User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #2241
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
I'm really sorry my life has been taking over the world with finishing up classes and such. I'll try and come up to speed this afternoon some time.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #2242
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Oh. I see.

P.S. Crabannan is not at all short. He is, in fact, quite tall.

Now that we've got our characters all cleared up...

Old 12-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #2243
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Groin, I don't know if your rep was meant to nudge me...but I thought it might be appropriate to tell you that I've been busy the past two days working on an essay and that's why I haven't written. Tonight is my last final, though, so this evening, after the final, I will probably post. Yippee!

-- Folwren
Old 12-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #2244
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nienna View Post
I'm really sorry my life has been taking over the world with finishing up classes and such. I'll try and come up to speed this afternoon some time.
Yes, I want to see more of your writing!

Sounds good Foley. I was not trying to nudge you, I just had the opportunity and I took it. Looking forward to your post.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #2245
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Groin, I've answered...maybe it's lame, but I can't figure out a better reply at this point in time.

Lommy, I've snagged your character Modtryth, hope you'll be around soon to answer Saeryn and help, maybe.

-- Foley
Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 AM   #2246
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Poor Saeryn! My baby's all grown up and having morning sickness!

Foley, I love watching you write her. I really do. Poor girl. I do not envy her this pregnancy.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #2247
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yes, I'm finally here and I'll try to write for Modtryth today yet.

And I really really do pity my characters... haha just wait for the day they make up a terrorist league of wronged people with their sister...
Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #2248
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Groin, I've answered...maybe it's lame, but I can't figure out a better reply at this point in time.
Not lame, clarified. Lithor has turned into a pessimist on this subject. I replied.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #2249
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Given the insanity that is the Christmas holidays--I'm off school since Monday, and back at home with family--I should probably just make note of the fact that I'm not likely to be around much, and certainly not once Bostonmoot gets underway. So while Náin presumably didn't scamper off after last Night's events, he may be keeping a low profile. Mention he's around, if you like, but don't expect much interaction.

He can be absorbed in some task of masonry or sculpture, if need be.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #2250
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Ahh... the Bostonmoot... *rips the nearest object in pieces in jealousy*

Well, hopefully we can get this bunch of posts that have been under PM-works the last week published before that so that we can have a new situation then.

To those not knowing about the situation; at least the posts concerning the hearing & verdict of Javan and the post concerning the Lithor-case are under construction. You will drop your jaws, let me assure you! But from what, that I will not tell you as yet...

I'll try to post shortly on the thread as well before going to sleep so that we can nudge the thing forwards a bit to make things ready for the hearings.

But keep on posting anyone not concerned with these "trials" as well so as to keep the place alive.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #2251
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Ahh... the Bostonmoot... *rips the nearest object in pieces in jealousy*
Oh, believe it or not, me and Greenie have quite convinced ourselves that although it would be cool to be there, we wouldn't really enjoy it so much after all and besides, we're probably going to have even more fun on our tour of USA if we ever get to make it!

Folwren, I have replied. Feel free to continue chatting - or if someone wants to approach an ill-looking Saeryn and her half-Dunlending pregnancy-confidante that could be interesting too... Just whoever wants to continue next can do so. Just make Cnebba bring the tea quickly, I don't want him to upset his mum.

Fea - would you like Rowenna to be the "other woman" in Loslote's post taking place in the kitchen? Since Kath and Lhuna aren't around, it is more or less the only option if we don't want to leave Lilige's question hanging in the air, which would be a shame.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #2252
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Oh, believe it or not, me and Greenie have quite convinced ourselves that although it would be cool to be there, we wouldn't really enjoy it so much after all and besides, we're probably going to have even more fun on our tour of USA if we ever get to make it!
Heh, "Sour!, said a fox of the rowanberries." - like the Finnish proverb has it...

But yes, beware USA, we might actually really come and haunt you the next June!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #2253
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Heh, "Sour!, said a fox of the rowanberries." - like the Finnish proverb has it...

But yes, beware USA, we might actually really come and haunt you the next June!
It's partly that, but it's also partly quite reasonable. We can explain to you on Sunday...

ps. This is crazy, I keep making up characters I could use here, but I don't manage to post enough even for my old ones, so it doesn't really make sense. It would be just so cool for example to bring my first ever 'downs RPG character here, poor one, she never got much attention so maybe she could develop here.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:05 PM   #2254
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Fea - would you like Rowenna to be the "other woman" in Loslote's post taking place in the kitchen? Since Kath and Lhuna aren't around, it is more or less the only option if we don't want to leave Lilige's question hanging in the air, which would be a shame.
I surmised that she was, and intended to post, but I'm half crazy already with the amount of stuff I have to get done before Christmas/Bostonmoot. Seriously, eight days is not enough.

So I hereby grant permission for Rowenna to be used judiciously whilst I try to get my spastic life under some semblance of control. Basic tenets: while she's very opinionated on what's going on in the 'new' mead hall, she wouldn't say anything about it. She'll be helpful and cordial, but also a bit distant, since she doesn't really count herself as one of them. If anybody makes demands of her that aren't appropriate to make of a guest (since she's now a guest, not a member of the household), she'll be highly displeased at the lack of propriety being displayed.

Have at it, and just assume you're not going to see much of me for the next three weeks. If you need me, shoot me a PM or IM/e-mail me.

Foley and Nog, when Athanar puts forth his idea, feel free to write in Degas. He'll be delighted by the solution, though he'll obviously want to ascertain the extent of the situation, and get details and everything. He's thorough. But he'll be pleased.

See you when life stops being so hectic!
Old 12-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #2255
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I'll try to post and get back to the PMs today sometime. No promises, but I will try hard.

-- Foley
Old 12-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #2256
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
I'll try to post and get back to the PMs today sometime.
You could also bring the "nobility" into the table with Athanar - if Fea is not, as she says, around.

We could have the short talk between them to then kick the story rolling with the hearings... and then into the uncharted territory where anything could happen...
Old 12-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #2257
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
You could also bring the "nobility" into the table with Athanar - if Fea is not, as she says, around.

We could have the short talk between them to then kick the story rolling with the hearings... and then into the uncharted territory where anything could happen...
Good idea. I'll do that now.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #2258
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Wynflaed's awake... Lottie, if you want Lilige to come over and do her hair that's fine (you can handle the whole post); if not we'll just assume it's happened once she's out and about.

Nog, Lommy, if you could let me know when your PM boxes are free for another message that'd be great.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #2259
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Sorry Mnemo! There's space now.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #2260
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Heh, I thought I posted here that I have room in my PM-box already yesterday evening. But it looks like I didn't (too much work... ).

Javan's hearing is almost ready and Lithor's is... well getting ready (it will be a short novel - at least what comes to the length of it ).
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #2261
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Re: "Who are Javan's parents?"

Nog:

Hahahaha!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #2262
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Heh, I couldn't resist putting that question there as Athanar didn't know it and he kind of had to inquire on Javan anyway...

The "jaw-dropper-post" is about to be posted...

The PM-posters: sorry but I have been busy; I try to move the posts forwards yet today. It would be nice to have the post for Javan's hearing in the thread before Christmas - and hopefully Lithor's not too long after the holidays (yeah, we probably should split it in two so that we could post the first part soonish and see what to add to the rest).
Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #2263
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Heh, I couldn't resist putting that question there as Athanar didn't know it and he kind of had to inquire on Javan anyway...
I, too, found it quite humorous, thought I had no time to say as much, and Fea expressed it so beautifully...and simply.

Quote:
The PM-posters: sorry but I have been busy; I try to move the posts forwards yet today. It would be nice to have the post for Javan's hearing in the thread before Christmas - and hopefully Lithor's not too long after the holidays (yeah, we probably should split it in two so that we could post the first part soonish and see what to add to the rest).
It's no problem. I've been insanely busy since Monday, so I haven't had much chance to write anyway. I will try to get Saeryn's response up soon (as in, later today). No promises, though. I'm still crazy busy.

Also, I agree entirely - the two posts concerning Javan and Lithor should be separate.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #2264
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Well I guess we all will have stuff preceding the Scarburg during the Holidays / Christmas so no problem there. We'll get back to this everyone as they have time.

Quote:
Also, I agree entirely - the two posts concerning Javan and Lithor should be separate.
Heh, I was thinking that the post concerning Lithor's hearing in itself should be separated in two...
Old 12-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #2265
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If no one posts anything - or indicates a wish to post - in the next 24-48 hours, I will post Javan's hearing in to make things roll again...

But any reactions to Athanar's suggestion from Saeryn, Degas, Thornden (or even Wynflaed) - or general feelings before the hearings from anyone else would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #2266
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
But any reactions to Athanar's suggestion from Saeryn, Degas, Thornden (or even Wynflaed) - or general feelings before the hearings from anyone else would be appreciated.
I really do want to post, but every time I sit down to, Mom calls me away. I'll see if I can do something tonight....but we've got family here, so I don't know if I'll be able to. But...if it doesn't happen tonight, maybe it will tomorrow...

-- Foley
Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #2267
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Leaf

Quote:
I really do want to post, but every time I sit down to, Mom calls me away. I'll see if I can do something tonight....but we've got family here, so I don't know if I'll be able to.
Don't feel rushed!

Btw. a question for everyone: do you feel that the way I keep pressing you to roll things forwards is like pressurising you writers over the top or am I too slow in calling for the advancement of the storyline?

I mean it's hard to say from my own perspective which way it is.

So do you wish for more easy time or more strict deadlines? The RL sure is an issue and holidays - *theBostonMootCough* - do play a part... but anyway.

I'm probably sending the hearing or Javan in 24 hours so anything you might like to post before that should be done before that. Unless there are posts that require answers & postponing the one we have done...

(=You can change the way things will go, anyone! Don't forget it. I mean even if some of us plan a few things in here every now or then, anyone can change the course of things by her/his posting... so do not fear of messing around, but do it!)
Old 12-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #2268
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Ah hm. I don't know, I don't know indeed. I tried to write a post today, but I could never quite get anywhere. Don't wait up for me. I think I am feeling that Degas or someone else needs to respond next.

I don't think you're being too pushy, generally. But that slight push on Christmas was a little much...otherwise, no, I think you're doing awesome.

-- Foley
Old 12-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #2269
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Since I caught strep and had to postpone my own Boston travels, I'll be around with little to do until Wednesday.

So Degas and Rowenna are available for now, and Degas has shared his thoughts with the group. And revealed that he uses ladies' lotion to soften his hands.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #2270
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Okay. The hearings are about to begin. I'll post Javan's hearing in the evening (12 hours or something from now). Meanwhile feel free to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
I don't think you're being too pushy, generally. But that slight push on Christmas was a little much...
Good to know. Please do everyone complain if I'm pushing things forwards too fast. That should be avoided so that everyone could enjoy writing while the story is hopefully not left to stall either.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #2271
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
So Degas and Rowenna are available for now, and Degas has shared his thoughts with the group. And revealed that he uses ladies' lotion to soften his hands.
Another chickified man.

Quote:
Btw. a question for everyone: do you feel that the way I keep pressing you to roll things forwards is like pressurising you writers over the top or am I too slow in calling for the advancement of the storyline?
I don't know how to explain it, but whenever you start pressing us to write it is as if you are twisting my arm. Every time I want to protest and say that you are pushing us to hard I get this pain in my arm where the...Ow! OW! I give, I give! I'll post!

Let me know if my post for Erbrand is OK, I took the liberty of having the the peasants eat outside of the hall.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #2272
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Also, now that winter has arrived wolves will be coming in abundance kill what they can from the animals of Scarburg. If we need another activity to do in the RPG, a wolf hunt would not be out of order I do not think. Later, however, if you decide to, Nogrod. We have enough to right about now.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #2273
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I took the liberty of having the the peasants eat outside of the hall.
Peasants?

Now from where exactly did those people drop in?

I don't remember there ever been peasants in lord Eodwine's Hall and I doubt Athanar would bring ones around either. The countryside around the Hall is full of peasants so the lords don't actually need to carry "their own" around...

But... I think there is an issue here which this amazing appearance of peasants actually brings to light, and I think it has never been thought about.

So the surrounding countryside provides for the Mead Hall; the meat, the cereals, the wood etc. That's what the discussions with the local lords will be about besides swearing allegiance to the king via the Mead Hall. Lord Eodwine was not too enthusiastic about meeting the local lords but the fact that their supplies they had brought with them were running low was the reason he had to finally go on with it. And it was the promise of the lords that they would send them supplies. So clearly lord Eodwine didn't have peasants with cattle & stuff to keep the Mead Hall self-sufficent. And I think that is a good idea: a Mead Hall is not a peasant farm but king's institution dealing with law and order.

But it would actually be reasonable if the Mead Hall had like a host of chicken and maybe a cow or two (and a few pigs to feed on the leftovers and stuff), or something like that, just to get some daily supplies like eggs and milk the easy way.

Now do we need peasants to manage some chicken and a cow or two? I think we need to go only a generation back in Finland (or US?) where normal small-farmers handled a number of cattle & smaller animals as a norm. So I'd say the people in the kitchen could easily manage that - if it's a question of only providing eggs and milk.

Let's think about that.

Yeah Groin, a wolf-hunt is a good idea. I actually have an idea whom Athanar would order for the mission...

I'm going to check the post for Javan's hearing and hopefully post it soon enough.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #2274
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Another chickified man.
Yes, a highly trained warrior noble who can take out anybody in his surroundings with a sword and almost anybody with a Rohanian/Gondorian equivalent of Mui Thai, who's also beaten the tar out of pirates on the open seas, and happens to like having hands that are callused in the appropriate places so he doesn't mess up the notes when he's playing traditional songs.

He's clearly a sissy because he's into personal hygiene and understands he's attractive to the ladies.

My oh my, women just loathe clean confident men with no fear of... gasp! Lotion!

Anyway, Nog: I've always kind of assumed there was a cow or two on premises, and a collection of chickens. Maybe a goat to range around and keep the grass down and provide milk. In this sort of culture, it would be the norm for somebody to be going out and milking in the morning, for kids to be set to collecting eggs from wherever the hens have hidden them, for buckets of milk to be sitting in a cool place, and for girls about Aedre's age to be boredly churning butter.

I took it so for granted I never even mentioned it. As a center of business more than a farm, they certainly wouldn't have all their own livestock (whereas Degas is clearly the lord of a rural holding where the number of piglets and ladybugs is of massive import), but they'd have the basics: milk and eggs close enough that they needn't be transported.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #2275
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
In this sort of culture, it would be the norm for somebody to be going out and milking in the morning, for kids to be set to collecting eggs from wherever the hens have hidden them, for buckets of milk to be sitting in a cool place, and for girls about Aedre's age to be boredly churning butter.

I took it so for granted I never even mentioned it. As a center of business more than a farm, they certainly wouldn't have all their own livestock (whereas Degas is clearly the lord of a rural holding where the number of piglets and ladybugs is of massive import), but they'd have the basics: milk and eggs close enough that they needn't be transported.
Like I thought as well. So the household-staff (basically the kitchen staff) could do it.

On another note: Are you guys willing to post in reaction to Javan's hearing or should we step forwards? Lithor's hearing (and W & W's) is more or less ready and could be posted as well. So what do we do: wait for reactions (or other possible posts), or bring things forwards?
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #2276
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Like I thought as well. So the household-staff (basically the kitchen staff) could do it.
Yes. And if Nienna is interested/willing, gathering eggs and/or churning butter might be a very good task to keep Aedre out of mischief.

It can be safely assumed that Frodides (or someone else, if they want to have done it) has been milking the cow or cows (I don't see more than two, really; enough milk for baking would be all they'd need, and they wouldn't want so much it would spoil) in the mornings, and the kids have probably had to go looking for eggs unless there's a hen coop. Hens are jerks, really, about trying to get their offspring to hatch via stealth egg-laying in sneaky places. But it would be so much a matter of routine that it wouldn't likely be incorporated into story parts of the story, if you follow me.

Like eating or sleeping: it's just part of the normal day.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:52 PM   #2277
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod, I think it'd be interesting to have Javan and Raban meet. Just a thought.

I'm off to bed now, folks.

-- Foley
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #2278
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Ah, poor Javan. It's hard to realize the point of learning discipline until you've learned it.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #2279
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Wow, the trial turned out different than I imagined it. Where was Aedre? Where were the witnesses? One man jury and prosecutor and the accused is also the defendant. It was more of a show, it was already clear that Javan was going to be guilty all that needed to be found out was what on. Should not Aedre also share in a punishment for not behaving lady like? In this case I find Athanar's iron fisted rule to be anything but compassionate or fair.

I do not find humiliation in-front of the entire hall to be a better punishment than a good swat and the bottom. The verdict was a clever and just one, but I think since the offense was private, Thornden, Wynflaed, and Athanar should have done it in private and not make a "trial" out of it.

Love the writing, but disagree with the outcome. Now you know where I am coming from.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 12-29-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #2280
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

The offence wasn't private, and nor was there any question about who did it. They weren't concerned with why he did, only that he shouldn't have done it. So, I think that they didn't need witnesses.

You're right - we forgot Aedre altogether. Oh well.

As for the outcome, it came as much as surprise to me as it did to everyone else. I liked the decision. I don't think it was very humiliating. I think the fact the was tried by the eorl because he hit the eorl's daughter was fitting.

I agree, though, that Aedre does deserve some form of punisment.

Thanks for posting Groin...even if I did write back to refute all your arguments, I still liked hearing your opinion. I just wanted to try to explain things, not so much as argue things.

-- Foley