The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Soriman the Whide has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Soriman the Whide
Best bits.

This thread is about the best bits of Peter Jacksons LoTR trilogy.
I know some members of this forum have a disliking for the films but can we all agree that the music and Christopher Lee are something rather special.

Here's a timestamped link to one of my best bits.
https://youtu.be/rEe1XtP-gfQ?t=17
Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
Ring Bearer
Animated Skeleton

Ring Bearer has just left Hobbiton.
Howard Shore is ♥️
Ring Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I thought the casting, in general, was positively inspired.

Theoden, and Elrond looked nothing like i imagined, but after a little while that matters little.

If I had to single a few out, my top 5 would probably go something like this:
Galadriel
Gandalf
Saruman
Bilbo
Aragorn

I feel a bit sad for not including Boromir and Gollum, but as I said I hinted earlier, I think most of the actors put in a stellar performance.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The score and the scenery. After watching the Hobvit movies, I also want to add the costumes. TH costumes were over the top and felt a little lile something out of a dress up game, but LOTR costumes for me were an underappreciated thing until recent years.

Scene-wise, I remember liking something about Frodo at Sammath Naur, but I will have rewatch it to remember what impressed me about it.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:10 AM   #5
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Honestly, the whole of Fellowship. I loved it in 2001 and I love it now. It's not perfect (I've always found Lothlorien to be disappointingly non-golden, but that may be colourblindness at play), but it's an incredible film that feels like Middle-earth. The music is amazing: the Shire theme, Rivendell, and that majestic main theme that I think reaches its peak in Moria (you know the one... DUM dum da-da DUM... da-da-DUM da-da-DUM da-da-DA-DUM). And it doesn't have character-breaking digressions like the Osgiliation or Sam turning back. (Well... Arwen, but I'm mellowing towards that these days.)

The return to the Shire, and to the Shire theme, at the opening of Unexpected Journey was like coming home.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
The Extended Edition extra features. God is my witness that I was sharply critical of the films from the get-go, even if they proved far better than my fears going in and even if I haven't quite reached Hui's stage of acceptance on the Arwen-replacing-Glorfindel front, I do think of the PJ movies with a mellowed attitude compared to my former self.

But even my former self loved the Extended Editions and their cornucopia of special features, including (if memory serves) four commentary tracks each. My parents bought all the Extended Editions and I actually made it through EVERY feature and EVERY commentary track on the Fellowship and large chunks of the later two. I learned so much about the craft of movie-making and my pre-existent love of Tolkien's letters and the HoME paired nicely for a long, drawn-out "making of" experience. Even if the end product I would still have had be otherwise, I truly enjoyed that ride.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #7
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
One of he things that I thoroughly disliked was when PJ would assign quotations new owners, or would alter the views of a character for no apparent reason. In the Two Towers I remember getting quite cross.

Despite this, one of the greatest things ever is the opening monologue by the one true queen, Galadriel.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 04:42 AM   #8
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
...even if I haven't quite reached Hui's stage of acceptance on the Arwen-replacing-Glorfindel front...
Heh. I realised last time watching the film that Glorfindel isn't really a character - he's worldbuilding. If you want to show off the background mythology, the power of those who have seen the Light of the Trees, and how much mightier the elder Noldor are than the likes of Legolas; and especially if you want to be able to point to all that and say "even Glorfindel - even Glorfindel, who drove off the Nine singlehanded - couldn't blast his way into Mordor..." for all these things, Glorfindel is a fantastic tool.

But as a character? As someone to show on screen and make us root for? Nope. He shows up, does his thing, then vanishes entirely from the story.

In contrast, Arwen is someone we should be rooting for - there's a whole love story for her and Estel in the Appendices, Tolkien clearly cared! - but we never get a chance. I think she appears once when Frodo sees her, and then not again until her wedding? She's not a character - certainly not a successor to Luthien the Nightingale - and as Elessar's beloved she really should be.

So yes, I accept that putting her in is strictly better than using Glorfindel, for movie purposes, and I admired the fact that Frodo's first view of her is clearly an "unseen world" version (she switches clothes, hair, and language when we go back to 'objective' view). Does that mean it was a good solution to the problem? Nnnnot really. What they did was give her an inconsistent characterisation - she's mostly this visionary type who taaalks reeeally sloowly, but we're introduced to her by her riding around yelling at Nazgul and waving a sword.

Ironically they could have fixed this by keeping her a bit more Glorfindel. Let her heal Frodo enough that he can ride by himself, and she can stand with Aragorn to drive the Nazgul into the river - then do her little bit of magic to call it to rise. It would give us the "look how powerful some elves can be" effect, while also showcasing the difference between her and her boyfriend - and would let Frodo have his "by Elbereth and Luthien the Fair!" line back, lending it added potency by the presence of Luthien's stunt double.

That would have been entirely consistent with their later characterisation of Arwen-as-sorceress/seer (maybe she rode out because she sensed them coming!), and would hew closer to the book.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #9
paul10
Newly Deceased

paul10 has just left Hobbiton.
Best song, in my opinion:
Elendil's Oath (from The Return of the King)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtHZ_1WFua4
paul10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #10
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Andy Serkus as Gollum is amazing and definitely a highlight of rewatching. Also Viggo Mortensen is hot.

I have all of the music on CDs. Howard Shore is amazing at everything he does.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #11
Soriman the Whide
Haunting Spirit

Soriman the Whide has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Soriman the Whide
I found these versions of the music interesting to listen to.

Playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUYt...4D8E68&index=2
Old 08-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #12
paulag
Banned

paulag has just left Hobbiton.
The movie scene that always strikes my heart is during the charge of the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith (as someone else has already mentioned), and the Grey Havens bit made me incredibly sad the first time I watched it.
My website

Last edited by paulag; 08-18-2021 at 08:28 PM.
paulag is offline   Reply With Quote