The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
urbanhiker
Pile O'Bones

urbanhiker has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Istari and Arnor's fall

I apologize if this topic has been addressed previously, but I am curious. The Istari arrived around TA 1000, around the time or slightly after Sauron arose in Mirkwood and settled at Dol Gulder. The Lord of the Nazgul then established Angmar around TA 1300 or 1400 and began his long and ultimately successful war on Arnor and its subsidiary realms. My question is, what were Gandalf, Saruman and any of the other wizards doing while the Witch-King slowly ruined the north kingdoms? Did Tolkien ever attempt to explain their actions or thoughts at this time? Seems like they would/should have been involved, or at least Gandalf would have been involved since he so earnestly participated in the defense of Minas Tirith during the War of the Ring. Thanks!
urbanhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You know, I don't recall ever considering this before.

Although we aren't told the exact arrival time of the Istari, the Tale of Years says:

Quote:
c. 1100 The Wise (the Istari and the chief Eldar) discover that an evil power has made a stronghold at Dol Guldur. It is thought to be one of the Nazgûl.
Appendix A says that the Witch-king began to afflict Arnor in the time of Malvegil of Arthedain, who died in TA 1349.

So Arnor had already fragmented into the three competing mini-kingdoms by the time the Istari had arrived and were active in Middle-earth. Maybe that was a factor in their failure to aid. Perhaps they thought that any attempts to side with one kingdom or the other would only enrage the others, and any attempts to force reconciliation would not only do the same, but would be in conflict with their instructions from the Valar.

Also, though it might seem callous, the mission of the Istari was to resist Sauron, not necessarily all his minions. They already thought that the power in Dol Guldur was a Nazgûl, so they wouldn't have had any illusions that the Lord of Angmar was Sauron.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Good question, urbanhiker! *scratches head*

I'm wondering - what were the Istari doing at all during that period of time? It wasn't until 2463 that the White Council was formed. That's a millenium-and-a-half later. The Chronicle of Arda in the Enc. of Arda says no word about the Istari from year 1000 to that point. What in Middle-Earth were they doing?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
urbanhiker
Pile O'Bones

Speculation will provide us with all kinds of possible reasons why the actions of the Istari are unmentioned for the first 1,000 years after their arrival. Perhaps, as Inziladun has suggested, they were not contractually obligated to fight lieutenants and minions like the Witch-King but rather the Dark Lord himself, and he was as yet incognito in the world. Or maybe they were just biding their time, acclimating to Middle-Earth and meeting elves and men and adjusting to physical form. I guess I could understand that it might take hundreds of years to hike the land, meet the folk dwelling therein, form relationships with all beings of good nature, and in general gather the intimate knowledge of the world one would need to fulfill an Istari's mission.

Still, I find it remarkable that Tolkien apparently chose not to textually elaborate on their early deeds and doings, particularly those of Gandalf and Saruman, when he elaborates on almost everyone and everything else! What kinds of fascinating little journeys and struggles and experiences did they have? I've never read anything but the trilogy, the Hobbit and the Silmarillion so maybe a loremaster on this site will provide us with illumination.

Thank you for your responses! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one left wondering.

Last edited by urbanhiker; 12-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
It could be they were simply not there. My impression is that the Istari were a well-traveled lot, and they journeyed far and wide - to the furthest south and east of east. The blue wizards went east and never returned, and it seemed Radagast became enamored of flora and fauna very early on. It could well be that Gandalf and Saruman went to the furthest ends of Middle-earth, looking into men's hearts and divining the nature of different civilizations. Gandalf learned compassion and how to steel mens' wills, while Saruman learned how to rule men's hearts and minds. They were, to paraphrase Gandalf, "rolling stones".

Last edited by Morthoron; 12-02-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
urbanhiker
Pile O'Bones

I like your idea Morthoron. The notion of Gandalf and the other wizards wandering the earth as rolling stones is something Tolkien also incorporated into Aragorn's character when he journeyed into Rhun where "the stars are strange" (I love that line).

But for 1,000 years? Or even 500?

It's frustrating that Tolkien didn't elaborate on this period in the Istari history since it was a pivotal time in the Third Age: the long offensive of Angmar and the fall of all three northern kingdoms, the rise of the Balrog in Moria and the overthrow of Khazad-Dum, war and turmoil between Gondor and the corsairs of Umbar and other southern kingdoms. Bad time to go missing.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
It could be they were simply not there. My impression is that the Istari were a well-traveled lot, and they journeyed far and wide - to the furthest south and east of east. The blue wizards went east and never returned, and it seemed Radagast became enamored of flora and fauna very early on. It could well be that Gandalf and Saruman went to the furthest ends of Middle-earth, looking into men's hearts and divining the nature of different civilizations. Gandalf learned compassion and how to steel mens' wills, while and Saruman learned how to rule men's hearts and minds. They were, to paraphrase Gandalf, "rolling stones".
Yet at least some of the Istari were meeting with Elves and ruminating over what might be up with Dol Guldur after being in ME scarcely 100 years.