The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2003, 04:49 PM   #41
Samwise Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Samwise Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Samwise Gamgee Send a message via AIM to Samwise Gamgee
Sting

I think what you have to understand about Sam is that he is emotional, and not very cerebral. HE loves with all his heart, but he hates with all his heart also. He was mean to gollum, but not a big bully. His whole heart, his whole being, really, was wrapped up in concern for Frodo during the quest. Gollum was quite plainly a threat to Frodo's well-being. Frodo can accept Gollum, because he understands the ring. I think it is also important to note that after he wore the ring, Sam also had pity on Gollum. He had it fully in his power to kill Gollum, and Gollum had proved himself utterly faithless and wicked, yet Sam did not kill him. Sam was mean to Aragorn, because he did not trust him, and Aragorn rather than rebuking Sam, told him (I'm paraphrasing) "you were right to misdoubt me." Sam had to accept Aragorn on faith, (and his master's bidding) but he never let down his guard. He said much more that was undeserved to Aragorn than to Smeagol, but Smeagol WAS bad so he turned out bad. There was the instance in Cirith Ungol, but that was a fluke for Gollum. Remember that the last time Sam saw Gollum "pawing at his master" had been before the gates of Mordor, where he was clearly meaning to take the ring from him during his internal debate. The last thing I would point out is that Sam had pity on Gollum in the end without a long inspirational speech from Gandalf, and a REALLY long time of ring ownership - so how can we say that he was any worse than Frodo. (ie: imagine if frodo met gollum at the time of "Shadow of the Past."
Old 07-24-2003, 04:56 PM   #42
Maluriel
Pile O'Bones

Maluriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"We is nice to master!" "We hates the fat hobbt, we hates it"

Yes I definetly thinks so, undeniably. Without Sam though, although I believe he was his downfall because Frodo may have made him a good person,
Code:
 he wouldn't have gone after the ring and thus ended its reign. He was like Judas.
Maluriel, Varya Quendelion
Old 07-24-2003, 05:32 PM   #43
Samwise Gamgee
Haunting Spirit

Samwise Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Samwise Gamgee Send a message via AIM to Samwise Gamgee
Sting

I don't mean to ever imply that gollum was purely evil, but the evil WAS much stronger than the good.

Also to clarify, I also think when gollum petted Frodo at Cirith Ungol it was out of affection, what I meant was that it was right for Sam to suspect him of evil intentions, because before the gates of Mordor, he watched gollum debating and gollums hands moving toward frodo to take the ring away (at which point Sam yawned and sat up, so Smeagol would stop, and not realize he had been watched.)
Old 07-24-2003, 07:52 PM   #44
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

If you put it that way, Master Samwise, I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I had forgotten that Sam had treated Aragorn in the same aweful fashion. So I guess that Sam really wasn't the driving force to Smeagol turning back into Gollum, but maybe he was the dertermining factor, like the straw that broke the camel's back?

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:17 AM   #45
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

I have to concur with that opinion. It was utterly beyond Sam's power to make Sméagol into Gollum, but his quite natural suspicion and distaste for him certainly tipped the balance at that critical moment. I usually bear in mind the road that Sméagol had travelled before Frodo and Sam met him. Sam knew about many of his actions and suspected a great deal more. He had overheard the conversation in which Gandalf said
Quote:
The Wood-elves tracked him first, an easy task for them, for his trail was still fresh then. Through Mirkwood and back again it led them, though they never caught him. The wood was full of the rumour of him, dreadful tales even among beasts and birds. The Woodmen said that there was some new terror abroad, a ghost that drank blood. It climbed trees to find nests; it crept into holes to find the young; it slipped through windows to find cradles.
Sam may not have understood much of what Gandalf said about the tragedy of Gollum's position, but he would have understood the dark hint about some of the things that he was prepared to eat. Very few people find it easy to love or forgive those who prey on children, and Sam is not very good at hiding his feelings.

Perhaps Sam's motivations can be better understood if we consider this passage from Tolkien's essay On Fairy-Stories. He refers (as does G.K. Chesterton, whom he quotes) to children; but the pivotal factor is innocence, which is a natural Hobbit quality that Sam possesses in great measure:
Quote:
Chesterton once remarked that the children in whose company he he saw Maeterlinck's Blue Bird were dissatisfied 'because it did not end with a Day of Judgement, and it was not revealed to the hero and the heroine that the Dog had been faithful and the Cat faithless', 'For children,'he says 'are innocent and love justice; while most of us are wicked and naturally prefer mercy.'
To put this into the context of the story, Frodo has experienced the power and temptation of the Ring, and so wants to be merciful; but Sam has not, and desires 'justice'. 'Justice', in this case, being that the 'wicked creature' should not enjoy such complete trust as he, who has earned it. I have no doubt that his suspicion is tempered by jealousy, but it is the jealousy of one who has earned a position of trust and sees another apparently granted the same privilege without being required to earn it. He cannot see the difference between Frodo's patience and understanding with Sméagol and his utter faith in his devoted servant. Once he has experienced for himself the corrupting influence of the Ring, however, he comes to understanding, tragically too late.
Quote:
He himself, though only for a little while, had borne the Ring, and now dimly he guessed the agony of Gollum's shrivelled mind and body, enslaved to that Ring, unable to find peace or relief ever in life again. But Sam had no words to express what he felt.
I find it interesting to consider Sam and Gollum as opposing aspects of Frodo's personality: the uncorrupted Hobbitry of Sam versus the often unwilling corruption of Sméagol. Frodo shows aspects of both personalities during the Ring-quest, and he is always cast in the role of mediator between them. I'm curious to know what others think about this.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:45 AM   #46
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Bravo, Squatter of Amon Rudh! You explained it perfectly! I think that you are right that Frodo had both aspects in his personality. That would naturally happen because of the Ring, I think.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote