The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-21-2002, 03:38 AM   #1
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting Who Thinks Legolas should have had a bigger part in LotR

Do u think that Legolas Greenleaf should of had a bigger and better part in LOTR? If u do what do u think should change about his input in LOTR.
Well i think Legolas should have been of noble elven blood. That may have been cool. Well i'll leave u to it.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: Iargwath ]

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 03:57 AM   #2
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Actually I think Legolas had an okay part. Off course it would've been nice to see even more of him in the films, but I like him the way he is. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Btw, Legolas is of noble blood. He is son of the King of Mirkwood elves, Thranduil. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 05:06 AM   #3
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

Yeah if u put it that way he is of noble blood [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but i wanted him to be more involved with the battles as well. I wanted to see more of his bow and arrow in action hehe. He doesnt have much of a part toward the end of the trilogy which is sad to say. But i still think he needed a bit more in the book.

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 06:49 AM   #4
Shadowfax Clawson
Pile O'Bones

Shadowfax Clawson has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowfax Clawson
Shield

When I was a young and frivolous child reading LotR for the first time, (not to say I'm not still young and frilovous [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) I thought that the part Legolas played, as a somber, silent character lent him the greatest part of his charm. He went along for the ride, and did a good job at all he was asked to do. His part in the book is exactly what Tolkien intended; a quiet, charismatic character. In forging friendship with Gimli, he lent himself greater nobility than could ever be achieved just by heredity.

Cheers,
ShadowFacsimile
Old 07-21-2002, 07:26 AM   #5
*nevquesseiel*
Pile O'Bones

*nevquesseiel* has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i think legolas had a good part in the movie, even tho i wouldnt have objected to seeing more of him.... hehe lol but i agree he shud have been of noble blood, he was a prince in the book after all....

Visit my Elfwood Art page!!
*nevquesseiel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 08:08 AM   #6
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't. The whole point of the fellowship being made mostly of men (2 men, 4 hobbits, and 1 guy pretending to be a man) was that it was time for men to take over. Elves were fading from the Earth, they couldn't do the same cool stuff as before.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:02 AM   #7
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Silmaril

Legolas had an ok part in FotR, and he will appear a bit more often in TTT and RotK, so thats ok.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 09:08 AM   #8
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Silmaril

I think all of the characters of the Fellowship should have had a bigger part. I mean, you just see them either walking or fighting, and you don't see them talking or interacting with each other. You don't get to know the characters well. I know its kind of hard with only a few hours, but it would have been nice.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:26 AM   #9
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Legolas did have a big part in lotr. Any more and his character just wouldn't have handled it. I mean seriously, could you see Legolas killing the nazgul king with arrows? Anyway he couldn't because have killed the nazgul considering that he was a guy so never mind that comment [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2002, 09:54 AM   #10
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

Actually, Legolas didn't kill the Nazgûl; he merely shot down the bird. Pretty good aim, though. I think his part in the story was fine.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
The Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:18 AM   #11
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

I do. I think Legolas should have been the star. I mean, who cares about some short hairy guy with a ring, right? Not me, when there's a dreamy elf prince right next to him. Woo hoo, let me at him!

Also, I think I should have co-starred as Legolas' fiance. I am a tall and very beautiful elf princess that was betrothed to him from birth, but it was kept secret so that the Dark Elves wouldn't kill me. That's why Tolkien didn't write about it.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:27 AM   #12
Bulelainwen
Animated Skeleton

Bulelainwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Bulelainwen
Sting

I think he had a good part, Of course i would have liked to see him more but elves are supposed to be quiet(i think) and smart
Quote:
Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know.
Bulelainwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:51 AM   #13
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Those who say he should...

Why?

Is your reason really a valid one, or just novelty?

burrahobbit's assertion is correct. The trilogy is set when the age of Man is dawning. Dwarves and elves are fading away; the world is changing. If you want to read about a lot of 'noble' elves, then you should pick up the Silmarillion.

Besides, Legolas was of 'noble' blood...his father was the King of the elven population of Mirkwood.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]
Old 07-21-2002, 11:00 AM   #14
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

well im sure that in the movies peter jackson will have him be an important role, cause girls love him so much, and itl be good for the box office
Old 07-21-2002, 11:02 AM   #15
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Tolkien did have Legolas as more of a supporting character. But if Legolas had been the Ringbearer, what then? the point was: it was when the hobbits arose from their comfortable lifestyle and attempted a quest that would prove unable to be done by any other. Elrond himself said so. And what would Legolas do? Show off his good charm in Mordor? Bring all the forces of the Dark Lord down upon himself? The Eldar Race were waning then, and the dominion of Men was coming. So it was right not to give Gimli or legolas an active role in the books or the movie. And I'm quite content witht he way it is, really. Having Legolas be more important is just too much for me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2002, 11:46 AM   #16
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

Legolas's role in the books was good i guess, but in the movie they could've added parts where he is speaking evish like in Lothlorien. (i would dearly love to hear legolas speak sindarin) i just can't get enough of him.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:07 PM   #17
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I agree with Shadowfax Clawson. Legolas' character and charm was largely due to the rather enigmatic and somber part he played in the Quest. His friendship with the dwarf Gimli, despite a rocky start, speaks more about him than his own words could ever have.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 05:30 PM   #18
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

