The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #1401
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

I can't wait for Volume 5 now!
Old 11-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #1402
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Not that it makes a lot of difference...

Here is the News. Coming to you every hour upon the hour. Here is the News. The Weather's fine but there may be a meteor shower. And so on...

The EPIC adventures of The Phantom and Alien continue...

Comic Archive

Also, I'm thinking of putting P&A up three times a week. I'm really excited about volume 3 and sort of want to get there soon. Are you happy with it as it is or do you want MORE?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #1403
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Dear Sirs,

I must make my disdain and contempt as clear as possible, in words that are succinct and sentences devoid of superfluity. No beating around the bush, no long-winded rhetoric, no clarion calls of urbane loquacity. I will endeavor, without ambiguity, to speak my mind and lay bare the fundamental flaws I find apparent, and convey to the reading public at-large the depths of disgust I now feel. When I am finished, it will be crystal clear to any sentient soul the truth of the matter, and, impassioned by my cutting invective, they shall rise up and cry aloud in unison "No more!"

I hope you can discern the lengths to which I have attempted to show restraint in this matter. I am not merely interested in reiterating the usual editorial prattle; rather, I am only concerned with bringing to light a perceived problem, and attempt to change preconceived notions for the betterment of all concerned. It is my sincere wish that what I have humbly offered is a point at which fruitful discussion can progess, and we can at last all reach the sort of rapprochement that any enlightened society yearns for.

Kindly but firm regards,
Palaver Balder-Malarkey
TEAM Leader
Tenebrous, Equivocal & Abstruse Motivational Speakers, Inc.

Last edited by Morthoron; 12-01-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #1404
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles left to wonder...

Quote:
Also, I'm thinking of putting P&A up three times a week. I'm really excited about volume 3 and sort of want to get there soon. Are you happy with it as it is or do you want MORE?
Of course I want more P & A....you've made me quite curious.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #1405
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh my gosh...that may be the best front-page picture since you captured Smaug wailin' on his axe...

It's also the second-best closing P&A panel ever. XD

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #1406
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
By-products of God-like Chocolate.

Now that I have been eaten, I find that I have assumed a different form. The good point to this is that no-one else will eat me (I think).........
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #1407
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Oh, but the last picture of this comic I really like. Alien looks cute again
You should see what he looks like in volume 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Newalien.JPG (2.6 KB, 291 views)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #1408
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Why would Phantom wear a tie in the third volume? Alien looks really darling in the first panel, while eating cake. We wantsss to give Alien cakesesss, precious!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #1409
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The pictures in this addition really cracked me up, Hookbill! I just love the way you did that Sauron Eye Pie, and Groin Breadbeard. I'm glad that he's shown up again.

As to your suggestion about Phantom & Alien three times a week, I say go for it, the public is getting barely enough as it is!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #1410
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
EDITORIAL REPLY

Dear Sirs,

Regarding my editorial reply of 11-30-08, it would seem I made a slight error in my letter to you, in that I mistakenly forgot to include the actual issue I was complaining about, as well as the solution to the problem. Such an egregious error of omission is obviously quite embarrassing, particularly since the grave issue I was considering, and the solution I wished to implement, was and is extremely crucial to our society; in fact, it is the crux of all the world's problems, and possibly life itself as we know it.

Rest assured, such an error will not occur again.

Sincerely,
Palaver Balder-Malarkey
TEAM Leader
Tenebrous, Equivocal & Abstruse Motivational Speakers, Inc.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #1411
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
You should see what he looks like in volume 3
Cuute, says I!

And as for more of P&A per week... if you wish, I'd be all for that!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #1412
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Moar P And A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Hook)Bill, I say, you have rabid fans now! Aren't you happy!?
Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #1413
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Well, if the people want insanity, who am I to deny it them?
The Phantom and Alien are moving to a warmer and more comfortable Monday, Wednesday and Friday slot. Hope you're all happy...

See you on Friday...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #1414
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nice. Very nice. Alien really looks so cute.

Say, how did Alien manage to get a gun (at least, it seems like it)? And why is the smoke greenish?

Legal Madness.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #1415
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Say, how did Alien manage to get a gun
Oh my, I first read this "how did Alien manga get to run"

Now that's for some artist of the eastern province... but probably that was what I subconsciously thought, that you had in plan to start something like that
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 12-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #1416
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fantastic Hookbill! I love the evil look in Alien's eyes when he decide to break the spout.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #1417
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

"Green idiot"? Hahahaha.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #1418
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles go swimming...

Quote:
Say, how did Alien manage to get a gun (at least, it seems like it)?
.....The Mystery Box perhaps? It wasn't me, I promise, though I do love swimming....
Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #1419
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Say, how did Alien manage to get a gun (at least, it seems like it)
You don't want to know.

The 'smoke' is supposed to be a little 'bang' from the shotgun. I FAIL at drawing.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #1420
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Are the episodes connected together? Because if they are, then I don't get it...
Old 12-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #1421
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Are the episodes connected together? Because if they are, then I don't get it...
... I hope this is a joke...

It's supposed to be a GIANT story-ark. If you go on to THE WEBSITE and click on Volume 2, then you'll see where it began and hopefully be able to follow it more easily.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #1422
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up Friday means Phantom and Alien time!!

Well, this was the first week of three phalians. Are you all happy with this arrangement? I can put it back if you feel it's too much...

MISSED AN EPISODE? CATCH IT AGAIN ON... Um... P&A PLAYER?

Just to let you know, Volume Three is looking four hundred times as EPIC as this one.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #1423
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Well, this was the first week of three phalians. Are you all happy with this arrangement? I can put it back if you feel it's too much...
The question is: do you feel its too much? After all it's you doing all the work to entertain us.

I love this episode, so typically Alien. But how did he get out of the underground hideout? Is that a typical Alien gag, making the trouble for others and miraculously escaping so that others have to clean up the mess?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #1424
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
The question is: do you feel its too much? After all it's you doing all the work to entertain us.
Well, it's no extra work for me, really. All 100 episodes are already made. Which is why I'm already starting on Volume 3. I'm just worried some who only check the page once a week will get left behind or something.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #1425
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
That still doesn't explain why you tied yourself to a pole.
That is the best closing panel ever! Alien is so clueless! He doesn't actually think that lal would tie herself to a pole, does he?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #1426
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
That is the best closing panel ever! Alien is so clueless! He doesn't actually think that lal would tie herself to a pole, does he?
It's difficult to know what, if anything, is going through Alien's mind.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #1427
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*points up to TGEW's post* Quoting Alien... now that's... wow.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #1428
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
It's difficult to know what, if anything, is going through Alien's mind.
Well, for us fans anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
*points up to TGEW's post* Quoting Alien... now that's... wow.

Well, thank you! But is it really suprising that I would quote Alien?
Old 12-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #1429
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Well, for us fans anyway...
Well, thank you! But is it really suprising that I would quote Alien?
Of course not as much And I quite support that.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #1430
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Get Grandma' off the roof, call in your dogs, beat out a tune on your favorite radiator and eat a pile of baked beans; it's NEWS TIME!

The Phantom and The Hoody-Cloaky Group escape from Alien's flood. But one of them is missing...

Comic Archive

Tune in on Wednesday for the next episode! Keep up by looking through the comic archive. Actually, as the series progresses, the archive will be very useful in noticing all the odd back references and plot points.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #1431
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Titles kick the bucket

Quote:
Gun turns out to be a bucket
Buckets can be quite deadly you know...with people kicking them all the time.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #1432
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai View Post
Buckets can be quite deadly you know...with people kicking them all the time.
Yes...very deadly. And easily mixed up. Very easily.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #1433
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Laurinquë sometimes mangles old people for fun.
It seems I'm following in Alien's footsteps (or slime trail). Wouldn't he be proud!
That's great Hookbill!

Last edited by Laurinquë; 12-08-2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Spelling...
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #1434
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

A 'scary' man is spotted and the public is 'disgusted'. How nice.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:22 AM   #1435
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
It seems I'm following in Alien's footsteps (or slime trail). Wouldn't he be proud!
That's great Hookbill!
Aren't you glad you're in the Downer, Laurinque? And following in Alien's 'slime trail' too!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #1436
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
A 'scary' man is spotted and the public is 'disgusted'. How nice.
How would you feel if you knew the government was letting scary people wander around the streets?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 AM   #1437
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
How would you feel if you knew the government was letting scary people wander around the streets?
Erm, I'd be frightened.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM   #1438
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Dear Editor,

It has finally been forcefully brought to my attention by four and twenty blackbirds singing in my ear that a certain issue of the Downer has scandalously and scurrilously misused berries in a Sauron pie.

Sauron obviously would have a steak and kidney pie, being so full of blood thirsty aggression.

What culinary error will we see next? Mount Doom full of exploding cheese?

As for that mutant piano that is stalking TP, I think rather than attacking the victim with claims of mental illness--a common device of journalism of whatever colour--davem or lal of the Yard needs to interview Estelyn Telcontar. I've heard that she can make those keys fly.

Bethberry Bombadil,
author of La Politesse des Berries, Take a Gander at Gooseberries, and four and twenty other books on anti-oxidant living

Last edited by Bęthberry; 12-09-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #1439
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I had forgotten to take a look at all the other episodes in volume 2 (silly me) so I didn't really get it, thought it was a bit strange.

So now I looked at all of them in order and am looking forward to the next episode.

Btw, the way Phantom receives mission reminds me of the GTA series.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #1440
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ring

I'm a bit worried by the exhortation to eat piles of baked beans. If we all do that then the results don't bear thinking about