The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #1161
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Urm... I did think about it, but the story line seems to have rendered that impossible. Maybe in volume 3...
A pity. And I secretly thought that he might have been the one who's behind all this...

Quote:
I do often wonder where Morsul the Dark (the Downer) has gone to and whether he finds his appearance in P&A insulting.
Obviously. That's the reason why he's no longer around.

Or maybe a milder interpretation: the strange space-time continuum of the comic strip just sucked him inside and therefore he exists only in there and no longer in RL.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:36 AM   #1162
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Obviously. That's the reason why he's no longer around.

Or maybe a milder interpretation: the strange space-time continuum of the comic strip just sucked him inside and therefore he exists only in there and no longer in RL.
Uh... yes... much milder...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #1163
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
MORSUL'S GOT LEGS!

That's amazing, they are so disproportional to his body, I love them!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #1164
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I'm sure you're all tired of this...

Thanks and a special kind of scurvy go to the phantom for his mini head lines and the second story.

After all this time, it's Alien's turn to annoy everyone as the tale of the Revolting Revelations gets Beeftastic...

Episode 013
Episode 012
Episode 011
Episodes 1-10
Old 09-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #1165
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
wait--chickens in middle earth don't have wings?

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:31 AM   #1166
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Rune's Beef
- It is beeftastic

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #1167
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
That is by far the most disgusting Phantom & Alien episode ever.

~ Save Adoreable Cows! Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #1168
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Rune's Beef
- It is beeftastic
I suggest you get someone, other than alien, to produce your beef.

I love that the story about Nogrod's takeover, he looks mighty annoyed and determined!
Old 09-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #1169
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
he looks mighty annoyed and determined!
I was indeed just about trying to pull a face to Rune when he took the picture but I was a microsecond late so it's just me preparing to pull a face...

And really, I'm following the developement in Finland keenly as well - not being hasty though. Maybe Lommy will not realise what will hit her after she has first organised the BD-governement in Finland. As the Leader of the BD I will soon be the leader of Finland ruled by BD-party as well...

Not a bad beginnings for a career to become a dictator for a website and an EU-country at the same time!

Tremble Canada! Tremble E-Bay!

How sad day for journalism the Downer didn't point that out even if they had both news on their frontpage...
(or were tp & Hookbill just paid by me not to make the connection openly?... well, you'll never know...)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #1170
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Not a bad beginnings for a career to become a dictator for a website and an EU-country at the same time!

Tremble Canada! Tremble E-Bay!
What I want to know is if any of these Finnish maver-- er, refor--er, revolutionaries--can hunt or dress a moose.

Here's how it's done in Canada:

Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #1171
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Ka
That is by far the most disgusting Phantom & Alien episode ever.
Don't worry, Ka, there are worse to come. Funnily enough, the most disgusting ones always involve Alien... Weird that... Let's just say Lal will probably have a nervous breakdown by episode 100 (which I'm about to start drawing... probably tomorrow).

Quote:
How sad day for journalism the Downer didn't point that out even if they had both news on their frontpage...
(or were tp & Hookbill just paid by me not to make the connection openly?... well, you'll never know...)
I only accept payment in the form of oats and stoats. And occasionally groats.

Just to let you know; Thursday's Phantom and Alien will involve the return of a very popular character. Can you guess which one? I'll give you a clue; the title of the episode is 'Dummy part 1'...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #1172
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Avast ye lubber Editor:

Yarrrrr, me hearty! Sumptin' seems amiss in yer study: 'Pirhanas Eventually Grow Weary of all Cat Diet'. It's a whale of a story, no doubtin', but it's fishy nonetheless. But it does me ol' bones good to hear that salty dog Phantom's got hisself thrown in the brig, and well he should, b'gum! 'Tis fair past time that scurvy Gentl'man 'o' the road done got bilged on his own anchor! Now that the cat's out 'o' th' bag (and not in the fish, so to speak), we'll be havin' no more scuttlebutt from one 'o' the scuppered class, and greasy as an eel to boot! Mayhap more of his bilge-suckin' brood will be dancin' the hempin' jig (if ye pardon me parlance, savvy?).

P.S. Begad, ye blaggardly swabs 'o' the Barrow Downs, keep yer presses shipshape and sailin' full speed ahead. For, truth to tell, we use yer paper in the head, so there be no mess on the poopdeck!

Best wishes, matey, and kiss the gunner's daughter,
Cap'n Melville Pequod
HMS 'Enry Morgan
Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #1173
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
As the Leader of the BD I will soon be the leader of Finland ruled by BD-party as well...
The BD party?! Maybe there should be a BD party, that would be an excellent idea: a party devoted to the belief of Tolkien and his Middle-Earth philosophies! No longer will we describe ourselves as Republicans, Liberals, or Communist, I am now a Barrow Downer!

"Ask not what Tolkien can do for you, he's dead give the guy a break, but what you can do for Tolkien!"

Sorry that was and A.D.D moment.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #1174
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #879

Quote:
No longer will we describe ourselves as Republicans, Liberals, or Communist, I am now a Barrow Downer!
Or Downer for short, it seems most parties are one word labels.

When I saw Beeftastic! up there...I nearly posted a link to a YouTube clip...only to realize that the quote I was thinking of was "Meattastic!" Totally different things.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #1175
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Dear Cap'n Melville Pequod,

We have your children. If you do not pay the ransom in thirty three hours we will be forced to feed them to the squid. Besides which, I don't much like your tone of voice. Nor do I fully understand the nature of this 'letter' business.

All the same, I want the money in unmarked gold bars and delivered to the bins outside the local supermarket.

Yours,
Olbert the Tramp.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 AM   #1176
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Here is Thursday's Phantom and Alien. Please use responsibly. May cause some sort of eye disease.

Episode 014
Episode 013
Episode 012
Episode 011
Episodes 1-10
Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 AM   #1177
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

[in a Mary-Sue-ish childish voice]Mr. Hookbill sir, what exactly is the purpose of the dummy?

Legal Madness.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM   #1178
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
[in a Mary-Sue-ish childish voice]Mr. Hookbill sir, what exactly is the purpose of the dummy?
The Phantom is planning to fake his own death. As Olburt has already guessed. The idea was first mentioned here.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #1179
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

For anyone who's interested;

In an attempt to gather all the Phantom and Alien comics together, I created a little website for them. If you've missed an episode or two, I hope this can help you catch up on the all the idiocy of this silly comic.

THE PHANTOM AND ALIEN

I've set myself the challenge of including a photo from Oxonmoot on the Monday after the event... Wish me luck.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-12-2008 at 11:29 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #1180
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Great website, Hookbill!

I was a little troubled by this part, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the character list, bolding mine
The Penguins are a noble and silly race. Lommy is a high ranking Penguin with something of a grudge against all things oaty. Her adventures are many and unusual.

She made a brief appearance on an airplane in episode 29 of volume 1. The fact that this character page is here should tell you she's going to come back for some reason.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #1181
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

A little later than usual...

the phantom's excellent work continues to give me more time to eat biscuits.

A shocking development hits The Phantom in today's episode...

Comic Archive
Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #1182
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

...I never knew I worked as a prison warden in a place I've never even heard of.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 PM   #1183
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
What's wrong with the Barrow-Wight? I thought I told him to have my screenname changed before this issue of The Downer would come out of print. Admins...

Anyway, good work with the articles, both of you. I almost cracked up at that "Mithalwen signed by Manchester united" thing.

Is the background of the mini headlines a little green because of Greenie's protest?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #1184
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nilp's head found? What, has his Arbeitsbuch or whatever that is killed him now? Haha, if I showed the editions where his photos and names appeared to Frau Ong and the others at their department, then maybe I can get perfect marks this semester at my German course.

Legal Madness.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #1185
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Is the background of the mini headlines a little green because of Greenie's protest?
It WAS purple or something, then I accidentally hit 'negative' and it went green and I thought, "Hmm. That actually looks better."

I know the phantom isn't around much, but he wanted to send this message to you all;

Old 09-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #1186
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
His body has become scarily feminine since I last saw him.

Or... could it be? Phantom! Are you wearing a corset?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #1187
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
His body has become scarily feminine since I last saw him.

Or... could it be? Phantom! Are you wearing a corset?
It's not my artwork, by the way. You can tell by the fact that it's... you know... good.

I had the same thought at first. But Joshua, my brother, who drew it, said it's because he can't draw folded arms very well. Looks fine to me.

In other NEWS...

We haven't had any word searches or puzzles in the paper for a while. I'd like to throw the idea out there for anyone who wants to make one. PLEASE DO!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #1188
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Nice drawing, Josh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir
Are you wearing a corset?
No!

Well... okay, maybe a little.

But are you saying that being somewhat trim qualifies me as "girly"? I hope not, as I rather like my waist the way it is. Having extra padding is not particularly useful on a tennis court, racquetball court, basketball court, or really any kind of court.

But naturally my biggest reason for staying fit is to impress you. For all I know you may make a wrong turn tomorrow and accidentally end up in Nebraska and spot me, and just in case that happens I want to be looking decent.

Oh, and Hook- I love what you added to the Mith headline!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #1189
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
A delightful Downer!

That pic is just... well the feeling of it, the way people ARE there... That was soo nice!

---

"SPM, Nogrod and phantom have never been photographed or even wittnessed at the same time and place"... indeed... Is "my" secret going to be disclosed?

Makes one reconsider some werewolf-games anew...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #1190
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Ah Agan! I'm so glad someone else thought that.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #1191
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

That boat looks like it is going to sink! Were you guys trying to brake a Ghenis world record?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #1192
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:

Anyway, good work with the articles, both of you. I almost cracked up at that "Mithalwen signed by Manchester united" thing.
I don't think it is funny.

I shall be consulting my lawyers.

And what is Manchester United anyway?...no don't tell me, since it involves some benighted place in the grim upnorth I don't want to know.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #1193
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
No!
Oh... I had hoped you were.
Quote:
But naturally my biggest reason for staying fit is to impress you. For all I know you may make a wrong turn tomorrow and accidentally end up in Nebraska and spot me, and just in case that happens I want to be looking decent.
You should have asked me before deciding to stay fit - I can't resist fat and girly men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Ah Agan! I'm so glad someone else thought that.
Haha.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #1194
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
And what is Manchester United anyway?...no don't tell me, since it involves some benighted place in the grim upnorth I don't want to know.
Oh Mith, don't you remember...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM   #1195
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I shall be consulting my lawyers.
No, no, dear- I actually wrote a special full-length article especially for you that I will soon be sending to Master Hookbill. If you go and sue his paper I doubt he'll run an article that views you in a favorable light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
Oh... I had hoped you were.
Ah. Didn't expect that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agan
I can't resist fat and girly men.
Really? Well in that case, I'm going to go home, dress up like a princess, and eat an entire box of twinkies.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #1196
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
No, no, dear- I actually wrote a special full-length article especially for you that I will soon be sending to Master Hookbill. If you go and sue his paper I doubt he'll run an article that views you in a favorable light.
An article that views someone in a favorable light? In The Downer? What madness is this?

Oh, and for you Oxonmooters... The special paper will probably be completely insane. I've spent a bit of time thinking of 'good'* ideas for it. I'll try and write some of them down before we start work on it proper. Which will probably be on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of next week... Yes.

*by which I mean 'rubbish'
Old 09-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #1197
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Oh Mith, don't you remember...
But David Beckham is just one of Jeremy Clarkson's hens which was killed by a fox. I don't even know what street Manchester is on.....

And Phantom darling .. Iw as thinking more on the lines of injunctions..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-17-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #1198
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
You know, I really want to read this super special Downer, it simply is not fair that people do not hand me 3,000 dollars to buy a plane tickets to Oxford with.
It would be so wonderful to have a real, solid, paper and ink Downer.

Oh, and I have been meaning to tell you this Hookbill; those Phantom and Alien images are [I]really[I] awesome. I know you didn't make them, but still. I may have to put them on a t-shirt as a Christmas present for "certain people". But I think that would require a large image of John Fillis. (Hint, hint).

Last edited by Laurinquë; 09-17-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:05 AM   #1199
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

With this twice weekly dosage of Phantom and Alien, you'd think you'd get sick of it pretty soon...

Comic Archive
Old 09-18-2008, 08:17 AM   #1200
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Mr. the Goomba, I'm curious as to what's happening in the background of this comic.