AragornsHeir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AragornsHeir
Sting

Legolas did speak Elvish in the movie until they cut it out. He was the first to talk to Haldir. All I want is to hear Orlando Boom speak Elvish and I will be satifed for life. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
AragornsHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 09:01 AM   #19
whit144m

Silmaril

Yes, in the long run. In both the book and the movie. But if you look closely, he is the one who kills the ogre, warns the fellowship, and in the book leaps ahead to find Sun. You just have to look closely and focus on him. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2002, 09:10 AM   #20
whit144m

Jeez, onewhitetree, you're just in love with the guy! Same here, but that's no reason to put him on more! I mean, aren't all of his fans enough? Girls are swooning over him, but I myself like his aim, his voice, and his horse. In real life, though, Orlando Bloom is OOOOGLAY! Maybe I just like elves...
Old 08-17-2002, 09:17 AM   #21
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Legolas did have an ok part in the movie... But i really want to see towards the end of ROTK where Legolas and the elves of Mirkwood beutify Ithilien, builds his ship and sails off to the West with Gimli.
But i doubt it Peter Jackson will put that inside.....And yay! We will see more of Legolas in TTT.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #22
Baran
Haunting Spirit

Baran has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nah, Legolas's part was good, but I think Tolkien should have given Orc number 289 in the 3. infantery of Mordor a bigger role, I mean, honestly what do we know about him? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Baran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:24 PM   #23
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think he should have had a bigger role, because he was a very importent part and he is my favorite characters. I cannot wait to see him in the TTT!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 12:24 PM   #24
Iaurlachien
Pile O'Bones

Iaurlachien has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I think the part that legolas plays is just perfect. The story need not be changed in any way. Otherwise Tolkien wasn't true to himself by giving legolas this part. If Tolkien didn't like the part that legolas plays, he would have changed it, as he did with a lot of things in his story which didn't please him.

Wouldn't have minded to see more of this delicious looking elf in the film though....

Namarie!

Love, Iaurlachien
Iaurlachien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:46 PM   #25
Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Wraith
i think he should have had a bigger part to play, i don't really know what he'd do, i just love him!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: faramir's girl ]
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:56 PM   #26
Galadel Vinorel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadel Vinorel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galadel Vinorel Send a message via Yahoo to Galadel Vinorel
Silmaril

Yes, I think that it would have been nice if Legolas had little bit bigger part in LOTR.
By the way, welcome to the barrowdowns, faramir's girl. May you rest be long and peaceful. That is a common greeting here, because we are all dead. Have fun and post a bunch. If you have any questions just ask someone. Everybody is really very nice here. See ya around!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ August 17, 2002: Message edited by: Galadel Vinorel ]
“Words can never convey the incredible impact of our attitude toward life. The longer I live the more convinced I become that life is 10 percent what happens to us and 90 percent how we respond to it." -Charles R. Swindoll
Galadel Vinorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 02:59 PM   #27
Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Wraith
Sting

thanx galadel vinorel!!!!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 12:11 PM   #28
PayalS

Sting

Yea, he should have had a bigger part to play. I think that PJ is kinda like dumping all the excess lines on poor Legsie. Like pointing out the orcs, and stuff. he doesn't have much of a part, if you ask me. But don't worry. He'll have a better and bigger one in TTT.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:06 PM   #29
Elsaur
Pile O'Bones

Elsaur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elsaur Send a message via AIM to Elsaur
The Eye

i think his part was enough,i mean because they've just turned him into meat in the movie.he used to be an elf with a noble rep and a fair hand at shooting now he's eye candy and that sucks because it disrespects his character.now thousands of giggling idiot girls who have never read the book auto pair legolas and orlando and clog fan fic sites with stupid lego/orli love mush and i have an extreme hatred of such [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2002, 08:21 PM   #30
Gilwen
Pile O'Bones

Gilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think he did have a nice part, though I´d have like to see him more. But he`s an elf, they are quiet guys because they see all things different than others. So I think he`s rol is important nd was just ok. null
Old 08-21-2002, 06:35 AM   #31
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

Vinyaampawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyaampawen
Sting

AragornsHeir,

Orlando Bloom spoke Elvish in a interview with the actress who played Arwen. You can see it on line...if it is still there.

Vinyaampawen
Old 08-21-2002, 06:39 AM   #32
Vinyaampawen
Animated Skeleton

Vinyaampawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Vinyaampawen
Since none of us have seen the Return of the King and The Two Towers, we do not know if Peter Jackson expanded Legolas' role in the subsequent movies. I wish we had seen more of him in the first movie but, since Bloom had not even graduated from acting school when he was cast as Legolas, maybe Jackson wanted to see how good an actor he was before he gave him a lot of lines. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2002, 02:03 PM   #33
PayalS

Sting

Yea, I think he should have had a slightly bigger part in the movie. In the books, I couldn't care less what he does. By now it should be clear as crystal that the only reason I'm saying that is because he's cute.