The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2003, 06:55 PM   #1
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Lord of the Ring's Awards So Far

Well, we don't want to admit it, but TTT wont be winning Best Picture at the Oscars. To bad. 5 years from now, the judges are going to look back at this year and say, "Why did we give Chicago/Gangs Of New York Best Picture?" This is something that has been going on in Hollywood for a while now. I call it the 'Titanic syndrome'.<P>Yes, I like Titanic, but nearly everybody else doesn't. Personally, I would have chosen L.A. Confedential.<P>Sorry for that 'off topicness' there. The real reson I posted is to look at what awards TTT has won now. I'm not talking about the 'big hollywood critic' awards either. I'm talking mostly about 'movie websites' awards. <P>You see, every movie website has its own once a year awards thing. the websites I want to look at the most are <A HREF="http://www.joblo.com/goldenschmoes-winners-2002.htm" TARGET=_blank>Joblo's Movie Emporium: The Golden Schmoes</A> and <A HREF="http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/bitsy/4th/index.html" TARGET=_blank>The Digital Bits Bitsey Awards</A>.<P>Joblo's awards are mostly about the box office, and Digital Bits is mostly on DVDs.<P>So, here is what Lord of the Rings Won<P>THE 2ND ANNUAL JOBLO MOVIE AWARDS<P>Favorite Movie of the Year: TTT<BR>Best Director of the Year: Peter Jackson <BR>Best Special Effects of the Year: TTT<BR>Best Supporting Actor of the Year: Andy Serkis as Gollum<BR>Coolest Character of the Year: Andy Serkis as Gollum)<BR>Best Music in a Movie: TTT<BR>Best Trailer of the Year: TTT<BR>Best DVD of the Year: FOTR:SE<BR>Best Action Sequence of the Year: TTT: Battle of Helm's Deep<BR>Most Memorable Scene in a Movie: TTT: Battle of Helm's Deep<P>and Runner Up for<P>Breakthrough Performance of the Year: Andy Serkis<BR>Favorite Movie Poster of the Year: TTT<P>They did good there now for the awards for the FOTR:SE DVD at<P>THE DlIGITAL BITS BITSEY AWARDS<P>Best DVD Overall: FOTR:SE<BR>Best DVD Special Edition: FOTR:SE<BR>Best DVD Video (Film To Digital Transfer): FOTR:SE<BR>Best DVD "Making Of" Featurettes: FOTR:SE<BR>Digital In (in other words, the most positive about DVD): Peter Jackson<P>and Runner Up for<P>Best DVD Audio Commentary: FOTR:SE<P><BR>So, even if the critics don't praise LOTR for what its worth, 'the people' sure do. Oh, critics, please find it in your hearts to give LOTR what it desreves.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:13 PM   #2
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Shame on you Oscar`s board members...TTT deserve to win and i dare say should win...
Old 02-23-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Well the BAFTA awards took place this evening (British Academy Film and Television Awards). Here is an excerpt from a news report that I have just read on AOL:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> NONE of the big blockbusters which had collected numerous nominations made a massive impact at the Orange British Academy Film Awards.<P>The biggest winner was Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers which picked up three.<P>They were Best Costume Design, Best Special Effects and the Orange Film of the Year prize which is voted for by cinemagoers. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, Best Costume Design and Special Effects are no surprise. But it is interesting that it picked up the other award. Clearly, the film is a big hit with film-goers generally (well, British film-goers at least). It's almost better than an Academy Award, since the the recognition comes not from a bunch of critics, but from the people who the film was actually made for.<P>This,I think, is fantastic news, since it can only serve to increase people's awareness of JRRT's works and persuade those to read the books who might otherwise have never considered doing so.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:45 PM   #4
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

WHY CAN'T TTT WIN BEST PICTURE?!?! Chicago is most likely going to win. They never liked fantasy films....
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote