The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
An unexpected party

While browsing around for recipes, I ran across this delightful site's entry on Bilbo's Tea:

http://historicalfoods.com/food-in-t...hobbit-recipes

Plenty of recipes there! It set me thinking how fun it would be to stage something of my own rendition of "The Unexpected Party" in advance of the seeing the Hobbit movies. Wouldn't really be a reinactment, would it? I do imagine it could be fun though, dwarves or no dwarves.

Is anyone else thinking of doing something special before setting off to the theater?

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 06-19-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Fixing the link
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hi Hilde, the link doesn't work for me.... but at the moment I am far from sure I will be setting out for the theatre.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The link didn't work for me either.

I'm not sure if I'll go to the cinema, and the movie is a long way off still, but if I will, it sounds nice to have a small party (even if expected, I'd say long expected) right before.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

There! I think the link has been mended now. Hope you enjoy it!

I'm still on the fence about the seeing the movies, but imagine my curiousity may win out. In a way I regret seeing LoTR, since it muddied my internal interpretation, but it also spurred me to reread the books. That was the good part. I do think I got far more out of them at an older age.

Perhaps it would be a pleasant diversion, avoiding the movie's temptation via a long expected enactment of a memorable fictional feast?

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 06-20-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Everything I've read about TH so far makes me not want to see it. But I know me so I will pay the money and see it.

These recipes look amazing. I really want to try a few of these.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'll probably go to the movie theatre just to see how bad TH movie really is. It would be quite cool if I make some of the things from the site, invite a few other people who read Tolkien over to my house (or unexpectedly come to theirs), and have a short party. I think I'll do that.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Regardless of the Hobbit movie(s) (which I'll most probably end up seeing just to acquire the right to diss them), that site is full of droolworthy yummy goodness - thanks very much for the link, Hilde! Melton Mowbray Pork Pie sounds like something I'd love to make one day when I have the time. And buttered scones... *swoon* I envy those dwarves!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It seems very surreal that this needs explaining!!! I disagree about the choice of tea. It was the links to India that helped popularise tea drinking and I think it should be a blend of Indian black teas, never ever with cream.

Melton Mowbray pies are heaven but it is one of those protected things - so you can only truly make one in situ... they are the most calorific foodstuffs on the planet.

Hmm time I invited PI for (low) tea again... cucumber sandwich anyone?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Yes please, with a dash of paprika if you don't mind....

So "high tea" generally means high in calories, and "low tea" is somewhat more diet friendly?

I was happy to find the recipe for seed cakes and have always thought that they sounded dreadful. "Caraway" and "Cake" shouldn't be used in the same beath let alone recipe. But now I can make some just to make sure!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh no you can have a seriously calorific low tea!!!

Actually seed cake I hadn 't tried before I read the Hobbit and at first imagined it like the things you give birds. But I it isn't bad just not very interesting. Kummel is a much better use of caraway seeds!