The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
We Easterlings are now...neutral!?

Now, I do not expect this thread to get much traffic, because it is just a critical view on one subject from the ROTK movie.
In TTT, Easterlings from Rhun are shown marching into Mordor by way of the Udun Black Gates. This is the scene where Sam slides down the cliff and Frodo has to hide them both under his cloak until the suspicious Easterlings move off. Anyway, the Easterlings are never shown in the movies again, not even at the Last Battle at the Black Gate, where they fight the Host of the West in the book alongside orcs of Mordor, and other armies allied with Sauron. And, while I am on the topic, there were no Variags at Pelennor Fields, and they too fought there in the books. Oh well...
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:45 AM   #2
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I think it was a trade-off. Dumping Bombadil entirely from the good side was matched by limiting some of the minor baddies.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

I suppose...

But then again, there was no Glorfindel either, but a super-heroic Arwen.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
Old 10-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
But then again, there was no Glorfindel either, but a super-heroic Arwen.
A super-heroic beautifully good looking Arwen.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:22 AM   #5
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
A super-heroic beautifully good looking Arwen.
Aye, I'll drink to that.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
If you get the ROTK video game, you will be able to play as Aragorn, Legolas, or Gimli on Pelennor Fields and have a great time killing, yes, Easterlings. You'll even hear Aragorn call them that in the game. They look just like the ones in the TTT movie.

But, yeah, that's the video game, not the movie. I would have liked to see them in ROTK, but I can't say I missed them with everything else that was going on.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have wondered about the wherabouts of the Easterlings in the rest of the movie, and I believe I do see that distinct helmet shape on some of the army of Mordor that rushes into Minas Tirith after the gate is broken down. There is maybe a second where they could be seen, but they're moving so fast they could have been orcs. I've freezeframed it and looked at it for awhile, and it is about as close to the Easterlings you get.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I alwasy regreted not being able to see Theoden kill "the black Serpent" in the films...it however sounds interesting, I'll take a look at the battle and look for any possible Easterlings
Old 12-31-2006, 02:23 AM   #9
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
I alwasy regreted not being able to see Theoden kill "the black Serpent" in the films...it however sounds interesting, I'll take a look at the battle and look for any possible Easterlings
Here, through some DVD snapshots I took, I've found some here and there at the Siege of Gondor:

(apologies if the pictures are too big, I didn't know what else to do)

Personally, I don't blame them for keeping the Easterlings mostly out of it - with Orcs, Trolls, Nazgul, Giant Spiders, etc. all on the bad side, they might have been overkill (literally!). And we do get this little glimpse anyway.

Also, I read (on wikipedia) that they avoided having the evil men killed too often as that might be too 'realistic' for violence, thus upping the ratings too high.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
goldfinger
Haunting Spirit

goldfinger has just left Hobbiton.
I had the same idea about this as you had Ninja, why aren't the easterlings shone ever again in the movie? But guess what? One day I was watching it, and if you watch the part after the trolls come through the gate of Minas Tirith and the Orcs and stuff charge at Gandalf and the troops. When it goes to the side shot of this happening you can see the easterlings with spears and their crazy looking helmets, in the backround attacking too. Go and look hard and you will see for yourself.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #11
goldfinger
Haunting Spirit

goldfinger has just left Hobbiton.
Oh never mind there's already shots of it.
goldfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I always tried to identify them by their weapons, they had a pretty interesting look...but with so many Orc spears I wasn't able to see anything...
anyway, thanks for the pics, they clear this matter up
Old 01-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #13
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thanks muchly for the pics, Sir Kohran.
Could you tell me which chapter these were taken? I want to see for myself.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #14
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
anyway, thanks for the pics, they clear this matter up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja91
Thanks muchly for the pics, Sir Kohran.
That's okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja91
Could you tell me which chapter these were taken? I want to see for myself.
They come from the battle at Minas Tirith, when the infantry charge in, just after Grond breaks through the gate and the Trolls attack.