The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe Existence of Hobbits Discovered

I've just seen the most peculiar and intriguing item on the 6 o'clock news. Apparently scientists have discovered ancient remains of a strain of human which stood just 3 foot tall, and they are already dubbing this the 'hobbit'. Here is thenews story from the BBC website which also has a link to Nature website. Read it for yourselves, it will make you go ----->

Apparently they found stone tools with the remains, but there was no indication of pipes or tankards.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Bet tehy didn't find any shoes

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
And people say its fantasy!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Discuss?
Old 10-27-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Oceanic

Quote:
a kind of tropical Lost World populated by giant lizards and miniature elephants.
New reports suggest Mumakil were greatly exaggerated in accounts of the War of the Ring.

Indonesia seems like a bit of a far cry from The Shire.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Hooplah (a word I love, and you should to)

Well, I believe that this whole business about 'new discoveries' is quite a bit of hooplah, as they say. Hobbits have been well known for years, and many were prominent members of society in in the previous centuries. I'm sure, if any of them were around today, they might well be slighted to be included in this futile endeavor to uncover 'hobbits.'

Homo sapiens hobbitus: A member of the homo sapiens genus, standing slightly shorder than the typical member of the sub-group. These "hobbits" share certain generic characteristics with the two other members of the homo sapiens genus, homo numenorius drownius, and homo gondorius normalus. There is also a mild resemblance shared by all members of the genus and the related sub-group, homo leafearius, which includes the legendary, and elusive, often hunted homo legolasus. The Class that includes homo leaferius and sapiens also has distinct relationships to australopithicus wosarensis (Interesting Note: The excavating archaeologist, Ronald Mo-Lanson, found the first preserved skeletal remains of the wosarensis, who he named Ghan-Lucy-Ghan, after a popular Beatles song), australopithicus pettymidgetus, homo nastiorcus, homo bigorcus, and, of course, homo giganticorcwithclubsandnastyteethandstuffus (also called, "bignames").

Hobbits are of substantial less height than the other homo sapiens, but, through adapted intermarraige, can attain a greater height. There are three sub-divisions of the hobbit species: Stores, who have an otherwordly obsession with shopping (from which Prof. Tolkien derived the 'Stoors'), Phallowjives, the infamous Hobbit-Rappers of the Paleolithic Era, (from which Prof. T. derived 'Fallohides') and the ones that nobody remembers...not even me...Otherwise, Hobbits are pretty much the same, and I'm sure you lot can find plenty of scholarly essays on the subject of Hobbits here.

Some notable hobbits:
James Madison: The only hobbit ever to be President of the US
Napoleon Bonaparte: The only French hobbit
Grigori Rasputin: The only Hobbit/Istari/Czarist
Abigail Adams: The only hobbit feminist
Caligula: Still holds the record for "Craziest Hobbit in the History of History"
Darth Vader: Don't ask.

Hey, it's mirth, ain't it?

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #6
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
How great is it that they can just throw in the words "hobbit" and "hobbit-sized" and people know what it means?

Go Tolkien!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
White Tree

That`s pretty cool! I was giggling as I was reading through it. Then I came upon my last name which is weird, because it`s not at all common. Hmm... A distant relative of mine discovered a hobbit!
Old 10-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #8
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lalwende,

I didn't see this, and also put a thread up in N&N! It's really quite amazing, since they lived at the same time as homosapiens! I'll ask Esty to erase my thread as it came after yours.

~Child
Old 10-27-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
My father is a retired evolutionary biologist, and a huge fan of Tolkien -- the two books that he insisted I read as a teenager were The Lord of the Rings and The Origin of Species. . .

He is going to absolutely flip when he sees this! Thanks for calling my attention to it!!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:31 PM   #10
turgon
Haunting Spirit

turgon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril interesting

How's that quote go? "there are more things in heaven and earth then dreampt."
Old 10-27-2004, 06:46 PM   #11
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
The 18,000-year-old specimen, known as Liang Bua 1 or LB1, has been assigned to a new species called Homo floresiensis.
LB1, or Lobelia.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:52 AM   #12
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I have not complied with Child's request to delete or merge her thread in the N&N forum (Headline News: We Have Hobbit Ancestors); I think since this one is exploring the mirthful aspects of the topic (thanks for a great laugh, Kransha!), the other one can be there for serious responses. You can choose which approach you prefer...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:54 AM   #13
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

If they find any gold rings near the remains...well..........

So, if remains of exceptionally tall people are found, will they claim to have found elves? And what would Ent remains look like?

Quote:
My father is a retired evolutionary biologist
I love the way you say this so casually - that's amazing! Although, bet he never got arrested for sneaking onto a top secret Vulcan bomber like my dad did.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:15 AM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe He hairy ...

I thought that it was just Hobbits' feet that were unusually hairy?

(btw I was quite astonished to see that this made the front page of my regular newspaper today - and no it's not a "red-top" before you ask.)
Old 10-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

According to the National Geographic article linked to by CHild (in the other thread), Homo Floresiensis and the Dwarf Mumakil both became extinct because of a volcanic eruption. Doggone that Mount Doom, anyway.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #16
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Good hair day for Hobbit Hunters
Old 10-28-2004, 08:39 AM   #17
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
The myths say Ebu Gogo were alive when Dutch explorers arrived a few hundred years ago and the very last legend featuring the mythical creatures dates to 100 years ago.
I have a really bad feeling about this ...
Old 10-28-2004, 08:52 AM   #18
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Makes the idea of their descending from the Sackville Bagginses even stronger-- did Lotho have any children? Oh, wait, nevermind-- Wormtongue ate Lotho, not the other way around.... eeeew
Old 10-28-2004, 09:20 AM   #19
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Well, just wait for the evidence of the first umbrella. They probably were used as ancient parachutes, for a quick drop out of those high trees once the Komodo Dragons wandered away.

And homo hobbitus does sound much better than homo lilliputus.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #20
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This whole thing is getting a little eerie for the Mirth forum: 3-foot hobbits who seem to have enough hair to leave some behind and were destroyed by a volcano! (This book ends differently than the one I read.)

Want to get even stranger? I looked through the articles linked through Mark12_30's post. Apparently, these Hobbits also had prodigious appetites. Dutch settlers said they left out food for the little people, which was promptly devoured. But not only did the Hobbits eat the food--they also ate the gourd bowl in which the food was served! Those little guys obviously liked to chow down.....

At least we've solved that vexing question that has long been raised on this forum: exactly where did Hobbits come from. The next time anyone posts such a question I will definitely refer them to the Isle of Flores (an appropriate origin for a flower-loving people!).

For anyone who'd like to speculate on what all this implies for our "collective folk memory", please follow the gourd-lined trail up to the hobbit ancestors' thread in Novices and Newcomers.....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 10-28-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #21
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
This whole thing is getting a little eerie for the Mirth forum: 3-foot hobbits who seem to have enough hair to leave some behind and were destroyed by a volcano! (This book ends differently than the one I read.)
Whoa! This is getting a bit scary!

I thought this could possibly be some kind of joke at first, especially when I heard the term 'Ebu Gogo', but I'm not sure if this could be an angram of anything in particular, as it suggests it might be.

I was watching Richard and Judy earlier (I watch all the best TV shows...) and Richard Dawkins (Hawkins?) was on and he got most annoyed at the fact the media - and all the Tolkienites - have dubbed the find 'hobbits'. Well, it just goes to show how far the idea of 'hobbits' has sunk into our minds - maybe in two thousand years people will think Middle Earth actually existed. Oh wait, we do this now, don't we?
Old 11-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #22
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
- maybe in two thousand years people will think Middle Earth actually existed. Oh wait, we do this now, don't we?
You betcha!

This is quite odd and endlessly fascinating. Makes me actually think about and remember evolution discussions from AP Biology last year...
Old 02-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #23
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
And what would Ent remains look like?
Coal
Old 02-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #24
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry for Mr. Dawkins that the world has Tolkien on the brain, as seen here.