The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
The Grond-Pullers

What exactly were the beasts who helped pull Grond to the Gates at Minas Tirith? I have looked many places, including tuckborough.net, but I have yet to find much information. Anyone have any good theories?
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

I always wondered that too, those rhino looking things.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, in the book there is no description of what they were.

I don't know, I remember when I first read it, I was influenced by a desk game "The Battle at the Pelennor Fields", and there, Grond had to be accompanied by a group of Trolls (of course, as it is written in LotR) and a group of...
Well, since I would like people to come here with interesting opinions not influenced by anything I say, I suggest everyone to think of what do they imagine when they read that part before they read on. Done? Okay. Note please that I don't stand for it nowadays. I actually do not have a clear image in mind, it could have been some fell-beast-like things. In that game, they were oliphants.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
In the movie the designers were allowed to experiment with any type of beast for the part with Grond
Old 02-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
"Great beasts drew it, Orcs surrounded it, and behind walked mountain-trolls to wield it."
(ROTK)

I have no idea what could be meant by that...but I guess if they had been oliphaunts Tolkien would have mentioned that
Maybe some strange cow-like creatures from the East
Old 02-13-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
The Great Beasts would probably be one of those exotic creatures from the east, alot of crazy things go on there (Troll-Men for example)

I would say that the Great beasts from the movie shouldn't be followed as true, like i said before, they were left to the designers imagination for the beasts.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Still I think that makes sense

Firstly, it makes sense that similar creatures would be used as beasts of burden, because we see similar ones being used in our world
Secondly, we know cattle existed in the East. For example the Kine of Araw, the oxen that lived on the lands around the Sea of Rhun, and that were said to be descendants of the cattle of Orome.
So perhaps the cattle further east were much, much larger in size...could be a possibility.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I was on tuckborough.net recently, and the thain suggested that the Grond Pullers could possibly be Mumakil.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Yes, this is what many suppose (cf. my post above). But Tolkien never said what it was, and personally I am strongly against the opinion that they were Mumakil. This just would be too easy Myself, I'd add this right below the Bombadil and Balrog Wings problem. If we were given the possibility to ask the Professor, I would ask him this as well (I think he must have something in mind, at least vaguely - either Mumakil or oxes or spell-enslaved ankylosauri or monstrous crossbreed of Fenrir&Sleipnir).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote