The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Old Tom bombadil is a...?!?!

For Ages, the debate has raged across the continent of The Downs. Alliances have arisen and crumbled, new ideas swilling around like mouthwash in the caverns of a Giant's mouth. Brother and Sister have betrayed one another and-

Enough theatrics. I was bored.

This thread is to discuss the question of Tom Bombadil. What, actually, was he? A representation of Arda? A Maia? A weird bloke? Somebody irrelevant but dear to Tolkien?

All these ideas have been presented at some point, and discredited as ridiculous by advocates of all the others.

Here, in this thread, we will hold a showdown. The Truth shall be unfurled. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the Greatest thing in Barrow Downs history...

So what was Tom Bombadil? Please post your ideas. For myself, I have come to a logical conclusion which (I hope) none can deny.

Tom Bombadil was a modern-day master sprinter transported back in time to the Third Age by some weird warp in time-space. And I have evidence!

Quote:
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow
Why so Merry? Plainly, he has just got back from winning a race.

Quote:
Bright blue his jacket is
This refers to those vest-thingies athletes have to wear. You know, the ones with weird numbers on.

Quote:
And his boots are yellow
Trademark footwear for a master sprinter.

Quote:
None has ever caught him yet
He's just that fast!

Quote:
His songs are stronger songs
This is symbolic. His songs, here, represent his urge to win; a much stronger will than any other sprinters could hope to achieve. Could also be a reference to singing after winning.

Quote:
And his feet are faster
Duh.

There is extensive further evidence, but I doubt any will require it. The Truth is plain!

Please post your own theories about Old Bombadillo.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I believe that the truth of the matter is that Tom Bombadil is a "Merry" fellow. In other words, he is most obviously Merry's alter ego.

After all, it was Merry who led the Hobbits into the Old Forest. Merry had "disappeared" (they say he was in the willow, but we only have Pippin's word for it- the Fool of a Took). Thereafter, in the House of Thomas Meriadoc Brandywine-Bombadil, we are given no scenes of Merry and Tom directly interactly. I would theorise that Merry's accomplice Goldberry (aka Estella Bolger- also known as Fatty*) used some rather potent brews to confuse the Hobbit's minds and make them think that Merry was with them as well as Tom.

Now, it must be obvious therefore that Estella was again playing a covert role when Merry, Pippin, and Sam are captured by the Barrow-Wight, since Merry ole Tom shows up not long after to save the day.

Finally, at the edge of the Old Forest, under the cover of dusk, Merry and Estella again trade places, so that Goldberry/Estella/Fatty remains behind (and gives word to Gandalf) while Merry continues on.

Obviously, this was the whole reason that Merry goes on the quest, so that Tom Bombadil can face and defeat the Witchking. One may ask why he didn't do it at Weathertop, but the answer is that he was still being affected by lingering effects of the Prancing Pony's ale. Besides, he didn't want to blow his cover.

Gandalf obviously knew about this, which is why he was so adamant that the Ring be destroyed and not sent to Tom. After all, Tom was right there with them. Furthermore, at the end of the story, when Gandalf disappears to "visit Tom", the reason we are never shown the scene is that it never happened- Gandalf was actually visiting Estella, who, as Fatty, was actually in the Lockholes at that time. Hence, Gandalf was actually helping to save the Shire, not just buggering off leaving the responsibility to Pippin and Sam.

There you have it. Tom Bombadil is Merry Brandybuck with boots and a beard.

*That Fatty is actually Estella may be easily shown by the fact that Fatty is never referred to by Fredegar. Besides, why do you think that Merry went ahead with "Fatty" instead of hanging out with his closer chums Frodo and Pippin?
Old 07-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

There is but one conclusion that can be drawn. Only one. Evidence clearly shows that Tom is none other than Sauron himself! I shall explain.

Clearly, if Tom was Merry or a famous runner, both mortal, he would have disappeared under the Ring's dreadful power. Yet the fact that he did not vanish points out that he was not mortal, cancelling out any possibilities of Merry or a futuristic fasty.Also, upon wearing the Ring, Bombadil exhibited no desire whatsoever to keep it from Frodo, a feat Gandalf did not even attempt! The Ring had no power over Tom, because Tom was truly its maker.

Now, you're thinking, 'if it was Sauron, he would have taken the Ring right then'. But no, he would not. He was in a weak state(due to lack-of-Ring-itus), and would need time to recover from his illness. Even taking back the Ring, he would have been enormously defenseless during his long trek home. He foresaw that they would bring the Ring closer to him, and he let them do so.

Now he was there mostly for recon work, and for his longing to hold his Precious, if for only a time. Once he was certain that the Ring would be taken somewhere(as opposed to thrown into the sea) he was satisfied to watch. At this time he also pointed his Nazgul directly to the Ring. This is why they caught up to the Hobbits at Bree, very soon after their separation from Tom.

This case is solved, Bombadil was Sauron.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

The arguments for Tom being Sauron are interesting, but a different interpretation would probably be warranted in this case. Sauron really would not have been in much danger on the way south, as the Nazgul would have protected him adequately. No, Tom probably represents someone else, close to Sauron but not quite.

Let's look at the facts:

-Unaffected by the Ring but not interested in it

-Trying very hard to seem unnoticed

-Does not really fit in with the rest of the world

-Mysterious origins that he does not want to talk about

-Helps Frodo on his way

-Has power over the Barrow-Wight, along with other mysterious abilities

All this seems to show that Tom is trying very hard to hide his true nature and powers and to keep well out of the way of anyone until the time is right. Therefore, I propose that Tom is really Morgoth. If anyone were to learn that he had escaped from the Void, the Valar would soon come and lock him up again. So he pretends to be a good person and hides much of his power. He does not have access to his former resources, and knows that Sauron, now interested only in himself, would betray him if he asked for help. Morgoth needs to get Sauron out of the way and then assume command of the armies of Mordor before starting a new reign of darkness. That is why he allows Frodo to continue safely on his way with the Ring.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Ah! I just remembered about this! The Subconscious works in strange ways...

For those interested, a very strong case for the Witch-King of Angmar and Tom being the same person is presented on the site.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Ah yes, I seem to remember making a hash of a presentation of that argument a few years back and being brutalised (completely fairly) by none other than burrahobbit! It still lies somewhere on the Downs...

'Tis a brilliant site tgwbs.

But on topic: I had always thought that the House of Tom Bombadil was a dream. As we know the Hobbits were trapped by the Barrow-wight in the Downs. They were put to sleep; so it seems clear to me that the shenanigans did not actually happen in reality. I mean, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry do not make sense! Wild nightmares are the obvious answer.

As for Fatty Lumpkin, I imagine the Hobbits just found him in a field somewhere.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I return to you with a new theory.

True, Bombadillo could be any of the mentioned above (well, actually, no, I'm about to disprove you all... here it comes!) but then, why does the Ring not affect him?

Merry would surely be affected by a ring, as would the Witchking or Fredegar.

No, you see, Tom Bombadil is... Eru Iluvatar. Yes! It makes complete sense.

Observe: The Ring was forged by Sauron, one of the greatest of the Maiar. It affects him. Therefore, it must affect all other Maiar as well as lesser beings. This means that no creature save one of the most hallowed could be unaffected! But the Valar were all in Valinor, meaning that Tom must be a physical manifestation of Eru himself.

Eru came to Arda to spread his Truth - that is, to preach the advantages of Nudity to all that passed by. Unfortunately, due to the hobbits' later adventures, they completely forgot to introduce nudity to the Shire, and as a race they were forever condemned to the Void after Death...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #8
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Eru came to Arda to spread his Truth - that is, to preach the advantages of Nudity to all that passed by. Unfortunately, due to the hobbits' later adventures, they completely forgot to introduce nudity to the Shire, and as a race they were forever condemned to the Void after Death...
Well, were this the case, he would appear to have at least STARTED his mission, since Hobbits, the nearest residents to the Old Forest, go around without shoes, socks, boots, nylons, sandals, or any other foot-paraphrenalia. All except those heretic Stoors.

I imagine his next task would have been to convince them to lose all their headgear...
Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Oh, how wrong you all can be! It is rather clear that Tom Bombadil is a lively Ent in disguise. And this is what lead me to that conclusion.

An Ent isn't a regular human-like being so he can't be affected by the ring.

Ents, as we know, are "tree-like people whose purpose was to protect the forests of Middle-earth." (Encyclopedia of Arda) What else is Tom Bombadil doing than prancing around his lands and maintaining public order?

Bombadil fusses about nature all the time and he is able to talk to trees and command them.

"Tom Bombadil came trotting round the corner of the house, waving his arms as if he was warding off the rain." (FotR, In the house of Tom Bombadil) This is natural. Air pressures have a tendency to level down wich causes wind (from high pressure to low pressure). Wind makes clouds and treetops move. Do the math.

He wears colourful and distinctive clothes to draw attention away from his features which would of course give away the fact that he is an ent.

"In his own house, rather than a hat, he wore a crown of autumn leaves." (EoA) Well, duh! He is a tree. Of course there are leaves on his head.

Tom Bombadil is an ent.

Quod erat domonstrandum.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:07 PM   #10
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
I think that Tom is an Incarnation of either Peter Kay or Tony Christie, as witnessed in the following song:

Is this the way to Ammarillo
Its there I met Tom Bombadillo
His mushrooms made me a merry fellow
Now I am mad my brain is made of Jello.

Tra la la la la la la
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Old Tom Bombadillo,
Is a pickled Armadillo.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #12
Mansun

Dark-Eye Tom Bombadil = The Witch King of Angmar?

I was looking at some of the other forums regarding the LOTR and discovered one post that is particularly interesting:-

Tom Bombadil and the Witch-king of Angmar are the same person.

DISCUSS

Arguments:

1. We never hear of Tom at all during the whole of the First Age. The Nine Rings aren't forged until the Second Age. QED.

2. You never see the two of them together.

3. In the first part of Fellowship of the Ring, the Nazgul are sent to the Shire to look for the wandering Baggins. Interestingly, Tom says to Frodo at the dinner-table: "...I was waiting for you. We heard news of you, and learned that you were wandering... But Tom had an errand there, that he dared not hinder" (Fellowship p.137 hardback, emphasis mine: note the fear Tom has of his master, Sauron!).

4. In Tom's questioning of the Hobbits, JRRT notes that "there was a glint in his eyes when he heard of the Riders." (Fellowship p. 144) I think he was concerned that his double-life might have been noticed. Interestingly, Tom immediately changes the subject of conversation!
Furthermore, the One Ring had no effect on Tom - which seems consistent with Tolkien's observations about how the Nazgul would have handled the same priceless object (Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, #246): "They were... in no way deceived as to the real lordship of the Ring."

5. It's also interesting to note that Tom could see Frodo clearly while Frodo was wearing the Ring (Fellowship p. 144 hardback) - just as the Witch-king could see Frodo clearly while he was wearing the Ring at Weathertop! (Fellowship p. 208 hardback)

6. Perhaps most damning, however, is the incident with the Barrow-wights (Fellowship pp. 151-155), where Tom - with nothing more than a few simple words (p. 154) - commands the Barrow-wight to leave. And it does, without argument. Why would the Wight be so completely under Tom's control? Because in his alternate guise as the Witch-king of Angmar, Tom ordered the Wight to inhabit the barrow in the first place! Turning to Return of the King, Appendix A, p. 321, "evil spirits out of Angmar... entered into the deserted mounds and dwelt there." Obviously the Witch-king was reponsible for sending the wights there; just as obviously, the Witch-king (disguised as Tom) would be capable of ordering them to leave!
(This is related to another passage, which has since been brought to my attention. On Fellowship page 158 hardback, Tom is guiding the Hobbits back towards the Road when he gazes towards the borders of Cardolan. "Tom said that it had once been the boundary of a kingdom, but a very long time ago. He seemed to remember something sad about it, and would not say much." Since Tom, as the Witch-king, was the one who destroyed the kingdom of Cardolan, it's little wonder that he wouldn't say much about his involvement. Perhaps his remembering "something sad" reveals some remorse at being the instrument of Cardolan's destruction...?)

...Yep: I think we have an airtight case here.

...It's worth noting that, after the Witch-king was dead, Gandalf said he was "going to have a long talk with Bombadil" (Return of the King, p. 275). Curiously, he never tells anyone about the meeting later... and he's right there at the Grey Havens at the end of the book, undelayed it seems by long conversation. I think we can therefore theorize that Gandalf made it to the Old Forest, but that Tom (once the so-called "Witch-king" had died) was nowhere to be found!

...Of course, all this brings up the curiosity of motive. What would make the Witch-King of Angmar sport such a double identity? I suppose that the Witch-king, once of proud Numenorean ancestry, felt trapped by the guise of evil which Sauron had tricked him into, and in the fullness of time forged this alternate identity for himself so that he could occasionally feel happy, helpful, noble, and more at one with himself and his lineage. The situation is perhaps analagous to a crossdresser who, feeling trapped in a man's body, would occasionally assume the identity of a woman. It therefore makes sense that the Witch-king's other identity would be so peculiarly enigmatic, and perhaps sheds light on JRRT's observation in Letters #144: "And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally)."

...Who else would be aware of Tom's double-life, I wonder? Since Tom repeatedly claims to have been around "before the river and the trees", and indeed even claims to be older than the Ents (Fellowship p. 142), surely the eldest of the Elves would know he was lying. Elrond plays along with Tom in public, being kind enough not to reveal his secret, but also seems to know that Tom and the Witch-king are one and the same; hence his refusal to give the Ring to Tom for safekeeping (Fellowship p. 278-9): "Power to defy the Enemy is not in him."
Old 07-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Of course he had the Ring in his possesion, but then gave it back to Frodo!

Doh!!!!!!!

(although I am, in this reply, disregarding your penultimate paragraph)

but sorry, I remember reading a similar thread before on another forum a few years back, it doesn't ring true to me, although it's funny someone else has thought of it............
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
*imagines The Witch King donning yellow boots*

It all makes sense now...

I've always felt like there's a bigger separation between good and evil in Middle-earth.

I think we can gain one lesson about Tom Bombadil from this: he had all the powers of the Witch King without the inconvenience of servitude to an evil master, being 'undead', and a ring.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #15
Mansun

Question

I am intrigued as to whether old Bombadil could work as two persons, whilst of course not revealing this secret. Obviously there are some others who will shed more light on the true nature of Bombadil to counter this possibility.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #16
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mansun, as seemingly as airtight as your argument appears, I would have to respectfully disagree. I have information that I was not to divulge, but in order to clear the Witch-King's good name, I am forced to come clean.

Tom Bombadil is none other than Starship Captain James Tiberius Kirk.

