The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2002, 04:52 PM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting T-Shirt Contest Winners announced!!!

Barrow-Downs T-Shirt Contest Winners Announced!
Old 09-05-2002, 04:55 PM   #2
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

CONGRATULATIONS, SAMWISE AND LUSH!!!!!!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 04:56 PM   #3
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

YAY!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to Lush and Samwise!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

...i think that's enough smilies for now..

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Galadrie1 ]
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:01 PM   #4
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Congratulations Lush!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Congratulations Samwise!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:07 PM   #5
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

HOLY COW!!!! I just got the e-mail a second ago.......like I said in the letter I WAS NOT EXPECTING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yipes.................
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:16 PM   #6
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

..........and thankyou!!!!!
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
*this li'l hobbit still can't believe it, though.....*

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 09-05-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Congrats, Lush and Sammie! That bust of Frodo is one of a kind for sure. You know... ten more of those and you will have solved your roommate problem. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Mith and I raise a toast in plastic cups! *thwnp* (We will have to get to work on him, he can still recite the lineage of Numenor backwards. These cups are deceptively small, are they not? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

So BW, when are we having our Barrow-Downs "Mug-Shots" contest? Hm?

-Maril

[ September 05, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 09-05-2002, 05:41 PM   #8
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Congratulations Lush and Samwise. Time I ordered my T-Shirt. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2002, 07:07 PM   #9
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

WHAT? I won a t-shirt contest? A dry one? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

All credit should go to Esty, really, because she is the one that took the picture, and she is the one that convinced me that it should be entered in the contest. I was too busy tearing my hair out because I had left Europe to attend one of the top universities in the country (don't ask...). So Esty, here's to you:

This really means a lot to me. This picture was taken on one of the happiest days of my life: I had a good lunch (thanks to Esty) and I was in love (thanks to my own lack of caution).

I am therefore very happy that this day was commemmorated with this photo, in this very special t-shirt, in front of such a magnificent landmark (I often went to the cathedral to pray for the forgiveness of my accumulating sins).

Looking at this photo now, I am reminded that no matter what happens, I am still part of one of the coolest communities ever to be created in cyberspace. I have been going through an extremely tumultuous time in my life right now, and I understand that I have not been a steady contributor to insightful discussion for a while, for which I apologize. Once the dust settles, I will hopefully be able to go back to annoying you guys full-time.

Thank you everyone, the mods, the intellectuals, and the kids, for everything, for the laughs, the rebukes, and the thoughtfullness. Depth is the greatest of heights indeed, and nowhere else is this more evident than right here on this forum. Long die the Downs.

And now, let me pull a Hally Berry and...

P.S. Samwise, your Bear is much sweeter than I could ever be. I can never compete. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2002, 07:26 PM   #10
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Thumbs up

Congrats, Lush! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Samwise, who is slowly coming out of her shock.... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
As for me, I entered 'cause (and I can thank a certain "famous" dwarf for this) I was "inspired" by the "egging on" of a fellow BDer, and I have a friend who offered the use of his scanner, so I thought, "Ah, what the heck." However, I did NOT, I am sooo serious, NOT expect to win ANYTHING! (Just 'cause I didn't expect it, though, please don't change your minds, o great moderators, 'cause now I'll finally get to read The Hobbit and maybe get some of that old Rankin Bass cartoon out of my head!! maybe....)
As for me, I have my buddy and personal LOTR expert to thank for 1)His use of the scanner, and his is the credit for the pic's title!" This was my caption for it.....

"It's okay, Bill, Miss Stacey says the bears in this forest are friendly...."

Those bears and my Sam and Bill are still as they were when I took the picture. Haven't told them or the rest of my collection we won something....I fear they (the other part of my bear collection) would be upset and...well, there's more of them than there are of me.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2002, 07:30 PM   #11
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
P.S. Samwise, your Bear is much sweeter than I could ever be. I can never compete.
TY, Lush--I'll tell "Gerber" you said so...got him at a garage sale for 50 cents...wow, who'da thunk it.....
Old 09-05-2002, 08:39 PM   #12
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

YAY!!!!
Congrats to both of you!!!! Great pics!!!!!!
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 11:14 PM   #13
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Congradualations both of you! I envy lush for the opprutunity to live near such wonderful and ancient buildings. I have yet to really see anything older then one hundred years old, maybe two at best.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:02 AM   #14
Artilien
Pile O'Bones

Artilien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Artilien
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] CONGRATULATIONS!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: Artilien ]
Old 09-06-2002, 11:45 AM   #15
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Congradulations Lush& Samwise!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Cute bears Samwise!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Artillien, I've noticed that you're from Slovenia, we are neighbours...well, almost (I'm from Yugoslavia).
Old 09-06-2002, 01:36 PM   #16
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Heh, TY, shieldmaiden. Last night, I'll admit it, I went in my room, got down on Sam Bill, Gerber and the other Bears' level and announced,

<center>
Guys, we won ! ! !
</center>
My bears are the equivalent of my children, I admit it (there are actually 100+ bears in my collection).... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Gerber was the one who fit best in the shirt, though! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 09-06-2002, 01:50 PM   #17
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Hooray for Lush and Samwise! I must admit, I have not yet bought my shirt, but plan to do so in the future. Maybe I could take a picture of me wearing it in front of one of the many marvels of modern stupidity that Pittsburgh is home to.

Anyway, Lush, what are you planning on doing with that bust? Knowing you, it'll be something interesting. Keep us posted!
Old 09-06-2002, 04:11 PM   #18
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Congragulations you guys!!!!!!

Samwise, your bears are absalutly adorable. Tell Sam and Bill I said hi!
Old 09-06-2002, 04:26 PM   #19
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

TY, Miss Rosie, an' I certainly will!
Old 09-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
1420!

Quote:
I envy lush for the opprutunity to live near such wonderful and ancient buildings.
Oh, I don't live in Cologne, as unfortunate as it is. I currently divide my time between Charlotte and Duke University. Not the happiest combination, so far. Don't worry, one day, you will come to Cologne, and experience the Dom, and all the other wonderful buildings and, uh, people.

Quote:
Anyway, Lush, what are you planning on doing with that bust? Knowing you, it'll be something interesting. Keep us posted!
I'm planning on using it for decoration... unless annoying drunk people continue to invade my dorm room, in which case, it will be used as a weapon, if it's heavy enough.
Old 09-06-2002, 05:27 PM   #21
Eol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Then Frodo would have certainly served a worthy cause! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2002, 04:11 PM   #22
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Congratulations, Lush!!! Just happy a fellow Slav has made it!

Congratulations, Samwise!!! Say hi to your fur companions [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 06:08 PM   #23
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Posolutely, akhtene. Think that shirt will stay on that bear for the rest of time... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2002, 09:55 PM   #24
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Thank you,Poncho8264--welcome to the 'Downs and the thread.

I am torn between finishing the Two Towers first or just plowing into the Hobbit....

By the way, Mr. Barrow Wight, you've got awfully neat handwriting for someone so--uh--"rotted." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]