The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2003, 12:13 AM   #1
Dûrlossiel
Haunting Spirit

Dûrlossiel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Self-Esteem Problem?

I was watching TTT last night and realised something, um, odd.

I do believe that the Ring has a low sense of self-esteem. Think about the fact that everyone who bears it for any length of time eventually calls it "precious." Why would it need to be called precious all the time if it had good self-esteem?

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
Dûrlossiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:39 AM   #2
KayLynn

Ring

This must be why it makes each of its owners determined never to part with it. The little thing is afraid of rejection. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2003, 01:12 AM   #3
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

Hi, big sis. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think that the Ring has more than a self-esteem problem. It has a dependence complex too. Why else would it want to get back to the evil Lord Sauron?
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 01:29 PM   #4
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Yeah, you know, I think you're right. It's also what physcoligists would call an emotional vampire. It takes all the happiness out of whoever has it. I mean, seriously, does Frodo look like he's having fun with that thing? Did Bilbo seem to be enjoying himself? And what about gollum, poor little demented dude, that ring screwed him up big time. I think someone should take the ring to counceling.
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Ring

The Ring must also be very self conscious, think about it, why else would it make it's owners disapear?

*Put's on her tiny fake spectacles* I also have come to belive that the Ring was abused as a youngling. That is the reason it's always stirring up so much violence every where it goes.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:19 PM   #6
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

that ring has issues [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2003, 09:46 PM   #7
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

All of the ring's emotional problems started with Sauron. Here's a quote from the ring when it was interviewed in Rivendell-
"During my years growing up with Sauron, I always felt so... so used."
Old 08-31-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

I think you've got it all backwards, The One Ring doesn't have a self-esteem problem, it's a narcissist! I was having lunch with The One just last week...
Me: So, One Ring, how's your mother?
One: Please, call me Precious.
Me: Precious... yess precioussss musn't upset the precious *coughcough* erm... I think I should go...
One: Can't handle the temptation eh? yah, I'm used to it [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2003, 03:22 PM   #9
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
I also have come to belive that the Ring was abused as a youngling.
Now that's funny, because I have always believed that the Ring is a very spoiled child. Instead of no self esteem, it's got self esteem coming out of its proverbial ears.

I mean really: you're the only "child" (Hence also the "only child" syndrome) of a really powerful lord who lives for you, wars were fought over your posession, etc.

The reason it made everyone so darn icky was no doubt due to the fact that it was angry at being kidnapped. There it was, sitting on Papa Sauron's hand, doing what it did best, and up comes this ugly beardy man with a knife and hurts Daddy and carts it off. Unfortuately, the rescue party bungled things up horribly and the poor little Precious got lost...wouldn't you be resentful?

Plus the fact that it was in the posession of, shall we say lesser mortals, long enough to build up a deep-seated resentment for everyone.

And then the only beings who may have been equal to Pop blatantly refused you, that's just mean.

Any one of these things is enough reason to pronounce the Precious "mentally unstable", which I think it is.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote