we can add an extra balrog.

Miscellanous rules
- non-retractable votes (this can be discussed, though)
- no double (or triple or quadrupule or whatever... ) lynches. The first one to reach the highest vote count will be lynched.
- the deadline can be anything between 3-8 pm GMT. The ideal deadline for me would be 7pm GMT, but I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject.

Players

Legate of Amon Lanc
Shastanis Althreduin
Gil-Galad
Volo

Brinniel
The Might
Kath
Naria
Macalaure
satansaloser2005
Nerwen

Rikae
Mithalwen
Nogrod
Lhunaradwen

Sign-ups, verifications of sign-ups, discussion concerning the deadline and questions of all kind are most welcome now.

Last edited by Thinlómien; 11-10-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Looks like a good "classic" indeed. The only thing that one can hope for is that we gather enough players. Concerning the deadline, 7 pm GMT would be a great time for me.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You can take that question mark off my name. I definitely want to be in this game.

I really do hope we can get 15+ players. It's been ages since we've had a large game and I miss them...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Confirmatory.

I don't think I'll roleplay much this time; it gets me in trouble.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
We'll need to get into the bottom of this question of (were)Balrog's having wings indeed! I'm in for finding it out. And I have been waiting for this Lommy's game for a long while.

But... and sadly this is a big BUT...

I'm going to be in Santiago de Cuba (right next to Guantanamo province) during 17.11.-25.11. where the choir I'm in will attend an international choir festival. I've been told that there are net cafés in Santiago and that the hotel might have one as well. But that's unsure and it's also unsure how much time I would have to play if the game is on during the time mentioned above.

So if we aim for a large game and there's not a tremendous hype bringing in players five per day I could be in. Also there's the Thanksgiving -holidays in the States and the possible need for a pause there. That might help my participation as well.

So the questionmark should be left there for a while.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So if we aim for a large game and there's not a tremendous hype bringing in players five per day I could be in. Also there's the Thanksgiving -holidays in the States and the possible need for a pause there.
Yeah, Thanksgiving would need a pause...at least if there are enough Americans in this game. I'm going home for the holidays from the 21-25. If we didn't pause then, I could still play as I will have internet access, but I would be absent for most of the 21, 22, and 25.

Anyways, I do hope you'll be able to find a way to join us, Nogrod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
the deadline can be anything between 3-8 pm GMT. The ideal deadline for me would be 7pm GMT, but I'd like to hear your opinions on the subject.
Well, let's see...that would be between 10am-3pm EST. Since the deadline will be during the daytime for me, it'll be hard to be there everday when the Day ends with the class schedule I have. A 4pm, or even 5pm GMT deadline would be most ideal for my schedule since it is for the most part, before all my classes. I can work with other times, but I might have to leave an hour or two early before deadline on some days.

A question: Will we be choosing roles to play for this game, or do we just go in as ourselves?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The Eye

Ok, I've had enough of watching this strange game take all away from the good old trivia matches, so I've decided to join and see for myself what this WW thing is about.

Now, I really am a n00b at this, so it would really be nice if someone could explain the rules of the game in general, or post a link to information.

Not sure what this deadline thing is, maybe the time by which you have to have posted. If this is case, then 7pm GMT is also great for me.

EDIT: btw, what's a cobbler?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Don't worry, Brinn. I'm also an American, so you're not alone.

And I think I can bring Isabell back, bringing the grand total to three!
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
*points up* Hooray, Miggy is playing!

...you will die by a terrible painful death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy
Now, I really am a n00b at this, so it would really be nice if someone could explain the rules of the game in general, or post a link to information.

Not sure what this deadline thing is, maybe the time by which you have to have posted. If this is case, then 7pm GMT is also great for me.

EDIT: btw, what's a cobbler?
I suggest you look at some older thread where the rules are explained more in detail... maybe at the beginning of the normal WW thread - the one called just "Tol-in-Gaurhoth (Isle of the Werewolves)". Not everything is there, though.

The cobbler is a person who is in every aspect a normal villager, except that he wants the baddies to win, even if it were to cost his life. He does not know who the baddies are, though, so he has to try to find out who they are and help them the best he can (either by providing cover, or just wreaking havoc all around the place, or at least by getting himself lynched instead of one of them).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
OK, I'm giving in and signing up. Who needs a good degree anyway?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #11
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

As promised, I will join in your game Lommy! Oh, and I'll vote for 3pm.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #12
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
OK, I'm giving in and signing up. Who needs a good degree anyway?
We do, Kath dear! Don't give in!

Oh fine, I might as well make it a start-of-term tradition. Please put me down with a question mark. I hate you, Lommy.

Wait - cobbler AND lovers? Ooof, tough game.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Welcome, TM, Kath, Naria and Lhuna! Great to see you here.

Looks very promising this far!

I have some hopes of actually gathering enough players for a bit bigger game. Yay! (But don't worry, even if there was enough people willing to play, this will not become a megalomanic Dueling Wizards -type of game, I don't want more than 20 or 21 players, 15-18 would be ideal... We'll see.)

TM - I'm going to explain all the rules in post but I'm not sure when I will write it (I might do it just before the start of the game) so if you want to be clear on these things before that, I suggest you check the Tol-in-Gaurhoth -thread (just like Legate said).

Lhuna - I know. If I hadn't already decided to give out the roles randomly, I'd make you a lover just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So if we aim for a large game and there's not a tremendous hype bringing in players five per day I could be in. Also there's the Thanksgiving -holidays in the States and the possible need for a pause there. That might help my participation as well.
We'll see how this goes. I hope you get to play - I could assign you some very nasty role! A pity I decided to give them out randomly...
Old 11-06-2007, 04:02 AM   #14
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
This looks very promising, indeed.

May I join, too?
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 AM   #15
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Yes, not a very large population, please! I think merely joining will drive me crazy enough. Too bad you didn't decide to do this before my term starts, Lommy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy the Moddess Goddess
Lhuna - I know. If I hadn't already decided to give out the roles randomly, I'd make you a lover just for fun.
You know you want to... And with Kath joining? *evil laughter*

Maybe I should stop this, or Kath might push to have me lynched on Day 1, just to be sure.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #16
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I know, Lhuna. I can't believe I joined another Lover's game after my track record in them, and now you're in it I know I'm going to lose whatever team I'm on!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:16 AM   #17
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
A pity I decided to give them out randomly...
Comment:Liar.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #18
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
bah why didn't i have this many people in my game!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Sorry Gil, I would have joined yours but I didn't have the time when yours was on. All my lectures bar two finish this week so I have much more free time as of Wednesday!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
May I join, too?
Maybe you may, as I seem to have forgotten to add the anti-Macalaure rule banning all people named Macalaure from joining the game... Of course you can! I'm glad to have you in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Comment:Liar.
I confess - I have given myself a veto-right if the teams start to look too unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinn
A question: Will we be choosing roles to play for this game, or do we just go in as ourselves?
I have not decided yet, probably not. I will inform you as soon as I know.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #21
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
I confess - I have given myself a veto-right if the teams start to look too unfair.
Of course. Everyone does that. Sometimes even when the teams do not look unfair, but because he thinks that there could be some more interesting teams generated "randomly" if the random choice is made enough times...

One question - are the lovers going to be a wolf and an ordo, or is there something more sinister to come, like a cobbler lover together with a hunter, or am I supposed not to ask this question at all?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #22
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
One question - are the lovers going to be a wolf and an ordo, or is there something more sinister to come, like a cobbler lover together with a hunter, or am I supposed not to ask this question at all?
Well, you can ask but I'm not going to answer...

Yes, I'm going to remain mysterious about the lovers... you'll see sooner or later.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:18 PM   #23
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Well, you can ask but I'm not going to answer...

Yes, I'm going to remain mysterious about the lovers... you'll see sooner or later.
Why am I not surprised...

*walks away, thinking of a village full of lovers*
Old 11-06-2007, 02:24 PM   #24
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Why am I not surprised...

*walks away, thinking of a village full of lovers*
Pity I repped you a minute ago...
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #25
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I can't find the thread you're talking about.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #26
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
I can't find the thread you're talking about.
It's on the first page here in the Mirth, currently among the topmost four. On the first post (and the first pages), there is some information about the game in general.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #27
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm in!

How long do games normally last on here though? I, too, have a break for Thanksgiving and may be cut off from Internet for several days. Then again, I'm new so I might not last long anyway. But I'll do my best!

Last edited by satansaloser2005; 11-06-2007 at 04:42 PM.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #28
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Lommy, with this rate of sign up the game could start pretty soon. For all these unhelpful Americans could we maybe have a few days break if the game isn't finished by then?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #29
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
"Experimenting with Elves and Balrogs, Melkor has discovered a new, terrible race: werebalrogs."

Roles
3 werebalrogs
cobbler
seer
ranger
hunter
lovers
some ordinary villagers

Sign-ups, verifications of sign-ups, discussion concerning the deadline and questions of all kind are most welcome now.

I've played regular mafia before, but can someone explain to me what the extra roles are? The cobbler is basically a citizen/villager who is a terrorist acting on the side of the werewolves, but what are ranger, hunter, and lover? I had them explained to me briefly but I want to make sure I understand properly. Thanks!

--an unhelpful american--
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #30
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'd love to play, but depending on when you start, I may be too busy. Can you put me on the list with a question mark?
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #31
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I know the possibility of you heeding me is right about nil, Lommy, but I'm going to advise you anyway against teaming up a wolf and an ordo as Lovers and letting us know. If we're going to have only three wolves, you might as well kill the werewolf-lover on Night 1. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

~a pseudohelpful non-American

P.S. When's Thanksgiving, by the way?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #32
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
...by the way, I'm a helpful American who thinks that Thanksgiving (otherwise known as November 22 this year) is a great day for werewolf.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:07 AM   #33
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005
I've played regular mafia before, but can someone explain to me what the extra roles are? The cobbler is basically a citizen/villager who is a terrorist acting on the side of the werewolves, but what are ranger, hunter, and lover? I had them explained to me briefly but I want to make sure I understand properly. Thanks!
A ranger chooses a player to protect each Night. If the wolves (or balrogs in this case) attack that player, he/she will not be killed. It depends on the mod's rules, but usually a ranger cannot protect someone two nights in a row.

A hunter must every Night choose someone they find suspicious and want to hunt. In the case that the hunter is killed, he/she has the opportunity of taking down a wolf. Again, this role varies each game, so certain details will depend on the mod.

The lovers are two players who are bound to one another. If one dies, so does the other. The lovers can be both good, or both bad, or one of each. There's no doubt saying lovers can really complicate things (especially in a situation in where you don't even know who your lover is, lol...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Ok, I've had enough of watching this strange game take all away from the good old trivia matches, so I've decided to join and see for myself what this WW thing is about.
Welcome to WW!

It's been awhile since we've had any newbies, so it's nice to see some new faces. Anyways, don't worry if you go into this game confused and clueless to what's going on. That's how I started out with Mac's game. You'll pick it up and understand the game better as you play. I recall, I couldn't even figure out what the cobbler was until after my first game was complete.

Oh, here's a link to the thread that everyone's been referring to.

~an unhelpful American who's suddenly craving pumpkin pie with all this Thanksgiving talk~
Old 11-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #34
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Welcome, Rikae and Sally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally
How long do games normally last on here though?
It depends... One day or night phase lasts 24h so it varies quite a lot from just a few days from about two weeks or something like that. I think an average game takes a week or a bit more, but that's just a guess, not a fact.

Quote:
Lommy, with this rate of sign up the game could start pretty soon. For all these unhelpful Americans could we maybe have a few days break if the game isn't finished by then?
Yes, we might. Could all unhelpful Americans specify on which days they are unable to participate?

Currently, we have 14 players, including the unsure players. I'd like to have a few more, but with this rate of signing up that does not seem to be a problem. (Besides, I can always PM some people...)
Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM   #35
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Firstly Kath, thanks a lot for the PM, that cleared things for me.

But what if say a seer was a lover and the other lover was a wolf, would he try to expose the other wolves and say a normal villager is a wolf to save the lover, or wuld rather do what he's supposed to?

Plus, how can you make sure that nobody else except wolves uses PM?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #36
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Plus, how can you make sure that nobody else except wolves uses PM?
In no way.

That's an issue of trust and sportsmanship. And who would want to play cheating? What's the fun of it?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #37
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Oh okay. So basically ranger=doctor, hunter=bounty hunter, and lover=....well I haven't seen that one before but I get it now. Thanks Brinn!
Old 11-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #38
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
But what if say a seer was a lover and the other lover was a wolf, would he try to expose the other wolves and say a normal villager is a wolf to save the lover, or wuld rather do what he's supposed to?
Well, that would be up to him to decide... although I'd wonder what the mod was thinking in the first place when s/he paired them up together...
It all depends on what winning conditions the mod has given to the different roles (for example, are the lovers a separate team or are they on the village's or on the wolves' side or if there's some mixture of these).
Old 11-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #39
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

The Might - the combination of lover wolf and lover Seer is, well it's unlikely, but if it happened we'd just play along none the wiser until, most likely, everyone else dies and they win! You don't always know all the rules and possibilities in this game, that's part of the fun!

As for PMing, well no you can't be sure that no one else is doing it, but there is a rule that no ordinary villager PMs another with anything game/role related while the game is running. Just as you'd follow the rule that says no one can post on the thread during the Night phase, so you follow that rule.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #40
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Another thing, what about these phases?
Does the night start after the deadline and lasts 12 hours?