The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Barrowdowns authors

So, many of us have attempted to, or have successfully, written a fantasy epic/novel. I know that I have PM'd some of you after learning about your stories, and I have gotten alot of good advice...not to mention inspiration.

So, I would like to open a thread where our very own authors can post links or what not to their posts in order to present their stories and/or ideas and comments. Sadly, I am eons away from completing my own (although it is coming along quite nicely) and I probably will not be able to post it any time very soon.

But I think that all of us here at the 'downs would love to read some of these great epics that you might have stored in your long lost folder in the dregs of your hard drive or those scores of composition notebooks hiding under the bed for the right chance to jump out and amaze us.

So without further delay...lets see what we can do.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

As some of you may know, I personally am at university studying creative writing in the hope to get some of my stuff published at some point in time. At the moment I've got a sort of pseudo-mythology that I've been working on for the last 10 years that I'm trying desperately to get done.
My advice to any writers is to write. Then re-write. Then re-write again. And again. And a final time before getting some other people to read it. then re-write again. Repeat until good.

Also, it really helps to write your first draft on paper with a pen. Its long and labourious, but it does help the following re-write.

But don't get your hopes up for a novel version of The Phantom and Alien.

Not just yet anyway.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Narya

I write a column, and I do creative nonfiction.

I have one unfinished novel that I've given up for dead. It involves fairy tale and the supernatural, but it's just so lifeless at the moment. There is no plot. It makes we want to cry.

I am currently working on an ambitious project about the trade in human organs/human trafficking.

I am so screwed.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I write quite a bit, but I'm afraid I'm not terribly good at it. I actually find the process of writing (i.e. real, substantive writing) quite laborious and very difficult. I would go so far as to say that I generally don't enjoy writing. However, I very much enjoy having written; I also enjoy the process of devising plots and characters. I've also dabbled in verse, most recently trying out the Old English alliterative form that Tolkien was so fond of.

I generally don't have the same urge to write non-fiction; I suppose this is because the main purpose of non-fiction is to convey information and I don't seem to have much information in need of conveyance. I have, however, done some outlining for projected books on two somewhat esoteric topics - one on role-playing (D&D etc.) as an art form and one on a solipsistic approach to logical positivism.

Sorry to add another 'I write but I have nothing worth sharing' post to thread.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:30 AM   #5
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

At this point in time, I am working on the map. With every little tweak and change, the whole thing comes closer together, and it is really cool to see how everything is evolving so fast. Making a title of a place better sounding and then adding it and working it into the language is very cool.

Just had to share my excitement.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 12-15-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
Also, it really helps to write your first draft on paper with a pen. Its long and labourious, but it does help the following re-write.
Whatever you write, follow this instruction...

Somehow, even in this age of information technology there is no media that could beat a pen and a paper, where you can draw arrows and make addenda wherever you wish etc. with the ease only a paper allows you - and where you actually write differently!

Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Whatever you write, follow this instruction...

Somehow, even in this age of information technology there is no media that could beat a pen and a paper, where you can draw arrows and make addenda wherever you wish etc. with the ease only a paper allows you - and where you actually write differently!

And with pen and paper, you can cook up some of the most beautiful maps eyes have ever witnessed.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Perhaps the Barrow-Writers could form a group - like a Yahoo Group or something - to share their work? I suppose we would need more of us.

I like to write, though rarely get round to it.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
If you've not read The Hobbits by our beloved and oft-missed Gilthalion, don't miss it -- it's primo work. The link is to the old forum site, and may take some time to load. Here's the link:

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...&f=25&t=000038
Old 02-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Well, I do have one story of mine completed, and two others in progress, and I try to write as much as I can every day. Yet there is no prospect of publishing them. For one thing, I am able to write only in English so those of my country wouldn't be too intrested in my work. And anyway, who would risk publishing the works of an eighteen year-old?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Most of my writing consists of keeping a journal, academic writing, and poetry that I would NEVER let anyone else see, along with a couple "comedic" plays about our college experience with friends. I want to tackle short stories and possibly a novel eventually, but I don't have a story that I want to write yet.