That should be obvious to everyone, but for those that require additional proof:
  • You never see Bombadil and Kirk together, even at various science fiction/fantasy conventions.
  • "...I was waiting for you. We heard news of you, and learned that you were wandering... But Tom had an errand there, that he dared not hinder"- Kirk's tricorder probably picked up the approaching Hobbits as 'life forms,' and Kirk was disappointed that he could not blast them with his phaser. And Kirk would pick lilies from a stream if it would get him closer to a woman.
  • "there was a glint in his eyes when he heard of the Riders." Kirk was notorious for getting into fights, and these so-called Riders might fight the bill. Plus, Kirk liked horses, and sometimes horses and/or bad guys on horses meant 'damsel in distress,' a pheromone that Kirk could not resist.
  • Kirk was not affected by the Ring as his ego is of galactic proportions; some critics have suggested that the Captain has "delusions of godhood." Battling supernatural and godlike beings in a contest of wills (not wits, mind you) was a daily experience for Kirk. To think that the Ring could do anything to him...ha. And Kirk was such an egomaniac prima donna that nothing, absolutely nothing could make him leave center stage, let alone make him become invisible.
  • And Kirk's power over the Barrow wights is easily explained. Anyone familiar with the Captain knows that he is prone to monologuing - making grandiose speechs that left his enemies in tears and his fellow crewpersons ready to sacrifice themselves just so that they wouldn't have to hear anymore. The death scream of the wight is proof of Kirk's speaking abilities. And note that he lifted a necklace from the pile on the hill to, yet again, get in good with Goldberry.
  • And the yellow boots are a dead giveaway - the Captain's uniform is gold/yellow.

And just who do you think that the Blue Wizards, Pallando and I , were sent to retrieve?

This is Spock...I mean uhh...alatar... out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Three.jpg (3.5 KB, 1199 views)
Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #17
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye No offense, but...

As these are not very serious suggestions, Middle-Earth Mirth is probably the best place to be discussing them, and they'd probably belong on this thread.

Though I did like the Star Trek idea...
Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #18
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Mansun, as seemingly as airtight as your argument appears, I would have to respectfully disagree.

Alatar, these Bombadil/WK comparisons were made by somebody else (not me!) from another Forum, yet they are still interesting if what somewhat bizarre. Nobody can dent that Bombadil is the strangest of all the ME characters, so much that one might question whether Tolkein was right to include him in the LOTR at all, since he plays little or no part in the vast majority of the story, unless that he DOES play another person at the same time.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #19
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've read the original article presenting this thesis; if I remember correctly, it was on the Tolkien Sarcasm Site. (i. e. flyingmoose) Since it is definitely not a serious book discussion, I'm moving this thread to the Middle-Earth Mirth forum. A relatively new Tom Bombadil thread is already located there, so I will see if I can merge the two. (Old Tom Bombadil is a...?)

Kudos to alatar for a wonderful new crackpot theory - what a laugh!! I really enjoyed reading that!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #20
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Apologies all around, especially to Mansun, if I've skewed the discussion or intent of the thread.

Sorry, but I just couldn't restrain myself...
Old 07-21-2005, 11:59 AM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
No apology needed, alatar! Your contribution was definitely right in line with the intent of that orginal article!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #22
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
No apology needed, alatar! Your contribution was definitely right in line with the intent of that orginal article!
But it would seem that the thread has been brought to a screeching halt.

In regards to Bombadil, whether he is actually the Witch-King, Aulë or even Iluvatar, I've always wondered about what he and Gandalf spoke when Gandalf leaves the Hobbits before the scouring of the Shire. You'd have Tom, who to me seems to be suffering from ADD (attention deficit disorder), sitting with Gandalf, who just finished his life's work where he'd not only been in physical battle but knows practically all of the current players in Middle Earth, from the Gaffer all the way to King Elessar.

Would love to read the transcript.

And another question: Did Tom act like Tom in front of Gandalf, or was his capering and dancing and singing all a ploy to put the Hobbits off of his real identity?
Old 07-22-2005, 08:38 AM   #23
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well, this idea is not actually an alternative identity, but I was thinking that Tom is Middle-earth's version of Patch Adams! Always singing and laughing, wearing silly clothing, running ridiculous errands (picking flowers instead of something practical and/or nourishing) and helping the hobbits when they were in difficulties. We are not told if he has a red nose, but I wouldn't be surprised a bit if he wore one occasionally! An early incarnation, perhaps?
Old 07-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #24
Mansun

Boots

Quote:
The yellow boots are a dead giveaway - the Captain's uniform is gold/yellow.
I suppose you meant these yellow wellies here! Old Bombadil must have made them himself lol.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 AM   #25
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
I have information that I was not to divulge, but in order to clear the Witch-King's good name, I am forced to come clean.

Tom Bombadil is none other than Starship Captain James Tiberius Kirk.

That should be obvious to everyone, but for those that require additional proof:

. . . .

This is Spock...I mean uhh...alatar... out.
I think the clincher lies in obvious subterfuge between Goldberry and the many roles Mrs. "Roddenberry" played. *coughs*
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 AM   #26
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
I think the clincher lies in obvious subterfuge between Goldberry and the many roles Mrs. "Roddenberry" played. *coughs*
To run with this idea just a bit further, if Goldberry/Mrs. Roddenberry (as astutely noted by Bęthberry) were able to control Captain Kirk to the point of having him dress and act like Tom, this would account for Kirk's/Tom's seeming immunity to the power of the Ring - he was under a much greater and more powerful influence, dwarfing the power of Sauron's paltry Ring.

Sauron desired only Middle Earth and maybe even Arda, but such things pale in comparison to exclusive franchise rights...

"Yes dear, you can be in any episode and can be any character that you want..." said Gene gingerly.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #27
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I've got it! The final answer.

Bombadil is Beren!

Let's look at the facts.

1. Beren and Luthien dissappeared after the destruction of Beleriand. | Nobody knows where Tom or Goldberry came from.

2. Tom is immune to the Ring's power. | Beren died, and then came back to life... making him immortal and unaffected by the Ring.

3. Goldberry is the River-woman's daughter. | Melian, Luthien's mother, was a lover of trees who lived in caves alongside the River Esgalduin.

4. Tom commands trees. | Melian passed her knowledge of tree-lore on to Luthien, who passed it to Beren/Tom.

5. Tom sings about meeting Goldberry by a pond while she was singing. | All of us know that Beren happened upon Luthien and was enchanted by her song.

6. Tom could see Frodo when he put the Ring on. | This goes along with Beren dying. Since he died, he was part of the spirit world. When he was brought back, he was actually in both worlds. When Frodo slipped on the Ring and entered the spirit realm, Tom was there and could see him.

I should note that Beren being one handed could mar my theory. But I must ask you... does it ever say that Tom has two hands?

Tom is Beren and Beren is Tom. The End.

P.S. Hmmm. This could make a serious topic one day. *chuckles maniacly*
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM   #28
Mansun

Pipe

Tom Bombadil should not have been included in the LOTR. He contributes absolutely nothing to the story, yet there is something strange about him, as Elrond pointed out. He isn't just a normal human, but a strange creature of which even the Ring has no power over. On that front, he may be more powerful than the WK himself!

Last edited by Mansun; 07-25-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #29
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Tom Bombadil shopuld not have been included in the LOTR.
Thankfully, in retrospect, he was not included in the Peter Jackson version of LOTR. One only wonders (and shudders) at what liberties Peter would have taken with poor ole Tom.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #30
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dűm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Tom cannot be the Witch-King!

Why you ask?

Tom is really Morpheus, from the Matrix. And Frodo is Neo. That means Sam is Trinity! And Elrond would be...well...Agent Elrond!
CaptainofDespair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:06 AM   #31
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
I've got it! The final answer.

Bombadil is Beren!

1. Beren and Luthien dissappeared after the destruction of Beleriand. | Nobody knows where Tom or Goldberry came from.

2. Tom is immune to the Ring's power. | Beren died, and then came back to life... making him immortal and unaffected by the Ring.

3. Goldberry is the River-woman's daughter. | Melian, Luthien's mother, was a lover of trees who lived in caves alongside the River Esgalduin.

4. Tom commands trees. | Melian passed her knowledge of tree-lore on to Luthien, who passed it to Beren/Tom.

5. Tom sings about meeting Goldberry by a pond while she was singing. | All of us know that Beren happened upon Luthien and was enchanted by her song.

6. Tom could see Frodo when he put the Ring on. | This goes along with Beren dying. Since he died, he was part of the spirit world. When he was brought back, he was actually in both worlds. When Frodo slipped on the Ring and entered the spirit realm, Tom was there and could see him.

I love your idea.... but Beren and Luthien never came back, didn't they, cos it's part of her deal with Mandos? Somewhere in the Sil it says that alone of the Eldar Luthien never came back and passed away.... and isn't that supposed to mean that she'd never be able to do so even with another form?

Goldberry is Goldberry because of gold hair, isn't it? Luthien was dark-haired....

Quote:
So it was that alone of the Eldalie she has died indeed, and left the world long ago.
Hehe... just found my Sil...

Last edited by yavanna II; 07-26-2005 at 05:14 AM.
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:48 AM   #32
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Yavanna, ye reckon without the Philosopher's* Stone! If Luthien had it, she could easily dye her hair and remain as Goldberry... Though she didn't.

*Sorceror's Stone in the U.S. (Presumably the idea of Philosophy is entirely an Old World concept.)
Old 07-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #33
Mansun

Question

I wonder whether Tom had one of the seeing stones, or indeed, whether he could see from afar events of ME from a power in him similar to that seen in the Mirror of Galadriel?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:06 PM   #34
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I myself still subscribe the the idea he is an ent spirit stripped from his physical body(old man willow) at the sight of the trully breath taking GOLDberry

Thank you for catchiong that

Last edited by Morsul the Dark; 08-09-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #35
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

*coughs* I do believe that you are willfully adding some of your own interpretation there, Morsul the Dark, some baggage from your Barrow Downs time to the text.

As Tolkien intended LotR, there warn't no Bethberry in it. 'twas Goldberry who set a fetching image in Tom's eye.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:39 AM   #36
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

I've just read The Adventures of Tom Bombadil for the second time. Astounding new evidence can be thrown into the debate!

Quote:
But one day Tom, he went and caught the River-daughter,
in green gown, flowing hair, sitting in the rushes,
singing old water-songs to birds upon the bushes.
He caught her, held her fast! Water-rats went scuttering
reeds hissed, herons cried, and her heart was fluttering.
Said Tom Bombadil: 'Here's my pretty maiden!
You shall come home with me!
Yes, an abductor! But that's not all...

Quote:
Little Bird sat on twig. ‘Whillo, Tom! I heed you.
I’ve a guess, I’ve a guess where your fancies lead you.
Shall I go, shall I go, bring him word to meet you?’
‘No names, you tell-tale, or I’ll skin and eat you,
babbling in every ear things that don’t concern you!
If you tell Willow-man where I’ve gone, I’ll burn you,
roast you on a willow-spit. That’ll end your prying!’
This is like threatening to burn a double glazing salesman. And eating him.

Quote:
‘Talk less, Fisher Blue! Keep your kindly wishes!
Fly off and preen yourself with the bones of fishes!
Gay lord on your bough, at home a dirty varlet
living in a sloven house, though your breast be scarlet.
I’ve heard of fisher-birds beak in air a-dangling
to show how the wind is set: that’s an end of angling!’
Insults the Kingfisher, then implicitly threatens to rip his beak off and use it as a weathervane.

Quote:
‘I’ll give your otter-fell to Barrow-wights. They’ll taw you!
Then smother you in gold-rings! Your mother if she saw you,
she’d never know her son, unless ‘twas by a whisker.
In league with Barrow Wights.

Quote:
Could you speak a fair word, I would love you dearer:
long neck and dumb throat, but still a haughty sneerer!
If one day the King returns, in upping he may take you,
brand your yellow bill, and less lordly make you!’
Insults the Swan, wishing her to be branded.

Quote:
‘Ware, Tom! We’ll shoot you dead with our bows and arrows!
We don’t let Forest-folk nor bogies from the Barrows
cross over Brandywine by cockle-boat nor ferry’.
Hobbits threaten Tom. Clearly, they know that he is in league with "bogies from the Barrow."

Quote:
I’ll call the orks on you: that’ll send you running!
Perhaps the most incriminating evidence against Old Tom. He is, I'm afraid, in league with Orcs.

So, what have we got? He kidnapped his wife and forced her to marry him. He constantly spouts foul insults. He threatens to burn and eat people who annoy him (and generally likes to threaten people). He is in league with Barrow Wights and Orcs. Obviously he is evil, and most likely the ancestor of the modern day phenomenom we have come to know as "chavs." He was clearly an outlaw, which explains why his home is so far from civilisation.

The probable conclusion is that, being extremely anti-social, he went to live Wild amongst the animals. Seeing Goldberry, he kidnapped her and forced her into a wedding. His foul mouth meant he got on well with wandering Orcs, and his evil nature meant he had some sort of accord with the Wights, thus his ability to save Frodo and company from them. He was simply a Man, a very bad sort of Man, but still human. The Ring had no effect on him because his Fea was as corrupt as Sauron's. He probably meant to burn and eat the fat, tasty hobbits after ensnaring them, but Goldberry talked him out of it. And Fatty Lumpkin? Why do you think he was so fat...?

Last edited by the guy who be short; 08-06-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:59 PM   #37
solarisa
Animated Skeleton

solarisa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

breaking news: tom bombadil is none other than chad from school. ... ... i HATE chad!!!! fumingfumingfumingfumingfuming i wish he was old and die sometime (soon)
Old 08-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #38
solarisa
Animated Skeleton

solarisa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
He probably meant to burn and eat the fat, tasty hobbits after ensnaring them, but Goldberry talked him out of it. And Fatty Lumpkin? Why do you think he was so fat...?
apart from chad, i think, maybe, your riiigghhtt...

OR maybe we;re just thinking to much...he's probably just an old duffer outa noweres.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:24 PM   #39
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

It was discussed on another thread that Tom Bombadil may have been a glorious and most noble Warg!

Quote:
Originally posted by SamwiseGamgee
Who knows? It could just as easily been a warg who had aided the hobbits in their quest, perhaps a far off descendant of the wargs of Rohan? Perhaps Tom Bombadil was even a warg? It is a puzzling perplexion which I feel could be a fine debate.
Quote:
Originally posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I do wonder if Wargs can be considered Bombadil-esque. If we consider it, we can see that the origins of Men and Elves and Dwarves and Ents are given explanation. Even Hobbits are explained better than Wargs are, being linked closely to Men. To not explain the origins of Wargs (especially considering how potent their powers are) was a strange ommision by the Good Professor.
Now, I find this theory fascinating. If I had more time to elaborate I would but right now I can't so I'll have to leave it out for discussion.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #40
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarisa
breaking news: tom bombadil is none other than chad from school. ... ... i HATE chad!!!! fumingfumingfumingfumingfuming i wish he was old and die sometime (soon)
By joe She's got it!

but all kidding aside my boss who like chad is detestable is another LOTR fan(her only redeeming quality) she believes TOm was a huntsman who loved the woods so much and cared for them so greatly that Eru smiled upon him and gave him immortality.

however from the evidence shown by guy who be short I can presume this
Tom Bombadil is evil OR Saruman when he wandered try to ake him seem evil

Recall Gandalf's quote "And how would you do that Gimli? he(saruman) could look like me to you if it suited his purpose." So we can assume he could make himself look like ol' Tom if this were true there is a deeper power in tom than we can guess otherwise why would saruman sabatage tom?