The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2002, 08:22 AM   #1
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Two Towers / Twin Towers

I heard a discussion at school which caught my attention. One girl seemed to think that 'The Two Towers' name should be disregarded when naming the new movie, on the grounds that 'people will be reminded of September 11th' (Sounds like Twin Towers)<BR>Does anyone else feel this way? Or am I right in thinking that this girl is just disrespecting the long history of The Lord Of The Rings?
Old 05-10-2002, 08:51 AM   #2
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is actually a petition going around to change the name, in light of the September 11th attacks, but I think it's highly unlikely. She should keep in mind that the book was written (AND named) nearly fifty years before the attacks. And if the movie's name was changed, fans would be outraged.
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:02 AM   #3
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Aosama. <BR>The title of the movie shouldn't be changed because of the disaster on September 11th. The only similarity between the book and the attack is the title (and that is not even a similarity as far in my opinion). <BR>I thought it quite good that the movie, in which there was a terrorist attack much like the one on september 11th, wasn't published on the date it was supposed to be but half a year later. The movie is published some time ago. But I don't agree with the change-the-name subject.<P>greetings, <BR>lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 09:06 AM   #4
Halfir
Animated Skeleton

Halfir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think those who are requesting a retitling of the second LOTR movie are being somewhat naive. <P>Those who have the Twin Towers horror seared into their consciousness will not need to be reminded- it will be with them forever. <P>Those who have forgotten, or placed it at the back of their minds will hardly be traumatized by a movie title referring to Two Towers. <P>Moreover, for those of us who travel by air, the institution of extensive security procedures brings home the evil reality of the Twin Towers every time we fly.<P>Indeed, there is a case for arguing that the Twin Towers horror should be permanently kept in the forefront of all our minds less we grow careless of the threat of international terrorism, in which case, keeping the movie as titled could be seen as serving a beneficial purpose.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:03 AM   #5
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ok, sorry if I'm being a little harsh but whoever thinks that The Two Towers is referring to the Twin Towers, is extremely retarded!!!!!!!! TOLKIEN WROTE THE TWO TOWERS MORE THAN 50 YEARS BEFORE THIS HAPPENED!!!!!! That petition going around is the stupidest petition ever!!! IT'S A JOKE!! I understand that people are still very upset about what happened but they must know that The Two Towers has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Twin Towers!!! That petition makes me laugh!!!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:08 AM   #6
Nufaciel
Wight

Nufaciel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Have you actually read the things on that petition? Most of the signatures have been deleted, and much of what is left are sarcastic remarks aimed at the person who started this thing. It seems that it is no longer available. I was going to post it here, so you could see it, but I don't find it.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:31 AM   #7
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think when those tragic events were still very fresh in our minds, and we were all still feeling raw emotions to the horrors of the attack, then people were over-sensitive to anything that seemed to be even a vague reminder of those painful images. <P>Time has put those feeling in perspective for most of us (though I can't speak for people who lost loved ones in the attack.) For myself, when I here The Two Towers, I think of Tolkien, and that his title represents two cultures across vast distances, and the conflicts that they represent in the book. <P>When I hear "The Twin Towers", the images are very different. The two phrases are distinct in my mind. One does not conjure up images of the other. <P>Funny that this petition should be started on the Net, because I've seen far more tackier "homages" to September 11th there, and question the wisdom of the people responsible. But I would not include Tolkien or Peter Jackson in that group.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2002, 11:42 AM   #8
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought it quite good that the movie, in which there was a terrorist attack much like the one on september 11th, wasn't published on the date it was supposed to be but half a year later <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What? What terrorist atack? Did I miss something? The movie came out only 2 1/2 months after Sep 11; how could they have pushed it back half a year?
Old 05-11-2002, 12:21 AM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I remember hearing this debate elseware and it made me angry. There is no reason to change the title of something that was created years before 9/11. Yes, it was tragic, but people try to hide from it whether than face it. Changing the title of a movie that has nothing to do with such events is just another form of hiding from fact, from what actually happened.<BR>Some people are just ignorant & get offended to easily. I think it is important to move on and not let such trivial things as the name of a movie make us nervous. I mean, come on!<BR>Sorry, that's my two cents.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 08:26 AM   #10
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Actually, most of the people who signed the petition were "false signatures". They were flaming the guy. It was really quite funny, some of the stuff that they said. Once the other site I go to is back up, I'll post some of the ones that people quoted as their favorites.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:36 AM   #11
nevtalathiel

White-Hand

In the version of the petition I saw, it even started somehting like:<P>The book the Two Towers was written and titled in 1954, and the two towers of the title bear no resemblance to the twin towers of the World Trade Center in any way.<P>Uh, I think they demolished their argument in the first sentence!
Old 05-11-2002, 11:41 AM   #12
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

If the title of the movie was to be changed, the terrorists would score another point.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:18 PM   #13
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Good point, Lush! I too, agree that the idea of changing the title is a joke. Like it's been said before, the 9/11 attack and Tolkien are completely unrelated, and one does not make you think of the other. Whoever wants to change the title is evidently a paranoid, low little ninny who has no appreciation for TOlkien, not to mention too bored and needs to find something productive to do. The title of a movie is not hurting anybody. There is absolutely NO valid reason why it should be changed. It disgusts me how outrageously stupid and fanatical some people can be.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 01:27 PM   #14
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lush is 100% right. The other day I got up to go to the bathroom about 12:30, and I heard my mom and dad discussing changing the name. They felt if the name was changed, the terrorists would feel more confident that they are winning. We need to show them(the terrorists) that 9/11, didn't change us, yes we must grieve for the dear departed, but when we resort to changing the name of a movie based on a book written 50 years ago, the terrorists really have won.
Old 05-11-2002, 02:01 PM   #15
Wight

Sting

Hear, hear, Gimli and Lush! <BR>I think the petition-writers are forgetting as well that the two towers mentioned in the title are Isengard and Cirith Ungol (correct me if wrong) which are at least several hundred leagues apart.<p>[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: Aosama, the Wandering Star ]
Old 05-11-2002, 02:44 PM   #16
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

September 11th tragedy, Earthquakes in China, Corrupt politicians everywhere, not to mention good stuff like scientific advancements and the approaching World Cup.<P>None of these are more important than The Lord Of The Rings.<P>And I'll say it again, September 11th was a tragedy, it was a terrible day. But I don't think its more important than a certain work of literature that's brought great delight to millions all over the world.<P>So a few people might be reminded of the Twin Towers for a few moments. Not a big deal. It often comes into my thoughts, I'll never forget it. If the name of film was changed it would be an outrage and I'd be willing to bet that no-one would associate The Two Towers with The Twin Towers if media and trouble-starters weren't trying to associate them.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:25 PM   #17
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Here's the <A HREF="http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/petition.html" TARGET=_blank>Petition</A>. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The book the Two Towers was written and titled in 1954, and the two towers of the title bear no resemblance to the twin towers of the World Trade Center in any way.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, this is the disclaimer by petitiononline. The letter to be signed is underneath this statement. Read some of them and let me know what you think.
Old 05-11-2002, 07:50 PM   #18
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Nufacial -- Thanks for letting us view this petition. <P>Frankly, from my perspective, the whole thing is distasteful. I say this after reading both the petition and some of the responses. <P> The people who drafted such a document need their heads examined. Some of the responses are equally stange (not all of them, but many), even the ones who said the drafters of the petition were out of line. The hundreds (thousands??) of deleted entries.....<P>After actually reading the thing, I am wondering if the person who drafted this petition was actually serious or merely wanted to brew up a storm. Maybe someone just wanted publicity. <P>I am hoping and assuming the whole thing will blow away. <P>Perhaps others will judge this document and its signers (pro and con) less harshly and I've just lost my sense of humor. But, right now, that's the way I feel.<P>sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 05-11-2002, 09:37 PM   #19
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Personally, what could Peter Jackson really do? The movie has been made, everyone has gone home, and oh yeah! He already named the movie with its <I>CORRECT</I> name! Geez, the people who agreed with the petitioner probably didn't even know that LotR was a book! Someone on the petition said that Peter Jackson should name it <I>Lord of the Rings 2</I>! LotR 2?!?! Oookaaaaay, riiiiight, I'll just ignore that ignorant person, until he/she gets his/her facts straight.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 11:44 PM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thanks for posting the link! I laughed pretty hard at some of those responses.
Old 05-12-2002, 01:56 AM   #21
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

OK. I've gotten some of my sense of humor back and some of the reponses are funny (but a lot of them are just plain stupid!) But I still can't believe that this petition is for real. Anybody know who this character is?? It still smells like a publicity stunt to me, even some of the responses. sharon
Old 05-12-2002, 04:01 AM   #22
stone of vision
Haunting Spirit

stone of vision has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Isn't that "thing " a fake?!!! That's so stupidly unrealistic.<BR>Couldn't it be a perfidious way to use media advertisement, or to know how many potential consummers we would be or something like that...<BR> Whatever! A really bad and disrespectful joke for all the victims and the people who had suffered of the tragedy without forgetting of course all Tolkien admirers. <P>I'm wondering if those people have ever read the book! Damn, Tolkien wasn't even American!<P>Whoever they are , I pity their idiocy and their ignorance.*sadness*

Nee, ai****ara
Dare mo ga konna kodoku ni naru no?
stone of vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:21 AM   #23
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Susan Delgado - From the news I heard that the movie was supposed to be coming out some weeks after september 11th, but they had to wait half a year.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 07:37 AM   #24
Hanna_Gamgee
Animated Skeleton

Hanna_Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Hanna_Gamgee Send a message via Yahoo to Hanna_Gamgee
Pipe

I read the responses. Some of the answers are pretty funny. This is the dumbest petition I have ever seen.The name of the book was written 50 years ago and the author is from England not America anyway.If you guys want another laugh read this: <A HREF="http://www.petitiononline.com/blargh/petition.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.petitiononline.com/blargh/petition.html</A>
Old 05-12-2002, 08:03 AM   #25
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I followed your hyperlink, hanna, and found it so good and idea that I posted my signature...<BR>And found out that until now, there are 5 signatures...
Old 05-12-2002, 08:44 AM   #26
nevtalathiel

White-Hand

Yeah, that's probably about the same as the number of serious signatures for the other petition!
Old 05-12-2002, 08:54 AM   #27
Nufaciel
Wight

Sting

Yeah, you're right. All those deleted sigs on the petition were deleted by the person running it, because they were false sigs. Only a few were actually in favor of that petition. I mean really...come on. How dumb is this?
Old 05-12-2002, 08:55 AM   #28
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess you are right, Nevtalathiel.<BR>I mean, all of us in here agrees that the petition is a laugh, and the one who wrote it needs a good deal of therapy.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:24 PM   #29
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LotR 2?? Madness - it's still part of the same film!<P>And man alive!, were the towers even <I>built</I> when the book was published? Wasn't it the '60s or 70s?<P>
Old 05-12-2002, 03:35 PM   #30
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I say we start a petition against the Two/Twin Towers petition! Yeah!
Old 05-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #31
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

hahahaha some of those responses were pretty funny! So was the link you posted, Hanna. Hmmm maybe whoever started that petition did it to see how many people would react to it? Unless he/she did it for that reason, he has suceeded in proving that he's a moron. Before someone tries to make a petition and win the support of others, he needs to make sure that he does his research and gets his facts straight so that people will actually take him seriously. (ie- thinking that Peter Jackson named the movie! )HAH. what a laugh.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:36 PM   #32
Wight

Sting

Much thanks for the link. I don't believe I've laughed that hard in ages
Old 05-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #33
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i read both petitions (sp) and i laughed until i cried. NE1 who singed the TTT petition has obviosly not read the books. LotR 2?? lol. Petition-starter-person has succeded in providing me with a good laugh, and making a complete and utter moron of themselves. if it were me, i would never show my face in public or on the net again
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:09 AM   #34
Ivorwen
Pile O'Bones

Ivorwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

according to imdb.com, peter Jacson has thought of changing the name of the movie, but decided not to saying that, "the fans will kill me."
Ivorwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 07:08 AM   #35
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> will be reminded of September 11th <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What's wrong with being reminded? We will all remember that event whether there is a movie called The Two Towers or not.
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:16 AM   #36
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

What person in their right mind would think that the two towers relates to the twin towers?!?!? Its so stupid. Hey, lets change the name of NY so it dosen't remind anyone about what happened. Come on, its so stupid.
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:39 AM   #37
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i have read about a MILLION threads on this topic. And my opinion is, it's so STUPID!!! LOTR came out how many years before the movie? {And before the Sep. 11th thing?} These people need to wake up. Why change a name to a story written by one of the GREATEST writers of all time, just because some horrible tragedy happened 50 years later??? <P>Whoo. {Calms down and takes a huge breath.} Well, since that's over, I would just like to say one more thing. HAAAA!!!!!! Yes, I'm laughing at you, all of you weird critics out there that seriously need to get out more!! I'm laughing at YOU!!! I say once again, HA!!! <P>Oh, and Tigerlily, where did you get that AWESOME pic of Frodo and the ring? That is so cool!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:34 PM   #38
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

If they changed the name of The Two Towers, I would be horrified. Fantasy has nothing to do with reality. <P>When TTT comes out, it will nearly be a year and half since 9/11. Yes, I know it was a terrible tragedy, but there is a time when we must move on. Life goes on and we can't let one thing that happened in the past change everything. <P>Just because the words two and towers are combined together, it doesn't mean we are referring to the two towers that collapsed on 9/11. If the title of the second edition to LOTR really bothers someone, then they can just not watch the movie! Isn't that what people usually do when something bothers them? Ignore it?
Old 07-16-2002, 05:37 PM   #39
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Question

<B>AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH! </B> Sorry just had to get that out of my system. STupid morons who never heard of LotR. Argh.<P>~*Varda Elentari*~
Old 07-16-2002, 07:14 PM   #40
Anna Licumo
Haunting Spirit

Anna Licumo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anna Licumo
Sting

Oh no! It has to be changed! It's so sad! Oh, and Return of the King must be to, as it's so anti-american. And the Silmarillion, because....because....uh, it contains the letters S and A, which are in the USA, so must be anti-american as well! And The Hobbit, becuase it's so racists to refer to only one Hobbit and not the others. And the Unfinished Tales, because it's discrmatory against finished ones!<P> Okay, sorry for the sarcasm, but I had to get it out of my system.